Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Lustmord56
Intercepting Fist

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Lustmord56 »

Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman

CHarles Haley was a psycho
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst;" [Thomas Paine]

http://www.teethofthedivine.com
http://www.myspace.com/erikdigitalmetal
http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/Lustmord/
http://www.metalreview.com
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

father of lies wrote:
NANOplague wrote:
danox3 wrote:The Necronomicon - Donald Tyson -15/10

Must read. I'm basically re-reading it in his Novel "Alhazred", which is a novelization of the Necronomicon. And this isn't the stupid Sumerian paperback you can find in every teenage devil worshipers backpack. Tyson has adapted all of Lovecraft's creations into a sort of "Necromancer's guide to Ancient Middle East".
I must check this out.
I want to check this out, as well. Donald Tyson is the guy that made the Necronomicon tarot deck, which is pretty cool... I think he's the guy that wrote the article about HPL in the Disinfo Book of Lies, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, most of his books are "Practical Magic" crap, he even did a Necronomicon Grimoire, which is pretty silly in my eyes, but whatever.

The Tarot deck is cool as well, if you into that sort of stuff.
Nissos
Gear in the Machine

Post by Nissos »

the dark knight returns 8/10
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Somehow I seem to have LOST Children of Men and The Cat That Walks Through Walls or whatever the fuck, so I started on Valis.

First 35 pages? 1000000000/10.
fvkk
anfo666
dj/magician/biker

Post by anfo666 »

el-Falso
know it all douche
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

I am still reading the Brothers Karamazov... I just read the section "Rebellion." Holy shit. That chapter alone is a fucking masterwork.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

father of lies wrote:Somehow I seem to have LOST Children of Men and The Cat That Walks Through Walls or whatever the fuck, so I started on Valis.

Too low. +it only gets better.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
faggotmachine
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by faggotmachine »

Dream War, The Bush Cheney Junta by Gore Vidal.

Awesome book. Dude makes reading easy. I love his little humor tidbits that he puts here and there, makes for more than just an info read.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

riley-o wrote:
father of lies wrote:Somehow I seem to have LOST Children of Men and The Cat That Walks Through Walls or whatever the fuck, so I started on Valis.

Fuck Yes menz. PKD's best stuff IMO.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

MANTIS wrote:
riley-o wrote:

Fuck Yes menz. PKD's best stuff IMO.
It's tough to call that, but I love how personal that one is. I don't want to ruin anything FOL DON'T CLICK THIS
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
but the way he keeps switching back and forth between 1st and 3rd person perspective as Horselover Fat and himself, while keeping them seperate characters, is masterful.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I clicked it. I'm like halfway through, that was no spoiler...
fvkk
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

yes, excellent blending of "reality" and "fantasy."

I would say from the brief passages of his (non-fiction) Exegesis present in VALIS that I'd love to read all 8000 pages of it or whatever, but in reality... I wouldn't actually be down for that.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Have you read Radio Free Albemuth? I'm curious what the differences are from that version to VALIS.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

MANTIS wrote:yes, excellent blending of "reality" and "fantasy."

I would say from the brief passages of his (non-fiction) Exegesis present in VALIS that I'd love to read all 8000 pages of it or whatever, but in reality... I wouldn't actually be down for that.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Have you read Radio Free Albemuth? I'm curious what the differences are from that version to VALIS.
I would drop everything and read that if I could get a full version of Exegesis.

I've read Radio Free Albemuth but it was years ago. I need to pick up a copy and read them back to back; I remember RFA was a lot less personal but was much more cohesive, and pretty distinctly a story and less autobiography. It felt more like an extrapolation of the thinks PKD felt he had experienced and what they would mean in the future.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

I like the VALIS/Cosmic Trigger crossovers. (Intentional?)
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I would say so. Didn't they know each other pretty well? I think it's CT2 or 3 where Bob talks about the break in at PKD's apartment being done by Nixon. Hey, I wonder if Scumfucker knows that.
fvkk
Nissos
Gear in the Machine

Post by Nissos »

VALIS is my favorite book. It's because I relate to the experiences in the book... I thought I found my soulmate in it at the time...

just finished the comic series Preacher. either a 7.5 or 8 / 10.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Alright. Progress. They just went to Sonoma.

This book is fucking with my fucking brains. Maybe a month ago, druga convinced me that I didn't exist, except as a shadow on the memories of a few people. I decided that the only way to truly exist for any period of time is to evolve from human into a purely informational state. Evolve into a metapor, a concept. Information. Living information. Plasmate.

Fuck.

FUCK.

GAH.
fvkk
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
9.5/10
Deducted a half-point because the subject matter is not exactly my thang. Fucking masterful book, good use of an unreliable narrator of sorts, and probably one of the most subtle books I've read.
This is actually a spoiler, so be warned:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The scene where he is serving everyone at that big dinner and the French guy's foot hurts and his dad is dying upstairs? The particular sort of tension he builds out of that is amazing.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
7/10
I think I fucked up on this one. Read it too slow, on work breaks and such. I thought the image of Jim the book provides is excellent, and as always Conrad nails the details of the settings of the book and gives the impression he knows exactly what he is talking about. Found the book a little long-winded in its description of Jim's flight and some aspects of the inquiry, but that may be because I went through it in small bursts.

What's better, the Secret Agent or Under Western Eyes? If y'all have ever read anything besides Brett Easton Ellis and Philip K Dick, that is.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Valis - 10/0
Infinite. Irrational number. Jesus fuck.

Mantis... how could they not be intentional when he MENTIONS Cosmic Trigger?
fvkk
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Where should I start with Philip K Dick?
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

John Irving - The World According to Garp
7/10
I'd never read any of this mang so I went on a spree of reading his work, ending with the most famous. He writes wonderfully endearing characters into very carefully orchestrated plots, and there's enough literary gravity and substance to elevate it. But goddamn, he writes the same book over and fucking over again like no other novelist I've read. I can't decide if this or A Widow For One Year was my favorite; probably this one though.
james wrote:portable auschwitz
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

His Master's Voice - Stanisław Lem

On the surface its basically about a group of the top minds of earth deciphering a code received from an extraterrestrial intelligence (or is it?) In the end we only really figure out about 2% of the code (and 1/3rd of that is a few pieces we throw in ourselves just to get some sort of results - thus we end up getting something that could have dire consequences if used incorrectly - which humanity is predisposed to do just that.)
Probably one of the most difficult books I've ever read, not that the plot was disjointed, not in the least... that was very linear but it was very technical in both the science and the ideas presented. It read more like personal ruminations of the author (which is fine by me cause find Lem to be a fascinating individual with a ken mind.) So you get a lot of his personal cogitations on linguistics, culture, evolutionary biology, epistemology, physics (a lot of physics!), the corruption of politics in the fields of science, human limitations in both the mind and body...also some satirical and critical jabs at the science fiction genre. I'll have to read this again in the future because some of it didn't quite settle right and in the end I think I understood about only about 70% of it - I know my mental limitations and this one teetered on the edge of that.

you fags need to put down the PKD novels for a while and get into some Lem so I can talk over some of this shit with you all! :ax:
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

father of lies wrote:Valis - 10/0
Infinite. Irrational number. Jesus fuck.

Mantis... how could they not be intentional when he MENTIONS Cosmic Trigger?
I'm saying... which one mentioned the other first?
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

danox3 wrote:
father of lies wrote:
NANOplague wrote:
danox3 wrote:The Necronomicon - Donald Tyson -15/10

Must read. I'm basically re-reading it in his Novel "Alhazred", which is a novelization of the Necronomicon. And this isn't the stupid Sumerian paperback you can find in every teenage devil worshipers backpack. Tyson has adapted all of Lovecraft's creations into a sort of "Necromancer's guide to Ancient Middle East".
I must check this out.
I want to check this out, as well. Donald Tyson is the guy that made the Necronomicon tarot deck, which is pretty cool... I think he's the guy that wrote the article about HPL in the Disinfo Book of Lies, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, most of his books are "Practical Magic" crap, he even did a Necronomicon Grimoire, which is pretty silly in my eyes, but whatever.

The Tarot deck is cool as well, if you into that sort of stuff.
Erm... the "search inside" is revealing this book to be rather homosexual: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0738706 ... eader-link
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning