The New Unstoppable MMA Thread!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
cw
Aidbolards vs. Avian Rabies

Post by cw »

Burning_Anubis wrote:Image
JOFA wrote:I didn't know that this would happen, fucker. have some sensitivity.
its called "I have a social life". maybe you should get one too
AUTOPSY_666 wrote:let me be me.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Saku A#1 Megahero of Ever
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

Babalu should have just been forced to fight someone that he'd stand no chance against. Maybe Kron Gracie or something.
Xbox live: dashboardmelted or HAPF
Hostage Grenade
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Hostage Grenade »

Dana White, reportedly finalizing the deal to bring FEDOR to the UFC as we speak.

You knew it was going to happen. So awesome.
cw
Aidbolards vs. Avian Rabies

Post by cw »

It's comin'
JOFA wrote:I didn't know that this would happen, fucker. have some sensitivity.
its called "I have a social life". maybe you should get one too
AUTOPSY_666 wrote:let me be me.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Fedor will supposedly be at UFC75 this Saturday; he's signed a deal with Affliction shirts ! I hope it has some skeletal wings on it somewhere.

Apparently he still hasn't signed with the UFC though. :(

link
Carmack
Luck of the Corpse

Post by Carmack »

WEC 30 is on Versus tomorrow night at 9. Yayha/Beebe and Torres/Bedard should be great grappling wars.

Main Card Bouts:
-"Razor" Rob McCullough vs. Rich Crunkilton
-Chase Beebe vs. Rani Yahya
-John Alessio vs. Marcelo Brito
-Jeff Bedard vs. Miguel Torres
-Brian Stann vs. Jeremiah Billington

Preliminary Bouts:
-Ian McCall vs. Coty Wheeler
-Bryan Baker vs. Jesse Forbes
-Donald Cerrone vs. Sergio Gomez
-Marcus Hicks vs. Scott McAfee
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

riley-o wrote:I hope it has some skeletal wings on it somewhere.
If not those, I'm sure we'll at least get a tree with a skull hidden in the branches or the bark or something.

BTW we must activate spoiler defense mode NOW

Yes, I realize your defenses must be primarily against me, given precedent...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

suteli-bunn wrote:i thank you, even though the link is no longer working. i take back the shit i said earlier about you being a skinny girl.
It's cool, I kind of am a skinny girl.

link ?

Current rumour is that his signing will be announced Saturday.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I think it's prefferable to have a monopoly than having to chase down every splinter group to watch your favourite fighter dominate a shallow division. I get annoyed with a lot of what Dana White pulls but I love that I'm seeing a LOT of great fights.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

Dana has stated before that he hopes orgs like EliteXC and Bodog stick around. He didn't have such nice things to say about the IFL though. I don't think he's trying to monopolize anything, he just wants the best fighters, and you can't really blame him for that.

I agree that lately the UFC's marketing campaigns have sort of seemed WWE-ish, but I don't think the sport of MMA is going to end up like WWE. I think it's ridiculous when people say fights are fixed or staged or whatever. That's just pure horseshit.

I don't think Dana is such a great guy. He'd probably do well to not swear on TV anymore or say a lot of the negative things he says about some figthers. If he wants people to take MMA and the UFC seriously, he needs to start acting more professional, but I don't think he's as bad as a lot of people make him out to be.

After all, if it weren't for Dana White, I bet this thread wouldn't exist and even the general public's knowledge of the existence of MMA in the first place would be where it's at 5 years ago. You gotta give credit where credit is due.
Image You know the mind has a thousand eyes Image
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

And at this point, why WOULDN'T anyone want Fedor in the UFC? They've got all the best fighters in the world and Fedor is obviously #1. If he's not in the UFC, there's no way for him to prove that he's legitimately #1.

And Dana has also said that Fedor gets an immediate title shot when he comes to the UFC. That means we're gonna get Randy vs Fedor, potentially by year's end. The biggest fight in the history of MMA is upon us.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

suteli-bunn wrote:
riley-o wrote:I think it's prefferable to have a monopoly than having to chase down every splinter group to watch your favourite fighter dominate a shallow division. I get annoyed with a lot of what Dana White pulls but I love that I'm seeing a LOT of great fights.
it's only going to last as long as it takes for another japanese promoter to get another pride going. moving mma to america is like moving u.s. football exclusively to japan.
So you're saying that if U.S. football moved to Japan it'd turn into the fastest growing sport over there and dominate all PPV ratings? Cuz that's what MMA is doing here....
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

Huh? Can you explain that? Fedor's never even fought in the UFC and anyone who knows who he is should know about Pride. Maybe Fedor vs Couture isn't the biggest fight in MMA history, but that's subjective anyway.

In the scope of the popularity of the sport nowdays, it really doesn't get any bigger than the #1 fighter in the world fighting for the most prestigious championship in the sport. Love it or hate it, the UFC IS the biggest organization in the sport.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

suteli-bunn wrote:
Myiasis wrote:
suteli-bunn wrote:
riley-o wrote:I think it's prefferable to have a monopoly than having to chase down every splinter group to watch your favourite fighter dominate a shallow division. I get annoyed with a lot of what Dana White pulls but I love that I'm seeing a LOT of great fights.
it's only going to last as long as it takes for another japanese promoter to get another pride going. moving mma to america is like moving u.s. football exclusively to japan.
So you're saying that if U.S. football moved to Japan it'd turn into the fastest growing sport over there and dominate all PPV ratings? Cuz that's what MMA is doing here....
no. i'm saying mma is bigger in japan than it is in the u.s. and it's been that way for a long time. america just knows how to flash it up and sell it better to the masses. ufc has a long way to go before it hits the level of popularity pride/k1 has here.
ohh, ok. I definitely agree with that.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

Well as long as I get to see good fights, I could care less about orgs. And if Dana's loud mouth is out of the picture, even better.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I hope when Randy retires (BTT,TGIR) he anacondas dana and doesn't let go when he taps, and becomes the new UFC president. He's the only man for that job in the US. Fuck, or Dana could just go away totally. It serves NO purpose at all for him to be the Vince McMahon of the UFC, and frankly I think it does the credibility of the sport a lot of harm having a swearing, poorly spoken, badly dressed oaf slurring on teevee constantly.
Myiasis wrote:I agree that lately the UFC's marketing campaigns have sort of seemed WWE-ish, but I don't think the sport of MMA is going to end up like WWE. I think it's ridiculous when people say fights are fixed or staged or whatever. That's just pure horseshit.
there have been fixed fights in MMA, but more like boxing than pro wrestling.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

riley-o wrote:I hope when Randy retires (BTT,TGIR) he anacondas dana and doesn't let go when he taps, and becomes the new UFC president. He's the only man for that job in the US. Fuck, or Dana could just go away totally. It serves NO purpose at all for him to be the Vince McMahon of the UFC, and frankly I think it does the credibility of the sport a lot of harm having a swearing, poorly spoken, badly dressed oaf slurring on teevee constantly.
Myiasis wrote:I agree that lately the UFC's marketing campaigns have sort of seemed WWE-ish, but I don't think the sport of MMA is going to end up like WWE. I think it's ridiculous when people say fights are fixed or staged or whatever. That's just pure horseshit.
there have been fixed fights in MMA, but more like boxing than pro wrestling.
Haha the mental image of Couture with an anaconda on Dana brings big smiles!

And as I was typing that paragraph about fixed fights, I was cringing as I thought of that fight Mark Coleman threw in Pride and thought to myself.. "someone's gonna call me on this..." haha.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Myiasis wrote:And as I was typing that paragraph about fixed fights, I was cringing as I thought of that fight Mark Coleman threw in Pride and thought to myself.. "someone's gonna call me on this..." haha.
I loved Coleman holding his hand up and shaking it to the crowd like he was trying to fight through the pain of Takada's heel hook, hahaha. Also Quadros and Bas after the fight:

SQ: Coleman... loses ?
Bas: Yeah that was strange. That was... something was strange there.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

What is up with the belts for the Hendo/MPAG fight? They're talking about unifying the belts, but since Pride's going down the tubes does this even have meaning?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Teufel
Olde Timer

Post by Teufel »

Predictions:
-Quinton Jackson vs. Dan Henderson
-Mirko Cro Cop vs. Cheick Kongo
-Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill
-Houston Alexander vs. Alessio Sakara
-Paul Taylor vs. Marcus Davis
-Thiago Silva vs. Tomasz Drwal
-Naoyuki Kotani vs. Dennis Siver
-Anthony Torres vs. Jess Liaudin
-Gleison Tibau vs. Terry Etim

Jackson/Henderson will probably be similar to Jackson/Lindland

Cro Cop should come back strong after his loss, his only KO losses in MMA have come against strong grapplers whose striking he underestimated. I wouldn't be surprised if Kongo pulled out a KO though, he's that good standing up.

Bisping should beat Hamill with his jiu jitsu if not with his hands and feet.

I'm not convinced Alexander is "the real deal", Sakara is a pro boxer so this one will probably end via vicious KO.

Paul Taylor is a good fighter, but he's fought some relatively light competition compared to Davis. Marcus Davis is looking like a legit threat at 170lbs, should be a great fight.

Thiago Silva vs Tomasz Drwal may be the surprise of the night. Both guys have KO power and both have good records. I pick Silva only because he's with Chute Boxe and the UK is like a second home for the team considering most of their fighters have fought in Cage Rage.

I don't know much about the other fighters so I took random guesses. Torres should win his fight cos his opponent pretty much sucks.
Teufel's Tomb » Facebook » Last.FM
Junie Browning wrote:Do you know who I am? I will kill you and rape your family!
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

I agree with you mostly Teuful, except I think Hendo and Alexander will win. Bisping's gonna bring the pain to Matt Hammill. I'm hoping Cro Cop pulls off the win, but I'm really worried about that fight. Kongo is amazing on his feet, so it'll probably be a war. I almost don't wanna make a pick because it's just too tough to tell.

On a side note... I'm definitely NOT excited about this beeing on Spike TV. Sure it's free, but all the commercials really ruined it for me last time. I work at 11pm on Saturday nights and when the events are on PPV, they generally finish with just enough time for me to scoot out and make it on time. The last free Spike event took for EVER and I missed the Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight and the main event. I'll probably miss the last two or three fights on this one, too. I'd rather pay the $40 to see all the fights and not have to endure those massive amounts of horrid repeating commercials.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

I'll go with Teuf's picks apart from Kongo - I think he ends CroCop.

KHARITONOV returns to the ring on the 17th for a rematch with Overeem.

WAR SERGEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best MMA month ever. I miss Pride.
Myiasis
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Myiasis »

Mr. Budd wrote:Kongo - I think he ends CroCop.
I got my ass handed to me on the old forum's MMA thread for saying something very similar to this.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

It makes sense. You know the fight isn't going to the ground. Look at CroCop in K-1 - very beatable. He's still really dangerous and is capable of beating all but one person in this world but....Kongo has size, skill, desire and all the tools.

Every fight on this card is a pick'em apart from the Thiago Silva fight.

The Heroes card on 9-17 looks great too. Anyone plan on streaming that? I might need some help finding the stream etc if anyone is hooked up.