The New Unstoppable MMA Thread!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Re: The New Unstoppable MMA Thread!

Post by riley-o »

I'm a big fan of Ward but I thought Kovalev won as well. I'm always hesitant to call fights robberies because you're counting on people to judge something that's somewhat subjective the same way you do, and I know I'm always carrying biases around that affect my view and scoring, but yeah that felt pretty close to a robbery.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Joe Buck
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by Joe Buck »

Matt Hughes just lost to a train.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 pm I'm a big fan of Ward but I thought Kovalev won as well. I'm always hesitant to call fights robberies because you're counting on people to judge something that's somewhat subjective the same way you do, and I know I'm always carrying biases around that affect my view and scoring, but yeah that felt pretty close to a robbery.
I've rewatched it a dozen times - being as super objective as I could - it was 6 rounds a piece - but Kov scored a knock down so even a draw is unfair to Kov. Very interesting rematch, so poorly promoted considering the Toney Couture of boxing announcement made regular news this week.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
tipton
Soul of the Martyr

Post by tipton »

I have no idea how it is even possible to crash into a train unless you do it on purpose.

"that train came out of nowhere and blindsided my truck"
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

God damn, Ward with a great veteran performance, frustrating Kovalev with pot-shotting and clinching, and putting more sting on his punches when it counted. I tend to agree with RJJ that those were close but clean body shots.

That being said, I thought the ref should've given a standing 8 instead of ending it and think it should be a pretty major controversy that he didn't.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If Matt Hughes dies from drunkenly getting his truck stuck on the train tracks, I will laugh forever.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 pm God damn, Ward with a great veteran performance, frustrating Kovalev with pot-shotting and clinching, and putting more sting on his punches when it counted. I tend to agree with RJJ that those were close but clean body shots.

That being said, I thought the ref should've given a standing 8 instead of ending it and think it should be a pretty major controversy that he didn't.
They were fouls & that was a bad stoppage

https://twitter.com/streetfitebanch/sta ... 7655938049
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

heather hardy :brokenheart:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Her weigh-in bathing suit was sorta WTF
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

sorta badass you mean!
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Jon Anik‏Verified account @Jon_Anik

Johny Hendricks just weighed in at 188 lbs. Misses by two pounds for his 2nd middleweight fight. #UFCOKC
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The stool at Bellator / lol
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

doomeddisciple wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:37 am The stool at Bellator / lol
Chandler is a warrior. Broken foot and yelling at that guy to come and get it. That whole card was ridiculous, lol. The "greatest prospect ever" getting starched in one round, ouch. He's only 20 though.

Has anyone fallen off as hard as Johnny Hendricks? Misses weight again and looked like shit. He looked like he was in there to collect a paycheck and go home. They need to cut him.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Joe Buck
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by Joe Buck »

Donald Cerrone injured, bout with Robbie Lawler at UFC 213 in Las Vegas is off. :lol:
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Fucking staph infection... I was looking forward to seeing Robbie Lawlor fuck somebody up again so much... Man, imagine Lawlor fighting Nick Diaz again!

As for the rest, they added Woodley VS Maia to the UFC 214 card...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So, opinions on the McGregor/Mayweather Instagram videos? I don't really know shit about boxing, so....
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm So, opinions on the McGregor/Mayweather Instagram videos? I don't really know shit about boxing, so....
I saw that, and I'm no expert, but I'd say he's not showing off his real stuff there, and it's just shtick.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm So, opinions on the McGregor/Mayweather Instagram videos? I don't really know shit about boxing, so....
Not much to analyze than Conor's going to get smoked, might not even land a punch. :lol:

Doubt anyone's watching it but TUF has been okay. Cody is a mental midget, as if we didn't already know, and TAM sound like a bunch of babies. One of their coaches got up in Duane Ludwig's face and was bitching at him while Ludwig was just smiling and calm, lol. I'm sure it's edited to hell and they're acting up for the show but TJ really comes off as a likable dude and him rolling with the snake nickname has been pretty funny. Weird matchups going into the semi-finals. Toothless Tom :brokenheart:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

McGregor is learning to box.

He posts photos of angles he's getting on novice sparring partners like it's going to be the same for Floyd, the best defensive fighter since Pernell Whitaker.

I'm not holding a lot of hope, if he can land a clean shot on Floyd I'll be happy for him.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

This is what I said on FB about it recently: I'll preface this by saying I'm NOT defending McGregor and in a logical universe he gets shut out for the first few rounds before Floyd catches him slipping some time before the 6th (generously, more likely the 3rd or 4th) and stops him in a series of punches similar to the Gatti stoppage, but even more decisive.

That out of the way, the fucking talking heads bloviating about how this is a mismatch and Floyd will crush him are so fucking stupid they don't even realize they're part of the hype machine for it all. Of COURSE Floyd wins handily. I've seen so many people breaking this fight down technically like "hey here's why this MMA fighter with pretty good boxing's sloppy right hand will be a liability against THE GREATEST BOXER OF THIS GENERATION AND IN THE ARGUMENT FOR BEST EVER. Well, gee thanks, but no fucking shit he'll have some problems in the match ?

It's ONLY about money, the chance for each guy to verbally glorify himself leading up to the fight, and then for the boxing world to use this as a silly totem for why boxing is better than MMA. Those are really the sole factors in this whole circus and the only things anyone should be talking about. When people start criticizing Conor's technique or comparing them on a technical basis I'm just like "BRUH could you miss the point any harder."
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 amthe only things anyone should be talking about.
As I've recently discovered, possibly a thing worth talking about is whether Conor will ever return to MMA after this. Apparently he's flapping his gums about fighting Nurmagomedov in Russia next, so who knows, but I just don't see that happening - he's cashing out after this. Which is why it's getting a bit irritating that there isn't a proper LW champion. But then again, what do UFC titles even mean anymore.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 am This is what I said on FB about it recently: I'll preface this by saying I'm NOT defending McGregor and in a logical universe he gets shut out for the first few rounds before Floyd catches him slipping some time before the 6th (generously, more likely the 3rd or 4th) and stops him in a series of punches similar to the Gatti stoppage, but even more decisive.
."
Yep, the only thing that is of note in this fight was announced yesterday - that was the purse split.

Floyd 400 million, Connor 127 million.

The highest purse for a pro boxing debut that has or will ever be.

Shut the book.

Connor could cop on on the temple in the first round with his chin up in the air trying his dance steps out, or like Rileys prediction above.

But 127 million not to give a fucks make Connor a winner by a country mile.

My issue with the fight is as a lover of the sport - I HATE Floyd is going to break Marciano's 49-0 record against a guy in his first pro fight. It irks me.

But the money is the money.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

What do you think the Conor/UFC split is ? 50/50 ?

I'm surprised Floyd's payout is known; I figured it would just be EVERYTHING minus Conor/Dana's $125 million.

Conor will probably make a bare minimum 50 million in endorsements for the fight too, since he's not tied exclusively to Reebok, which really further exposes just how absurd that deal is. That amount will probably be exclusively his and not part WME's (although his manager and team will get absurd paycheques out of that).

Marciano's record is padded with more cupcakes than a bakery, and fuckin Chavez went 87-0 before he even had a draw, so that record was always pretty "yeah, but.." to me. I don't like Floyd, but I don't care if he "breaks" that one.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Thats the guaranteed purse.

The big extra $$ is the PPV points. I notice 'McGregor Promotions' or something like it on the poster as well, which to me is how he gets some PPV points without UFC - 50/50...hmmm it'd be huge but probably more 55/45 or something.

Floyd's PPV points would be cray.

I concede Marcianos record isn't a murderers row, but he fought who was available to him and Charles, Moore, Walcott were the best there was at the time.

Chavez certainly had a lot of Tijuana cab drivers in the 87 too - but the issue with this is Chavez has a bunch of Ls on that record and it's the way Floyd fans drag 50-0 around and will bandy it about is the irksome bit.

Yes, Clazaghe retired 49-0, Finito Lopez is 51-0-1 with I think a KO but at least a victory over the guy he drew with - but it's a false history & it irks, irks I say!!!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

hahaha McGregor's killing it in the press conferences:
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!