rate the last beer(s) you had 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Re: rate the last beer(s) you had 1-10

Post by Toxicarius »

Thanksgiving beer adventures ahead:

Tried all four varieties in the Stone Brewing Cabin Fever pack... an IPA, a Double IPA, a stout and a porter. All of them rate a 7 or so... nothing mind-blowing amazing, but four very solid beers nonetheless. If you're looking for a little variety in your life, you could do worse...

Southern Tier . 2X Stout - 8/10

Good stout. Good buy.

Dogfish Head . Oak Aged Noble Rot - 8.8/10

This is a weird beer/wine hybrid, but pretty damn good. Admittedly I was already half in the bag when I had this, and by the time I finished the bag was pretty much full. It's very fizzy and somewhat fruity/sweet... if I didn't see it being poured I would swear it was champagne. Maybe. I'd have to try it sober to be sure.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

10/10 holy shit so good
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

Nice Erik. I like that better than Heady Topper.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Jesus Christ Erik, I'm proud of you.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

I had some good ones in VT...Lawson's Sunshine, Hill Farmstead Edward, and Idletyme Zog.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Zywiec 1881 Porter - 9/10

$1.99 for a shade over a pint bottle is a bargain for this tasty porter. One word of warning, however: Either the listed 9.5 ABV is lowballed, or there's something else going with this brew, because one bottle wrecked me. Two thirds of the way through I realized I was getting quite wiggly, but since I didn't want to waste the rest, down it went. And then it was pinball walls time. :cheers:
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

The joys of living in a Polish neighborhood :tup:
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Victory . Golden Monkey . Belgian style tripel - 8/10

...With added spice, whatever that means. The taste is kinda funky, almost like a seriously overripe banana. At first I wasn't sure, but it's a grower... as long as it's kept cold. The last couple of enwarmening swigs from the bottle were not all that good. Keep that shit on ice.
Hostage Grenade II
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by Hostage Grenade II »

Toxicarius wrote:Image

Founder's . Breakfast Stout - 12/10

Posted about this last year, but am now revising. This is it... the pinnacle... the perfect beer. Coffee dominates, but there's so much more... So damn good. I just wish it was as cheap as piss beer so I can drink it every day of the year. For now it will have to be a seasonal treat...

Try to get the KENTUCKY breakfast stout from them. Its the same beer, but aged in bourbon barrels. It pretty much takes that delicious beer and makes it about 400 times better. I'm not exaggerating about the 400 times better. I finally got my hands on a bottle this past summer....and I will put it in the top 3 beers Ive ever had.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

I just picked up a 750 ml bottle of Founder's Lizard of Koz, a stout made with blueberries, chocolate & vanilla, which I will be enjoying on xmas day. Impressions to follow...
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Modus Operandi Sonic Prayer IPA
6% fruity, but still quite bitter, actually this was perfectly balanced and moorish

Modus Operandi Former Tenant Red IPA

7.8% rich bold and a bit not suited to the hot night that I drank it on, but I could imagine 3 cans of this over dinner and then drooling onto my shirt in the deep food coma this is likely to induce in the 40 year old plus club - Very tasty.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

Treehouse Julius - 9/10
I feel like Erik would dig this.
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

Treehouse Bright w/Nelson - 8/10
This is probably the worst of what I have had from this brewery. Its very well made, but a little sweeter than others I have tried.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

where did you get Treehouse????
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

Have someone that I trade with from time to time that lives in central CT and sends me stuff. I understand the lines are ridiculous for it at some releases.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

cibola wrote:Have someone that I trade with from time to time that lives in central CT and sends me stuff. I understand the lines are ridiculous for it at some releases.
Not sure if it's available in your parts but if you haven't tried Two Roads yet you should have your bud send you some.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

hipster holocaust wrote:
cibola wrote:Have someone that I trade with from time to time that lives in central CT and sends me stuff. I understand the lines are ridiculous for it at some releases.
Not sure if it's available in your parts but if you haven't tried Two Roads yet you should have your bud send you some.
The Lil Heaven is a damn fine session IPA
cibola
git help.

Post by cibola »

Erik13 wrote:
hipster holocaust wrote:
The Lil Heaven is a damn fine session IPA
I'll have to ask him about that. Two Roads isn't around the PNW that I am aware of.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

All of their shit is A+ however this may be my fave

Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - 8/10

This one was surprising and probably won't work for everybody. Imagine pouring a stout into a glass of chocolate milk and this is the result... Very rich, creamy and chocolatey sweet.

Founder's Lizard of Koz - disappoint/10

Imperial stout brewed with blueberries, chocolate & vanilla, aged in bourbon barrels. I was really looking forward to this, but it just didn't live up to the imagined promise. There was none of the usual roasty stout bite, and the blueberry flavor dominated, backed by bourbon-ey booziness. That was the first taste, and if that was it, I'd be happy. Unfortunately there was a sour undertone that grew stronger and more unpleasant with each sip, until I chugged the rest just to be done with it. Definitely not worth the ~$18 price tag for a 750 ml bottle.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

9/10 I don't know shit about beer but I liked this
Wank night's cancelled
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Narwhal Imperial Stout - 9/10

Really thick and rich... I was told it was like drinking bread, whatever that means. Maybe like a beer shake? Seriously, you almost have to chew this to get it down.

Weyerbacher Quad : Belgian style quadrupel ale - 9/10

Fruity and boozy, this would make a great dessert beer, or one to enjoy around the campfire with your buds. Just be wary of the 11.8 ABV or you might stumble into the fire...
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36757/124710/

First beer in two years. Was okay. Not as good as Rodenbach and more expensive, but neat to have out of a can I guess? Probably won't try again. I plan on opening some stuff I have been aging for the last 2-6 years soon.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Sooo, nobody drinks beer anymore?
Hostage Grenade II wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:58 am
Try to get the KENTUCKY breakfast stout from them. Its the same beer, but aged in bourbon barrels. It pretty much takes that delicious beer and makes it about 400 times better. I'm not exaggerating about the 400 times better. I finally got my hands on a bottle this past summer....and I will put it in the top 3 beers Ive ever had.
Finally had a chance to sample the KBS over the holidays, and the verdict is disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine stout, just not one worthy of the hype... or pricetag. And the regular old Breakfast Stout has it beat, I'm afraid. 9/10

Another holiday sampling had me floored, however. Founder's Backwoods Bastard is a barrel-aged Scotch ale, and it's hands down the best beer I ever tasted. The bourbon flavor from the barrels is really prominent, complimenting an overall sweetness backed by a spicy tang. This is not something to guzzle, but to savor slowly. And the good news is that Founder's recently announced it will be available year-round starting later this spring. 15/10

Another recent discovery of note is Neshaminy Creek's The Shape of Hops to Come, an Imperial IPA made with 5 different hops. The smell of this beer is out of this world... pineapple/citrus/pine/floral and such. The taste is not an exact mirror, but the citrus/pine/dank really shines, and while hoppy as hell, it's not as harsh as other beers of this style tend to be. Very drinkable, very nice... 10/10
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Toxicarius wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 pm Sooo, nobody drinks beer anymore?
Apparently so... how odd. :?

Anywho, a couple of years ago the local Jersey brewery Flying Fish released a super limited run of Pork Roll Porter, made with that most ubiquitous of regional meat by-products mentioned in the name. Sadly, I missed out on that opportunity to sample that, shall we say, inspired concoction. Flash forward to the other day, at a local spirits retailer, where I found that a recently released Flying Fish variety pack contains the above porter as an exclusive. Needless to say I didn't even hesitate to grab a box. So how is it?

The aroma is pure pork roll, evoking memories of a frying pan layered with crackling slices of tangy smoked pork roll, each destined for a delicious Jersey breakfast sammich. The taste, however, is more mysterious. Besides the porter (which resides more towards the stout end of that spectrum, and is quite good in itself), the pork roll is fairly elusive. The smokiness is well represented, and the spice lurks around the edges, but the pork? I think it's there, maybe... in the briefest if flashes during the initial sip, or perhaps in the most subtle of hints in the lingering aftertaste. My nose tells me it's there without doubt, but that li'l piggy plays hide and seek with the tongue. 8/10

Another "exclusive" from that Flying Fish pack is something called Trail Mix Ale, brewed with raisins, chocolate and honey. Sounds intriguing, though it's more of a muddled mess. There's a touch of chocolate in the aroma, along with what I'm guessing are the raisins, though that bit is uncertain. Taste-wise, the first sip contained a hint of honey, which disappeared for the rest of the beer. The chocolate and raisins? I guess they're in there somewhere, but the beer is far more bitter than I was expecting, which effectively masks anything else trying to push through. Consider it a bitter brown ale and be done with it. 5/10