Olde Timer

Re: rate the last beer you had 1-10

Post by GoreyGibbler »

Rogue's Chocolate Stout is fucking wack though. :false:
bloodybloodlicker
DO NOT WANT.

Post by bloodybloodlicker »

Mallarded Ur Face wrote: they can be really good...

Too many micro-brews fall into the trap of either over-hopping them, or falling into the totally bland category.
These are the two I thought of immediately as 'the good 'Merican brown ales'
*burp*
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

4-day old keg bud - 1/10

Hey... it got me drunk.
Mallarded Ur Face
SATAN!!!
SATAN!!!

Post by Mallarded Ur Face »

bloodybloodlicker wrote:
Mallarded Ur Face wrote: they can be really good...

Too many micro-brews fall into the trap of either over-hopping them, or falling into the totally bland category.
so you got some Pandan? I love that stuff; have you tried their others? the ginger is really interesting, but not a good session beer; awesome with some sushi though. They tried to make it w/out any hops at all, but couldn't get a patent on a beer recipe w/out hops.

LBB and Baron are located in the same complex in georgetown; have you been there? or did you get the stuff from a store?

I'm keeping a bottle of the 13% baron eisbock at home...they bottled the first and only batch in ~june of this year, and said it fermented for 24 months! And it's really smooth for a beer that strong.
(Magazine? What happens?)
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

any of you scumsuckers tried one of these lately?

Holy fuck.
Mallarded Ur Face
SATAN!!!
SATAN!!!

MANTIS wrote:any of you scumsuckers tried one of these lately?

Holy fuck.
i tend to avoid anything IPA, though my buddy says the 90 and 120 minute are not as bitter as the 60 minute....kind of like the double bastard is not as bitter as arrogant bastard, I guess.

high IBUs is analogous to high scovilles; people only consume it because they think it makes them TUFF GAIS.
bloodybloodlicker
DO NOT WANT.

Post by bloodybloodlicker »

Mallarded Ur Face wrote:
bloodybloodlicker wrote:
Mallarded Ur Face wrote: they can be really good..
so you got some Pandan? I love that stuff; have you tried their others? the ginger is really interesting, but not a good session beer; awesome with some sushi though. They tried to make it w/out any hops at all, but couldn't get a patent on a beer recipe w/out hops.

LBB and Baron are located in the same complex in georgetown; have you been there? or did you get the stuff from a store?

I'm keeping a bottle of the 13% baron eisbock at home...they bottled the first and only batch in ~june of this year, and said it fermented for 24 months! And it's really smooth for a beer that strong.

Whoa whoa-- Baron Eisbock? We haven't seen that. Fuck. That is our favorite style of german beer!!! And yeah, our QFC (N end of Broadway) carries the three LB beers all the time... not that new one you mentioned a few weeks ago though... I think it was you... premiering at Oktoberfest. I still haven't seen that. I think LB is awesome. We really want to go tour the Baron Brewery-- haven't had a chance to yet. We usually pick up Baron stuff from Bottleworks or co-ops. I got the Weissbock at the Ballard Market. Their pilsner is something we get on tap across the street and I think it's fairly readily available at QFC.
*burp*
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Mallarded Ur Face wrote:

Holy fuck.
i tend to avoid anything IPA, though my buddy says the 90 and 120 minute are not as bitter as the 60 minute....kind of like the double bastard is not as bitter as arrogant bastard, I guess.

high IBUs is analogous to high scovilles; people only consume it because they think it makes them TUFF GAIS.
Yeah, it's weird. The 120 minute IPA is so bitter that it comes back around to being sweet. Almost floral. Plus, it's 20% alcohol :shock:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Mallarded Ur Face
SATAN!!!
SATAN!!!

bloodybloodlicker wrote: Whoa whoa-- Baron Eisbock? We haven't seen that. Fuck. That is our favorite style of german beer!!! And yeah, our QFC (N end of Broadway) carries the three LB beers all the time... not that new one you mentioned a few weeks ago though... I think it was you... premiering at Oktoberfest. I still haven't seen that. I think LB is awesome. We really want to go tour the Baron Brewery-- haven't had a chance to yet. We usually pick up Baron stuff from Bottleworks or co-ops. I got the Weissbock at the Ballard Market. Their pilsner is something we get on tap across the street and I think it's fairly readily available at QFC.
yeah, we just happened to go to the brewery shortly after they bottled it; it showed up in a few stores, but it was a a one time thing, and didn't last very long...which is why I'm keeping that bottle for a while.

neither of their breweries are very impressive; they're basically big storage sheds, heh, and apparently the landlord started cracking the whip and not letting them serve during the week, so you can only get tastes on saturday now; pretty weak, especially since baron has been at the same location for quite a few years.

which 3 does the QFC have? the ginger seems to be the hardest one to come by, but like I said, it's only good for a few sips between sushi.

I don't think LBB is bottling their purple yam porter...yet; I did have it at the oktoberfest, but only remember that it was more like a brown than a porter.
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

You can't fuck with the 120 minute IPA. Everyone should at least try it once.
The last beer I had was an Avery "Fourteen". A really dark dry-hopped ale. Pretty unique IMO. 8/10.
everyone is miserable, xasthur fans are bigger liars
-smoeone
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick

Post by CHUFFED beyond necropsy »

New Belgium Mothership Wit - 7/10

For an American attempt at a wit, it's pretty good. i always drink it at one of the bars near my house. Got 5/6 of a sixer waiting for me at home.....
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
Bodiesablaze
Inhale/Exhale

Post by Bodiesablaze »

Pabst Blue Ribbon: 2/10

...After about 7 or 8 of them: 3/10
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

Bodiesablaze wrote:Pabst Blue Ribbon: 2/10

...After about 7 or 8 of them: 3/10
Hahahaha, I would have to be about 15 deep before Pabst could make such a bold jump from 2 to 3. Come to think of it, I would probably stop after about 1.
:?
everyone is miserable, xasthur fans are bigger liars
-smoeone
Pyrite Medal of Ignorance

Post by Pyrite Medal of Ignorance »

MANTIS wrote:
Mallarded Ur Face wrote:

Holy fuck.

Yeah, it's weird. The 120 minute IPA is so bitter that it comes back around to being sweet. Almost floral. Plus, it's 20% alcohol :shock:
Shit is definitely rippin' brutal, had a couple over the last few weeks. The first time I tried it, I was confused as to how I copped a buzz off a single beer...then I looked that shit up online...it's actually 21%, no? In any case -- :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
neurotica
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by neurotica »

9/10
Not as heavy as a lot of Imperial stouts I've had, but definitely delivers the punch. Slightly bitter at the start with a clove/smoky kind of flavor, then finishes sweet, with hints of coffee, chocolate, and caramel.

Thirsty Dog is a local Maryland brewery that always has incredible beer. Their restaurant in Baltimore used to allow dogs in the bar, but I think they still have 2 for $3 specials every day. :tup:
.........stuff
Ipswich
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Ipswich »

Mallarded Ur Face wrote: high IBUs is analogous to high scovilles; people only consume it because they think it makes them TUFF GAIS.

This is really stupid and you should stop saying it.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Ipswich wrote:
Mallarded Ur Face wrote: high IBUs is analogous to high scovilles; people only consume it because they think it makes them TUFF GAIS.

This is really stupid and you should stop saying it.
just because you don't like hearing, doesn't make it true. so what's you got besides 'that's stupid' to counter?
....just sayins all; i don't wanna gay up the rate the beer thread.

oh and currently...
Aventinus - 9/10
Germany's take on a belgian style abbey, WOO
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Ipswich
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Ipswich »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote:

just because you don't like hearing, doesn't make it true. so what's you got besides 'that's stupid' to counter?

You don't like something, so it is impossible for your brain to comprehend that other people do. They must be LYING to look TUFF. That's great that you hate IPA's, nobody gives a shit. I'm not a huge fan either. I like more balanced beer for the most part. But if you actually think millions of people are pretending to like hoppy beer you're a mongoloid. I have an IPA in my fridge right now. No one will be present when I consume it later. Who am I trying to impress, my cat?
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

I wish I actually liked beer because some of these have cool names.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Ipswich wrote:
Necrophilic Mallard wrote:

You don't like something, so it is impossible for your brain to comprehend that other people do. They must be LYING to look TUFF. That's great that you hate IPA's, nobody gives a shit. I'm not a huge fan either. I like more balanced beer for the most part. But if you actually think millions of people are pretending to like hoppy beer you're a mongoloid. I have an IPA in my fridge right now. No one will be present when I consume it later. Who am I trying to impress, my cat?
nah I get that people dig it; I'm just talking about the root causes for their desires for it...they're not pretending to like it, at least, not consciously; it scratches some itch in their brain for their need to be tuff gais.
and the comparison of stupidly hoppy beers to stupidly hot hot sauces is spot on.
I dig some hot sauce sometimes for flavor...just like hops are good for some flavor....but at a point, it just becomes about beeing TUFF>
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
hephaestus
Morbid Florist

Post by hephaestus »

Mallarded Ur Face wrote:I'm keeping a bottle of the 13% baron eisbock at home...they bottled the first and only batch in ~june of this year, and said it fermented for 24 months! And it's really smooth for a beer that strong.
They must have aged it 2 years, fermentation is usually done within 7-14 days of pitching the yeast.
Pooeyegg
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Pooeyegg »

8/10

Delicious, and I passed out for 20 hours after drinking them.
Zxcccccccccccc
I hate my life.

Post by Zxcccccccccccc »

nothing fancy, few pints of guinness at the pub with dinner

7/10
The Dead Shall Dead Remain :lol:
milkmandan wrote:
noah thirteen wrote:PBR..... that's shit beer
why don't you grow a beard about it
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

hephaestus wrote:
Mallarded Ur Face wrote:I'm keeping a bottle of the 13% baron eisbock at home...they bottled the first and only batch in ~june of this year, and said it fermented for 24 months! And it's really smooth for a beer that strong.
They must have aged it 2 years, fermentation is usually done within 7-14 days of pitching the yeast.
Yeah, if you make beer, you know that 2 years fermentation is pretty absurd!
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Ipswich
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Ipswich »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote: I dig some hot sauce sometimes for flavor...just like hops are good for some flavor....but at a point, it just becomes about beeing TUFF

Well, no. and you have nothing to base this on other than that you don't like these beers. You might as well make the same argument about high abv shit. "I only like beer with less than 7% alcohol, everybody drinking stronger beer than that is jus flexing their mussells" :drool:

It's an acquired taste for some I guess. Most people I know who aren't beer drinkers detest hoppy beer, especially girls. When I first started drinking micros I didn't care for IPAs. I had one of those "beer of the month" thingies and they would ship IPAs all the time since it was american beer only. All I tasted was bitterness. It was probably 2-3 years later that I tried another and liked it. Tuppers' Hop Pocket Ale I'm pretty sure it was.

I think the super high IBU shit started because brewers were tired of the 900 billion boring flat american pale ales flooding the market. It is also typically American (insert crying eagle pic) to take something and make it bigger, stronger and over the top retarded. But like it or not, there is a demand for them because people like the taste. A good IPA has a complex flavor that is more satisfying to me than about every generic brown or red ale I've ever tasted. It's too bad you can't understand that.