Re: James Cameron's AVATAR: 240 g clear/silver swirl run of 13

Post by Necrometer »

blisgnorance
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

all this 3D talk and not a single mention of tentacle rape?

... disappointing.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
Gauntlets of Blood
Defiance of the Ugly by the Merely Repul

Post by Gauntlets of Blood »

Is this the same thing as the 'Avatar: The Last Air Bender' film adaptation? Because I thought M Night Shamalan was making that one
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

It's the exact same, get your facts straight
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Gauntlets of Blood wrote:Image

Is this the same thing as the 'Avatar: The Last Air Bender' film adaptation? Because I thought M Night Shamalan was making that one
No. James Cameron just got to use the Avatar name because he is a faggot.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I'd have sympathy for your cause if anyone but fucknight was directing that turd-to-be...
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

at least it will be pretty, which is all i can expect from a kung fu flick anymore in the era of wireteams and CGI
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
hard paranormal dong
RIP_GHOST BONER_RIP

Post by hard paranormal dong »

this movie sounds cool and all but after reading this whole thread i dont give a shit to talk about it, what i do want to talk about is the abyss...

so, which one is good? the one i saw started out fucking awesome then got gayer than all hell.

i saw an ending where
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
a bunch of gay fucking aliens tried to warn us of our own culture
and that shit was gay as fuck. i dug the first part quite a bit though. so is there another version i need to see or do you xasthur fans think what i saw was "the good one"
BUNGVOX wrote:anyone who can throw that many maiden titles into a short statement is entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

This faggot thinks you saw the "good" ending, just because it makes more sense. But yeah if you want to focus on your balls and their needs, forget that director's cut and go ahead and re-watch the theatrical cut.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

ohgodohgodicantwaitforsuper3dbighonkinjigglyboobsomgomg
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

Necrometer wrote:This faggot thinks you saw the "good" ending, just because it makes more sense. But yeah if you want to focus on your balls and their needs, forget that director's cut and go ahead and re-watch the theatrical cut.
Yeah, it was preachy and contrived, but I prefer it to the "got sum nu frens bbl" theatrical cut.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I like the long cut too, but no way are Vernon's balls going to hear that. Soundproof scrotum.
hard paranormal dong
RIP_GHOST BONER_RIP

Post by hard paranormal dong »

ill have to check that shits out. and yes, a severe case of "iron sack" is what i suffer from.
BUNGVOX wrote:anyone who can throw that many maiden titles into a short statement is entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Tomorrow, shit goes public.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

OK, powersuit on display:

what does that cockpit label say :x
edit: oh, it says "Beyond Glory"

fucking twitter:
b020: who is going for Avatar @ comic con? how come its so whitewashed? Do people know its Japanese at all?
29 minutes ago from web
Last edited by Necrometer on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

press conference ... er... PANEL at comic-con liveblog starting now: http://g4tv.com/comiccon2009/pressconfe ... avatar/29/

Ah fuck! No blogging while they show the 25 min of footage. Fuck! Check back at 7 EST, I guess...
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

OK panel is done, here's some liveblogs:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
3:54 Stephen Johnson: Back... Wow.
3:55 Stephen Johnson: Okay. I just became one of the first 6000 or so people on earth to have seen part of Avatar. I'm still sort of soaking it in, but I'll give you my fresh-off-the-dome impressions:
3:56 Stephen Johnson: First off: This is like no other movie you have ever seen. It's ambitious, and entirely original, full of digital effects, flawless executed, in an entirely imaginative world.
3:57 Stephen Johnson: The plot (and here are the spoilers) Humans come to the distant planet of Pandora, a jungle planet filled with both beauty and death. the other humanoids on the planet are indigenous people, savages, honestly, but they're 10 feet tall, and blue.
3:58 Stephen Johnson: The humans, to fight the Navi, create a way of "becoming" one, inhabitng the body of a blue, tall guy.
3:59 Stephen Johnson: The movie seems to surround a soldier transforming into a Navi, first in the physical world, by inhabitng a body, and later, emotionally/spiritually transforming through his relationship with one of the natives.
4:00 Stephen Johnson: It's, as you can tell, an ambitious story. The clips I saw were are follows:
4:00 Stephen Johnson: 1) Jake, the human, having his mind put into the tall, Navi body.
4:01 Stephen Johnson: 2) Jake "trying out" his new, super-powers in the lab.
4:03 Stephen Johnson: 3) Jake enters the deadly jungle, and notices a lot of the beauty there. Jake meets Neytiri, a beautiful native. Neytiri tells Jake he is "like a baby" after she saves him from marauding creatures in the jungle.
4:04 Stephen Johnson: 4) The final scene we see was the most interesting. Jake has seemingly been taken into the Navi tribe and ha been tasked with taming a flying, dragon-like creature. They battle, but eventually, Jake tames his pet, then leaps off a cliff and flies.
4:06 Stephen Johnson: As for how it is, honestly, it's hard to say... but it is like everythin Cameron has ever done: Fully and totally committed. it's obvious Cameron has not compromised anything here. This is so utterly and completely his vision. And that kind of committment is the source of all great art.
4:07 Stephen Johnson: This movie touches on big themes: War. Nature. Righteousness. Justice. It's a big, big movie in all ways, but, again like all Cameron movies, the small moments are there, the details are in place.
4:08 Stephen Johnson: Overall, I'm enthralled here. A fan just thanked James Cameron for making a movie that is entirely original, not based on anything and not a remake. I heartily concur. Big ups for the effort, Cameron.
4:10 Stephen Johnson: A fan asked: where did you get the idea for this flick? Cameron says he came up with it years before, when he was the CEO of Digital Domain (a special effects company). Obviously, back then, it couldn't be done. But the technology has come far enough that Cameron was able to do it.
4:11 Stephen Johnson: Oh, forgot to tell you: Sigorney Weaver is here with other members of the Avatar cast.
4:11 Stephen Johnson: Weaver confirms that everything in the movie has come out of James Cameron's head.
4:16 Stephen Johnson: James Cameron says Avatar is meant to make you think while you're enjoying it... That always makes me a little nervous... Early prediction: the thing that could sink this flick would be a pretentious, too-serious tone. It's impossible to tell whether that's the case from the clips, of course. We'll have to wait for it to come out!
4:17 Stephen Johnson: Cameron says he's going to "take over as many iMax theaters" on August 21st to "let a global audience see 15 minutes of Avatar free!"
4:18 Stephen Johnson: There you have it: on August 21st, you'll have your own look at Avatar!
4:18 Stephen Johnson: And on that note, the panel ends... Avatar is going to be HUGE. I'm not sure a huge what, of course... but it will be HUGE.
6:54 We're back!
6:54 Standing ovation from Hall H!
6:54 Sigourney Weaver joins Cameron on stage
6:54 Footage was pretty damn impressive
6:55 It's hard to even describe
6:55 Sigourney: "This is the movie you've been waiting for!"
6:55 We saw one live-action scenes and five others on the world of Pandora
6:56 The 3D is pretty natural, nothing forced about it
6:56 The Na'vi are so impressively rendered and the backgrounds are so beautiful
6:57 The guy who plays the Army General comes out and he's going in character
6:57 Stephen Lang was his name
6:58 Zoe Saldana comes out on stage
6:58 Her Na'vi looks so much like her, it's bizarre
6:58 And I think I saw a little Zoe/Na'vi boobage in the clip
6:59 Her character hates the humans for what they're doing to her world but she's drawn to Jake (Sam Worthington).
6:59 Speaking of, Sam recorded a message cause he's off filming CLASH OF THE TITANS
7:00 Would you see AVATAR in 2D?
Yes
( 45% )
No
( 29% )
Maybe
( 26% )

7:01 Sigourney says working with Jim is always unlike anything else she's ever done
7:01 She still looks good all these years later
7:02 Cameron asked Zoe what her level of tolerance was before her training began.
7:02 7 days a week on horseback, weight-lifting, dialect study and kept that up all through shooting
7:05 Lang says his character is the villain of the piece. Hmmm...
7:07 First question from the audience is already about TRUE LIES 2
7:08 A Michael Biehn cameo? No, Michael would've been perfect for one character but Lang played that character
7:08 Lang was actually originally supposed to play the Biehn character in ALIENS
7:11 The technology needed to live up to what the cast could do.
7:12 [Comment From JoBlo]
Has he mentioned when to expect the first trailer?
7:12 Unfortunately they haven't opened it up much to the audience
7:12 And they're still talking a lot about the technology
7:13 Some guy got up and asked if Cameron likes pastrami on rye sandwiches
7:14 Thanks for wasting our time buddy
7:15 Cameron decided to make it now because it has a conscience and while you're enjoying it, you think about how you react with nature
7:15 Cameron = treehugger?
7:16 BTW, the JoBlo commenters are asking questions 100x better than the Hall H people. I just wish I had the answers to give you guys.
7:16 "That's about all the questions we have time for..."
7:16 Cameron says we've been giving him flack in the blogosphere for holding back on the trailer
7:16 I smell an announcement...
7:16 Doing some really unprecedented
7:17 They're taking over as many IMAX 3D theaters plus selected 3D theaters on August 21 and let a global audience come to see 15 minutes of AVATAR for free!
7:17 AVATAR Day they're calling it. They'll also release the video game trailer and the toys.
7:17 Wow, what a great move.
7:18 Alright folks that's it for AVATAR. See you in an Imax theater on August 21! Mark your calendars!
Long story short, they're showing 15 min of AVATAR for free in a bunch of IMAX theaters on Aug 21 - I guess I will go!
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

from Chud:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This is a quick reaction piece due to the fact that I have got a zillion things to do right now, but I saw 24 minutes of Avatar today (in 3D) and I have to talk about it.

It's damn good looking. Design-wise the world of Pandora is excellent, rich, complex and detailed. It's a vividly imagined place; one that's not as alien as advertised (it will look familiar to scifi readers with a good collection of old pulp magazines, for one) but impressive nonetheless. And I think that goes for everything I saw of Avatar: not quite as advertised, but impressive.

Some bullet point thoughts:

- This is an evolutionary jump, not a revolutionary leap. Avatar left my eyes unfucked. I didn't experience movies in a whole new way, and nothing I saw on screen left me feeling more than impressed. What the movie represents is someone putting real money into the current CGI and mocap tech and shoving it an extra step forward.

- The facial work is excellent. It makes Dr. Manhattan look dated; while I thought Billy Crudup's face came through well in Watchmen the faces of the Navi really contain the actors, and the range of expression is impressive. Whether this is algorithyms or animators I don't know.

- The Navi are designed in a way that I think minimizes the uncanny valley aspect - their eyes are big and wide apart, for one - but their design is also very cartoony. It distanced me. Which leads me to this:

- Avatar looks like a very advanced CGI toon. When CGI Navi are interacting with CGI monsters in CGI landscapes, it all looks very CGI. This is, frankly, not photoreal.

- Pandora at night looks sort of like a black light poster. Even the Navi have black light freckles! Which isn't to minimize how great it looks, but it's not the mind-blowing thing we were told to expect.

- The story that I could gather looked very bleh. Sam Worthington is a crippled space marine who gets a Navi avatar body so he can run around the planet Pandora with the military. He's psyched to be whole again, and then when he's out in the wild he gets separated from his unit by a monster attack. A Navi warrior (girl) is about to kill him when she gets a mystical sign to leave him be. He is surrounded by monsters and about to get killed when she rescues him and gets another mystical sign that he's special. They obviously fall in love. He joins the tribe of Navi and tames some kind of dragon to be his steed. It's Dances With Wolves In Space.

In the end I think this would have been better without all of the 'THIS WILL CHANGE THE WORLD OF CINEMA' stuff that comes right from Cameron's mouth (I heard him say essentially that at the IMAX presentation yesterday). This is an impressive step forward, but I don't think it's Jurassic Park when it comes to breathtaking new visual stuff.
Aintitcool said roughly the same thing. Good CG, good 3-d, but not "the future of movies." About what I expected.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

MANTIS wrote:from Chud:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This is a quick reaction piece due to the fact that I have got a zillion things to do right now, but I saw 24 minutes of Avatar today (in 3D) and I have to talk about it.

It's damn good looking. Design-wise the world of Pandora is excellent, rich, complex and detailed. It's a vividly imagined place; one that's not as alien as advertised (it will look familiar to scifi readers with a good collection of old pulp magazines, for one) but impressive nonetheless. And I think that goes for everything I saw of Avatar: not quite as advertised, but impressive.

- This is an evolutionary jump, not a revolutionary leap. Avatar left my eyes unfucked. I didn't experience movies in a whole new way, and nothing I saw on screen left me feeling more than impressed. What the movie represents is someone putting real money into the current CGI and mocap tech and shoving it an extra step forward.

- The facial work is excellent. It makes Dr. Manhattan look dated; while I thought Billy Crudup's face came through well in Watchmen the faces of the Navi really contain the actors, and the range of expression is impressive. Whether this is algorithyms or animators I don't know.

- The Navi are designed in a way that I think minimizes the uncanny valley aspect - their eyes are big and wide apart, for one - but their design is also very cartoony. It distanced me. Which leads me to this:

- Avatar looks like a very advanced CGI toon. When CGI Navi are interacting with CGI monsters in CGI landscapes, it all looks very CGI. This is, frankly, not photoreal.

- Pandora at night looks sort of like a black light poster. Even the Navi have black light freckles! Which isn't to minimize how great it looks, but it's not the mind-blowing thing we were told to expect.

- The story that I could gather looked very bleh. Sam Worthington is a crippled space marine who gets a Navi avatar body so he can run around the planet Pandora with the military. He's psyched to be whole again, and then when he's out in the wild he gets separated from his unit by a monster attack. A Navi warrior (girl) is about to kill him when she gets a mystical sign to leave him be. He is surrounded by monsters and about to get killed when she rescues him and gets another mystical sign that he's special. They obviously fall in love. He joins the tribe of Navi and tames some kind of dragon to be his steed. It's Dances With Wolves In Space.

In the end I think this would have been better without all of the 'THIS WILL CHANGE THE WORLD OF CINEMA' stuff that comes right from Cameron's mouth (I heard him say essentially that at the IMAX presentation yesterday). This is an impressive step forward, but I don't think it's Jurassic Park when it comes to breathtaking new visual stuff.
Aintitcool said roughly the same thing. Good CG, good 3-d, but not "the future of movies." About what I expected.
Hahaha he said it's NOT Jurassic Park... ouch. I didn't expect to have my mind blown either, but an all-CGI world that does NOT reek of new Star Wars trilogy - that would be nice.
Jack Mort
O.G-Had

Post by Jack Mort »

James Cameron's technology always looks fucking badass. That suit is cool as hell.
T3HGCKa

http://www.last.fm/user/NxTx
soiled depends wrote:her mom sounds like miss piggy choking on a huge juicy cock...
Bored IV
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Bored IV »

The budget is $300m? Ouch. I don't know if this is going to deliver.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Bored IV wrote:The budget is $300m? Ouch. I don't know if this is going to deliver.
I think he deliberately made it world-friendly; fantastic/SFX movies tend to do really well overseas:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Transformers 2:
Domestic: $369,321,117 47.7%
+ Foreign: $404,292,758 52.3%
= Worldwide: $773,613,875

Hellboy 2:
Domestic: $75,986,503 47.4%
+ Foreign: $84,401,560 52.6%
= Worldwide: $160,388,063

LOTR 1:
Domestic: $314,776,170 36.1%
+ Foreign: $555,985,574 63.9%
= Worldwide: $870,761,744

Harry Potter 1:
Domestic: $317,575,550 32.6%
+ Foreign: $657,158,000 67.4%
= Worldwide: $974,733,550
It's tough to find movies to compare though since this is sort of different (two of the above have built-in book-fans while the other two are sequels). Anyway, I doubt it'll make a billion dollars like Titanic, but it should at least make its money back.

I was just getting bummed that no-one really makes sci-fi/action/horror movies like Aliens/T2 anymore - what the hell?
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote:
MANTIS wrote:from Chud:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Hahaha he said it's NOT Jurassic Park... ouch.
Come on. The first Jurassic Park was a milestone in special effects. Changed everything. Most of the FX still hold up really well too. Unlike the actual movie.
Necrometer wrote: I was just getting bummed that no-one really makes sci-fi/action/horror movies like Aliens/T2 anymore - what the hell?
This.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

0_0 ITS A UNIX SYSTEM I KNOW THIS
ImageImageImage
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

yesssssssss

MANTIS wrote:Come on. The first Jurassic Park was a milestone in special effects. Changed everything. Most of the FX still hold up really well too. Unlike the actual movie.
Jurassic Park was indeed "next level" at the time, but there are huge numbers of rubber-raptor-head-on-a-stick shots in that movie. I don't remember people's minds being blown... mine wasn't. I'd like to hope that Avatar ends up being at least as ante-upping as JP.