James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing in cinema theaters

Music posts are a bannable offense.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR: 240 g clear/silver swirl run of 13

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote:I don't remember people's minds being blown... mine wasn't. I'd like to hope that Avatar ends up being at least as ante-upping as JP.
CG hadn't been used to create living organisms before this. They originally planned on using stop-motion! Minds were definitely blown Ross. The rubber raptor heads can eat a dick sure, but take another look at the T-Rex scenes. The CG still holds up better than lots of recent stuff.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

WTF is this thing? I'm going to be so pre-bummed for the movie by the time it comes out, I might actually be pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Yeah, I saw that this morning and just decided not to post it, in the interest of your emotional well-being.

They desperately need to release some badass footage to save me from total apathy at this point. I'd be happy with just another fun James Cameron sci-fi flick, but if you go around promising something a decade-in-the-making and earth-shattering, well then you better deliver.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

MANTIS wrote:They desperately need to release some badass footage...
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Streven Adler wrote:it's fun how you people expect james cameron to deliver anything good anymore.
still haven't seen Titanic 8)
Molester Stallone wrote:Oh look, another thread about a movie you guys know is going to be shit and you'll bitch and complain about every little update, and then when you spend your $11 to go see it you'll come back and complain about the same shit you've complained about.
stripped away... painfully

I just presume you guys are doing the same thing in your sports threads "OMG I can't believe WE traded [guy] to YOU, he was OUR best [position]" ... a wasteland of pronoun confusion
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

MANTIS wrote:
Necrometer wrote:I don't remember people's minds being blown... mine wasn't. I'd like to hope that Avatar ends up being at least as ante-upping as JP.
CG hadn't been used to create living organisms before this. They originally planned on using stop-motion! Minds were definitely blown Ross. The rubber raptor heads can eat a dick sure, but take another look at the T-Rex scenes. The CG still holds up better than lots of recent stuff.
Hey, the physical effects weren't bad either. That was still Stan Winston creature shop that did all of them...which would arguably be "as good as it gets" at the time. I still think they hold up. Hell, the T-rex had a giant rubber head too (when it eats the goat, pushing through the sunroof, etc).

The moving CGI T-rex is still one of the best effects in cinema history, I think. Still believable, looks great in movement (which is a big thing...as there had been plenty of pictures and cartoons of dinosaurs, but it was cool to see it moving in 3d), and just a great action scene in general.

Back on topic...
Damn straight I expect Cameron to do something good. Titanic was an anomaly....he's done great movies in the past (and aside from the rest of the movie, the ship sinking part was great!).
Very much looking forward to this movie. The only thing that would make me happier is Verhoeven returning to sci-fi as well.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

It's OK man, it's who I am. Just like Kat Shevil. I come across certain things that work FOR me in that hyper-analytical context. Stalker was like that, but it wasn't subject to months of anticipation. I was definitely excited for The Dark Knight and not let down by it. It's not all bummers for me! I think Cameron has shown an attention to detail that I really appreciate, and I think on many levels I'm going to enjoy this movie no matter what. I guess it's exciting to see the potential of this thing teeter between "revolutionary sci-fi epic" and "overexpensive cartoon fun for the whole family". Certainly it'll be somewhere in-between. But yeah, just over two weeks until we get to see the longest trailer ever released.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote:just over two weeks until we get to see the longest trailer ever released.
:confused:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:lhug: Rhydian 4ever
MANTIS wrote:
Necrometer wrote:just over two weeks until we get to see the longest trailer ever released.
:confused:
YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT AVATAR DAY!?!?!?!
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

...no?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Just this past weekend at San Diego Comic Con 2009, James Cameron made the mega-announcement that August 21, 2009 would be Avatar Day, and that fans would be able to head out to participating IMAX theaters to see 15 whole minutes of glorious 3-D footage from the upcoming movie (Read: SDCC 09: See 15 Minutes of James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ In 3D Imax For Free On August 21), which will be released on December 18, 2009. This gives movie-goers the chance to really see what the movie is all about and how it hopes to change the cinema experience as we presently know it.

Now comes details via a press release that there will indeed be a whole lot more to Avatar Day than just the 15-minute preview that was announced — in fact, a multitude of Avatar goodies are on the way on August 21!

For those of us who aren’t able to get our hands on tickets to the epic preview, the official trailer will in fact also be released on August 21. That’s right, every single one of us will be able to finally get a look at the movie, whether it’s in theaters on any type of screen, or even just online. Of course, it won’t look nearly as good on a little computer screen in 2-D, but it will give us a small idea of what to expect, in the very least.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

so the trailer will be 15 minutes in the theater and online? Cool, cuz we have no Imax theaters in this shit town.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

MANTIS wrote:so the trailer will be 15 minutes in the theater and online? Cool, cuz we have no Imax theaters in this shit town.
I think it will have to be at least a 3D theater if you want to see it big. But yeah, naturally the stuff will make it online, at the very least it'll be cam footage of 3D projection, LOL.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

You guys actually want to watch 15 minutes of the movie in 3D in the theater? Talk about cocktease.
I'll wait for the movie.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ungodlywarlock wrote:You guys actually want to watch 15 minutes of the movie in 3D in the theater? Talk about cocktease.
I'll wait for the movie.
Sure, man! Same day Inglorious Basterds comes out, and I can't resist watching that.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

Ah, I guess I'm just one of those people that barely even likes to watch a trailer much less entire chunks of the movie. I get the "gotta see it now" aspect, though.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Actually, I'll do the "avoid trailer" thing - for example I skipped the Dark Knight trailer since I knew I'd go. But this 15 min deal is better than a trailer since it won't have spoilers, you know? Just some cool stuff. I'm into it. Also I can pre-decide if the dimness of the 3D is bumming me out, because some movies (Up, for example) actually suffer in 3D because they're less vibrant. I know this thing is all about the 3D, and I heard Cameron is trying to take into account all the shit that actually determines the viewers experience in the end. Still, maybe I want that as a second-viewing bonus?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Here's how to get the 15-min trailer tickets:
After long last, the wait is finally coming to a close, and just to tease you even more, James Cameron and company are giving audiences a chance to see 16 whole minutes of his forthcoming science fiction epic Avatar.

We reported on this back during Comic-Con (or at least our intern, Scott, did) but even we didn’t really understand the details of what seemed like either an ingenious or tragically stupid marketing move. And now we do.

On Monday (August Seventeenth, Two-Thousand-And-Nine), at NOON PST (That’s 3:00pm Eastern, 2:00pm Central, and 1:00pm Whateverthatothertimezoneis) the movie’s website will be handing out free tickets as long as supplies last.

The website, if you didn’t click on the above link, is www.avatarmovie.com.

Bookmark it.

The tickets will get you into one of two screenings on the evening of Friday, August 21st, and you’ll get to see a quick intro from Cameron and the footage which includes some scenes that weren’t shown at Comic-Con this year. Coincidentally, the trailer for the film pops up on screens everywhere that Friday as well. It’s almost as if the marketing team planned it that way.

Good luck on getting yours before they all run out the door. Set your alarms for stun that day, make sure you have your typing and mouse-clicking fingers properly prepared, and here we……go.
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/h ... -colea.php
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

Necrometer wrote:Jurassic Park was indeed "next level" at the time, but there are huge numbers of rubber-raptor-head-on-a-stick shots in that movie. I don't remember people's minds being blown... mine wasn't. I'd like to hope that Avatar ends up being at least as ante-upping as JP.
Jurassic Park was a proof of concept movie in special effects by seamlessly hybridizing both CGI and animatronics, which had been considered "dead" due to films like T2 coming out and everyone getting wowed by those effects. A lot of audiences at the time had a hard time distinguishing the CGI animals from the animatronic ones, although they're pretty obvious toward the end when there's a lot of fast-motion, high light scenes.

Problem is, Jurassic Park showed producers how goddamn expensive decent animatronics are along with their limiting physical logistics and that investing in CGI was cheaper and with marginally worse results if you could find clever filmmakers to frame shots right. "Shaky-cam" technique is a by-product of the really CGI-heavy era of the mid-late 90s like Independence Day and Men in Black, which is why Transformers reminded me of a movie from 10 years ago, not 2007.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

That's a good point about the animatronics - it did have GREAT animatronics.

Another pic - this ponytail-on-smurf thing might be a bit too stupid to stomach!
Necrometer

Re: Cameron's AVATAR - get Friday teaser tix at 3EST/12PST today

Post by Necrometer »

If you want to see the 15-min Avatar sneak this Friday night (showing at 6:00 and 6:30), go to one of these sites to reserve tickets. I think you will enter your email and they'll send you a pass for two.
http://www.avatarmovie.com/ticketing/ which will probably just link to: http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/1 (for AMCs in USA)
http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/3 (for Canada)

Tickets will be released at 3 PM EST / noon PST today.

This is a tentative list of cities:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Calgary
Charlotte
Chicago
Cincinnati
Columbus
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
Minneapolis-St Paul
New Orleans
New York
Norfolk
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Seattle
Tampa
Toronto
Washington DC
Last edited by Necrometer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necrometer

Re: Cameron's AVATAR - get Friday teaser tix at 3EST/12PST today

Post by Necrometer »

OK it's up & running: http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/1

edit, oh, for Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto you want to go here: http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/3
Last edited by Necrometer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.