bike thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Re: bike thread

Post by Geeheeb »

There are n+1 youtube howto videos for every repair you need to do.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

Guys I know how to lube a chain and adjust things...
Kevin what's your opinion on disc brakes on road bikes? Are they worth the extra maintenance?
This is the bike I'm probably getting...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 175/83954/
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

So I ordered this. It'll be in by Friday... Last bike I'll ever need.

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Erik13 wrote:Last bike I'll ever need.
Shyeah, right.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

well, unless I crash it. :awesome:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Erik13 wrote:well, unless I crash it. :awesome:
I'm just saying, if you're willing to buy a bike like that, it probably won't be the last time you do it.

And I've never had a road crash, so I'M SURE I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ALLUD... actually, I have. On a mountain bike, no less. Sliced my knee open. Nevermind.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

How did you crash a mtb on the road?
And, no I won't ever buy a more expensive bike. 2 grand is the top of my price range.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Erik13 wrote:How did you crash a mtb on the road?
Honestly, I still have no idea how that happened. This was my first full suspension bike about 8 years ago, on the first day I had it. It was slightly rainy and I was crossing over a curb, and somehow the front tire slipped and next thing I know there's a 1.5-inch gash across my kneecap, and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. Damnedest thing. All my later crashes where I had serious injuries I sort of understand how they happened, but this one's still a mystery to me.
And, no I won't ever buy a more expensive bike. 2 grand is the top of my price range.
Sure, man. You keep telling yourself that.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

Well I've tipped over in the woods a couple times, but haven't crashed on the road...yet.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

what is the largest tire you can fit on that thang?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

I have no clue. ..why would I want a bigger tire? Wouldn't that slow me down?
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Post by Advances>|<MONKEY »

Walked by a surly cross check in pea soup green the other day and oh my god. I stared.
"I AM THE LONE RANGER" = Donald Trump.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

They call it hospital foam green.

Mine is dirty dark blue.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

The cross check fork I bought for the dumpster bike is black. Just black no
dumb name.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Erik13 wrote:I have no clue. ..why would I want a bigger tire? Wouldn't that slow me down?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ren_209268

Bigger has less rolling resistance, more comfy, less flats. But they can be slower due to extra weight, and rotational weight. Like most racers use 25c or even bigger for rough races now, fewer run 23c than 10 years ago.

Some informal research also suggests that clipless might not be any more efficient than flat pedals too. Insane.
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Post by Advances>|<MONKEY »

I've had gatorskins on both my tires for a few years and iv'e gotten 2 real flats in that time. I've replaced them twice as much from my shit teir nashbar valves popping. Both flats came from TINY peices of glass that worked their way into the tire over longish peiords of time as well, once i started looking at them when I cleaned the thing I haven't had a flat in years.

Too bad my shit valves leak about 5 psi per day. Not acceptable. I use the pump before I ride each time.
"I AM THE LONE RANGER" = Donald Trump.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I use some BIG ASS tires now. On my cross check I have 32c, have used 42. 32 on my fixed gear. 38 on the touring bike. 28 on the front of my nice 80s trek because the carbon fork won't fit anything bigger, 30 on the back.

just like erik I started with 23 or 25 gatorskins years ago and got pinch flats because I didn't check before each ride.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

I flipped over my handlebars on Sunday because some jerk opened his car door without looking. Amazingly nothing more than a few scratches and bruises, but it looks like I'll be taking the rest of this week off :x
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

glad you are safe. dooring people is against the law here, but I probably wouldn't go hard in the paint either if I was okay.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

It was some old weirdo Caribbean guy that just didn't check, innocent enough. Me scaring the shit out of him by coming out of nowhere and kind of fucking up his car was justice served and he will probably check the fucking mirror the rest of the time he's opening car doors.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

doorcore joke here
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

hipster holocaust wrote:I flipped over my handlebars on Sunday because some jerk opened his car door without looking. Amazingly nothing more than a few scratches and bruises, but it looks like I'll be taking the rest of this week off :x
I would get him to buy you a sweet new bike. If he refuses go after his car insurance
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Since there wasn't any real damage to me, my bike, or his car, I told him next time to watch what the fuck he was doing and went over a friend's place and got BBQ'd and drunk'd.

In all honesty it was a pretty good last day of vacation besides that little snag.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

what about damages for metal anguish?
postaddiction
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by postaddiction »

I'm getting a road bike soon probably. What should I get? Is there anything in the last 46 pages of this thread that would help?
:lj: