The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by milkmandan »

I have an extra DA:I Flames of the Inquisition Code if anyone wants it:

5F8E-JEN8-2KPQ
ImageImageImage
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

You made Hashtrash.
Wang Mandu wrote:Image

My Inquisitor. I'm really enjoying the import feature and all the dialogue referencing it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Haha. That really isnt a sword, it's a huge bong on his back.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Ubisoft's new open world shooter Far Cry 4 released today, and many players are having problems connecting to servers, and even playing the game on one platform.

Some users attempting to play PvP matches are having difficulties finding matches, while others are being disconnected once they actually find one. Players on PlayStation 3 seem to be having another problem entirely –– some are unable to play the game, and Ubisoft said this might have something to do with previous Far Cry 3 save data.

The publisher hasn't provided any possible solutions, but posted a survey on a forum thread to try to find one. The company said it will update players with information as soon as it's available.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

And what's the deal with these massive day one patches? 1 Gig of download isn't just, "Oops, we missed a sound stutter in cutscenes 3".
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The real problem is Ubisoft's track record of not fixing shit. I really, really liked the last Splinter Cell game, but it was obviously just abandoned at some point because it didn't sell.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

I went with a female elf (dual wielding rogue, as usual) in DA:I solely because the dude's beards looked so shitty.

but my god, I can't get over how much better the rest of the game looks compared to the older DA games. and in my 2-3 hours of playing it seems like there's already been more places to see than ALL of DA2. I'm liking the tactical camera and how advancing time works, but sometimes the camera gets really screwy when I'm going in and out of tactical mode. I'm on hard right now though, and the only time I've NEEDED to slow things down was the tutorial boss.

overall though, the game seems like it's just what I wanted: a Dragon Age game with better world building and environments in general. it also seems HUGE and I'm not sure when I'm even going to open Far Cry 4, let alone make any progress in it. I've also gone down the rabbit hole of collecting everything in Infamous: SS because moving around the city is so fun.. so many games ;_;
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Speaking of cameras. Now I already sold it back because the bugs were too much and the enjoyment was too lacking, but I never mentioned this tidbit. Lords of the Fallen had some of the worst camera out of position issues I can remember in years. Imagine playing Dark Souls where you constantly can't see your character because he's too close to a wall. Now imagine a game where your always close to a wall because it's just narrow hallways half the time. I do not recommend this game. I'd still like to see them do a sequel with hopes they learn from their mistakes, but this game is a no.

At home with the boy now for two days while he recovers from strep. As it goes, Amazon sent me all three new games at once. Unfortunately, all three are at my job. Why did Amazon send me three games on release day this time, yet took over a week to get me my last 8 or so previous new releases? Fucking taunting and mocking me.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Hard is not very hard on DA:I. I have only been wiped once and that was because I took on a level 12 rift at level 5. Finally starting to open up se new areas but I don't want to leave the Hinterlands yet. Game rules minus some freezing issues on PC.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Bunch of Negative Nancys up in this thread the last few days. I was home with a sick kid, and I have a dog in the hospital, and when I actually had 20 free minutes to play a game I played RYSE: Son of Rome... and I liked what I played. Game looks gorgeous. It's over simplified game play and controls are a welcome after a year involving Dark Souls and Shadows of Mordor. It's no instant classic, but I think it's a perfectly inoffensive game.

P.S. XBone resumes games where ever you left them, even if you turn off the console. Very nice feature, Microsoft, I may end up loving your train wreak yet. Plus, just like the 360, it really pops colors beautifully.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Wang Mandu wrote:Hard is not very hard on DA:I. I have only been wiped once and that was because I took on a level 12 rift at level 5. Finally starting to open up se new areas but I don't want to leave the Hinterlands yet. Game rules minus some freezing issues on PC.
I got wiped out within like 5 minutes of getting to the Hinterlands. and in like 10 seconds no less. wtf? also am I imagining things, or was there a way in DA:O and DA2 to tell all of your party to go to a specific location all at once that is missing in this game? I know in the tactical view you can select an individual party member and direct them where to go, but I haven't figured out a way to control the party as a whole.

and do they not have the cross-class combos from DA2? those were awesome and usually what I focused on when selecting a party. I thought I got a trophy for something related to a combo the other day, but I have no idea what I did to get it...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Every single review I've read says the games gets better after a certain amount of hours. Fucking Destiny all over again.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

isn't that sort of like every RPG in the history of mankind?

fuck, it took 5 hours in Persona 4 to be able to do anything at all outside of scripted stuff. come on guys.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:isn't that sort of like every RPG in the history of mankind?
Yeah, I'm trying to remember an RPG that wasn't a slow starter, and I'm coming up empty. They all take a while to pick up and for you to get into, and that's... kinda the point?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote:isn't that sort of like every RPG in the history of mankind?
Hmm? Pretty much. I was going to say SOTN, but the Richter and beginning level before you're stripped are far too short.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

I almost feel like we're playing different games. About the slow beginning: if anything, I thought they threw too much stuff at you really quickly, like cataclysmic, world-altering events that you don't even understand fully. I almost wish it *would* have started slower and explained to me wtf was going and then built up to how the game begins. But I don't see how it's slow at all.

as for the sidequests, I've only done those that are basically en route to my main objectives. I don't feel like I've had to grind out sidequests to progress in the story, but maybe you're farther than me. it does seem like there are a TON, but I plan on bypassing a lot of those because I'd rather play the game again with a different race/gender than force myself to complete 100% of the game.

my only real complaints are about some of the changes to the combat, but I need more time with it to make sure I'm just not overlooking stuff or not optimizing my party.

just out of curiosity, what made you bail on DA2 so quickly? that game's most glaring weaknesses came like 10-15 hours in once you realized how much the environments were recycled, but early on I thought it was fine. maybe the DA style has just worn thin for you?
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Look at this fucking pig. Totally going to kill her after she gives me a blow job. Her last meal will be my fucking cock, which is probably the only non-fried food that's been in Ms. Ohio's mouth since last Christmas. Fucking Rikki Lake wannabe white trash thinking putting up bamboo print wallpaper in the bathroom is classy. Tell your sister Malanie Hutsell that's she's not funny, and neither is your face. It's just sad. And it's going to be dead, after I blast off in it.

guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote:Look at this fucking pig. Totally going to kill her after she gives me a blow job. Her last meal will be my fucking cock, which is probably the only non-fried food that's been in Ms. Ohio's mouth since last Christmas. Fucking Rikki Lake wannabe white trash thinking putting up bamboo print wallpaper in the bathroom is classy. Tell your sister Malanie Hutsell that's she's not funny, and neither is your face. It's just sad. And it's going to be dead, after I blast off in it.

:awesome:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Pisscubes wrote:But I really liked those concentrated stories in Orgins that fit into the wider plot. Free the mage tower, banish the demon from the kid, help the blood mage escape, those kinds of things. They were intense and made the game play more fun. I really just feel like all I'm doing is running around right now.
those were the main story missions of the entire 50+ hour DA:O game though, so of course they were memorable and cool in comparison to minor quests you're doing in the first 4% of a massive game. I'm sure DA:I is going to have just as many fleshed-out story quests by the end (if not more).

but I do agree that the openness of this game (or any game) is going to lead to more filler and less focus. that's just the trade-off you get with having more exploration. I'm sure I'll eventually bypass more and more side stuff, but I like having that exploration because it was so sorely lacking in the first two DA games.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Pisscubes wrote::tup: :tup: :tup:

I think game developers need to re-learn this stuff. If the review of your game is "Play it for 6 hours, it will get better"-- you're not doing it right.
hold on child, did you actually read that post? he's basically saying the exact opposite of that... if you're sick of side quests in the Hinterlands, just stick to the story and move on. that area isn't meant to all be completed at once anyway (apparently, I wouldn't know yet)
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Lets get this out of the way, DA:I is a vastly superior game to Skyrim. Better world, better combat, better plot, better companions, better looking armor. Skyrim is a nice blackhole to get lost in but that's about it. I might even go as far as to say this is Bioware's best game since the Baldur's Gate trilogy but will wait on that. I am also easily impressed by shiny new games that get me hooked hard so don't listen to me.

That reddit post is spot on and most people have no one to blame but themselves if they get tired of the Hinterlands. You can do a main story mission outside of there at level 4 if you have enough power (which is ridiculously easy to earn). I gotta disagree about the side quests. There are fetch quests but there is lore behind each one and they make sense to the overall plot about you earning the trust of the people. You actually see the world subtly change as you help out the refugees in the Hinterlands. Also, walk everywhere. I always find something interesting on the way to an objective. Read the codex, read the notes, enjoy the setting.

Give the story time lol. It's a 45-100 hour game with 5 other companions and many more areas to unlock. Go to Orlais and do the main mission as soon as it opens.

I am disappointed the tactics are dumbed down but that is expected for a multiplatform WRPG these days. On the other hand, the combat is probably the best it has ever been in these games. I had to tweak the behaviors to not follow me and Cassandra to shadow the mages and aggro the enemies while I come behind and go to work with my Crusher Destroyer Greatsword. It feels like they want players to play it like Mass Effect with how autopilot and untweakable the companion behaviors are.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Not really. Skyrim has a great world, some nice early moments, fantastic mod support and superb music. It is a decent game because of the freedom. Everything else is retardedly simple or uninspired like nearly every quest. Scaling enemies have no place in an rpg.