The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

RY4N wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am i gave up my tv last december so i havent been gaming. I thought about getting a cheap computer monitor to play my ps4 on but that new far cry doesnt come out until february. WHAT THE FUCK
I don't know what to tell you. I've exclusively used TVs for consoles and PC's since the mid-2000's. The only computer monitor I've been around is the iMac's screen. Are budget monitor's cheaper? At places like BJ's or Costco small Vizio's seem pretty damn cheap, and I'm sure 1080p is the default now.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Anyone playing Hellblade? It's cute and all, but it kinda feels like an indie game in AAA clothes. From what I can tell, it's basically a puzzle solver interrupted by occasional combat sequences, and after two hours I already felt like it was starting to repeat itself. I guess I should've known, given how all the hype around it focused exclusively on the story and nobody breathed a word about the actual game. Sigh.

It's also just not true that mental illness as a core element of a game is all that new. Dead Space did it, Spec Ops: The Line did it, I'm sure there's been others.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 am Anyone playing Hellblade?
Previous page...
The Bill wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am While in Greece, one of the few times I had internet access, some Facebook ad for Hellblade: Something Something popped up. I bought it after having two crafts of red table wine. It's the story of Baley from WWE fresh out of Burning man and she's still tripping out. Amazing looking, yet not elaborate. Combat feels brutal and heavy, but it's as simple as it gets in 2017. Story and presentation has my full attention, but the puzzles blow and bore me. So, a mixed bag. Honestly, if it wasn't so damn good looking I might not be playing it, but I need to palate cleanser after all the FPS'ing. Plus, I bought it, so I should play it.
So, yes. I hope the game is short.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oops, sorry, missed that.

Apparently there's some sort of focus meter that you're supposed to pay attention to during combat? Trouble is, the game doesn't explain that at all. So far, all I've seen is parry-counter-kill. And the combat sequences all just happen as interruptions when you're opening a door and feel more like a nuisance than anything. Maybe I'll at least keep playing until the first boss fight or something.

The voice acting's good, but it's hard to do what this game tries to do and not be pretentious, and it's not always steering clear of that.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 am Apparently there's some sort of focus meter that you're supposed to pay attention to during combat? Trouble is, the game doesn't explain that at all. So far, all I've seen is parry-counter-kill. And the combat sequences all just happen as interruptions when you're opening a door and feel more like a nuisance than anything. Maybe I'll at least keep playing until the first boss fight or something.
I haven't reached the boss either. I tried the focus button once, assuming it was a lock on, but it didn't do anything. Might have to consult a walk-through about that after I type this up. Enemy emergence has been exclusive to being around doors. Now I nervous around doors in the game.

spacehamster wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 am The voice acting's good, but it's hard to do what this game tries to do and not be pretentious, and it's not always steering clear of that.
Main character breaks the forth wall almost immediately, and then there's a joke about a cow being involved in Norse mythology. That all might fly in a Deadpool game, but if you're going to be all dark and demented, try to keep the corny stuff out. Thanks, game company that gave Dante a terribly gay hair cut. Thanks.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am Main character breaks the forth wall almost immediately
I actually thought that was kind of clever because it implies the player is one of the voices in her head.

It really is beyond weird that Ninja Theory, of all the studios, would try something like this.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

They are exceptionally good at making video game eyes.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 am yeah man. cant wait to buy that and pillars of eternity for my console and then just sorta stare at them for the next two years

i had my first taste of diablo style enjoyment only recently and im excited for path of exile
It's out August 24th. If the game gets it's hooks in you, I highly recommend buying a stash tab and much later on currency/divination card/essence tabs too. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them but I'm still wrapping my head around some of the game mechanics regarding the economy and currency. Everything matters when it comes to currency, even town portal scrolls, so stock up as much as you can. I went in blindly and kind of winged it with my first build but that didn't take me far. I ended up restarting and following a youtuber's build guide. There are also tons of build guides on the poe forums. It's probably the best f2p game ever.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I stopped playing that Hellblade game. I never went back after my conversation with Spacehampster. I did want to still play as a chick with lice infested hair, though. So, I restarted Horizon Zero Dawn. I had to dismantle the VR set-up to get it to use HDR, goddamnit! Anyway, time heals wounds, and I enjoy it a lot more this time. Open world isn't baring down on me, and I'm sticking to just playing missions instead of fucking around and getting distracted. Game's been patched since the winter, and I think there are differences. I know one of them flat top brontosaurus dudes was not there last time, but he is now. Glitch?

I bought Ark Survival for like 3 dollars 2 years ago. It's finally officially released so I downloaded it, and tried it out. I have never in my life been so confused and clueless as to what to do in a video game. Why am I freezing even though I'm on a tropical beach? Where do I go? What do I do? How do I do... anything. The menus intimidating. If I was standing, the game would have made me fall down.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 am I stopped playing that Hellblade game. I never went back after my conversation with Spacehampster.
Me neither. I also really need to go back and finish Horizon, but I just haven't felt much like baming lately.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Horizon has become a game I really dig playing if I have a cocktail, but perfectly sober, I just don't ever want to play. Interesting, the game has become an enabler. Well, I enjoy it when I play it, and I must imagine I'm more than halfway through, although I am a sucker for side quests. I'll probably continue The Bill's Everlasting Ladies' Night with that new Uncharted thing even though I have a premonition the two main characters are going to annoy me. That should take care of the vanilla PS4 for a while so I can reinstall the VR.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Even after not buying a new game for ages, Destiny 2 didn't even give me a seconds temptation when it came out today.

Just got back from a week in Samoa, holidays are good & the Switch was sick on the plane.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Even after not buying a new game for ages, Destiny 2 didn't even give me a seconds temptation when it came out today.

Just got back from a week in Samoa, holidays are good & the Switch was sick on the plane.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 am the Switch was sick on the plane.
Does it charge via a USB?
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Not out of the box but there is an accessory cable you can buy.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://youtu.be/_CdRyFneSFs

witcher 3 behind the scenes thing from pax west. its pretty damn funny :tup:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6MtsACDx8

the full panel :fonz:

this fucking rules btw
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:tup: Best studio ever.
doomeddisciple wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 am Even after not buying a new game for ages, Destiny 2 didn't even give me a seconds temptation when it came out today.
Admittedly I am a huge fanboy but It's actually pretty great and a huge leap forward from the fun mess that was D1. I didn't like what I was hearing before release and thought about passing but my clan talked me into it. The campaign is long enough and provides enough fun. There's a shit ton of activities to do post game now and overall everything works and fits together smoother. Gearing up has never been easier and the rng isn't nearly as cruel as it used to be.

I can't wait for the raid this week.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

High praise brother, but I'm all Destinied out I reckon.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I can't do it either (Destiny 2). Some one came up with a way for me to not want to play a FPS and it's the Destiny/Borderlands formula.

Played more Horizon. I wouldn't mind if it would start to wrap up now.

I started the new Uncharted... I don't like it. The story/cut-scene stuff that is. Nothing to do with being a lady. It's just too Uncharted. Best comparison I can do is it's like Gilmore Girls. First three games are like watching the first three episodes and you think, well, this isn't my favorite thing but it's quirky I guess and the daughter has a nice big ass. Then you get to the forth and the constant cutesy dialogue just grates and you've seen more interesting asses on other shows. I guess I'll still give it a proper shot once Horizon is finished, but I'm already not invested.

As the weather cools down, I want to shift gears a bit. Maybe Prey or Dishonored 2.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

i got fallout 4 again. are those new expansions worth it? and if so which ones?
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am i got fallout 4 again. are those new expansions worth it? and if so which ones?
I only played the Disneyland style one. It had great parts, but far to much scavenger hunt missions. I have no interest in the robot building one. The Far Harbor one seemed to be the best one, but Nuke-A-Land burned me out, and then I stopped. Reinstalled some time later to see how it is in 4K, but never touched the DLC stuff.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Far Harbour one is the only one I really enjoyed.

I know what you mean about Horizon Bill - I went though that - it has a pretty long lead up to wrapping things - but the story and the missions pay off pretty nicely. Persevere.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

far harbour is the one i wanted most. thanks pals
formerly ghost boner
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

I hadn't fired up Battlefield 4 on PC in forever, but my brother was playing so I joined his server. He was playing in a random squad, with... BattletweeteR. He still wants koward kunt Kevin Kitchel to unban him.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.