The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Chigurh
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Chigurh »

What's Naughty Dog-itis?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Chigurh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm What's Naughty Dog-itis?
I’m thinking he means there’s a lot of exposition and characters doing mundane stuff rather than getting on with ripping something in half or shooting someone. I’ve noticed most of these Sony in-house games are like this now (Horizon, Last of Us, Uncharted). It makes all these games seem like they’re cut from the same cloth. Like they’re all 90’s sitcoms airing on the same network, if you will.

Game is very very good thus far. It doesn’t go open world. More Metriovania. Much like that last Assassins Creed game, you can tell someone has been playing Dark Souls and the game is better for it.

In the end I felt Far Cry 5 was good and the ending made sense if you listened to what the three bosses were babbling about, although their babbling is a chore to sit through. It was an odd game. Super fun at points then annoying the next second. Also, skipping NPC conversations are a must. The mute protagonist was more interesting then these people.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Dudes, anyone play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? It just became backwards compatible on the XBOX1 and I still have my GOTY Platinum Edition for the original XBOX. I don't want to deal with mouse/kb or PC fan patches or whatever, so if I'm ever going to play it, I guess it's here and almost now on the XBOX. I think I played it for 15 minutes once, but it might have been around the time I transitioned to the 360. Interesting note, I had never heard of the Elder Scrolls until fucking Thurber created a thread about this game on the old board. I bought this game based on Thurber's recommendation.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:22 pm
Chigurh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm What's Naughty Dog-itis?
I’m thinking he means there’s a lot of exposition and characters doing mundane stuff rather than getting on with ripping something in half or shooting someone.
Basically. There's just way, way, way too many interruptions to the actual gameplay. Like, I dunno, picking flowers for some witch so that she can heal her wild boar companion. (And then Kratos doesn't even rape her. What's this world coming to?)

The story's intriguing, the graphics are fantastic and the combat's really good on the rare occasion that it actually happens, but if this game doesn't stop boring me soon, I'm done with it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am

The story's intriguing, the graphics are fantastic and the combat's really good on the rare occasion that it actually happens, but if this game doesn't stop boring me soon, I'm done with it.
Ha! Coming off ADD Crack Addict Far Cry 5, I'm happy to just pick flowers.

I can totally see Kratos instructing his son on how to rape the forest witch:
"Now, boy!" Then going to place his hand on the kid's shoulder only to take it away.
Chigurh

Post by Chigurh »

Far Cry 5 has the longest end credits I have ever seen in anything. You'd think that with the million and one people they had working on the game, one of them would have pointed out that the "good ending" actually kind of sucks
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am Dudes, anyone play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? It just became backwards compatible on the XBOX1 and I still have my GOTY Platinum Edition for the original XBOX. I don't want to deal with mouse/kb or PC fan patches or whatever, so if I'm ever going to play it, I guess it's here and almost now on the XBOX. I think I played it for 15 minutes once, but it might have been around the time I transitioned to the 360. Interesting note, I had never heard of the Elder Scrolls until fucking Thurber created a thread about this game on the old board. I bought this game based on Thurber's recommendation.
i did. a lot. on the og xbox and then again on pc. i installed this backwards compat version and give it a whirl and the framerate wasnt terrible. looked exactly the same. i have very strong memories of playing it both times that i did but i'd just be aware that it has aged quite a bit, and not just graphically. i think if you have the tolerance for it there's great aspects of that game that were totally lost in the other elder scrolls games that came after.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Just finished my first playthrough of the story of God of War.

Fucking gorgeous game, great scale, amusing NPCs, a few minor annoying bits. I feel there’s probably another 20-30 hours in doing all the Valkyries, I’m annoyed a bit I can’t go to all the realms.

Sets itself up to be there first of several in the Norse pantheon. I liked it a whole bunch.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I think I’m wrapping up God of War over here. Very good game, but not my preferred kind of game. It’s a Zelda clone, but not Zelda clone enough to call it a Zelda clone. I previously mentioned I got Dark Souls & Witcher 3 vibes from it, but after some time, I’m thinking its more like Darksiders than anything else.

I patched and graphic modded System Shock 2, so now its all nice looking, running in 4K. I have a new mouse, so it’s a glorious return to mouse/keyboard for me (for a replay of some older PC games). Anyway, I did not like old SS2 back in 1999, but I’m hooked right now. I guess I’ve matured.
Chigurh

Post by Chigurh »

Did you end up dropping it?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Great ending swerve and great ending credits only to be out done by another ending before the real credit scroll. I’d A+ the game except for the fact it had all those puzzles some of which has time limits. Booo! Do Not Want!
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

axiom verge is both great and fucking horrible at the same time. im almost done though. i think
formerly ghost boner
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Chigurh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 pm
Did you end up dropping it?
Sort of. I haven't played in weeks, but actually I just came home today, looked at my PS4 and thought maybe I should fire it up again.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

ghost boner wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:20 am axiom verge is both great and fucking horrible at the same time. im almost done though. i think
I loved that game something fierce, but it did have seriously annoying shit going on - what's bothering you?

I kinda felt like it was the one game to finally, finally make good on the metroidvania promise. The dubstep gun was a great idea. I definitely got stuck too much and I wish I cared more about the story, but I couldn't. Remote drone probe was really novel but sometimes less than fun. I'm pretty sure the programmer had a much more detailed plot in his head but chopped it all to bits for brevity's sake.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

its just so fucking frustrating at times. too many areas that just get you killed in a second when your just trying to cross a fucking room to see whats in the next one. havent played in a few days. need to take a rest or ill smash everything
formerly ghost boner
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Got the Remastered Dark Souls on PC. Turns out this game can still grab me by the balls and drag me down the rabbit hole.

Now the next question is, can I resist the compulsion to also get the PS4 version and platinum it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Now I see why I didn’t care for System Shock 2 that much. The actual combat isn’t very good. These weapons have no feel to them and it’s impossible to dodge hit-scan enemies. Also, a ton of backtracking.

Since I have this powerful PC I decided to finally replay Half-Life 2 with the infamous FakeFactory Cinematic mod. Once I fiddled with the options to get it to look how I prefer I must say it is quite gorgeous.
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wormholegenerator wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:13 pm
I read that it is an online base building survival game. So, I have no interest in it.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Wormholegenerator wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:13 pm
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

That Half-Life 2 mod broke the AI about halfway through. So, that’s a goddamn bust. Deleted!

Been playing that Kingdom Come Deleverance. Not going to lie. I installed a quick save, and easy lock picking mod. With that as an asterisk, its real good. It combines some of the best things about Skyrim & Witcher 3. There are issues especially with combat being the biggest as I’m horrible at mastering the left joystick stance thing, but I’ve made due. Still, I’d rather deal with that lot in video game life than God of War’s puzzles. If you want a real fleashed out story and you can deal with starting the game as an incompatent, illiterate, poop smelling peasent and I recommend it. My GOTY as of now.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:drooly:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:lol:

i love that they just finally threw it out there at the end just so people would shut up about it. yes you idiots we did not forget about the elder scrolls games
Last edited by FVBTVS on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Everything I’ve seen thus far is 2019, dagumit all!!