The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Bill wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 pm
doomeddisciple wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm
I am not at all a racing car game fan, but given your points on cockpits etc, I wonder if Gran Turisimo is worth a lash.
I tried one of them. Maybe Dirt or the other one. I can't remember. I suck at and hate racing games. The VR didn't do anything to change this fact.

doomeddisciple wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm PS Worlds
Oh, I forgot about that. The Shark tank is the best thing, actually. Not a game, but an experience *FART*. It's cool as fuck. The London Heist was a bit long winded so I never finished it, but that seemed cool, as well. Street Luge is pretty stupid. The Alien Mech game seemed alright (again cockpits), but never finished that. I can't remember the last game. Handball or some such shit. But, yeah, the shark tank rules. I've watched it about 5 times.
Ha ha - I’m the same with cars, the last one I loved was Burnout Takedown where you get rewarded for taking out other cars.

Until Dawn has sick jump scares, Star Wars x wing was sick
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://kotaku.com/speedrunner-loses-hi ... 1820956922

speedrunners are all insane humans :lol: :brokenheart:
Part of what makes the granular nature of the his record breaking efforts so interesting though is everything that had to go into them. Most modern speedrunning use secondary timers to track their progress down to the thousandth of a second. That’s why when new records are set in something like Super Mario Bros. it can come down to minuscule differences. In addition, those speedrunners can check their progress against discrete benchmarks so they know earlier on if a run is on track to break a record or is sub-optimal.

But GoldenEye speedrunning grew out of the late 90s, VHS recording devices, and inconsistent CRT TV technology. As a result, that game’s community relies on the game’s internal clock. Whatever time shows up on the end of level report is the one speedrunners go by, and because it measures things in whole seconds, speedrunners attempting a level like Dam could be closer or farther away to breaking the all important 0:53 barrier and never know it. Regardless of whether they got an 0:531 or an 0:539, the time would show up the same. That’s why it’s extra dramatic when Jobst finally sees the report after having hopped down into the ravine at the end of Dam. Prior to that moment of truth, he had no idea how successful he’d be outside of a gut feeling that things had gone unusually smoothly.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:18 pm Burnout Takedown
My Man :fonz:

That game rules. I didn't care for the sequels, Revenge and Paradise. I should see if the PS2 emulator can run it. Why isn't there a working original XBOX emulator? Hmm.

Anyway, still playing The Creed Origins, not much more to report. I finally got to the arenas. They're okay. You have to fight through a mini horde mode each time you want to take on a boss type character. That's a bit annoying. Game freaks me out a little with it's size. Seems I keep finding new massive cities, Roman as of late. I'm pretty leveled up now, and I might be able to beat the main story soon. I'm thinking of doing that, then get one more 2017 game started, for shits and giggles. I can come back for the side quests when the new DLC releases as I bought the damn season pass. Metacritic puts Wolf 2 as the second highest rated of what I want to play next, so, there's nothing like a FPS to challenge for the GOTY throne. Although, I remember the PC version being reported as a buggy mess, and I haven't seen any Steam updates recently. Evil Within 2?

DOOM VR was frustrating as I had to fiddle with the options non-stop to get what I wanted the game to play like. I don't know. I didn't play it much, because I'm knee deep in AC:O, but it didn't leave me with a swell first impression. It wears DOOM's skin, but I'm not sure it's really DOOM. No idea why they didn't just port over the proper game instead making what feels like a mod. Am I the only one with vision, Bethesda? Oblivion, Morrowwind, Fallout 3, and DOOM 3 would all make great VR games and they should run easy on PSVR. Fuck! Doom 3 VR not only would save it from being so dumb, but would make for one heart attack inducing show.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Ordered the Nintendo Switch plus Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breathe of the Wild for the kids for Christmas. Going to need to free up a HDMI spot. Sorry, XBOX One, but you failed so miserably that my only solace is that I didn't pay for you. Yes, I'm keeping the Wii U and PS3 in play over the XB1.
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I may have no soul since I have never found Portal engaging nor amusing. The whole puzzle genre starting with Tetris, man. It's okay for a momentary distraction if I'm super bored, but then they end up boring me even more.

Speaking of boring, I'm happy to announce that with the exception of two pretty small "missions" anytime you exit the Animus in Assassins Creed O, you can just press the Skip button and sit back down into the machine and go right back to Egypt. I don't understand why Ubisoft thinks these parts of the AC games are of any interest. It was so boring and so horrible in Black Flag. And speaking of horrible... well maybe not horrible, but lame, AC:O continues the unfortunate trend of historical celebrity cameos and how thanks to YOU history turned out as it did. In fact, this isn't much different from the actual game:

Going to have to deduct a point, Ubisoft.
hyperviolence
Static Migration

Post by hyperviolence »

Bloodborne 2 :mastoman:
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Shhiiiiitt.... can't wait until tomorrow
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm Shhiiiiitt.... can't wait until tomorrow
What’s tomorrow?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Assassin's Creed Origins. Story kind of got lame there in the end. Plus, it started throwing in these forced naval battles. Completely shoehorned, and not of the quality that Black Flag was. Great game, and highly recommended, but GOTY is no longer guaranteed.

Started Wolfenstein II. Terrible screen tearing (PC) and sometimes the textures don't look that great (no idea if the game is always like that or if it's a PC bug). Game doesn't let me game, instead I'm stuck watching a domestic violence tale starring a cowboy and a Jewish lady. Zzzz! Do not want. Going to need that screen tearing patched, then I'll come back to it.

Evil Within 2 (played using the first person mode console command). I tried this in 3rd person. I tried this in 1st person. No goddamn contest. Fuck 3rd person. First is so much better and makes a good game down right amazing and scary. It's not open world, I'd say more like level based sandbox. It is so good, thus far. If it can keep up what it's doing and never do any of the things that were cons from the original, it's a GOTY candidate for sure.

I downloaded some random shit off Steam I must have bought for 3 cents each some years ago:

Rise of the Triad (remake): Wow, this is just a really bad game. From the feel, to the level layout, to the weapons. I love me some first person shooting, but this is terrible.

Unloved: It looks good, but then you start playing it. Randomly generated levels where you have to keep a button pressed down for 3 to 6 second just to pick up simple items like ammo. It would have been okay, if not for the enemies that I'm pretty sure just randomly spawn into the map every minute. And boy, is the AI dumb.

Zeno Clash 2: Wacky looking characters and level design can't save this first person melee game from being so damn boring. Riddick this is not.

Postal 2: I played this over 13 years ago, and the developers are wacky enough to keep adding content and make sure the game runs on modern PCs. Even added perfect XBOX 1 controller support. Game is perhaps the greatest so bad it's good game that is perfectly playable. Weapons have good weight to them, something better games are inferior at. Anyways, I like pissing in peoples' mouths and making them puke before I decapitate them with a shovel then kick their heads down the street.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

The Bill wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm Shhiiiiitt.... can't wait until tomorrow
What’s tomorrow?
I thought From was going to do a full reveal of their new game :(
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 am
The Bill wrote:
What’s tomorrow?
I thought From was going to do a full reveal of their new game :(
Oh, from that awards show. Of what I saw, there wasn't a lot of trailers or announcements. Maybe E3 and MTV are shelling out some doe to make their shows the "must be video game show".
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

BTW, in case the two people left here who care haven't heard, they're shutting down the Demon's Souls servers on Feb 28th - for real this time, it seems.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 pm BTW, in case the two people left here who care haven't heard, they're shutting down the Demon's Souls servers on Feb 28th - for real this time, it seems.
Maybe I’ll give it one last play through this summer before it happens
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

doomeddisciple wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm this summer
I hate you.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 am
I hate you.
A balmy 34 today (93)
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

doomeddisciple wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 am
spacehamster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 am
I hate you.
A balmy 34 today (93)
SERIOUSLY, MAN.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Atlus published Demon's Souls, huh? I guess no PC port ever then. Will wait 10 years for PS3 emulation (I'll be 50 :oops: ). Speaking of the PS3, I still have it hooked up because I have two more games for it I want to play before I retire the thing. For the life of me I can't remember what. Condemned 2 is one, that's right. The other? Maybe it was Demon's Souls. Hmm? I can handle old shitty graphics for a 2D game or a FPS, but 3rd person polygonal graphics turns my stomach. I can't even sniff a Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time with out it being emulated to a higher resolution or some sort of filter on it. I remember the XBOX version of Dark Souls 2 after getting the PS4 and I almost fell down right into the center of the earth by the sudden shock of how putrid it now seemed to me. Third person graphics snob, at your service.

I've noticed it for awhile, but I think it's official that my kids are obsessed with Kirby. They want every game he's starred in, they've watched the cartoon over and over, and they have a bunch of the plush stuffed animal toys and want even more for Christmas. I'm sure the reason they wanted a Switch so badly was because they know a new Kirby game is coming out for it. Of all the cartoon and video game characters in the world, it's fucking Kirby. I don't know what to think about that. You know, Kirby is kind of messed up. He's the movie Ravenous of the Nintendo Universe.

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If you get your head out of your ass and you want to co-op through Demons Souls, let me know. I have the US version and 3 weeks of vacation coming up.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 am If you get your head out of your ass and you want to co-op through Demons Souls, let me know. I have the US version and 3 weeks of vacation coming up.
Thanks for the offer but I have too much other stuff I'd rather play now. Not helping things is the fact that Resident Evil 7's VR DLC just dropped on top of everything else. And to be completely honest every "Souls Like" game (including the Dark Souls' sequels) I've played since the original Dark Souls has made me less and less fond of the gimmick.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

One of my top 5 WORST games of the year goes ahead and makes me highly interested. Available in solo play.

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Evil Within 2 is very good, dudes. Very very good. As I've written, I play it in first person mode and it makes a HUGE difference. I'm telling you the Resident Evil 7 limited ammo first person mixed with these (not open world) sand box levels are gold, Jerry. GOLD! Makes me highly excited for the new Metro. I guess it's sort of like The Last of Us, but personally I think it takes a big dump on Sony's game. And, man, I love me some "Evil Artist" levels. Like Sander Cohen's stuff from Bioshock. Fantastic. I actually like some of the artist's work. I'd hang it in my Video Game Den of Excellence.

I'm still juggling my GOTY choice. Weird that Assassins Creed keeps losing more favor in my mind. I think there was just too much of the game, and it was too much the same all the time. Plus I really think the story shot itself in the foot at the end with the historical cameos and how it just rushed itself after such a slow burn the first 3/4 of the game was. I've also been reminiscing about Resident Evil 7 and Neir Automata. A suppose one week isn't enough time for Zelda to make a GOTY impact on me, hmm?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

do i need to have played the first one? its cheap as hell on xbox right now
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 am do i need to have played the first one? its cheap as hell on xbox right now
You kind of do, unless Youtube overviews satisfy you. Be warned! The original is mostly good, but has severe tonal shifts in the game play. Like it doesn't know if it wants to be Last of Us, Resident Evil 4, or one of those games where you run and hide like a bitch because you can't do offense (Outlast?). The overall story makes senses but the level to level stuff is utter disjointed madness. Finally, it's a tad too long, but I am glad I played it. Pro tip: Invest all your eggs in stamina and pistol, then worry about everything else after.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild are both top notch gold standard games. I won't have time to play either enough to fairly judge in my final GOTY thoughts, yet I have no doubt had I played these things months ago they would be some where in my top 3. Also, Switch version of Zelda cleans up the graphical and frame rate problems that had made me put off the Wii U version.

The 2 DLC stories for RE7 are simple yet great... for VR games. One of them involves just face punching monsters. In fact, you body slam one during a boss fight. I actually fired up the PC version, to check them out that way, and they're still good, but, you know. Thing I'm noticing is PC version is almost photo realistic with it's graphics, but you feel like your missing a sixth sense when playing on the TV. Yet, in VR, I constantly wish the graphics could be cleaned up some, as jaggies being the largest culprit to breaking immersion. If only the two worlds could meet.

Evil Within 2 continues. I took a big chunk out of it Friday, but I can't remember what chapter I left off on. I must be getting there, though. Bethesda publishes EWI. Bethesda also just released like 3 massive VR titles this month. Get on it!