The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Wang Mandu »

Metro 2033: Exodus is going to rule. Everything else looked boring. No Bloodborne 2 :nopizza: .
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

man that Sony conference kinda sucked... started off with trailers for DLC everyone already knew about? come on.

is GoW officially over-the-shoulder, no static/preset cameras? i think i'm gonna miss that :(
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I thought GoW's style of hiding things with the camera angle and Kratos rampaging through a series of setpieces suited it. I don't need another free-floating camera game.

Curious to see the tits on PS4 though 🤔
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm man that Sony conference kinda sucked... started off with trailers for DLC everyone already knew about? come on.

is GoW officially over-the-shoulder, no static/preset cameras? i think i'm gonna miss that :(
But Shadow of the Colossus. You can buy it for a third time, lol. Where the hell is the Demon's Souls remaster? :tdown: The Detroit game is a cool premise but David Cage...shoots for the moon and falls well short of it.

I liked the look of the camera there. Reminds me of For Honor and the melee combat in that game feels savage and nasty. God of War needs that feel.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:00 pm I thought GoW's style of hiding things with the camera angle and Kratos rampaging through a series of setpieces suited it.
I realized when I played Ascension that I'm kinda over it, and not just because that game didn't execute it particularly well. I think I've just played these games too much and I'm tired of everything about them. Kinda like the way I haven't even touched the last Dark Souls 3 DLC yet.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I didn't follow E3 at all. All I know is that Madden is getting a single player story mode that looks like the sort of shit that would make me hate jocks. Just saw today, though, that Switch is getting a new proper Kirby and Metriod Prime 4. I didn't want to ever get the Switch but now...

Beat Resistance 3. Thumbs up! Started Bad Company 2. Um, it's good, but not like Resistance good. These regenerating health FPS just play different enough that it's really not the same thing. I'm not saying they aren't challenging, because you certainly get the shit shot out of you. I think there's an art to dodging in games like DOOM, Resistance, Unreal, or even Halo, and these machine gun only games lack that. Quite frankly, I think it's time to admit that they're kind of boring, despite all the scripted insanity happening on screen.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am I didn't follow E3 at all.
I watched the Wolfenstein trailer and I'll probably watch the God of War trailer, and that's it. I can't really care about any of this shit anymore. They always announce games that aren't coming out for another year anyway. Between that and my backlog, it's just... meh.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 am
The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am I didn't follow E3 at all.
I watched the Wolfenstein trailer and I'll probably watch the God of War trailer, and that's it. I can't really care about any of this shit anymore. They always announce games that aren't coming out for another year anyway. Between that and my backlog, it's just... meh.
Watched the Wolfenstein one today. Well, I was probably going to get it regardless, but that seals the deal. Need to see GOW.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm
Watched the Wolfenstein one today. Well, I was probably going to get it regardless, but that seals the deal.
It seems to be a bit more lighthearted and funny than The New Order, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'll definitely play it, but one of the things I really loved about TNO was how it took itself seriously in a trashy action movie kind of way, and I hope they're not pulling a "self-aware" comedy turn.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I kind of want to get the new Wolfenstein and Assassin's Creed just to spite all those inbred racist dipshits like Meatgrease in the gaming community.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I like that GOW over the shoulder style. Reminds me of Rune. I was never a fan of the old fixed camera combo heavy older ones.

I just don't want to play a "modern warfare" shooter now. I think Metro 2XXX Redux is what I should play. First person, monsters, cold environments to mock the summer weather... I know a girl named Summer. The game can mock her as well. I did try this game once before. I had the PS4 version, but stopped it and sold it back once it was super cheap on Steam. Again, I'm not sure why I stopped.

Or maybe I'll try this other FPS game I shan't name just yet, because I was a little drunk when I bought but it made sense to me at the time. The critics have absolutely shit on it, but that was a pre-patched version. Do I dare?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

mario odyssey looks fucking incredible :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm mario odyssey looks fucking incredible :lol:
So does Yoshi... so does Kirby. Goddamnit!
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Caught up with a bunch of E3 demos and podcasts over the weekend. Monster Hunter World looks amazing. I've always wanted to try one of those games because the combat gets praised all the time but I'm never going to buy a handheld. Lots of crafting gear, cuttable tails and the boss fight looked really varied and like an epic fight. Day 1 for that.

Some of the stuff they're talking about in Days Gone, if it works sounds awesome too. Lots of dynamic events triggering from just one sound, different ways to do missions, brutal violence, and weather plays a huge role. One thing I love most is your character is in it for himself and is mean and violent unlike that sad sack Joel from TLOU. I hope they really up the survival mechanics. In one interview, the devs said that is your only bike, you have to take care of it and you can't magically summon it. Lots of this stuff will probably get scaled back but oh man if they can get it done, that game is going to be something.

Lastly, not one but two Yakuza games coming out Yakuza: Kiwami and Yakuza 6. It's crazy that fans thought 3 had no chance in hell of being released in the West and now these will mark 6 mainline Yazuza games getting localized. I'm still in the middle of 3 :lol:. I need to hunker down and plow through that one soon....but I've been saying that for years.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Messy Friday. I forgot to eat dinner so the wine hit me too hard too fast:

Was going to play Metro 2033 Redux, but then I got all crazy about needing mask filters so I activated a trainer and gave myself unlimited bullets/money by accident and it was a huge disaster and I broke the game. Will restart later down the line.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. Actually a beautiful game. Maybe a contender for best graphics of 2017 (4K + Ultra). Story is Tom Clancy nonsense, but less jar-head than an actual Tom Clancy game. I dig it.

Everspace. I was so out of it when I tried it I could not get past the tutorial. But I haven't played a space ship game (not counting horse shit No Man's Sky) since the Tie-fighter days.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'm already to pull the trigger on the PS4 VR, especially now that I could play Skyrim, Doom, and Fallout with it, but...

But..

I just would love to hear from someone I know somehow, how the whole experience is. It's that missing X factor that holds me back. I don't give a shit about some nerd-off's opinion on YouTube is, goddammit!
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

I tried PSVR at a friends; he had RE7 and then a bunch of mini games that I can't remember very well. I had no other experience with VR, so my expectations may have been a little bit too high, but the image quality wasn't as good as I hoped. I still felt immersed, but I wonder if I'd be more distracted by the image quality once the initial overwhelming feeling wore off.

I'd already played RE7 by that point so I knew what was going to happen, but it was still really intense. Unfortunately part of the intensity was that VR made me feel like fucking GARBAGE. I felt like I was going to puke for about an hour after playing for 20 minutes. I don't know if that wears off over time as you get more used to it, but it was bad enough to make put off getting VR for the foreseeable future :( I also get really nauseous/queasy when I go on amusement park rides and stuff like that, so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it. either way I'd definitely recommend trying it out before you buy it; that kind of reaction doesn't seem uncommon.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am I tried PSVR at a friends; he had RE7 and then a bunch of mini games that I can't remember very well. I had no other experience with VR, so my expectations may have been a little bit too high, but the image quality wasn't as good as I hoped. I still felt immersed, but I wonder if I'd be more distracted by the image quality once the initial overwhelming feeling wore off.

I'd already played RE7 by that point so I knew what was going to happen, but it was still really intense. Unfortunately part of the intensity was that VR made me feel like fucking GARBAGE. I felt like I was going to puke for about an hour after playing for 20 minutes. I don't know if that wears off over time as you get more used to it, but it was bad enough to make put off getting VR for the foreseeable future :( I also get really nauseous/queasy when I go on amusement park rides and stuff like that, so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it. either way I'd definitely recommend trying it out before you buy it; that kind of reaction doesn't seem uncommon.
I think I can deal with the image quality drop as a trade off to being "in" the game, but I'm not a big roller coaster fan, either. I actually did a few tamer ones for the first time ever in Disney World last summer. If it's no worse that the fucking Seven Dwarves I'll be fine. I can tell you that sometimes when I fall off high cliffs in FPS I get the beginning of nausea. Also, the disaster that was upside-down flying when I tried Dark Void* (I had drank a lot of red wine). I imagine between motion sickness and having that thing strapped to my head it would be a beer/wine drinking logistical nightmare, but maybe that's a good thing.

* https://www.destructoid.com/dark-void-p ... 1928.phtml
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Stopped Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. It was actually pretty good, but it was good in a one trick pony way. And I rode that pony enough for the year. I thought that it being a sort of stripped down Far Cry I'd enjoy just doing the core of what I like best. Turns out all that extra horseshit Far Cry has makes the main coarse all the better. Of course, dealing with yet another open world game didn't do anyone any favors.

And so, the Summer of FPS must move on. Downloaded a bunch of them off Steam that I must have bought dirt cheap from sales through out the years. I've also decided to stop being half a fag and get back to using mouse/keyboard. Tried it out real quick, and god damn I'm still good at it. I'll let my kids pick my next game.

PS4 VR arrived today, as well. I only have RE7, but I'm rolling the dice on this one big time.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Look forward to your thoughts on the VR bill
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 am Look forward to your thoughts on the VR bill
I'll give you the full skinny tomorrow, but it's a thumbs up from me.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I posted some pics of my kids wearing the PlayStation 4 VR headset on Facebook so my friend asked about it. Sorry, to give you guys sloppy seconds but I'll just post what I wrote to him, then add some:

It's amazing but hard to explain. It isn't just being surrounded by a panoramic image, it's actually immersive. I've only tried Resident Evil 7 & the mini games it come with. RE7 takes a graphics hit vs "2-D" but it really feels like you're inside the game. Didn't get far but the game has a wife character & it's like she's really there with you. The mini games are fantastic outside of them just being mini games. They show that VR is great for non-first person as well. It took some time to get the thing positioned right and it does mess with your head after awhile. It's a real deal experience unlike 3-D glasses, though. If you can try it out to make sure it doesn't make you motion sick or headache inducing, I'd recommend that first. For me, it's a winner and might even get the PC counterpart one day, but their present models require too much equipment. Sony's version (although it has many wires) is way less cumbersome and the games let you use the Dual Shock controller instead of stupid motion sensor ones. I hate those Wii style controls. This is the most I've ever written about something on Facebook so it's a thumb up from me, I guess.

*Friend's Name*, the games where you're in the cockpit of a space fighter or tank are the best! I just tried the free VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront & while short, was the best video game experience I've had since I can remember. Star Wars fanboy filter on this opinion, of course.

I went a little crazy and bought a bunch of stuff off the PS Store. Luckily, Sony is having a huge sale. I've tried 5 different games where you're in a cockpit of a vehicle and it really is just the best. Too bad they're all short (but, free) or lack any real "Full Game Experience". I think Battlezone is the closest to a full proper modern campaign, but even that just feels like I was transported inside an SNES game. This has made me want to try one of the race car games, and I never, ever do race car games. A Robotech game would rule the Earth.

First Person Shooters are interesting. It's perfectly playable but turning can give me an almost uncomfortable feeling. To get around this, they offer this Pie chart, or minute hand style of clunky turning. I hate that, and just prefer to deal with the feeling and be able to spin around in a more realistic manner. Maybe I'll become completely immune to it one day. FPS seems to be in two camps as to handle aiming. One is using the controller as the gun, and moving it around in the screen. You know, like a Wii game, or an arcade light gun game. While completely abhorrent to me normally, it works very well once you're inside the game. There's great flexibility within the 3D environment. London Heist is a great example of how to do it well. The other side of the coin is using your head to aim. HOT FUCKING DOG! This is amazing. Better than mouse/KB, better than controller with auto aim. It's so smooth and intuitive. I loves it. I got a boner when I found out RE7 controls like this. Some of the space fighting games have this feature as a secondary missile lock-on. So good!

Then there are games where you're steered down a predetermined path, like REZ and Thumper. These don't take full advantage of what VR can do as you're forced to look on one direction and having your eyes wander off probably means death. The movement around the peripherals are nice, and does create the feeling of going down a tunnel. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is the better on-rails shooter experience. It's really really cool, and I'd have an affair with it if I could. VR needs more roller-coaster things.

My biggest complaint is that it does fuck with me. I get a minor headache when I take the headset off, and feel a little off for a while. Tell you what, I have zero desire for booze after wearing it. Also, it sometimes pinches my nose by shoving my glasses into my face. This doesn't always happen and I'm not sure why. Another issue, with the limited games (and of those games they are limited in terms of content and length) the VR isn't replacing regular old human eyes and a TV screen gaming anytime soon. I'd dare say it is still a novelty act, though the best damn video game novelty act ever. It needs more full length games. I don't care if they just re-release PS3 games in VR, I'd get them. I fear that it might fall into the iOS causal gaming trap, but the day is still young. I will tell you this, Skyrim VR is coming and it's the real full game with DLC. Skyrim, in 2017, is now my most anticipated title.

:beer:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

So, there's a Dead or Alive volleyball VR... huh!... I mean, you know... huh.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

And so our hero, The Bill, did drink of the wine at a function. Afterwards, I went home and tried the VR with much trepidation. What's this? Don't only didn't I get sick or a headache, but that sort of distortion I felt from turning went away. Uh Oh! Then I spent too much money buying this and that from the PS Store. I discovered theater mode, which is using the headset to play non-VR games. Very interesting. It's like being at a movie theater with a huge screen, and for what ever reason everything is almost 3-D. I bought the PS4 versions of DOOM and Witcher 3 because I was digging the effect. Graphics are taking a big hit, unfortunately, especially since I've played those game on the PC with the 4K and Ultra settings. So, I can do movie theater in semi 3D vs 4K sharpness, but looking at a TV. Oh, I looked down as I jumped off a cliff with DOOM wearing the headset and I got the big stomach churn/butterflies thing. God damn! As for real VR, RE7 scared the shit out of me. Fuck! I yelled out loud. Being able to use your head to peak around corners is so good. I love this stupid thing.

The kids picked Red Faction as the next Summer of FPS to play. I've obviously been paying more attention to the VR, but it's a game I'd label an unappreciated classic. I'm also willing to label it as a Half-Life 1 knock-off.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Totally addicted to Diablo 3 right now. The game has really changed a lot since I played at launch. The new Necromancer class is awesome and his dialogue is so dry and amazing.