The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by spacehamster »

In other news, I'm playing the MW2 remake because I NEVER PLAYED THE ORIGINAL BECAUSE THE PC VERSION DIDN'T HAVE CONTROLLER SUPPORT DO YOU HEAR ME LEON.

I kinda felt like I needed to play the game that's to blame for everything that's been wrong with shooters in the last 10 years, I guess. So far it's pretty fun if what you're looking for is basically Brown People Murdering Simulator.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

The Bill wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:04 pm
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 am I am in the process of learning how to make my own NES games. I have a working proof of concept. I am very happy. Soon a tiny reee game is quite likely. Will probably make a dedicated thread.

I am setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever
I want 8-bit blood and boobs and bloody boobs. Then sell the rights to LJN.
:lol: we'll see how much i can get done. I have so many ideas that I'm almost sad, knowing I'll never have time to try them all.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 pm In other news, I'm playing the MW2 remake because I NEVER PLAYED THE ORIGINAL BECAUSE THE PC VERSION DIDN'T HAVE CONTROLLER SUPPORT DO YOU HEAR ME LEON.
You play shooters on PC with a controller. LoL
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

The Bill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:45 pm
doomeddisciple wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:54 pm I am playing Control - is it just me or is it pretty painful to navigate around once you're a few levels in?
I'm waiting for a future PC before I play that. I want to see the RTX graphics. I never played the game those guys made before it, either. The one after Alan Wake. I think it has real life cutscene footage or some such.

Beat both Bats Origins and City. I may redo Red Dead 2 next.
The one with the "TV Episodes" cutscenes was Quantum Break. I really liked that game, as a shooter was a bit generic, but the powers were cool. And I think the TV episodes were cool enough, not just a gimmick. But what made this game awesome was the story, pretty solid Sci-fi.

Alan Wake is the previous previous game, it is more supernatural with some sort of zombies or infected people or whatever. I wasted lots of time in that game because it took me a while to realize you are not supposed to fight the enemies all the time. But I didn't really like the game and never finished it. Luckily I bought it mega cheap.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Moonman!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:08 am
spacehamster wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 pm In other news, I'm playing the MW2 remake because I NEVER PLAYED THE ORIGINAL BECAUSE THE PC VERSION DIDN'T HAVE CONTROLLER SUPPORT DO YOU HEAR ME LEON.
I love that this is so offensive that it brought you out of lurking.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

what the hell is the problem w playing an fps single player campaign on a controller

who gives a fuck

thats not even how you pc master race :betternotstartanyshit:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

a lot of these stupid fuckin pc games default to xbox controllers anyway

I'm still rocking a Logitech wireless rumblepad from 2005, and it's increasingly hit-or-miss if a new game will even support non-bluetooth gear like that. A few times I've been unable to even navigate the menus to change the settings because I exist outside the console controller industrial complex.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 am what the hell is the problem w playing an fps single player campaign on a controller
Exactly. Obviously I'm not about to play competitively like that and then wonder why everyone else's aim is better than mine. I just have this impossibly weird thing where I like to have my ass on the couch when I'm playing videogames. I'm really strange.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

On the moon we only use virtual onscreen keyboards huh huh ha haa
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i'm better with a controller than a lot of people apparently are with mouse and keyboard so i'm not really sure what that says. obviously i couldn't keep up with pros or anything but jumping in with randos? it's totally fine
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Krieg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:08 am
haha Krieg du alter Depp, was geht
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

copstache wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:14 pm i'm better with a controller than a lot of people apparently are with mouse and keyboard so i'm not really sure what that says. obviously i couldn't keep up with pros or anything but jumping in with randos? it's totally fine
I've just always hated playing videogames with a keyboard and mouse and that's that. When the Playstation version of Doom came out, the #1 selling point for me was that I could finally play Doom with a controller. And I don't really give two shits about playing shooters competitively anyway. I think there's been a grand total of three of them in my whole life that I played for more than ten seconds (Killzone 3, Overwatch and Crysis 2).
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

These modern shooters where you have all these extra abilities (like Crysis, Doom Eternal, Rage 2...) I definitely need a controller. Too many damn keyboard buttons all over the place. But the older ones, let’s say pre-iron sights, I love the k/m for. Halo is quite nice now that it has that for PC.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Thanks to the recent antics of Spacehampster, I’ve decided to combine all his “stuff” into the only intelligent solution. So, now replaying Spec Ops: The Line on PC with a Xbox controller.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

copstache wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:14 pm i'm better with a controller than a lot of people apparently are with mouse and keyboard so i'm not really sure what that says. obviously i couldn't keep up with pros or anything but jumping in with randos? it's totally fine
That's because of the massive auto aim you get when you use a pussy controller. I bet you drive an automatic car.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

The Bill wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 pm Thanks to the recent antics of Spacehampster, I've decided to combine all his "stuff" into the only intelligent solution. So, now replaying Spec Ops: The Line on PC with a Xbox controller.
That's one of my favorite games ever. I wish I could play it again without knowing anything about it. I don't care about its clunkiness.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spec Ops was so good, yet so short. Only 5 hours and done.

Started Rage 2 and I’m shocked, I say. Shocked! This is a damn fine game so far. Take Mad Max, Far Cry, DOOM (2016) and I guess Rage 1, mix those sons of bitches together and shove it up your ass in a good way. Better than the Far Cry, Destiny, and Borderland series. Are there any other open world/sandbox proper FPSers I’m missing? GTA 5 and RDR2 don’t count. Fallout isn’t a proper FPSer, either.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Rage 2 was another game that I lost interest in after two hours. I'm now slogging through the MW2 campaign, but it feels like having to read a book for school. It's just... boring, and half the time I can't tell friendlies from ze Russians and I'm just sort of guessing what the game wants me to do and shooting at whatever. They did do a hell of a job with the remaster, though, it looks really pretty.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i did the modern warfare 1 remaster on veteran semi recently and i was amazed at how clueless i felt a good percentage of the time. the games expectations, the voice over, the levels - if i hadn't have played it before back in 07 i would have been utterly lost

and the same thing happened on the new campaign, im just like "what where i gotta go, ow! damn, oh i guess there was a guy there all a sudden huh" its just a mess
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Yeah! That's a really strange feeling. I replayed Goldeneye for a little bit recently, and I kept getting lost because there are mandatory mission objectives unless you're playing on baby mode. They're listed in your dumb little watch, and they're not terribly descriptive - I guess I got annoyed that the game didn't automatically ferry me directly towards them. It was kind of incredible, like I didn't remember that component of the game, and I was suprised that I was more willing to engage with it at age 12 than nowadays.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah i tried doing a perfect dark playthrough and i wasnt prepared for all the things that can go wrong with your objectives on the higher difficulties and i remember it playing very differentky :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

The Bill wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 am Spec Ops was so good, yet so short. Only 5 hours and done.

Started Rage 2 and I'm shocked, I say. Shocked! This is a damn fine game so far. Take Mad Max, Far Cry, DOOM (2016) and I guess Rage 1, mix those sons of bitches together and shove it up your ass in a good way. Better than the Far Cry, Destiny, and Borderland series. Are there any other open world/sandbox proper FPSers I'm missing? GTA 5 and RDR2 don't count. Fallout isn't a proper FPSer, either.
The Watch Dogs series? It is third person, but it is very GTA-ish and has plenty of interesting things to do. The hacking shit is not for everyone though. I think Ubisoft gave Watch Dogs 1 for free this week.

In the other hand, I played MW Warzone a bit in the past weeks until the last update which removed the "Rumble", it was 50v50 with instant respawn, it was tons of fun. Now that teams/squads/whatever crap is not for me, I hate to wait for 10 minutes until finally the game starts and in 20 seconds some asshole sniper kills you out of the nowhere. Then you get sent to the crappy "Gulag" where you do a 1v1 last chance, which is pretty difficult to pass with all those kids been mega good nowadays.

I am playing now Wolfenstein New Order and damn, that game is hard. Or better, it is all OK and suddenly there is a spike in the difficulty making you think you are already in the final boss battle, but nope, all goes back to normal after that. And I can't really find a strategy that works, covering is not that good, running around is no good either, bloody normal enemies need like 10 hits to die, but they can kill you pretty fast. The story is pretty solid until now, that's what keeps me engaged.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:20 am i did the modern warfare 1 remaster on veteran semi recently and i was amazed at how clueless i felt a good percentage of the time. the games expectations, the voice over, the levels - if i hadn't have played it before back in 07 i would have been utterly lost

and the same thing happened on the new campaign, im just like "what where i gotta go, ow! damn, oh i guess there was a guy there all a sudden huh" its just a mess
I've always said Killzone 2 is basically my favorite shooter of all time, but the last time I played it, despite the fact that it's one of those games where I've done autism number of playthroughs, I actually kinda felt the same way. There's several spots where the game has infinite enemy spawns and what it actually wants you to do is push past them, but the situation looks like it would make a lot more sense to try and kill everyone first, stuff like that.

What's weird is these games aren't even that old, and I haven't played a lot of stuff in the last few years, but I still get that feeling that they're dated, and more recent games are just better at letting me know what I'm supposed to be doing. I dunno.

The other thing with MW2 is that the setpieces have this sense about them like they're supposed to make you excited, but because you don't understand what's going on gameplay wise, you don't really care. And the story doesn't help either - having you play as three different guys is basically the worst idea ever. Hey wow, the US just got invaded by Russia, but, uh, actually, let's go shoot some spics in a Brazilian favela again. What? I guess the whole White House thing was kind of cool, and the graphics in the remaster really sell the atmosphere, but other than that, meh.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

2 hours of Ghost of Tsushima & y’know Grand Theft Sekiro but easier? I am playing on hard but there’s no penalty for dying that I can tell. It’s pretty, there’s options to play English, Japanese with subtitles or Kurosawa in black and white with a border and Jap/subtitles.

Settling in.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath