The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

Evil Within is working again, sometimes. I keep having to check and uncheck an option under the .exe files compatibility mode that has to do with a dpi whatnot. Always something with Japanese games.

Kids have been playing Cuphead. Bless their little hearts, they can't move past the first level. I've barley touched it myself, but I did beat the first level and first boss. Game is a pain in the ass. Too much clutter and shit flying at you at one time atop a super busy background. Game looks incredible, but it would have been better off as a Mario type platform-er vs Contra shooter.
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 am Image
That reminds me of the time I returned from living in Boston and started to get back into PC gaming. The stores would always have that, 7th Guest, and Phantasmagoria. I never played them, but would always eye the back of the boxes with interest and forbidden desire. I figured they were point n' click, so I never bought them. I was much too obsessed with playing all the first person shooters I had missed during my 5 years abroad. Not sure I could try them at this point. I attempted the Monkey Island remaster and found I just don't have the patience I had back in '93 for that genre.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

cuphead looks so radd i might just buy it and i hate buying things i have to dl due to the worlds shittiest internet. also i 'beat' falllout 4 again this time with the brotherhood instead of the institute and it is much, much cooler. fucking liberty prime ruled so much harder this way
formerly ghost boner
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

also, i love run on sentences
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm also, i love run on sentences
Well, if you also love “run n’ gun” get Cuphead. Fair warning, it’s hard.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I got Shadow of War and the graphics look kinda plasticiney compared to Shadow of Mordor. There’s a bit more to it than the last one but combat still pretty buttery and rad.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 pm I got Shadow of War and the graphics look kinda plasticiney compared to Shadow of Mordor. There’s a bit more to it than the last one but combat still pretty buttery and rad.
I broke down and bought it yesterday (Steam). I had issue with the graphics but then fiddled with the gamma, and that seemed to fix things. PC version has a "large page file" option you can only use if you have administrative access. :| I had to set the game to always start as an admin manually through the install directory. Why? Why is this happening? Why did a Prey update remove controller options so I had to manually edit some other shit for that? I'm fearing the gradual retardation of the modern world is seeping into my precious video games. Also, I see I just used the word precious in the same paragraph that talks about a Lord of the Rings game in an unironic or referential way. Coincidence is a hell of a drug, man.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trying to power through Shadow of Mordor because I want to play Shadow of War as soon as I'm done with that. The orc stories I've been reading are hilarious and sound like so much fun.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Lol! I had the White dude from the second video last night. I had a very camp chief on the weekend who doubled the entendres about what he was gonna do to me when he beat me. There were a bunch of good ones - heaps of good voice acting in this one and now the domination stuff has a bit more depth it’s getting fun.

Playing on hardest difficulty to stretch it out. It’s not heaps hard.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Evil Within just sort of randomly nose dives into action game country, huh? I guess it's its Resident Evil 4 roots. With the very limited ammo system it's not very fun... so I activated the infinite ammo cheat and the game is great. Sure, I've just turned Return of the Living Dead into Army of Darkness, but who cares. It's the old Mad Max scenario all over aging. Turning an okay game great by making it more video gamey.

Random thought, I've never played the Hexen or Heretic games.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

doomeddisciple wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 am Lol! I had the White dude from the second video last night. I had a very camp chief on the weekend who doubled the entendres about what he was gonna do to me when he beat me. There were a bunch of good ones - heaps of good voice acting in this one and now the domination stuff has a bit more depth it’s getting fun.

Playing on hardest difficulty to stretch it out. It’s not heaps hard.
I'm definitely going with Nemesis difficulty. I just finished up Shadow of Mordor and the real difficulty in that was sitting through the godawful cutscenes and loading screens. Fun game but the last boss being stupidly easy stealth sections + quick time events is retarded. What were they thinking. I'm firing up Shadow of War next and am pretty much going to ignore the entire story because I've heard it's shit as well, :lol: . How do you write such bad and uninteresting stories in an incredibly deep and rich world? They probably should have made the sequel a pure orc fighting, army recruiting sandbox and nothing more. Loot, kill, orcs, basebuilding strategy style action game instead of shoehorning in a cinematic dull story.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I'm less than two hours into Shadow of War and there's already a couple orcs I can't wait to kill. :lol: "Smells like manfilth!" Much smoother than Mordor and the traversal mechanics are a hell of a lot more fun. You can really cover a lot of ground quickly compared to the previous game. I know a lot of people hate loot boxes but I love loot, I love opening a box to get some loot and I love collecting loot. I'm glad that I'll be swimming in game currency while I play and that makes the microtransactions perfectly acceptable to me.

It's kind of funny all these youtubers, game sites and fans are all up in arms about loot boxes now. Where the fuck were they the last 5 years when these started appearing in a lot of other games? Always have to be whining about something in games. I also can't stand streamers who get loads of free games, gear, and other things who get on a soapbox and try to tell people what's right and what's wrong. They're essentially paid marketing shills so they need to just keep begging for tips on Twitch and shut the hell up.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i dont know if i mind loot boxes per se but the inevitable loot boxification slot machine future were hurtling toward is really sad and boring..

i remember how sad i was when i first started playing tetris blitz on my old phone and began realizing what an absolute pay to win fucking sham it was at its heart.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Activision put a patent out for a matchnaking system designed to sell lootboxes :lol:.

Man, the first 10 hours of Shadow of War is a slog but once you start recruiting an orc army the game is top tier. They shouldnhave made te entire game that instead of boring cutscenes and a worthless story. Shaming an orc until it breaks his mind is hilarious and awful at the same time.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://kotaku.com/activision-patents-m ... 1819630937

Activision Patents Matchmaking That Encourages Players To Buy Microtransactions
“This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game.”
“For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective,” the text of the patent reads. “This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.”
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 am https://kotaku.com/activision-patents-m ... 1819630937

Activision Patents Matchmaking That Encourages Players To Buy Microtransactions
“This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game.”
“For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective,” the text of the patent reads. “This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.”
I don't play the multiplayer games, so I don't know anything about it, but can someone who has a DLC weapon play in the same game/server/whatever as some one that does not have the DLC weapon?

We've had some new-age/hippie/holistic person house guest my wife knows since Saturday so no games for your hero this week. She's staying in The Bill's Video Game Sanctum of Evil ™. Not a big deal concerning Friday Night, since my own friend from out of town is visiting and I'll go see him tonight. Of big concern, though, is I found out that Evil Within 2 has a first person console cheat. Is it proper first person, so I have another RE7 on my hands. Is it horseshit like those FPS PC mods for games like Saints Row 2 or Max Payne? I'm going to have to find out first hand.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 am

I don't play the multiplayer games, so I don't know anything about it, but can someone who has a DLC weapon play in the same game/server/whatever as some one that does not have the DLC weapon?
Yes
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 am
The Bill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 am

Yes
Damn, that is some money grubbing. No wonder the Call of Duties and its ilk have all those gradually released multiplayer only DLC through out the year. It's like the present day WWE. Money isn't in the TV ratings or attendance anymore, but the merchandising and miscellaneous sales.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Assassin's Creed Origins looks pretty good. The combat actually looks fun this time around and Egypt is an awesome setting. To pre-order or not? :confused:
Rev. Christberg
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by Rev. Christberg »

Divinity:Original Sin 2 is basically undistilled D&D in videogame form, including silly stuff like being able to flirt with and attempt to hump everyone, frequently with hilarious results. It's got some just absolutely absurd sandbox stuff in it that makes no sense but is still cool in a dumb way.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The Bill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 am Of big concern, though, is I found out that Evil Within 2 has a first person console cheat.

Hmm? I'll do it!

New Wolf this Friday, but I never played the Old Blood.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Got to Stage 4 or 5 in Act IV of Shadow of War and needed a break so I picked up Wolfenstein 2, The Evil Within 2 (need to finish both of the first games before I start them) and Assassin's Creed Origins all for nearly half off. Cheap PC keys are the best.

AC:O is pretty great so far. Egypt is gorgeous and the combat is actually fun this time around. Kind of Dark Souls like combat without any stamina management and the executions are visceral. I wish there was limb removal haha. The side quests are better than in previous games but still the writing is a bit too average. The world is interesting enough so I can forgive some mediocre writing. I like the main character a lot...clear goals and motivations and not a snot nosed punk in his early 20s but a man. They cribbed a feature from the Mordor games where you can avenge another player's death which is cool. And they made it better so you don't have to go through loading screens as it's all seamlessly integrated. Also, there's another cool feature that adds players' screenshots to the world map and you can check those out. Loving it overall despite some audio issues that hopefully get worked out with this Windows update that's taking forever to install.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Another week of Friday being denied and just stuff happening in general that I didn't play much. Got to chapter 10 on Evil Within. Level design is schizophrenic as fuck. I like it, and I'm still not sure if the game is going to end up like In The Mouth of Madness, or Alice in Wonderland, or the Matrix. I am ready for it to start wrapping up, though. Only so many creepy basements and sewers I can traverse before I develop ADD.

I was going to buy the new Wolfenstein, just because, but I'm seeing massive problems reported on the PC version. So, I'll wait till that gets sorted, plus I want to play The Old Blood first. Fine! I did want to get something new and shiny even though I already have two new shiny things I haven't played. Decided to put my faith in one Wang Mandu, and got Assassin's Creed Origin, then though I swore I'd never bother with an AC game ever again. I did have to research it a tad first. Seems there are no forced stealth or ease dropping missions (the bane of my Black Flag play-through). Sold! Played the very beginning just to see if I should get an immediate refund. Okay, this does not feel like an AC game, other than climbing stuff and using that echo location ability. Combat is completely different. Dark Souls isn't a bad description. I'm no fool. Ass Creed PC port, it's going to need patching like Wolfy 2, I'm sure.

So, my game plan is to finish Evil Within, then Old Blood, followed by Evil Within 2 (First Person mode), Shadow of War, and we'll see who gets patched from there. Also, this is me we're talking about, so expect COD WW2 and/or Star Wars Battlefront 2 single player to get shoe-horned in there somewhere. I'd also like to play Dragon's Dogma and Vampire the Masquerade at some point early 2018.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:tup: I love it and it might be my GOTY. You can see a huge The Witcher 3 influence all over the game. There are a ton of little details they put in the game that I've enjoyed like Bayek, the main character, shaking his hands when you get out of water, spend too much time in the desert and he starts hallucinating and moving like he's severly depeleted but not in that usual oh no my guy is hurt so he's super slow....you still move at normal speed, being able to light your arrows on any fire source, Bayek walks into a house with a torch and angles the torch as to not touch the door, guards waving to each other when they change shifts, YOU CAN LOOT FROM YOUR HORSE (best game inmovation in a decade!). Lots more details too.

I tamed a crocodile last night and watched it fight a hippo. My boy lost :(

And speaking of arrows, you get 4 different kinds of bows 3 of which are essentially an uzi, a shotgun and a sniper rifle. The shotgun bow is so much fun.

The main quest is delivering for me as well. I did a an early/mid game main quest last night that was awesome. I was actually surprised how it played out.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Hmm? You have the Windows port? Anything terrible to report crash/bugs wise? Your Witcher 3 comment just warped my mind.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Wait for a patch or two. There's a sound bug affecting people and myself right now. I have to uninstall my sound card drivers and then restart to get audio sometimes. I hope they put out a patch this week. Ubisoft is usually pretty good about getting patches out compared to a lot of companies.

Now, the writing isn't close to the quality of TW3 at all and you aren't going to be making choices that affect the game. The narrative is set in stone but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Bayek is a good character and the modern day stuff had been about 5 minutes total in the 20+ hours I've played so far. He's essentially a Witcher minus the monsters and with a sheriff for the people kind of slant. The quests haven't been terribly engaging regarding the writing but there's a least a little dislogue that sets the scene. And sometimes doing a simple 5 minute task leads directly into another quest. Going to retrieve someone's horse turns into those bandits have been raiding in a few spots around the village.
Headshotting the bandits with your bow on horseback is pretty fun. So is circling around to charge a bandit who is on foot and thwacking them across the face with your spear is too. AND YOU CAN LOOT FROM YOUR HORSE! :D