The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

I haven’t watched basketball since the Lakers early 2000 dynasty. Isn’t it all 3 point shooting now? Play NBA Jams instead.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Finally got Cuphead for Switch, and it is aesthetically perfect but really fuckin hard!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

dude yes

yes
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 pm Finally got Cuphead for Switch, and it is aesthetically perfect but really fuckin hard!
My kids love it. I tried it but I’m too old for such pattern memorization. If I want something like that I’ll stick with Super C and Contra 3.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

I beat two of the first... whatever, the goo guy and the vegetables. It was more mentally taxing than my actual job. I was wrong, gaming is a sport.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and that’s only because I used save states. Best music, great visual ideas, but fuck the difficulty. I’m never playing this again.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

still cant get further than 30ish minutes into any metro game with out wanting wanting to throw myself out of a high window
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm Beat Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and that’s only because I used save states. Best music, great visual ideas, but fuck the difficulty. I’m never playing this again.
I honestly think this is the best Castlevania game. Its absolutely one of the best pre-3D games.

Did you try playing as Maria? I started using her to get over the difficulty, but eventually I got to the point where I think the game is better if you use her.

I only ever got like 98% completion on my save file, never fucking figured out what I'd missed, despite a few hours trying.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 pm
The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm Beat Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and that’s only because I used save states. Best music, great visual ideas, but fuck the difficulty. I’m never playing this again.
I honestly think this is the best Castlevania game. Its absolutely one of the best pre-3D games.

Did you try playing as Maria? I started using her to get over the difficulty, but eventually I got to the point where I think the game is better if you use her.

I only ever got like 98% completion on my save file, never fucking figured out what I'd missed, despite a few hours trying.
I rescued her right after the half body bull thing at the start of the game, but never looked into playing as her. Mostly because she’s like 5 years old. If it was easier it might have been my new favorite of the pre-SOTN. Alas, Super Castlevania IV still holds the honor. I’ll probably do Bloodlines soon.

Speaking of Symphony of the Night, I tried out that new Bloodstained game. Now, I haven’t played much, mostly due to approaching summer vacations, so I won’t play it for reals until July (possibly). Of what I played, it is fantastic and feels more like a true sequel to SOTN than those Gameboy Metrovanias.

I also have to finally admit that the very first Far Cry game is in fact not only not the best of the series, but the worst. I don’t know why I was so adamant about praising it all this time, but the second half of it is the drizzling shits. I mean it is terrible. Far Cry Predator Instints, on the other hand, is pretty good. Regardless, I’m thinking that 3 is truly the best of all of them.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh, yeah, tried out Maria in Rondo of Blood. Almost a different game. In fact, I’d swear she was made for the game originally as her flexibility matches the style of the enemies and platforming. If anything, Richter feels like the tacked on bonus character.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Finally played Shovel Knight, it's as great as everybody said. Wonderful graphics, the OST has some pretty banging tunes (but you have to enjoy chiptunes for them to click), all of the levels are great fun. Beating the game is a tad easy, though. Still, excellent 8bit-style game.

Spent a couple of evenings with Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon. Got stuck at the vampire lady boss, which annoyed me so much I haven't yet tried again (especially since I've been on a Doom 1 and 2 kicker for the last week). All in all, it's a fine old school game, great music, too. If this had been released on the NES (I know I know, wouldn't have been possible due to technical limitations, get fucked), it would have been one of the all-time classics.

GoG is giving away Toonstruck, which I used to play over twenty years ago, for free :cheers: - still feels really solid, but I've only played an hour or so and haven't made it that far into the game. Christopher Lloyd is great as Drew Blanc, a comic artist who gets sucked into his own world.

Doom 1 & 2: still fucking amazing, shooting an imp with the shotgun point blank still feels awesome. Very immersive experience, a week ago I played it until four in the morning and had nightmares involving monsters from the game. Wife told me the next day I was even screaming in my sleep at one point. :awesome: :ax:
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm Rondo of Blood
Have only played Dracula X for the SNES - man fuck that stupid game. After playing the shit out of Castlevania 4, not being able to steer the player character while he's in the air infuriated me so much that I stopped playing it after a couple of tries. Have tried to get into it countless times, with the same result every time. I'm planning to one day tackle PC Engine CD emulation just so I can play Rondo of Blood... I'm thinking hard about getting the PC Engine Mini when it's released in autumn (it should have Rondo of Blood, but this is still up to speculation), but I really really prefer playing bitmap based games on a proper CRT TV. I've been trying to get my hands on the Super Retrocade V1.1, which apparently emulates PC Engine games decently and which has Cinch out, for months, but since it lacks the CE marking required for electronics to be sold in the EU, I can't have one. (I imported one from the US, but the German customs wouldn't let me have it... the bastards.)
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Doom WAS on the SNES.

Oops, you said NES.

I could only get Rondo to run issue free on the Dolphin Emulator using a Wii virtual console rom, by the way.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I had a wonderful experience using Mednafen to play Rondo, somehow got the settings so that there was almost zero vertical tearing (which never happens for me). Setting it up was a crazy chore, though.

These days I use Bizhawk, which uses a mednafen core and is way less painful. Bizhawk in general is my go-to, I can't believe how quickly it destroyed all my beloved emulators. Like I legit used zsnes for 20 years and couldn't be tempted away from that comfy snow field, but Bizhawk is that fuckin seamless.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

THE KILL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm Finally played Shovel Knight, it's as great as everybody said. Wonderful graphics, the OST has some pretty banging tunes (but you have to enjoy chiptunes for them to click), all of the levels are great fun. Beating the game is a tad easy, though. Still, excellent 8bit-style game.
Shovel Knight is THE retro-styled indie game, for me. All those other 8-bit inspired things are decent, but fell short of this one. It's so damn charming, and the music is PERFECT. If you thought it was easy, I have to know - did you try the DLCs?? They kicked my fucking ass for sure.
THE KILL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm Spent a couple of evenings with Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon. Got stuck at the vampire lady boss, which annoyed me so much I haven't yet tried again (especially since I've been on a Doom 1 and 2 kicker for the last week). All in all, it's a fine old school game, great music, too. If this had been released on the NES (I know I know, wouldn't have been possible due to technical limitations, get fucked), it would have been one of the all-time classics.
I'm eager to check this out but the artstyle is really gross, for me. I dunno why but it seems like a Xbox 360 Live game, visually. I'd kill for an adequate Castlevania experience at this point though, it's been years since I enjoyed a good one.

THE KILL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm GoG is giving away Toonstruck, which I used to play over twenty years ago, for free :cheers: - still feels really solid, but I've only played an hour or so and haven't made it that far into the game. Christopher Lloyd is great as Drew Blanc, a comic artist who gets sucked into his own world.
I love Toonstruck!! I can't believe GOG are giving it away - it was hard to emulate for years! Thanks man. Many good memories of my freinds and I laughint like little idiots, watching Spike the Clown cutscenes over and over again. I dunno what was going on with 90s and edgy clowns, but Spike is probably the overlooked MVP.
THE KILL wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm Doom 1 & 2: still fucking amazing, shooting an imp with the shotgun point blank still feels awesome. Very immersive experience, a week ago I played it until four in the morning and had nightmares involving monsters from the game. Wife told me the next day I was even screaming in my sleep at one point. :awesome: :ax:
Doom is still my favorite FPS! I blew a month of free time playing Brutal Doom earlier this year, still no old shooter I'd rather return to. Something about the timing of the double-barrel shotgun is just perfect. I still play ZDoom online occasionally, happily remembering the reeelapse AIDS clan.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Bizhawk, huh? After I finally (mostly) conquered the ups and downs of Retroarch you make me aware of another option.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Man if you can use retroarch comfortably, you might wanna stick with that.
I just got to the point where I hated the UI, and it didn't work well in conjunction with my front-end (Launchbox).

Retroarch is still probably the boss nigga outside of specialized stuff, I just can't fuckin stand the menu system.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:09 pm Man if you can use retroarch comfortably, you might wanna stick with that.
I just got to the point where I hated the UI, and it didn't work well in conjunction with my front-end (Launchbox).

Retroarch is still probably the boss nigga outside of specialized stuff, I just can't fuckin stand the menu system.
Will do then.

As for Bloodstained’s art style, I know what you’re getting at. Those Xbox Live or even PSP 3D remakes of old games like Turtles in time. Yeah, those sucked. But, Bloodstained (at 4K and maxed graphics, at least) doesn’t look or feel like those. I think it’s gorgeous.

On a side note, anyone that PC games notice the lack of options in audio settings now a days? Used to be there was mono, sterio, 5.1, 7.1, EAX, and so forth. I think the Resident Evil 2 remake is the only one recently to have this. Maybe the other games rely on your Windows preset and lets Windows take care of it. I don’t know.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:17 pm
Shovel Knight is THE retro-styled indie game, for me. All those other 8-bit inspired things are decent, but fell short of this one. It's so damn charming, and the music is PERFECT. If you thought it was easy, I have to know - did you try the DLCs?? They kicked my fucking ass for sure.

I'm eager to check [ Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon] out but the artstyle is really gross, for me. I dunno why but it seems like a Xbox 360 Live game, visually. I'd kill for an adequate Castlevania experience at this point though, it's been years since I enjoyed a good one.

Doom is still my favorite FPS! I blew a month of free time playing Brutal Doom earlier this year, still no old shooter I'd rather return to. Something about the timing of the double-barrel shotgun is just perfect. I still play ZDoom online occasionally, happily remembering the reeelapse AIDS clan.
Haven't tried Shovel Knight's DLC, thought it had the perfect length and was eager to play other games I had bought. Tried a couple of levels with the new character you get after you beat the game, though. It's cool and I know I will play the game again in a couple of years, but until then, I'm good.

Re: Curse of the Moon - are we talking the same game here? CotM was the 8bit retro game they developed as a stretchgoal for Ritual of the Night (which is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night, which I never really got into because there were too many RPG elements in it. Castlevania, for me, will always be this really simple of type of action jump'n run. I don't ned any Metroidvania elements in muh Castlevania games.):

I haven't gotten around to finishing Doom 2 since I'm in the middle of building a game table and a mini cocktail arcade cab and some other shit, but as soon as I've done that I'll try out Brutal Doom. I have heard many good things about it...
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

fuck my face, I was talking about bloodstained ritual of the night - MY BAD

Curse of the Moon was dope although I never beat it
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Brutal Doom and Project Brutally are both dope, fool. Never finished a proper play through of either, though. 90’s era video game blood is best blood.

And I’m not talking about Blood. Which I plan on finally playing/beating this summer.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 pm And I’m not talking about Blood. Which I plan on finally playing/beating this summer.
man, I haven't thought about that game in forever. Have never played it myself, which I should rectify at some point in the future. The commentary by the player character and all the screaming is hilarious.

Looking forward to Blazing Chrome a lot:

It looks so much like a Contra sequel on the Genesis.... with hugely improved graphics. I could watch well done parallax scrolling like this all day...

I'm also thinking about getting Odallus:

James, since you enjoyed the 8bit Bloodstained so much this might be the game for you!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Can't wait to play this game:

As for the rest, has any of you played Katana Zero? I'm getting Hotline Miami vibes from this...

delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Katana Zero is pretty good. It's fucking hard, though. I feel like it's gonna be real short, too :(