The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am Does anyone else here play 8 or 16bit games on a regular basis?
I played a lot of emulations of old Sega Mega Drive games for a while and I still think there's something special about the 16-bit era that's never going to be replicated - those games have aged really well, and I don't think it's just nostalgia - vector graphics, like CGI in movies, just don't hold up over time the way the 16-bit stuff has.

Playing all that stuff eventually led to me buying current-gen consoles and a PC, though, and now I don't play them much anymore. I always mostly played games that I already had in the late 80s/early 90s anyway.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 pm
THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am Does anyone else here play 8 or 16bit games on a regular basis? Or am I talking to myself basically every time I post...
You are not alone friend. I just got the sword of kings in Earthbound - end of a 20-year journey.

I don't play games as much as some of you guys, but when I do it's probably 90% emulation.
I'm actually more into emulation than gaming at this point - a lot of what I do is fuss with my various gadgets and retro-setups.

I was one of those guys with a massive collection of old games for many years, sold most of it off in 2016.

What do you get up to?
Ha yeah I had some games that are pretty sought after today. Have been rebuying them the last couple of years... there's just something about taking a cart out of its box, slamming it into a console and hitting the on-switch. Then flip through the manual when you're lying in bed, looking forward to more gaming... :fp:

I love flash carts, I've got Everdrives for the SNES, Mega Drive/ Genesis, NES, and Gamebody Advance. They allow you to play hacks and fan-translations of games on original hardware. I'm also a huge fan of all sorts of crummy emulation hardware, like this:

Or the Super Retro-Cade:
http://retro-bit.com/super-retrocade

I got v1.1 which adds, among else, R-Type 1 and 2! For some strange reason it makes a significant difference for me when games are officially licensed and they put some snazzy artwork on the box, especially if it's the games' logos... it makes me feel like I'm ten again.

Got a raspberry pie once and a nice 3d printed mini NES shell, started learning linux, gave it to a friend when I got the impression the Retropie emulators had massive amount of lag (and got tired of linux). I hear it's a lot better nowadays...
cxwx wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm I have some genesis games on my iPhone 6s does that count?
Sure! So, do you have a favourite Genesis game?
spacehamster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:51 am
THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am Does anyone else here play 8 or 16bit games on a regular basis?
I played a lot of emulations of old Sega Mega Drive games for a while and I still think there's something special about the 16-bit era that's never going to be replicated - those games have aged really well, and I don't think it's just nostalgia - vector graphics, like CGI in movies, just don't hold up over time the way the 16-bit stuff has.

Playing all that stuff eventually led to me buying current-gen consoles and a PC, though, and now I don't play them much anymore. I always mostly played games that I already had in the late 80s/early 90s anyway.
No question, nostalgia plays a huge role - but as you said, it's not only that, many games from that time were ace. When I got back into a bit of cart collecting, I first got the games I used to have as a kid, but I've bought many new games (many of which I had almost wanted as a kid) and many of them are still great without the nostalgia-tinted goggles. ALso, there's something about pixel graphics that you won't get with any other style.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Sekiro is so fucking good. I only just beat the first proper boss, but I think I can already safely say they totally nailed it. It takes a lot of stuff from the Souls games but still manages to be its own thing, and combat feels awesome. Probably the most important part is how smoothly it handles, compared to Souls. It wouldn't work at all if it wasn't so buttery smooth.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

I'm gonna pull the trigger on that new Yoshi game, it's just too goddamn cute to not buy

We started New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe a few weeks ago, and I'm at a maddening point where I've done everything to get five stars on the save file but only four stars will show up??!?!?!?! I caught Nabbit as many times as you can catch Nabbit, beat every level, got every star coin, I'm at my wit's end and I just want that fifth star so I can focus on the Luigi half of the game (which I think I like more tbqh)
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

:lol: :lol:

played a couple of worlds in Mario 3D World on the Wii U, but was only mildly entertained. Played Super Mario World on the SNES again, and yep, still holds up. I don't like how everything looks like plastic nowadays; many modern Nintendo games are guilty of that, which is why I loved the look of Yoshi's Wooly Story. (pity the game was boring/ too easy)

Made it to the last boss in SNES Magical Quest/ Micky Mouse yesterday, then had to leave for a date. :x Beating the iceskating boss of the winter level took me around two hours, I think, and a couple of times I was close to throwing the gamepad at the TV. Motherfucker.

Next up: Kirby Super Star/ SNES.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

hahaha i haven't thought that mickey's magical quest game in a while - that was a lot of fun.

and I agree with you on the mario games looking like shit in 3D. but I think they've emerged from the uncanny (unpretty?) valley in the last few years, so I've come around. i weirdly ONLY played the end challenges of whichever mario game had the rabbit "broodles" (?) and you had to do all the boss battles in a row before fighting a voltron equivalent. i was basically brought in as a ringer. still got it
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Well, just like any other Kirby game I've tried out, Kirby Super Star has great graphics & animations, tons of charm, but it's just not any fun to play. Still waiting for Aladdin/SNES to arrive, and that bootlegger from Ebay has promised to send me another Wild Guns cart.

I haven't played that Mario Game you're talking about, Necrometer, but I've missed a lot in the last fifteen years. I've got Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 for the Wii lying around, though...

Has any of you played Contra on the NDS? It looks and sounds pretty spectacular:
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Favorite genesis game?

Hard to say as I grew up with the system and played lots of games on it. Maybe phantasy Star 4
Ill body
/
Ill will
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

THE KILL wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 amI haven't played that Mario Game you're talking about, Necrometer,
it was super mario odyssey for the switch!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 am Well, just like any other Kirby game I've tried out, Kirby Super Star has great graphics & animations, tons of charm, but it's just not any fun to play.
The one for the original Wii was quite good (Not Yarn, the other one). Looks amazing emulated at 4K on the PC.

I’m playing Ass Creed Greece & No One Lives Forever 2. Once done with which ever I’m strongly thinking about Metriod Prime or Mario Galaxy emulated. Never beat either. Or perhaps Zelda Wind Waker. Did beat that, though.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

cxwx wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:18 pm Favorite genesis game?

Hard to say as I grew up with the system and played lots of games on it. Maybe phantasy Star 4
Kings Bounty & Greatest Heavyweights
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

cxwx wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:18 pm Favorite genesis game?
MUSHA Aleste, Thunderforce III and IV, Revenge of Shinobi.

Don't make me rank them, though.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Opted not to buy the new Yoshi game as I finally played the demo, and it's as cute as advertised but I'm sure would get bored fast

Also, fuckin the golf game for I think it was Gamecube totally owned, I would like a port of that tomorrow
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

it's Hard Corps.

and yeah Yoshi doesn't seem worth $60. I'd play it for a third of that.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

copstache wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:55 pm it's Hard Corps.
Played lots of Contra III recently and then played Hard Corps for the first time... I gotta admit I was a bit disappointed. III has such a grim vibe, HC however comes across as a bit cheesy...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Uh, anyone else still playing Sekiro?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm Uh, anyone else still playing Sekiro?
Nah, man. Dark Souls 3 just so didn’t do it for me so I’m done with whatever you want to call that play style (Dark Soul-ish?) for the time being. I’d need to finish DS2 and Noih first, regardless.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 pm
Nah, man. Dark Souls 3 just so didn’t do it for me so I’m done with whatever you want to call that play style (Dark Soul-ish?) for the time being. I’d need to finish DS2 and Noih first, regardless.
I dunno, I'm pretty burned out on Dark Souls too - never even bothered finishing the DLC for DS3 because I was just sick of it. But the combat in this one is so completely different that it really feels fresh and new and fun.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Gonna be working close to 60 hours this week, and any free time is going to be at the gym or bujitsu, so I still haven’t played Sekiro. I wish I could take a week off and just fuckin wallow in some v games and junk food though
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 am I wish I could take a week off and just fuckin wallow in some v games and junk food though
It's spring break at my school right now and basically all I'm doing is sitting on the couch screaming at Sekiro bosses. I'm getting close to the end, though.

And then I'll have to think about whether I'll get the PS4 version and platinum it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Well, I just finished Sekiro today, and since everyone's talking about it, I'm sure you all want to hear my review.

The short version is, everything you've heard about this game is true. It's basically Dark Souls-style level design, but with a more or less completely different combat system. Most everyone seems to think it's harder than Dark Souls, and I'm inclined to agree, mostly because there's really no way to just grind levels until your stats make up for your lack of skills. There's some stuff you can grind, but your base stats, i.e. vitality and damage output, are increased by beating bosses and mini-bosses. And yes, you have to learn to parry or you won't get far. The game will eventually give you lots of toys to play with and the added stealth mechanics also give you more options, so the one thing everyone says that I don't agree with is that there's only one way to approach most situations - there's all kinds of tricks to try, including in boss fights, but the best approach is usually to be aggressive. And I think it's pretty obvious that that's what they wanted to do with Bloodborne, but now they've actually achieved it. Stick and move will usually just get you killed.

The final boss took me an entire weekend to beat and probably the same number of hours I'd usually spend beating an entire action game, but I'm still not convinced it's the hardest boss I've ever played - I never did get all the way to the end of the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, and I remember there was at least one boss there that I couldn't beat for like a week.

Also, one thing I'm not seeing in many reviews is the fact that while yes, this game has a much more straightforward story that it doesn't mind telling you in a way that you can make sense of, it shares a lot of themes with Dark Souls, and there are also lots and lots of hidden side character stories that are just as obscure and easily missed as everything in the Souls games was.

So in conclusion, this has everything I love about the Souls series but unlike Bloodborne (and I love Bloodborne), it also manages to feel fresh and different enough because the combat is new and fun. Fucking great game.

10/10
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:awesome:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:01 am I'm gonna pull the trigger on that new Yoshi game, it's just too goddamn cute to not buy

We started New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe a few weeks ago, and I'm at a maddening point where I've done everything to get five stars on the save file but only four stars will show up??!?!?!?! I caught Nabbit as many times as you can catch Nabbit, beat every level, got every star coin, I'm at my wit's end and I just want that fifth star so I can focus on the Luigi half of the game (which I think I like more tbqh)
UPDATE: I had missed a flag, even though I had all the secret exits done, whooops!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i'm afraid i'm getting into minecraft
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Anyone playing Mortal Kombat 11?