The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Hunter »

I consider myself one of the most impatient people when it comes to cutscenes, and I am usually the guy who feels like game narrative isn't worth the effort to follow. That said, I have never felt bored by Death Stranding, and I've been actively extending my playtime by not rushing to the end - even though I know it's approaching. I've been going back through the main map and building out roads and zip lines so I can make deliveries easier/faster. I should mention that it's not so much a walking simulator after the first hump of the game. You get motorcycles and trucks, and other online people leave them laying around. It's ultimately a game about helping people in isolation, and maybe that's what I like about it? Well, that and the fact that it's a fully realized vision of an insane post apocalyptic world that uses dream logic - the kind of vision that I can't believe got millions of dollars to produce. It's an experience like no other game can offer, because all AAA games play it safe - and they need to in order to make their shareholders happy. It feels like there were no suits involved in this production at all, and that alone makes me think this deserves support.

However, I don't think it's for everyone - - If you want your standard games with familiar mechanics - and I don't begrudge anyone for wanting that for their escapism, DS is not that. It's familiar enough to not feel like you're learning a whole different playstyle, but it's got some new stuff as well. I was expecting to plow through a mountain of bullshit and potentially fall off the game pretty quickly, but it was $20, so I took a shot. I think I put it on easy, because I'm in my 40s and don't have the time to master games like I could previously... I don't regret that, and maybe that helped me not get frustrated. Anyway, I'm a huge fan now, and I want to get a Bridges hat.

If you do end up playing DS: when you're in a safe room, don't stare at Sam's crotch too much. He gets offended, flips you off, then threatens to punch you if you keep doing it. He doesn't seem to mind you watching him shower, however. Spend some time at the mirror too.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eh, I adder it to my wishlist. It’s going to need to be heavy discounted, though. I think I only have 2 “new”games I properly plan on getting this year at some point for reals. Cyberpunk 2077 when they finish patching it, and Mass Effect Legendary Edition because Mass Effect is my girlfriend.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I'm disappointed that there's no PS5 version of Mass Effect Legendary Edition - or at least on the game launch - but maybe the PS4 version will be good enough with the shorter load times. I've played through that series 3 times so far, and I'm ready for another go at it. I'm also waiting for the PS5 version of Cyberpunk to land, but that's not happening until July/August at the earliest. What a goddamn shit show that turned out to be. The best, most reliable version ended up being on Stadia.

I'm looking forward to checking out Control: Ultimate Edition, since that was free with ps plus. I heard how horribly it ran on the older consoles and didn't bother with it until I had something that would run it smoothly. I played 10 mins of Destruction Allstars that was also released via ps plus, and that seems like a fun take on demolition derby games.

I made it through the arena battles in Fist of the North Star so far and it's awesome. Thanks for recommending that, Bill!
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I’ve been really studying up on different Tetris 99 strats and I’m becoming more powerful than I ever thought possible.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Finished Sleeping Dogs. It’s fine to good if you like that sandbox type waiz

Replaying Evil Within 2. God fucking damn so overlooked. Play it in first person, so great.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Spelunky 2 is from hell and I want it sent back there.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Comrade Slinky wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:15 am Spelunky 2 is from hell and I want it sent back there.
My male decedent ended up being a huge Kirby fan. I think he’s played and beat every one from Gameboy to Switch except like one SNES one and another random one I can’t remember.

Still playing Evil Within 2. Super goods, but New Game + is making it a breeze. That’s fine, though.

When will I ever finally and seriously try to do a proper play through of Metriod Prime? If I beat it, will it be my finale as I combust into merlot and burgundy flames?
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

For the first 90% of this video it just seemed like someone made a game where special forces guys are murdering civilians in the middle of the night.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 am

For the first 90% of this video it just seemed like someone made a game where special forces guys are murdering civilians in the middle of the night.
Not going to lie, kind of want to play that except:

A) Call of Duty games tend to be boring 80% of the actual game.
B) I need some bullshit named Blizzard net to play it on PC. I already have GOG, Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, Rockstar.... apps taking up precious C drive space. No more I say!
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Six Days in Fallujah is BACK!

Kids can finally LARP as their disabled vet uncles - very cool!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Random NES reviews: the boy and I are picking emulated games at random here we go:

Dionwarz: fucking terrible. Worst jumping ever.

Fun House: Vomit. A is move forward . Can’t get past first screen. AIDS!

Solstice: The FUCK!

Assault of Bungly Bay (or something): Fuck me, what is happening.

Isolated Warrior: not good, but not god awful

Terra Crests: Yeah, it’s fine. Old.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Zelda Skyward Sword coming to the Switch and you can play it without the motion control bullshit? Any opinions on it? I can not stand Wii remote dick piss, so I gave it a hard pass then. Worth a look?
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Now Playing Far Cry Blood Fucking Dragon. I must have shaken of the faggotry of living through the last 2 decades, ‘cause now I see how awesome it all is, spoof or not.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Playing Burnout Paradise and loving it. Never been much of a racing game guy but maybe it’s time to become one
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 pm Playing Burnout Paradise and loving it. Never been much of a racing game guy but maybe it’s time to become one
The only racing series besides Mario Kart that doesn’t infuriate me. I think 3 Burnout was the best one, but the world tends to favor Paradise the most.

Outside of one awful horde level Blood Dragon was damn entertaining.

Now playing Berserk and the Band of the Hawk. First, time I’ve played a Dynasty Warrior type game. And probably the last.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Finished Black Mesa. As I said before, adding a few tweaks via Steam workshop is a must, but once done it’s superior to original Half-Life. Interloper still fucking sucks, but new last boss battle completely makes up for it.

Need a new keyboard/mouse game. Maybe that Tron 2.0 will give me a footjob.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Has anyone here played Little Nightmares? This is giving me strong Inside-vibes, and since Inside was fucking amazing, I'm thinking about borrowing my mate's PS4 for this...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

R-Type being mentioned has made me try and remember the first handful of games I had as a little shaver. First must have been Missile Defense 3-D. Second I’m pretty sure would have been Thunder Blade. Then Alien Syndrome, R-Type and its kind of a blur from there. I remember Sega had a give away for a “surprise game” if you mailed back UPC codes. After 8 weeks I got Double Dragon in the mail. Ran to my friends house and brought him over and we played it for like three hours straight.
Ill body
/
Ill will
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

cxwx wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm R-Type being mentioned has made me try and remember the first handful of games I had as a little shaver. First must have been Missile Defense 3-D. Second I’m pretty sure would have been Thunder Blade. Then Alien Syndrome, R-Type and its kind of a blur from there. I remember Sega had a give away for a “surprise game” if you mailed back UPC codes. After 8 weeks I got Double Dragon in the mail. Ran to my friends house and brought him over and we played it for like three hours straight.
So you had a Master System as your first console? Awesome - I remember when I was still playing my Atari VCS/ 2600, I would marvel at the NES when I had the rare chance to play it at somebody else's house. The Master System had so much better graphics, many cool Arcade games´, and ALex Kidd.
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

I could have sworn I posted in here recently. Doesn't look like it though.

Finally finished upgrading my PC to an RTX 3090 and 5900x. I mainly use it to play Beat Saber and whatever new multiplatform stuff releases.

Also getting my shit pushed in on Demon Souls remake.
i like to dissect women
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Singularity. Remember it being better but it’s not bad by any means.

Started Resident Evil 2 replay with first person mod. The fear is fucking real, fuck 3rd person. 1st will turn you white.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Finally beat Castle Bloodlines for the Genesis/ Mega Drive. Compared to 1-3, it's not that hard, it took us (mate and I) roughly 12 hours start to finish.

Played Ghouls'n Ghost for the Genesis, but had to give up at the stage five boss. Were stuck with the sword there with no way to get different weapon. Seriously, why did they put the sword into that game? It fucking sucks. Let's hope the new Switch Ghosts'n Goblins is good!

Also, Henk Nieborg's been hard at work at an arcadey action dungeon crawler (which is supposed to look like it was released on Capcom's CPS2-hardware!):

The Japanese lady who did music for the legendary Mega Man 1 and 2 games does the music for this one (how did they even find her? Japanese game developers in the 80s and 90s didn't even get proper credits in their games), but I haven't yet heard anything that stands out...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

While cutscenes are perfect the RE2 first person mod apparently removes Leon’s head, so some mirror stuff and shadows are that of the headless horseman. But it’s really great. Biggest gripe is that fast enemies like lickers and zomb-doggoes are a fucking nightmare. And forgot about dodging Mr X in tight spots.

Having a huge craving to replay Metro 2033 & Last Light. Then maybe I’ll finally get to Exodus. Story driven single-player first person shooters with monsters and humans really is my favorite genre. Half-Life, Singularity, Metro. Trying to think of others, Riddick, Undying, Timesplitters, I’m sure there are many more.