The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

Finally, after many months Yakuza 0 done. A ton of redundancy and busy work, but I liked it. Ending character switches, swerves, and WTF, yet I’ll just let it be has Jap culture I’ll never get. Also, I feel this was a fan service prelude, and I just don’t know since I’ve never played another of these games. Liked it though.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Okay, re-beat Half-Life 1. Xen isn’t so bad except for the final boss fight which is so friggin’ awful I almost fell down.

Now playing Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay, which is so good it made me like Vin Diesel.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

streets of rage 4

and tokyo 42

:fonz:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

haxed version of Mario 64 that works with mouse and WASD!

https://anonfiles DOT com/p1l7Vbv4oe/mario64pc_7z
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Riddick : Butcher Bay. Was slightly more frustrating than I remembered.

Beat DOOM 3. Much better than I remember. Funny how I never noticed how much they ripped off from Half-life and Aliens vs Predator colonial marines campaign.

Might do Blood 2 or Undying next.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:38 am Beat Riddick : Butcher Bay. Was slightly more frustrating than I remembered.

Beat DOOM 3. Much better than I remember. Funny how I never noticed how much they ripped off from Half-life and Aliens vs Predator colonial marines campaign.

Wait wait, you actually played Colonial Marines?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

I remember playing it for half an hour max after deleting it again. Offered to give it away for free a couple of times on messageboards, but no takers so far... I'm not surprised.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I think I bought it during a Steam sale, mostly out of morbid curiosity because everyone said how shitty it was. Can't really remember anything more about it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:56 am
The Bill wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:38 am Beat Riddick : Butcher Bay. Was slightly more frustrating than I remembered.

Wait wait, you actually played Colonial Marines?
Haha! I was referring to the 1999 Aliens vs Predator PC game. The colonial marine campaign.

I bought Aliens: Colonial Marines off Steam for like 3 bucks because there’s a mod that supposedly fixes a ton of problems. But, yeah, I was one of the assholes that preorder the 360 version back when and it was terrible! Stopped about an hour or so in. Never tried it since. Sold it back right away.

Playing Half-Life 2 with the MMOD mod. Wonderful!!!
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

So I 200.6%'d the map in Symphony of the Night, which I'd never done previously, and then went through and grinded out all the trophies because at 41 I've decided to start collecting platinums again

only Symphony of the Night is bundled with Rondo of Blood, which is actually pretty fucking hard, and trying to get the trophies for this game is just pissing me off entirely and not feeling at all satisfying and is making me think, man maybe I'm not that good at video games after all,

OR, WORSE YET,

what if I once WAS good at video games but I'm past my gaming prime ?

Not only has age stolen my fighting prime from me, I can't even GAME GOOD ANYMORE.

Now I'm back to Rocksmith, because I was never any good at guitar, so being bad at it now isn't hurtful. Or as hurtful I guess.

If I didn't have an adorable kitty I'd probably just call it a career at this point
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’m smarter at gaming and can recognize patterns easier, but I’m not as good and I’ve lost a ton of patience for things. My present play through of HL2 is extremely methodical compared to my run n’ gun cowboy style of old.

But, Rondo is hard as fuck. The game is fine then you meet the spear knights and it goes downhill from there.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Almost finished Persona 3. Really enjoying it, glad I could finally catch the wave for this series.

I wanna get into Persona 4 next. I played about 8 hours of it many years ago. I'm feeling very apprehensive though, since I remember the introductory sequence took me about 4 fucking hours - such a fucking crock of shit, I'm sure the game is beautiful once it opens up... but that's just such a bummer.

I really struggle staying invested in characters or plot early in games... it's generally only after a few weeks of playing that I begin to enjoy things like that.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

riley-o wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:01 pm So I 200.6%'d the map in Symphony of the Night, which I'd never done previously, and then went through and grinded out all the trophies because at 41 I've decided to start collecting platinums again

only Symphony of the Night is bundled with Rondo of Blood, which is actually pretty fucking hard, and trying to get the trophies for this game is just pissing me off entirely and not feeling at all satisfying and is making me think, man maybe I'm not that good at video games after all,

OR, WORSE YET,

what if I once WAS good at video games but I'm past my gaming prime ?

Not only has age stolen my fighting prime from me, I can't even GAME GOOD ANYMORE.

Now I'm back to Rocksmith, because I was never any good at guitar, so being bad at it now isn't hurtful. Or as hurtful I guess.

If I didn't have an adorable kitty I'd probably just call it a career at this point
I have faith in you, Riley!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I really wish I hadn't played Doom Eternal before I gave 2016 a proper shot. I'm still in the first level and I don't think I can handle how bad this game is at telling me where to go, and how muted and dull the shooting is compared to Eternal. I actually also felt like Eternal wasn't particularly good at being clear about what you're supposed to do, but this one's clearly worse, and there's just nothing I hate more in games than running around the same fucking hallways over and over trying to figure out what I'm missing and where I'm supposed to go.

I'm giving it like another day or two until I go back to Eternal and try to beat it on Nightmare because I still can't play other games.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

2016 does get a lot better with flow over the course of the game

but i did find a lot of those problems too, the seamless doubling and tripling back that every original doom map had is just a bygone quality at this point. wandering around nondescript grey black red martian industrial garbage for hours at time trying to remmeber where you havent been etc etc sucks
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm but i did find a lot of those problems too, the seamless doubling and tripling back that every original doom map had is just a bygone quality at this point. wandering around nondescript grey black red martian industrial garbage for hours at time trying to remmeber where you havent been etc etc sucks
Yeah, I was kind of thinking, I guess modern games have just made me go soft because this used to be the norm, but I never liked it back then either. Especially because the 3D map screen is more confusing than helpful. Drives me nuts in Eternal too, and those levels aren't nearly as complicated.

I dunno, I kind of want to like the game because it has more of the claustrophobic atmosphere that I liked about the original Doom games, but it's just... eh.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Playing Resident Evil 2 remake.
Its pretty cool and I want to love it, but its a little irritating in weird ways.

I feel like the old goofy puzzles just dont belong anymore, and the ways that the game prevents progress is just bothering me rather than challenging.

Trying to remember which doors had which symbol on them is annoying as fuck.

The shit they did right really is remarkable though. Its genuinely scary, and it actually manages o dust off the old zombie survival charm that's become so well-worn.

I just feel like i cant settle into a groove of clear objective and challenge; spending a lot of time not feeling anything other than mild sullen annoyance.

Could be that life in the world kinda sucks right now and my mood just wont elevate easily though. I should start exercising more
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

nevermind its pretty good now
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Half-Life 1 gets shit for Xen, but somehow HL2’s Strider section gets a pass. The pits! Anyhow beaten.

Also beat the Saint’s Row 3 Remaster. I used to compare this game to a Troma film, but on replaying it’s not as raunchy or wacky as I remember. I still like it but they really need to steal from that last Grand Theft Auto because the gameplay is dated.

Now replaying Batman Arkham Asylum. Such good shit on PC with the 4K and the physics. The physics! 360 version never had this. All the smoke and steam and garbage swirling around. 5 out of 5, would walk back and worth over paper again.

https://youtu.be/6GyKCM-Bpuw
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Last of Us 2 was extremely brutal.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Chigurh
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by Chigurh »

Did you beat it? How long did it take?
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Are you worried about ethics in game journalism?
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I'm playing remastered Dark Souls as a dex build and I'm REALLY bad at it
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Chigurh wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:01 pm Did you beat it? How long did it take?
I was distracted working from home on a release last night but I would estimate 25-30 hours including a lot of dumpster diving for crafting bits.

I wimped out & chose Moderate difficulty as I wanted to experience the story & find out what the next chapter entailed.

Really only id estimate 2-3 sections with a few retries to get through. By far I loaded saves more because I wanted to do it stealthily that because I died.

It’s a much nastier and roundly more violent trip to Mushroom land this go around. Basically there’s nothing in the world but the odd rabbit, deer or bird that isn’t out to kill you in a gorgeously grotesque way.

Visually obviously it’s Naughty Dog so there’s some insane art. The character detail has I think even surpassed Deaths Stranding (or as I call it Whack a do Deliveroo) - in certain lighting situations on PS4 pro in HDR it was achingly amazing to look at and I felt like I had cold damp socks on trudging around much of Seattle.

The environments are killer, the final chapter of the game makes use of one not often utilised in these sorts of games and manages to keep the dread up which I was impressed by.

The crafting is a little less challenging for Ellie as she’s provisioned with a knife so no constant shiv building for clicker encounters.

It’s fucking stressful every time you encounter the infected, I played on good 7:1 headphones & was shitting myself on several occasions.

The From platinuming crowd here would do well to play it on hard to give yourselves a challenge - I started a new game + on custom ramping up all the difficulties but made items abundant as ammo is in short supply & the digging around for everything made it feel a bit too much like a Resident Evil game with easier puzzles in spots.

No issue with game reviewer ethics, it sits comfortably in the top 5 games of this console generation - the issues id pick with it come with narrative spoilers I just wouldn’t touch on for a few months - go play it you lot it’s fucking amazing.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

good post