The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Post Reply
User avatar
Necrophilic Mallard
Olde Timer
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: Seattle

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Wang Mandu wrote:
Hypnagogia wrote:Doesn't Prototype rely on the fighting game combat system of button mashing to string combos together?
Oh, so you're not going to pick up God of War III then?
I played the 1st one...it was ok fun, just not my type of game.

this made it more enjoyable:
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.

User avatar
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 11333
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Piss Wash Gully

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Comrade Slinky wrote:Picked up the Awakening expansion, 45 dollars seems awfully steep. After that, the game and the add ons...pricey business.
Also wasn't expecting to lose my old party... :cry:

User avatar
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?
Posts: 3480
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: West Coast Gang Banging

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13908
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:14 am

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Comrade Slinky wrote:
Comrade Slinky wrote:Picked up the Awakening expansion, 45 dollars seems awfully steep. After that, the game and the add ons...pricey business.
Also wasn't expecting to lose my old party... :cry:
The price seems fair as I'll bet the length is pretty good. Don't mind losing the old party because the new characters look fun. I'm more worried about all of this "DLC not transferring over" crap . I'm sure some PC nerd/genius has or will be releasing a hotfix shortly. I better have a storage chest in Awakening.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele

User avatar
copstache
Total Recluse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: http://420.moe/

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
i played about an hour (pc). it's pretty good. despite what trailers might have indicated it's nothing like STALKER. it's really linear (so far anyway) and interactivity with your surroundings seems pretty low. so far it's a very scripted, but effectively atmospheric game. it's got some really impressive light effects if you care about that kind of thing/ have a good system.

i hope it opens up a little more later on but even if it doesn't, i really like the vibe it gives off.

word of warning though, despite the pc-centric graphical detail, it's obvious that they designed it to be multi-platform. in a weird way, you might actually be better off using a wired xbox controller on the pc version to get the best of both worlds. the controls feel a little... squishy, and there's no quicksave.

all of which doesn't matter TOO much because it's not a twitch game anyway.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.

User avatar
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 11333
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Piss Wash Gully

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Wang Mandu wrote:
Comrade Slinky wrote:
Comrade Slinky wrote:Picked up the Awakening expansion, 45 dollars seems awfully steep. After that, the game and the add ons...pricey business.
Also wasn't expecting to lose my old party... :cry:
The price seems fair as I'll bet the length is pretty good. Don't mind losing the old party because the new characters look fun. I'm more worried about all of this "DLC not transferring over" crap . I'm sure some PC nerd/genius has or will be releasing a hotfix shortly. I better have a storage chest in Awakening.
You get a storage chest right away. As for what transferred over, seems to be a mess. Had a lot of my gear, but was wearing a non-stat robe and helm? Might have to boot up my old character to see what got lost in the wash, may be more than a few things.

User avatar
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?
Posts: 3480
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: West Coast Gang Banging

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 am

copstache wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
i played about an hour (pc). it's pretty good. despite what trailers might have indicated it's nothing like STALKER. it's really linear (so far anyway) and interactivity with your surroundings seems pretty low. so far it's a very scripted, but effectively atmospheric game. it's got some really impressive light effects if you care about that kind of thing/ have a good system.

i hope it opens up a little more later on but even if it doesn't, i really like the vibe it gives off.

word of warning though, despite the pc-centric graphical detail, it's obvious that they designed it to be multi-platform. in a weird way, you might actually be better off using a wired xbox controller on the pc version to get the best of both worlds. the controls feel a little... squishy, and there's no quicksave.

all of which doesn't matter TOO much because it's not a twitch game anyway.

I can't even get the game to run. It loaded up one time and I set up my graphic settings. Then I had to restart for them to take effect then it hangs at the THQ screen and crashes. I deleted and redownloaded from Steam but it still doesnt work. It was strange because after the redownload it didnt go through the install process again. I don't know I don't feel like dealing with this shit right now.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/

User avatar
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Posts: 9312
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 am

The Masses: So, The Bill, what game did you end up playing with your once in a lifetime free time on a Tuesday? :awesome:

The Bill: Nothing, I got home, fell asleep, and woke up when my wife got home.

The Masses: :tdown:

User avatar
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...
Posts: 3662
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa
Contact:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 am

I know it's apparently like the shortest and easiest game in the world, but I'm still slowly working my way through Dante's Inferno.
I think I am actually kind of starting to hate the game itself.

Scenery and environment details? 10 out of fucking 10.
Gameplay? FUCK YOU SO BAD!

I really hate that they let you fight a couple of guys with your awesome scythe and then it's puzzle after stupid puzzle. And the puzzles aren't hard to figure out, they are just seemingly tuned so badly that you die from the smallest miscalculation on a jump. Restart...do it over, restart, do it over, restart, do it over. And then you accidentally fall in some lava after getting through it and it starts you all over again. This isn't fucking Megaman here, this is artificially trying to extend the length of the game and it sucks. Seriously, I just wanna kill some guys.

Still love all the Wayne Barlowe demon designs, but their level designers should be shot.

Definitely looking forward to finishing this and grabbing GOW3 to make up for it.

User avatar
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Posts: 9312
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:40 am

ungodlywarlock wrote: they are just seemingly tuned so badly that you die from the smallest miscalculation on a jump. Restart...do it over, restart, do it over, restart, do it over.
Thank you, this was my first impression of the game when I played it that one time. If God of War III is super awesome and I'd want to replay it, I may just tell Inferno to fuck off.

User avatar
Green Chamber
Nespithe
Posts: 991
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:56 am

Image

Fucking wild game! Anyone play this who also played The World Ends With You? The similarities are puzzling me...

User avatar
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 12240
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:00 am
Location: ಠ_ಠ

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I played about an hour of each. Both seemed pretty cool. Devil Survivor looks like it has more depth but TWEWY looked more polished and original. I think fans of the persona games would love Devil Survivor. That would make sense since it's pretty much a persona game anyways... but yeah, the storylines are pretty similar. Those JSKWFOWBIJRPG's (Japanese School Kids Who Fight Other Worldly Beings In Japan Role Playing Games) are probably pretty popular over there.

User avatar
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe
Posts: 60330
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 am
Location: Feelin' fine.
Contact:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

hypercard!

Image
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning

User avatar
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 am

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Looks like I have to get a third DS now... Fuckers.


http://g4tv.com/videos/44831/Nintendo_D ... n_Preview/

User avatar
zombiehead
Patient Zero
Posts: 24536
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: ny

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:20 pm

hahaha that fighting game looks so retarded.. yet.. awesome?

User avatar
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: JOBBERS GET SQUASHED

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:25 pm

I was going to post this in the "classic games" thread but I can't find it.

Holyshit, this was on the MASTER system? :drool: I've never even heard of it. looks amazing for an 8 bit game

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJqyvz- ... re=related<
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes

User avatar
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 am

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Scarlet Bro Hansen wrote:I was going to post this in the "classic games" thread but I can't find it.

Holyshit, this was on the MASTER system? :drool: I've never even heard of it. looks amazing for an 8 bit game

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJqyvz- ... re=related<

Blow and shoot stuff up games.

User avatar
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: JOBBERS GET SQUASHED

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 pm

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
Scarlet Bro Hansen wrote:
Blow and shoot stuff up games.

......And?
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes

User avatar
zombiehead
Patient Zero
Posts: 24536
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: ny

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Image

User avatar
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: JOBBERS GET SQUASHED

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Yeah, I guess skyclun hates fun. :roll: He completely ignores the main point of my post was the game looks like something that would have kicked ass on the genesis/ turbo graphix 16 but was released on the fucking SMS during it's last days. He could have at least acknowledged that even if he hates shooters.
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes

User avatar
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 am

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Scarlet Bro Hansen wrote:Yeah, I guess skyclun hates fun. :roll: He completely ignores the main point of my post was the game looks like something that would have kicked ass on the genesis/ turbo graphix 16 but was released on the fucking SMS during it's last days. He could have at least acknowledged that even if he hates shooters.

I acknowledge nothing!

User avatar
copstache
Total Recluse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: http://420.moe/

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Granted that game came out in 1993 and by then those late era, post-snes NES games were looking good too. I think Kirby came out around then and some of the later mega man games.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.

User avatar
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13908
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:14 am

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 pm

So along with God of War III, I ordered a new controller. Customs thought the controller is some machine part (wtf!) and I had to send an email stating that it's for a game. Fucking christ. I just hope it gets here by the weekend...
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele

User avatar
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 am

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Just got my copy of GoW now. Hometime in a couple of hours = Woo!
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath

User avatar
Hunter
and friends
Posts: 3798
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:28 am
Location: BURST BEAT
Contact:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I beat Trine last week, and really enjoyed the whole thing up until the last level, at which point, the pacing it had established previously just went down the tubes. Overall, really cool.

I also finished Flower, which was a neat downloadable game, however, I'm not really sure it lives up to the hype. It does look great through, and controlled better than I had expected.

I've been playing some Afro Samurai, which is not bad. I enjoy the fighting for the most part, but when it introduces any sort of platforming, it falls flat and just pisses me off.

I keep going back to the Just Cause 2 demo for the hell of it. I think that game will be insane if I completely master that grappling mechanic.

Post Reply