Dumb things I've heard at work: The Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Post Reply
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.
Posts: 7310
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Wed May 27, 2009 9:06 am

I just overheard this:

If you gotta go more than three hours* to rehab, you better have some alcohol in the car

:drooly: does not start to describe it


*Pittsburghers like to describe distances in driving time
GuyIncognito
Fearless Undead Machines
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Various hideouts.

Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 am

Hellooo!


"Fuck you, Jerry! I'm going to blow this fucking place up!".

Crazy old lady I used to work in a factory that said this to the manager. On numerous occasions. She also threatened to blow the courthouse up.
Last edited by GuyIncognito on Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I always think of you as the first American ever to be into Folk Metal." - Kris Verwimp.
User avatar
delmuerte
The boss of you.
Posts: 7640
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 9:20 am

This happened earlier this year, and it is extremely nerdy. Title of the email (to everyone in that office) was "TO THE ASSHAT THAT TURNED OFF MY POWER."

Basically, the guy's machine was plugged into a non-working outlet and instead of checking that, he took his whole machine apart, took apart other machines to attempt to replace the part he thought was broken and was attempting to take it home before realized that he forgot to check the most likely issue.

And then wrote everyone about it describing, in detail, all of his dipshit efforts to fix the problem before he realized that it just wasn't on.
That was not cool! You just wasted 1.5 hours of my time. Why might you ask?

The non battery backuped ports still worked. This means my monitor (which was also plugged into the UPS) still worked which took my suspicion away from the UPS [uninterruptible power supply] .

First things first I luckily had my laptop so I set that up and got on jabber, etc.. so I could get work done.

Because it is such a PITA [pain in the ass] to bring my comp out here I wanted to figure out whether or not it was the most common problem of a comp not turning on (bad PSU [power supply]). I pulled a PSU out of one of the 2U machines that needed to be RMA'd to see if I could just buy a PSU on my way back home and bring it in tomorrow to fix the issue.

The 2U PSU didn't work. I figured that it could just be the PSU was dead and that might be the reason it was being RMA'd or maybe the server-class PSU didn't like my mobo so I decide to try out the PSU in hutches [another shitty former coworker] old dell (since he has mine now). That one didn't work either. Fearing the worse (motherboard/cpu and or other issues) I decided I should talk to the security guys to see if they will let me bring my comp out.

Bringing crap out of this building in the past has been a big hassle and the people who can sign shit out (not just guys from [our datacenter]) like aren't in until 10 AM and I didn't want to wait 2 hours after my shift. Luckily enough the security guy was cool and said I could bring the system out. So I lug it out to my car (its quite heavy) and come back to the NOC [network operations center]. It then dawned on me maybe it is something with the UPS. For shits and gigles I decided to change my monitor from the 'surge protected' outlet to one of the 'battery protected' outlets and sure enough it won't turn on. I then hit the power button just to find out it was turned off.

The UPS has an analog power button so this thing did not just turn off by itself. Whoever did this not only really pissed me off but also wasted at least 1.5 hours of my time from this whole ordeal. I hope you are happy with yourself!

I also don't like my system being shutdown without the file-systems being properly unmounted either!
One of the founders of the company responded with "He did provide a very good outline for 'steps to take when your computer does not turn on, though!', other than 'check if the computer is plugged in' being step 0."
Image
User avatar
Duke Fame
Sounds of the Animal Kingdom
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 am

Boss: Today is going so slow!
Me: (kidding) I'm just glad it's Friday. It is Friday, right?
Boss: Well, it's Friday somewhere.
Me: Um... It's only Wednesday where we're at. I'm prrrrrretty sure it isn't Friday anywhere on the planet right now.
Boss: You don't know that--there are undiscovered islands!



:drool:
User avatar
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000
Posts: 23424
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 am

[editorial comment] or did that dude not expect you guys to know what the fucking NOC is?
FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pm
from enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
User avatar
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.
Posts: 33105
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Decapitation Capital of Canaduh

Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

Overheard this:

"What do you call a Paki (somethingsomethingsomething)??? Shit on a stick!"

It's been a long time since I overheard most of a racist joke while on the clock...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Image
User avatar
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14173
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am
Location: forever in blue jeans
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 9:36 am

soiled depends wrote:Overheard this:

"What do you call a Paki (somethingsomethingsomething)??? Shit on a stick!"

It's been a long time since I overheard most of a racist joke while on the clock...
Pole vaulter?
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
User avatar
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.
Posts: 33105
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Decapitation Capital of Canaduh

Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 am

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
soiled depends wrote:Overheard this:

"What do you call a Paki (somethingsomethingsomething)??? Shit on a stick!"

It's been a long time since I overheard most of a racist joke while on the clock...
Pole vaulter?
Makes sense I suppose. But I thought it had to do with ice cream or something...maybe it was all just a dream...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Image
User avatar
BoraBora
Intercepting Fist
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Bora Bora

Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 am

Video store.

One woman:

"I don't wanna watch this one. It's not in English. It's got words on the bottom and you gotta read 'em."

Other woman:

"Well, it's better than reading a book."
worst troll ever, :tdown: - mithrandir
User avatar
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.
Posts: 33105
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Decapitation Capital of Canaduh

Wed May 27, 2009 9:52 am

BoraBora wrote:Video store.

One woman:

"I don't wanna watch this one. It's not in English. It's got words on the bottom and you gotta read 'em."

Other woman:

"Well, it's better than reading a book."
:drooly: :drooly: :drool: :drool:
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Image
User avatar
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14173
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am
Location: forever in blue jeans
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 am

'Tuna is not fish its meat, look its called tuna STEAK...that means its meat'...
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
User avatar
delmuerte
The boss of you.
Posts: 7640
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 am



Geeheeb wrote:[editorial comment] or did that dude not expect you guys to know what the fucking NOC is?
Image
User avatar
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13251
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am
Location: here. now.

Wed May 27, 2009 11:02 am

BoraBora wrote:Video store.

One woman:

"I don't wanna watch this one. It's not in English. It's got words on the bottom and you gotta read 'em."

Other woman:

"Well, it's better than reading a book."
Image
SHOOTME
DO THE DEW!
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 am

Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 am

A few months back we had an E-mail sent to the entire company from this bozo in the warehouse. He had a problem with another worker, and decided it was a good idea to call him out in an E-mail so everybody could read it and get involved. Needless to say, he was a dumbass and let go shortly after. Here is the E-mail he sent:

Subject: NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

FOR SOME REASON THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD THAT SEEM LIKE THEY ARE BETTER THAT OTHERS AND JUDGE PEOPLE BEFORE THEY EVEN KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT A PERSON OR A SITUATION. AND AS TIME GOES ON IT BEGINS TO CAUSE PROBLEMS OR EVEN PISS PEOPLE OFF THAT THEY FEEL LIKE CALLING THAT PERSON OUT ON THERE STUFF. I HAVE LEARNED IN MY 30 YEARS THAT IT IS GOOD TO TALK ABOUT THINGS BEFORE YOU ACT ON THEM BECAUSE IF I DON’T THEN I MAY DO SOMETHING I REGRET. I ALSO SEE THAT WE AS A COMPANY DON’T DESERVE TO BE DISRESPSCTED OR BEING TALKED ABOUT IN SUCH A MANNER THAT SOME MAY FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE EVEN WORKING HERE. THE REASON I SAY ALL THIS IS BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE AND SEE THAT OTHERS MAY HAVE A HARD TIME SAYING THINGS IN ORDER TO AVOID CONFRONTATION BECAUSE IT IS A WORK PLACE SO I WILL STEP OUT AND SAY IT MYSELF. IF YOU CHRIS HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MYSELF OR ANYONE HERE I WISH YOU WOULD HAVE THE BALLS TO SAY IT TO SOMEONES FACE BECAUSE ALL I SEE IS A COWARD WHO CAN’T BACK THE BULLCRAP YOU TALK. YOU MAY SAY ME A CRAP TALKER, WOW! ITS TRUE. BUT I DO REALIZE THAT WE AS PEOPLE ALWAYS DON’T SEE OUR STUFF THAT OTHERS MAY SEE. I HOPE YOU CAN COMPREHEND ALL THAT HAS BEEN SAID HERE BECAUSE I HOPE IT WILL MAKE AN IMPACT ON YOU AND HELP YOU TO CHANGE YOUR DISRESPECTFUL, ARROGANT WAYS YOU HAVE TOWARDS PEOPLE HERE. SO SINCE YOU DON’T HAVE A PROBLEM EXPRESSING YOU FEELINGS ALL THE TIME I GUESS I WILL TAKE THIS CHANCE MYSELF TO DO THE SAME. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!
Image
User avatar
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13251
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am
Location: here. now.

Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

Holy shit, that hurt my brain. That person is over 30?
SHOOTME wrote: YOU MAY SAY ME A CRAP TALKER, WOW!
Fuck.
SHOOTME
DO THE DEW!
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 am

Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am

MANTIS wrote:Holy shit, that hurt my brain. That person is over 30?
SHOOTME wrote: YOU MAY SAY ME A CRAP TALKER, WOW!
Fuck.
I may say that he's also a crap writer too, WOW!
Image
User avatar
THE KILL
Angry at the world, shaking fists!
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 am

MANTIS wrote:
BoraBora wrote:Video store.

One woman:

"I don't wanna watch this one. It's not in English. It's got words on the bottom and you gotta read 'em."

Other woman:

"Well, it's better than reading a book."
Image
Yeah that made my head hurt as well. I actually refuse to believe that there's scum on this planet that fucking retarded.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
User avatar
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13251
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am
Location: here. now.

Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

Seen Skycrawlers yet? It's out but I'm broke. Ack.
User avatar
St. Hillaire
The Forsaken Mourning of Angelic Anguish
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Crimebridge, Thrashachusetts

Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 pm

A customer looking at the ice cream prices asked me what size a pint was, pronouncing it so as to rhyme with Slint. I just said it was a "pine't", there was a long pause and she asked for a small cookies 'n cream.

I probably have much better customer stories, but fuck it.
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick
Posts: 5010
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:25 pm
Location: raging in hell
Contact:

Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm

A former boss once told me, "Let's clean this place up, so it actually looks like white people work here."

Also, at the same job, i had a co-worker give me the spiel about how there were no dinosaurs, God just put the fossils there to test us.
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
User avatar
Syringe in Mouth
DO THE DEW!
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:38 pm
Location: Florida, somewhere

Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Worked for an art school many months ago. Lady called up furious about our catalog over a nude painting one of the teachers made. Her exact words:

"This is unacceptable! Really, I can't believe you actually would print something like this. My 19 year old daughter saw it!"

:drool:
Image
User avatar
BoraBora
Intercepting Fist
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Bora Bora

Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

THE KILL wrote:
MANTIS wrote:
BoraBora wrote:Video store.

One woman:

"I don't wanna watch this one. It's not in English. It's got words on the bottom and you gotta read 'em."

Other woman:

"Well, it's better than reading a book."
Image
Yeah that made my head hurt as well. I actually refuse to believe that there's scum on this planet that fucking retarded.
And then I said:

"Thanks and that will be due back next Thursday by 6pm, Mrs. Thurber."
worst troll ever, :tdown: - mithrandir
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.
Posts: 7310
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Wed May 27, 2009 1:09 pm

OH SNAP
User avatar
Bored Sr.
New Member
Posts: 2099
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Wed May 27, 2009 1:16 pm

broböt wrote:This happened earlier this year, and it is extremely nerdy. Title of the email (to everyone in that office) was "TO THE ASSHAT THAT TURNED OFF MY POWER."

Basically, the guy's machine was plugged into a non-working outlet and instead of checking that, he took his whole machine apart, took apart other machines to attempt to replace the part he thought was broken and was attempting to take it home before realized that he forgot to check the most likely issue.

And then wrote everyone about it describing, in detail, all of his dipshit efforts to fix the problem before he realized that it just wasn't on.
That was not cool! You just wasted 1.5 hours of my time. Why might you ask?

The non battery backuped ports still worked. This means my monitor (which was also plugged into the UPS) still worked which took my suspicion away from the UPS [uninterruptible power supply] .

First things first I luckily had my laptop so I set that up and got on jabber, etc.. so I could get work done.

Because it is such a PITA [pain in the ass] to bring my comp out here I wanted to figure out whether or not it was the most common problem of a comp not turning on (bad PSU [power supply]). I pulled a PSU out of one of the 2U machines that needed to be RMA'd to see if I could just buy a PSU on my way back home and bring it in tomorrow to fix the issue.

The 2U PSU didn't work. I figured that it could just be the PSU was dead and that might be the reason it was being RMA'd or maybe the server-class PSU didn't like my mobo so I decide to try out the PSU in hutches [another shitty former coworker] old dell (since he has mine now). That one didn't work either. Fearing the worse (motherboard/cpu and or other issues) I decided I should talk to the security guys to see if they will let me bring my comp out.

Bringing crap out of this building in the past has been a big hassle and the people who can sign shit out (not just guys from [our datacenter]) like aren't in until 10 AM and I didn't want to wait 2 hours after my shift. Luckily enough the security guy was cool and said I could bring the system out. So I lug it out to my car (its quite heavy) and come back to the NOC [network operations center]. It then dawned on me maybe it is something with the UPS. For shits and gigles I decided to change my monitor from the 'surge protected' outlet to one of the 'battery protected' outlets and sure enough it won't turn on. I then hit the power button just to find out it was turned off.

The UPS has an analog power button so this thing did not just turn off by itself. Whoever did this not only really pissed me off but also wasted at least 1.5 hours of my time from this whole ordeal. I hope you are happy with yourself!

I also don't like my system being shutdown without the file-systems being properly unmounted either!
One of the founders of the company responded with "He did provide a very good outline for 'steps to take when your computer does not turn on, though!', other than 'check if the computer is plugged in' being step 0."
Reminds me of this:

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4401085
(totally insignificant) <--

"Endgame: underway." - Toilet Fleet

Image