Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:23 pm They talked about it at the end of the comic; I guess the pilot didn't get picked up so, no
Seems Doctor Strange's director is in charge of the pilot now.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

And what the fuck is this dopey broad going to do exactly... against King Kong... with a stick. She doesn't even have any triceps. Maybe, just maybe, I would believe 1980's Schwarzenegger or Stallone might have 1% chance of surviving a direct confrontation. See, this is why James Bond should never be a women. I hate stuff.

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

All The Punisher Vol. 2, War Journal and War Zone stuff - 6/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Didn't really stand up to time too well. I don't know why, but I remember there being better and more homegrown villains, but most good characters introduced were either killed within an issue or two, or brought in from another comic. My favourite stuff was when he was when it was just relentlessly grim and dark and mostly humourless, and their are brief stretches where you get that, but way too often he's a little too much like Spiderman, cracking wise and goofing off, which seemed totally out of character for a guy who tries to take down gangs and Mafiosos because his family was murdered. Speaking of, I remembered a whole lot more characters from The Marvel Universe showing up in these books for some reason, but really there's Wolverine for a few issues, Daredevil a couple of times, probably the best series of the comic with The Kingpin, Spidey and Cap America showing up for like THREE FUCKING PANELS, and then some real fuckin c-lister nobody villains. There's so many eye-rolling parts to these books too (like when he's BLACK for a few issues 😂😂😂) and not enough time on the bleak, driven MISSION. The Punisher MAX series absolutely buries even the best of the best stuff from these books.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Ha! I planned on doing that exact Punisher read through. I agree. All three series start strong but become 2 dimensional interchangeable stories for the majority of the run. Final Days is probably my favorite multi issue story arch despite the brilliant plastic surgeon turned crackhead hooker. The Jim Lee & Whilce Portacio runs are fond but fleeting memories. I hope they hold up.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Picking up my Saga Volume 2 HC this weekend so I can finally catch up.
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I've never really understood why people like the Punisher so much. He's basically a cool visual and that's it. It only ever works when he's basically used as a foil for a superhero, i.e. when he's put opposite Daredevil or Spider-Man to play through the old "why superheroes don't kill" theme. That's always been his purpose, and beyond that it's just a guy with guns and a skull on his chest. Garth Ennis wrote some amusing stuff for his first year because he's good at writing stories that just pointlessly revel in their gore and violence and making it entertaining, but he only really wanted to do 12 issues, and you could tell - it became dumb, boring and formulaic after that like all Punisher books inevitably do.

He's basically like Boba Fett in that he's this really badass character that is cool when he just shows up for a bit in someone else's story, but that's all he can really carry on his own.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

My last two iPhone wallpapers were The Punisher and Boba Fett.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 am I've never really understood why people like the Punisher so much. He's basically a cool visual and that's it. It only ever works when he's basically used as a foil for a superhero, i.e. when he's put opposite Daredevil or Spider-Man to play through the old "why superheroes don't kill" theme. That's always been his purpose, and beyond that it's just a guy with guns and a skull on his chest. Garth Ennis wrote some amusing stuff for his first year because he's good at writing stories that just pointlessly revel in their gore and violence and making it entertaining, but he only really wanted to do 12 issues, and you could tell - it became dumb, boring and formulaic after that like all Punisher books inevitably do.

He's basically like Boba Fett in that he's this really badass character that is cool when he just shows up for a bit in someone else's story, but that's all he can really carry on his own.
I'm of two minds about this, I think. I think you're going overboard in saying he's a cool visual and that's it, but that's probably intentional to hammer your point home. I think he has a passably cool origin/backstory, and I think there's a lot that can be done in his own book, but it definitely shouldn't be ongoing. The mini-series with clear conclusion suits him best, as a lone vigilante with no super powers murdering high-profile criminals for years on end strains the bounds of suspension of disbelief too far, and you end up with retarded story arcs like the VIGIL taskforce that can't find pussy in a whorehouse.

However, I don't think he's really that much worse than most Marvel characters in terms of ability to carry a story, or lack of immunity to extremely dumb storylines. Really, in my opinion, the ongoing comic isn't going to result in the best, most memorable stories; those almost always come from either the early part of that comic with a few bright spots in long stretches of dullness, or from stand-alone trades like some of the Punisher: Max books. Really, the very best comics are all ones that had definite, clear ends and didn't go on for a billion issues.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:30 am
spacehamster wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 am I've never really understood why people like the Punisher so much. He's basically a cool visual and that's it. It only ever works when he's basically used as a foil for a superhero, i.e. when he's put opposite Daredevil or Spider-Man to play through the old "why superheroes don't kill" theme. That's always been his purpose, and beyond that it's just a guy with guns and a skull on his chest. Garth Ennis wrote some amusing stuff for his first year because he's good at writing stories that just pointlessly revel in their gore and violence and making it entertaining, but he only really wanted to do 12 issues, and you could tell - it became dumb, boring and formulaic after that like all Punisher books inevitably do.

I'm of two minds about this, I think. I think you're going overboard in saying he's a cool visual and that's it, but that's probably intentional to hammer your point home. I think he has a passably cool origin/backstory, and I think there's a lot that can be done in his own book, but it definitely shouldn't be ongoing. The mini-series with clear conclusion suits him best, as a lone vigilante with no super powers murdering high-profile criminals for years on end strains the bounds of suspension of disbelief too far, and you end up with retarded story arcs like the VIGIL taskforce that can't find pussy in a whorehouse.

However, I don't think he's really that much worse than most Marvel characters in terms of ability to carry a story, or lack of immunity to extremely dumb storylines. Really, in my opinion, the ongoing comic isn't going to result in the best, most memorable stories; those almost always come from either the early part of that comic with a few bright spots in long stretches of dullness, or from stand-alone trades like some of the Punisher: Max books. Really, the very best comics are all ones that had definite, clear ends and didn't go on for a billion issues.
I completely agree . Double agree on Vigil. They were the reason I stopped collecting the Punisher in the 90's. I just could not give a shit. Anyway, a lot of the more recent Punisher volumes seem to have been mini-series in disguise. Ruckas' and the pre-Secret War run had obvious endings. Lobo is a great example of what you're talking about. I love the Lobo graphic novel/mini-series, but when they gave him his own series it was too much, yet not enough of what Lobo is about.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 am Lobo is a great example of what you're talking about. I love the Lobo graphic novel/mini-series, but when they gave him his own series it was too much, yet not enough of what Lobo is about.
I actually really liked the Lobo ongoing back in the day, but I also haven't read it since then and the various miniseries definitely were better than the ongoing.

Lobo's kind of a special case anyway. Keith Giffen never intended for the character to be popular, he was meant to be a parody of a character stereotype that Giffen hated and somehow people didn't get the joke and he became the most popular version of that stereotype. But it worked for me too. Lobo's Back is still one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Anyway, I agree in principle - I pretty much don't read any of the ongoing titles for characters that have been around for decades except temporarily like when Snyder/Capullo were doing Batman. It just doesn't work - stories need endings. And good writers can create interesting stories for any character - Daredevil was a second-rate Spider-Man until Frank Miller got his hands on him. But I really don't think there's much substance or anything interesting to the concept of the Punisher.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Punisher: POV #1-4 - 6.5/10 pretty goofy stand-alone, but enjoyable enough.
Punisher: Year One #1-4 - 8.5/10 Fantastic. This story is a perfect example of how wrong Mike is in saying there's no "substance" to the concept of The Punisher. Saying it's not interesting is fine, but there's clearly and objectively substance. Maybe not "bitten by a radioactive spider and your gay uncle dies" or "spaceship was hit with solar rays and now you're a rockthing and I'm stretchy" or "bombarded with gamma rays and now when I get mad I get dumb and hit things" substance, but it's there..
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 pm Punisher: Year One #1-4 - 8.5/10 Fantastic. This story is a perfect example of how wrong Mike is in saying there's no "substance" to the concept of The Punisher.
So what's the book about? I don't think I've read anything by Abnett and Lanning, or at least nothing I remember as standing out.

The thing is, like I said, a good writer can come up with interesting stories about just about any character, and I'm sure there's an angle you can take with the Punisher that makes him interesting, but all I've ever read has been, criminals killed my family, so now I kill criminals, and that's a-okay because blam blam sploshuns and also I have a skull on my chest. If there's a Punisher book out there that has more depth than that, great, but I'd like to know what it is that makes it interesting.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

must find!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

There's a What If ? collection that you could probably find to torrent without much difficulty

The Punisher Vol. 3 #1-12 - 6/10

Tries pretty hard to be edgy for a book that can't have cuss words in it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I have that Punisher/Venom What If?

Vol 3 is the series with ponytail Punisher, right? I refused to ever get those. To be fair, I had stopped getting anything but Image at that point & even then that was dwindling. I think Vol 4 is Ennis. So, Marvel Knights is the gap between. I tried reading that once & it is unspeakably awful & insulting like Frankenpunisher. I recommend skipping it.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Vol 3 was Ennis, no ponytail I don't think.. ? I read a series with ponytail Punisher -- I don't think that was it but I could be wrong. They're starting to blur together.

I'm already 25 issues into Vol 4 and it's no different than Vol 3, and follows the same story. Not really sure why they segregated them, but it's the Marvel Knights one (whatever that is, first I've heard of it).

That miniseries where Frank is an agent of heaven is so fucking stupid :lol:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

According to my download folders Vol 3 is the aftermath of the Nick Fury debacle and Frank is being forced to work with a mafia family. And he has a ponytail and is called Marvel Edge. This was still the 90's. After that there's a Marvel Knights series where we works for angels. Then Vol 4 is Ennis with Welcome Back Frank. Vol 5 is more of the same and does call itself Marvel Knights once again. I'm not sure it's cannon to the proper Marvel Universe due to what he does to Wolverine. Not labeled as a Volume are the Punisher Max series which are also not cannon, but rule. Then there's another Punisher Max separate from that which centers around Bullseye and Kingpin. Vol 6 is cannon as it involves Norman Osborne & the hood.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm the Marvel Knights one (whatever that is, first I've heard of it).
Marvel Knights was a separate imprint they started in the late 90s after they'd filed for bankruptcy. Basically they handed a few characters over to Joe Quesada and his company Event Comics and said, go crazy. One of the books that came out of it was Kevin Smith writing Daredevil, and there were a couple others. It went so well that Quesada became editor in chief at Marvel later, so it's kind of a big deal.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

retails $120, paid $30 new from amazon. for all the fucking issues of Wizard I poured over in the early nineties it feels a bit fitting.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

That cover looks like it's supposed to be a parody. CABLE'S FEET ARE HIDDEN. FUCK.

Seriously, I don't usually play the "let's still be mad about Rob Liefeld 25 years later" game, but holy fartin' shit.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Ha! His art sticks out like a tumor.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Punisher Vol. 4 - 6/10
The Bill wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 pm According to my download folders Vol 3 is the aftermath of the Nick Fury debacle and Frank is being forced to work with a mafia family. And he has a ponytail and is called Marvel Edge. This was still the 90's. After that there's a Marvel Knights series where we works for angels. Then Vol 4 is Ennis with Welcome Back Frank. Vol 5 is more of the same and does call itself Marvel Knights once again. I'm not sure it's cannon to the proper Marvel Universe due to what he does to Wolverine. Not labeled as a Volume are the Punisher Max series which are also not cannon, but rule. Then there's another Punisher Max separate from that which centers around Bullseye and Kingpin. Vol 6 is cannon as it involves Norman Osborne & the hood.
I'm sure you're right about which volumes are which, but the way I have them labeled is Vol. 2 obviously the long running main title, War Journal, and War Zone; Vol. 3 is the Ennis shit with the introduction of Detective Soap heading up the Punisher Tash Force and ending with him as commissioner, Vol. 4 is just a continuation of that story, still Ennis, still entirely the same pros and cons as Vol. 3. Then Vol. 5 is just the Max books. The Avenging Angel Punisher was in there but not marked as a volume, and I didn't see any books featuring Green Goblin.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Vol 6 gets a little silly because Frank deals with a lot of super villains. Scrub villains, but still super powered. He does such a good job that he gets targeted in a stand alone called Dark Reign. This is post Civil War 1 & Skrull Invasion where Osborne becomes head of SHIELD. After that is Frankencastle. Lord help us all. Vol 7 is Ruckas run and I really liked that despite the Punisher looking like Big Boss from Metal Gear. Vol 8 is just alright with The Punisher in California. 9 is the current run.

Oh, after Civil War there's a Vol 2 of War Journal that has heavy inclusion with the Marvel Universe. He even becomes Captain America for like 2 issues. It's stupid & it's absolutely canon :( .
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

wrong thread :oops:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Saga - 7.5
Cool comics, but this is gonna make such bad TV someday.

Powers: Bureau & Powers v5 1-7: 8.5
Still one of my favorite titles. Always love the Gora stuff. Had no idea there was a TV series, just downloaded both seasons.