Musicians here....

Music posts are a bannable offense.
cold radiance
DO THE DEW!

Musicians here....

Post by cold radiance »

How often do you listen to your own music? Does it help, say, going to sleep, soothing, is it a source of anxiety? Can you listen to your older stuff?
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Re: Musicians here....

Post by John Jr. »

i dont write music i'm not into, but going back to listen to older stuff can certainly bring the lols.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

I listen to my old 4-track punk band alot still to this day and play it for people. I'm going back to keeping it simple, I can't listen to any CDs or 7s I've played on with other bands because it brings nothing but shitty memories back on my how much I fucking hated the people I was with, where I was living, the idiot music scene, can't do it. I really can't wait to do another band however. It will be more recording based but I do miss playing shows. I dunno, keep playing I guess.
inglebert humperdink
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by inglebert humperdink »

sometimes I can break out a cd-r with some songs I wrote and still be like "woah! I did that?"

I guess it just amazes me a little that I can be somewhat creative/expressive, if I actually put my dick away, and put my mind to it.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

I often listen to music in a passive setting - whilst doing other focused activities like house chores / reading / feeding the pythons so it's tough to remain focused when my own stuff is being played.
Lord Beguile
JOSH

Post by Lord Beguile »

It's like 60/40, my own and others. I wrote an essay explaining how and why and then deleted it because no one gives a shit.
Bored013 wrote:I've spoke to a few girls after they've been raped...there is of course the pain, the violence, the degradation...but there is also the question. "Why did he leave?"
hana maru wrote:..i've dealt with tiny dicked men pounding on my girl parts for minutes at a time.
E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

all the damn time

most of the stuff i record now are extended semi-ambient pieces, so on top of just listening to it for the sake of listening to my own music, it's pretty good background stuff, lol
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

I keep some in my iPod , and if it comes up on shuffle, I listen. But I never go out of my way to listen to listen to old recordings, unless it's unfinished demos.
inglebert humperdink
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by inglebert humperdink »

but to answer the original question.

I don't listen to my stuff that often... if ever (depending on how old it is).
Eight Foot Manchild
Certified False.

Post by Eight Foot Manchild »

Whenever I have something new mixed, I tend to listen the fuck out of it for a few days. It's a sort of ritual of self-congratulation, I suppose.
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick

Post by CHUFFED beyond necropsy »

According to my Last.fm chart, far too often.....

Really though, i often find myself listening to recent recordings, to see how happy i am with them. The last recording my old band did, i was totally stoked on at first. But after a few listens, i started finding things that could be improved. So did the other guys, so we ended up re-mixing it, and it came out a lot better. Another recording where i was kinda not into the final product at first, after a few listens i was okay with it. Occasionally i'll bust out some older stuff, mostly for nostalgia.

A few people i've been in bands with will play our stuff for anyone they can get into a room with a stereo. Gets kind of old to be around real quick. Ha.
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

Often enough. I am genuinely stoked on the stuff we record, so I like listening to it. Also, it gives me a chance to stay familiar with it when we aren't playing the songs for a while during new song writing, and it let's me find little themes we repeat to stay away from.
http://failed.bandcamp.com
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:i would so slap on a strap on and rape his ass.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

None of the music I've ever made has been really "good", but the earliest stuff is still fun to listen to every once in a while, just because I can hear how driven I was, and how much passion I had for whatever stupid project at the time. This is a zero-budget demo. I mailed that tape to you, Bored! Least listen-to-able is the same band's later stuff that involved studio time, and was all the more agitating for sucking considering the input effort. Frustrating.

I have my bedroom lifemetal shit in progress now, and that's a lot of fun to listen to because if something bothers me, I can make it better. So yeah, I listen to that stuff a lot - perpetual work in progress! I've got so much to learn about music and I'm not too inherently talented... if I produce something one decent song before I die I'll consider it an accomplishment.

Back to original topic, I have one acoustic guitar lullaby thing that I do find soothing, so yes to that. Again, work in progress :wink:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

I listened to an old band I used to be in about a year ago. I remember it being about a year since I'd listened to it until that moment. I fucking loved it. Listened to it twice. Even louder the second time. Haven't thought about it since...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

Never.
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

band i'm in now will approve the final mix of 8 new songs today. i will listen to this recording non-stop for about a week straight before filing it away with the rest of the old stupid CDr collection...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

I'm recording riffs into a cassette recorder, roughin it

you do tend keep lots of notes however taking the primitive approach
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

I listen to about 5 mins of my old band and that`s more than enough for about a year.
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

chris narcosis wrote:I listen to about 5 mins of my old band and that`s more than enough for about a year.

musicians, NOT hacks....

Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

chris narcosis wrote:I listen to about 5 mins of my old band and that`s more than enough for about a year.
You can make it longer than most can... sounds like you're a pretty big fan.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

Necrometer wrote:
You can make it longer than most can... sounds like you're a pretty big fan.

Hey Ross! You queer cunt!!!!

I thought you were gonna quit the board!??!

You faggot!!!!
crunchermcnut
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by crunchermcnut »

Rarely. Maybe once a year I'll get drunk and nostalgic and throw some on.
My old band is doing a reunion show after 5+ years so I've listened to some of that recently.
The Wages of Ben
INSIDE FISH STICKS, OUTSIDE TARTAR SAUCE

Post by The Wages of Ben »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Black Jacques wrote:fuck that man. I'm not messin' with no giant corn...
dreweq wrote:clasping em like they were pages of the pelican brief she was gonna use to solve a fuckin nancy drew murder mystery or something.
ImageImage
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

crunchermcnut wrote:Rarely. Maybe once a year I'll get drunk and nostalgic and throw some on.
My old band is doing a reunion show after 5+ years so I've listened to some of that recently.
doin' anything off please do not resist? :?:

crunchermcnut
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by crunchermcnut »

haha. no.