Moving across the Country

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Moving across the Country

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

So I was talking to my cousin last night who lives in California. I'm pretty sure I'm ditching Va and moving out there with him. I'm going to be purging my personal possessions and only taking my base stuff with me. I've never done anything like this before so I'm looking for some advice on how to handle it. I'll be driving and trying to fit what I want to take with me in my car.

My cousin lives near San Francisco so I'm assuming it's a pretty nice place to live. I'm kind of excited about going out there.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Re: Moving across the Country

Post by caldwell.the.great »

awesome. northern california is great. any idea where around san francisco you'll be? it's pretty diverse up that way.

get rid of/pack whatever stuff you need to, throw a cooler in the front seat, bring some good tunes, and enjoy the country. it'll be a beautiful drive.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
cold radiance
DO THE DEW!

Post by cold radiance »

caldwell.the.great wrote:awesome. northern california is great. any idea where around san francisco you'll be? it's pretty diverse up that way.

get rid of/pack whatever stuff you need to, throw a cooler in the front seat, bring some good tunes, and enjoy the country. it'll be a beautiful drive.
Ah, California. Serial Killer Central.
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

I moved to this country with 2 suitcases.
Took my favorite things only.
The money I made by selling my stuff helped me buy new clothes and toiletries once I arrived.

It was a crazy experience, I had to start from scratch but incredibly liberating.
At least you're staying in the same country, I had to do all this paperwork for work, driver's license, ID, Social Security...

Too many people hang out to old memories and stuff that keep them away from fresh starts.
That's one of the best things I've ever done for myself.
Enjoy it.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I'm doing the same in about two weeks here... it's coming close to crunch time where I have to decide what gets trashed or not. Do I really want/need these hundreds of CDs I almost never break out? I think it's going to be a pretty massive purge... you can download fucking anything in two minutes now.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Whiffleball Ace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Whiffleball Ace »

Don't take anything. Arrive naked.
rebirth.
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

omigod its like so progressive and open minded therrrre!!!!
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

cold radiance wrote:
caldwell.the.great wrote:awesome. northern california is great. any idea where around san francisco you'll be? it's pretty diverse up that way.

Ah, California. Serial Killer Central.

I asked my cousin how far from San Quenton he lived, I figured I could stop in and tell Richie hello.

He's in a city called Burlingame. He said I can stay with his wife while I get on my feet. Any thoughts on what to look for as far as work's concerned out there?
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

cold radiance
DO THE DEW!

Post by cold radiance »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Any thoughts on what to look for as far as work's concerned out there?
Forensic investigator.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

cold radiance wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Any thoughts on what to look for as far as work's concerned out there?
Forensic investigator.

That would make my dick hard to do some CSI stuff like that. If it comes down to it I could always go back to the Post Office out there. Delivering mail in that climate would probably be aces.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

I live near Burlingame. This part of the Bay is pretty lame/boring. It's mostly suburbs trying to pretend to be a bunch of small quaint towns. Nice if you're into that sort of thing. Burlingame is CalTrain accessible and not far from the BART station so it's pretty easy to get up to SF for the day if you wanted.

It's near Silicon Valley, so there are jobs in tech if you have those kinds of killer skillz. Otherwise, California has above-average unemployment and is a generally more expensive place to live. There are jobs out there for sure, but it might take a little bit of time.
cold radiance
DO THE DEW!

Post by cold radiance »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:If it comes down to it I could always go back to the Post Office out there. Delivering mail in that climate would probably be aces.
http://www.amazon.com/Post-Office-Charl ... 0876850867
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote: I've never done anything like this before
Shelve your Cali plans and understand that life is hard enough when you belong there.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Necrometer wrote:I'm doing the same in about two weeks here... it's coming close to crunch time where I have to decide what gets trashed or not. Do I really want/need these hundreds of CDs I almost never break out? I think it's going to be a pretty massive purge... you can download fucking anything in two minutes now.
Do you know where you're moving? I've heard finding a place in Berkeley blows.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:I live near Burlingame. This part of the Bay is pretty lame/boring. It's mostly suburbs trying to pretend to be a bunch of small quaint towns. Nice if you're into that sort of thing. Burlingame is CalTrain accessible and not far from the BART station so it's pretty easy to get up to SF for the day if you wanted.

It's near Silicon Valley, so there are jobs in tech if you have those kinds of killer skillz. Otherwise, California has above-average unemployment and is a generally more expensive place to live. There are jobs out there for sure, but it might take a little bit of time.

I have skillz but no certs. It being lame or boring would suck but it's a free place to stay while I get situated so I can't complain about it to much.

cold radiance wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:If it comes down to it I could always go back to the Post Office out there. Delivering mail in that climate would probably be aces.
http://www.amazon.com/Post-Office-Charl ... 0876850867
I read the book but I did ten years there too.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

What state are you living in now?

Neverming, Viriginia lol.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

sell absolutely everything you can't carry with you. you can always get more stuff.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

DeadWalrus wrote:sell absolutely everything you can't carry with you. you can always get more stuff.

I actually don't own a lot as it is. I have stuff in storage but I haven't needed it for a few years so as soon as this snow melts and I can get to my unit it's all gone. I look around my bedroom which holds anything I could consider "important" right now and it's not a lot.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Do you know where you're moving? I've heard finding a place in Berkeley blows.
Really? Blows how? There are so many listings on craigslist... maybe I am too optimistic in assuming that I will be able to secure one of them? I don't have any problem living in the North part of Oakland. Also, some chick I know from C-bus has coincidentally ended up looking for a place near SF (she just got there) so I think she might end up doing the legwork. We'll see... Maybe finding a reasonably-priced place is the thing that blows - rent is pretty out of control.
HASHTHRASH
I hate your life.

Post by HASHTHRASH »

Necrometer wrote:
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Do you know where you're moving? I've heard finding a place in Berkeley blows.
Really? Blows how? There are so many listings on craigslist... maybe I am too optimistic in assuming that I will be able to secure one of them? I don't have any problem living in the North part of Oakland. Also, some chick I know from C-bus has coincidentally ended up looking for a place near SF (she just got there) so I think she might end up doing the legwork. We'll see... Maybe finding a reasonably-priced place is the thing that blows - rent is pretty out of control.
North Oakland is pretty good. Look in the Temescal / Piedmont area in particular. Telegraph / College Aves are good, but I'd avoid looking between Shattuck and San Pablo. I lived in the Downtown Oakland / Lake Merrit area for 9 years, that area was real nice. One of the guys in Conifer took a picture of my old neighborhood from across the lake:

Zerohero wrote: i remember when Cave paPpY sent me some wooden MP1's

http://www.killthatcat.com
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Thanks for the info, man! Me & chick were thinking about Piedmont so far - glad to hear that's not the #1 rape-neighborhood... unless that's why you recommended it :(
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

norcal is cool. don't do socal. unless you want to go on vacation, in that case it rules.

also prepare for west coast culture shock. watch what you say, they don't understand sarcasm and will become offended very easily even if the tone of your voice is perceptively jovial (to east coasters).
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

Piedmont is a different city, Ross. Total snobville. They don't want to be Oakland.
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I don't want to be Oakland...
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

You will be Oakland, motherfucker...