Professor Openly Accuses Student of Being FBI Informant

Music posts are a bannable offense.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Professor Openly Accuses Student of Being FBI Informant

Post by father of lies »

BRITTON DICKS IS A PIG, GUYS

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... n_por.html

A bizarre blowup between a professor and a student in a Portland State University classroom recently has sent ripples of concern and curiosity through the campus.

It also has prompted the student, openly accused by the professor of being an FBI informant and a killer, to hire a prominent local civil rights attorney, and led the university to launch an investigation into the educator. The school has taken the unusual step of stripping the tenured professor of his teaching responsibilities while it conducts its inquiry.

Meanwhile, others at PSU are divided along two lines: Those who think the professor did the right thing, if in an unorthodox way; and those who think his actions were strange and out of line.

Some questions remain unanswered: Why would a tenured professor choose to openly confront a student he viewed as dangerous; and what does the situation mean for the student, who has not been charged with a crime, yet is said to have offered to teach others how to make Molotov cocktails and buy assault rifles.

Professor John Hall has not taught on campus since Jan. 14, when, during a comparative economics course, he accused a 30-year-old student of being an FBI informant and threatened to place posters of him around campus. Depending on the outcome of the internal inquiry, Hall could face a range of sanctions, including termination, said Scott Gallagher, communications director for PSU. Gallagher did not know when the inquiry would be completed.

The Oregonian made several attempts to reach Hall, who has taught at the university for 25 years, but he didn’t return messages. However, Phil Lesch, executive director for the Portland State chapter of the American Association of University Professors, defended Hall and said by e-mail Friday that Hall had asked him to act as his spokesman. The association is the union that represents faculty members.

PSU student Brett Condron, 20, who is studying German, was in class that day. He said about 40 students witnessed the confrontation between Hall and the student.

Condron said with about 30 minutes left in class, Hall made a dramatic announcement: An FBI informant was enrolled in the class. He talked about his experience with government informants in East Germany, then identified the student as Zach Bucharest.

Hall put a letter detailing his accusations on the overhead projector so the class could read it. Condron said Hall then handed Bucharest a packet to give to “his superiors.”

“And then he proceeded to say a lot of unpleasant things about Bucharest,” Condron said. For instance, he said, Hall called Bucharest a killer and said that he had the “spirit of Cain and the spirit of Judas.”

During the confrontation, Condron said, Hall snapped a digital photo of Bucharest and said that if “he ever saw him on campus again, he would plaster his photo and copies of his photos all over campus and tell everybody who he was.”

Condron said Bucharest was stoic and silent as Hall lashed out at him. Afterward, Bucharest defended himself, then walked out.

The Oregonian tried to talk to Bucharest multiple times but his attorney, Elden Rosenthal, advised his client against talking to reporters.

In one of two statements Bucharest released through Rosenthal, the student said he has admired Hall and “cannot imagine what I did or said to cause him to treat me the way he did.”

Another student in Hall’s class is Daniel Dreier, a 26-year-old economics major. He was among those who had earlier become concerned about Bucharest’s behavior.

He said at a winter term Economics Department party in December, Bucharest told a campus activist how to make a particularly effective Molotov cocktail. Dreier said Bucharest also offered to act as a middleman to help students buy military style rifles — AR-15s or AK-47s — through a gun dealer he knew in Washington and that he had access to machine guns.

In a second interview, Dreier said that Bucharest frequently told stories about confrontations involving guns and said that Bucharest had shown him a gun that he carries on campus.

Meanwhile, Lesch, the union representative, confirmed that Hall confronted Bucharest in front of the class, but did so solely out of concern for the safety of his students and the community. Lesch said Hall’s actions came after other students went to Hall with concerns that Bucharest was trying to “create a cabal of students on campus oriented toward violence.”

“There were some students who ended up being very upset but there were also students who were grateful” to Hall for confronting Bucharest, Lesch said.

He said previously a group of eight students that Hall had been advising came to him with concerns about Bucharest.

They told Hall that Bucharest “was trying to get them interested in shooting and blowing things up — all kinds of weapons, not just rifles, illegal weapons,” Lesch said. “They were scared. They had a close relationship with Professor Hall and they brought it to his attention.”

Asked why Hall didn’t go to authorities with his concerns, Lesch said Hall had extensive experience with school bureaucracy and “did not feel like taking this to campus safety was the right way to go.”

Lesch added in an e-mail that in Hall’s years at PSU, “There have been a number of occasions where his personal safety has been threatened … Hall reported these incidents through proper channels at the time, but the university either did nothing to address his concerns or dismissed his reports outright.

University officials could not be reached late Friday for response to Hall’s perception of campus security.

“In addition,” Lesch said Friday in an e-mail, “several of Professor Hall’s students, in expressing their concerns about Bucharest, conveyed that Bucharest boasted on a number of occasions about a ’special’ relationship with campus public safety, which suggested that they might not take any complaint about him seriously.”

“Unfortunately, he ended up doing something that was very public and inflammatory and now his career is on the line,” Lesch said. “He ended up doing this knowing he could face personal negative consequences. He thought it was the most immediate way of resolving what he thought was a potential threat.”

Bucharest has been a PSU student since 2006, and a member of student government since 2009.

“Mr. Bucharest … is not and never has been an FBI agent, or an FBI informant,” Rosenthal wrote in a statement to The Oregonian.

The FBI in Portland confirmed last month, then again Thursday, that Bucharest is not an informant for the bureau.

“The suggestion that Mr. Bucharest in any way has tried to incite violence, or illegal activity, is false,” Rosenthal wrote. “The suggestion that Mr. Bucharest in any way has threatened any PSU student is false. Mr. Bucharest is disheartened that Professor Hall’s union representative is making inflammatory public statements, rather than letting the PSU investigation run its course.”

In a previous statement through Rosenthal, Bucharest said, “I truly hope that the university will take steps to clear my name.”

Hall has fans among his students at the downtown university, among them 23-year-old senior Allison Faris, who has spent five years as a college student in the United States and France.

“I would definitely classify him as one of the top five lecturers I’ve ever had in a university setting,” said Faris, who is studying French and English. “I’ve never studied economics, and he actually made the subject accessible. He contextualized it, and he made it just very fascinating.”
fvkk
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Professor Openly Accuses Student of Being FBI Informant

Post by zzzzzzzz »

I was gonna post the poster for an 80s movie about Dustin Hoffman playing a cop posing as a student to take down some drug ring or some shit but it turns out Dustin Hoffman wasn't in this movie and I can't remember the title.
death by snoo snoo
I sure do have a lot of posts, lol.

Post by death by snoo snoo »

Nice.

Also...
John Jr. wrote:grind up some magnesium to put in your molotovs and they'll re-light themselves!. also, throw in some strips of tire......
:what:
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

sounds like he was an informant
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

zzzzzzzz wrote:I was gonna post the poster for an 80s movie about Dustin Hoffman playing a cop posing as a student to take down some drug ring or some shit but it turns out Dustin Hoffman wasn't in this movie and I can't remember the title.
I'll do you one better my friend...
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

haha, my favourite part of that was the media treating it like "shocking allegations !" like they've never heard of cointelpro

but that was in the US ! :roll:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Scumfucker
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Scumfucker »

If they drug tested the teacher, he would come up positive for meth.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

Wang Mandu wrote:
zzzzzzzz wrote:I was gonna post the poster for an 80s movie about Dustin Hoffman playing a cop posing as a student to take down some drug ring or some shit but it turns out Dustin Hoffman wasn't in this movie and I can't remember the title.
I'll do you one better my friend...
no, I one up you!

but seriously, what is the fucking name of that 80s movie? the whole movie the undercover cop student is getting beat up by jocks and at the end he shoots his drug lord teacher in the head in front of his class and all the jocks look fucking horrified, I swear to fuck that was Dustin Hoffman...

edit: look how small Treat's gun is compared to Tom's and note the placement
edit2: Treat Williams looks more like Johnny Cash than that pencil sharpened faced faggot they got to play in that Hollywood Jews Pretend They Understand Poor/workingclass Hick And Nigger Culture movie
Last edited by zzzzzzzz on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degree Absolute
DO THE DEW!

Post by Degree Absolute »

Treat don't need no big ass gun!
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Yeah, this Hall guy might just be off his rocker but the history of the FBI doesn't really give me the warm fuzzies either. With the shennanigans that we know about, I can only imagine all the stuff we don't know about.

When I was at UCLA, a student working with the Students for Academic Freedom (David Horowitz's organization) were offering money to students who recorded professors making comments deemed "leftist." Not a government conspiracy, but also not a really productive academic environment. There are reasons that professors feel paranoid about their students.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Yeah, he certainly could just be insane, but the fact is, the prof could very well be right. And if that's the case, he's RAD AS FUCK.

May I quote RAW? I think so.

"Everyone try to spot the narcs. They're the ones dressed like hippies."
fvkk
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR
Threads Endlessly Scrolled

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

Bucharest told a campus activist how to make a particularly effective Molotov cocktail.
its a glass bottle filled with gasoline/flammable fluid stopped with a rag.....how else do you make it more "effective" its suppose to be a cheap and easy to make flame-bomb.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:There are reasons that professors feel paranoid about their students.
this is a good thing.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

death by snoo snoo wrote:Nice.

Also...
John Jr. wrote:grind up some magnesium to put in your molotovs and they'll re-light themselves!. also, throw in some strips of tire......
(stoic and silent)
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman

John Jr. wrote:
death by snoo snoo wrote:Nice.

Also...
(stoic and silent)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... zmap=66560

DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Hall called Bucharest a killer and said that he had the “spirit of Cain and the spirit of Judas.”
oh schizophrenia, why do you love the bible so?
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

i want to read the letter he put on the overhead projector

e: here's the snitch: