closed headphones?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

closed headphones?

Post by Wehttam »

Looking to get a good set of closed studio headphones for mixing, recording, etc...etc.....for another point of referencing. Too many to choose from. My budget is around $200, but if there are some good ones for cheaper, I'm in. Looking for suggestions or a link to a previous thread regarding this.

I've already gone to Harmony Central for references, but interested in what people use here.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: closed headphones?

Post by Necrometer »

Mine (which are the same as what Bored will inevitably post) are falling apart, with the plastic coating flaking off the earpads. So thanks for this thread, because this flaking might have dire consequences...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Necrometer wrote:Mine (which are the same as what Bored will inevitably post) are falling apart, with the plastic coating flaking off the earpads. So thanks for this thread, because this flaking might have dire consequences...
Ha! But yeah...with $200 you can get some really nice ones. I've been using these for two years:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=242417

I love them. They're cheap as hell but they work fine for me. If you have the $$$ definitely get a really good pair, though.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Wehttam »

no probs....I'm thinking Geeheeb, or Hashthrash might have some suggestions regarding this, but there has to be more than just those 2 that have good headphones here.

edit...wow...those are cheap. I'm thinking those would be worth it to pick up a second pair for referencing.
Last edited by Wehttam on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Grado SR225i for mixing, or some of the other prestige or reference series. Don't try to mix on closed headphones.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs ... rado&B1=go

Get some Extreme Isolation EX-25 for recording loud stuff. They are around $60 new and much less used, sound better than say a Sony MDR 7506 (too bright, only good for playback to impress cheese metal and rap clients).
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
maxwax
Defiance of the Ugly by the Merely Repul

Post by maxwax »

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guid ... studio.php

I've had my sennheiser hd280's for at least 4 years and I wear them all day long listening to music. I did have the rma them after the first 9 months of use because of the typical cracking headband problem. But they've been great since. I hear the sony V6 are great (not the V600).

lifestyle...
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

What speakers are you using? What does your room look like? I think that no matter what someone is doing the order of importance for recording should be this:

1) Treat your room. Build lots of broadband absorbers and put them in as many places as you can. $200 spent on insulation, wood, and fabric is like spending $1500 on speakers.

2) Get the best used PASSIVE speakers and amp you can. Don't buy speakers that are meant to be studio monitors, they sound hyped and you get ripped off. Try a used Bowers and Wilkins 600 series with a 80s yamaha amp, or something better.

One the room sounds good and you know your speakers don't worry about headphone mixing.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

Geeheeb wrote:...sound better than say a Sony MDR 7506 (too bright, only good for playback to impress cheese metal and rap clients).

Hey, asshole!
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

maxwax wrote:sennheiser hd280's
Yeah, I was going to try those next...I've only read good things.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Geeheeb wrote: Get some Extreme Isolation EX-25 for recording loud stuff. They are around $60 new and much less used, sound better than say a Sony MDR 7506 (too bright, only good for playback to impress cheese metal and rap clients).
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=241728

?

I've never even heard of these...very cool.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

yo mang all I'z sayin is, if you doin vocal tracks, an whoeva scrarimin all loud n shit can't hurh da muziq cause dem headphones all weak n shit, u gonna have problems
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

you don't want to mix on closed back headphones. grado makes good stuff :tup:
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Wehttam »

Geeheeb wrote:What speakers are you using? What does your room look like? I think that no matter what someone is doing the order of importance for recording should be this:

1) Treat your room. Build lots of broadband absorbers and put them in as many places as you can. $200 spent on insulation, wood, and fabric is like spending $1500 on speakers.

2) Get the best used PASSIVE speakers and amp you can. Don't buy speakers that are meant to be studio monitors, they sound hyped and you get ripped off. Try a used Bowers and Wilkins 600 series with a 80s yamaha amp, or something better.

One the room sounds good and you know your speakers don't worry about headphone mixing.
I'm rebuilding my studio right now....., it will be a while...I need to get some shit done and looking for temporary alternatives. that's my problem. I would never mix with just headphones. I do a main mix with my rk6s and infinity towers and infinity bookshelf speakers running through two different JVC amps, and an old tube amp receiver....shit rules on that thing......and then use headphones for referencing when listening. I also reference both of my vehicles stereos. I like making sure it sounds great everywhere.

and will need some headphones in the future when the studio is done for performance.

will look into the Grado stuff.

edit: thanks Geeheeb.
Last edited by Wehttam on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Wehttam »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
Geeheeb wrote: Get some Extreme Isolation EX-25 for recording loud stuff. They are around $60 new and much less used, sound better than say a Sony MDR 7506 (too bright, only good for playback to impress cheese metal and rap clients).
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=241728

?

I've never even heard of these...very cool.
sounds like a decent pair of headphones, but what's with the headband? Every reviewer said they had to replace the headband around the year mark...haha
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

The headband sheds because its cheap shit. Its not like it doesn't work anymore.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

worsethanuseless wrote:
Geeheeb wrote:...sound better than say a Sony MDR 7506 (too bright, only good for playback to impress cheese metal and rap clients).

Hey, asshole!
Video dudes love 7506s. This thread isn't about video dudes.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Wehttam »

Geeheeb wrote:
worsethanuseless wrote:

Hey, asshole!
Video dudes love 7506s. This thread isn't about video dudes.
this is very true. when I worked at CBC TV and radio that's all they had. The recording engineers wouldn't touch them unless it was an emergency..
worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

Wehttam wrote:
Geeheeb wrote:Video dudes love 7506s. This thread isn't about video dudes.
this is very true. when I worked at CBC TV and radio that's all they had. The recording engineers wouldn't touch them unless it was an emergency..
Every studio I've recorded in used the 7506s for tracking. Need to stop recording cheese metal...
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar