Weird fiction/Lovecraft nerds - help

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Weird fiction/Lovecraft nerds - help

Post by Green Chamber »

I'm working on designing some album art. The project itself is sort of retro-industrial, having nothing musically or conceptually to do with weird fiction at all, but we've been throwing some titles around, and we're thinking about going with "Policies and Principles of the People's Republic of Carcosa" as the name of a demo.

The idea I have so far is a sort of nationalist-looking diagram which incorporates an imagined version of the 'yellow sign' from The King in Yellow and all the subsequent works that reference it. Since this isn't described in the original material, I was wondering if anyone had seen or knew of any particular depiction of it that they could share.

I personally find most of the after-the-fact Lovecraft mythology and culture a bit lame and uninspired, so I'm not particularly well versed in it. I'm wondering if that prejudice has caused me to overlook any artwork or description that I'd find useful here. I've poked around a good bit, and I found this from that RPG game a few of you play:

Looking for other ideas, though. Obviously doesn't actually have to be Lovecraft/Chambers inspired - are there any resources for spooky-looking scribbles that a standard Google search might not reveal?

Apologies for the length of the post! Thanks in advance to anyone who slogged through all this.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: Weird fiction/Lovecraft nerds - help

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

You're never going to find anything alternate to the Ross glyph. That shit is sort of canon now. At least with the Eldar sign, you have the tree/star debate (see the awesome way in which the HPLHS combined the two, in John Dee fashion, no less!). If you're thinking about a nationalistic symbol, some squigly thing, frankly, doesn't seem to fit. Why not try something geometric, iconic?
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:You're never going to find anything alternate to the Ross glyph. That shit is sort of canon now.
Thanks! You've likely saved me some time.
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:If you're thinking about a nationalistic symbol, some squigly thing, frankly, doesn't seem to fit. Why not try something geometric, iconic?
Anything I find or is brought to my attention is absolutely just going to be a starting point. If I had chosen to use that symbol, for example, I would have created a more angular, streamlined version of it. I usually hate logos that are just kinda drawn around some dungeons and dragons xerox.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Green Chamber wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:You're never going to find anything alternate to the Ross glyph. That shit is sort of canon now.
Thanks! You've likely saved me some time.
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:If you're thinking about a nationalistic symbol, some squigly thing, frankly, doesn't seem to fit. Why not try something geometric, iconic?
Anything I find or is brought to my attention is absolutely just going to be a starting point. If I had chosen to use that symbol, for example, I would have created a more angular, streamlined version of it. I usually hate logos that are just kinda drawn around some dungeons and dragons xerox.
This is actually more exciting. You get a chance to brand fresh and do something new. I'm really interested in seeing it.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

That looks like the Blue Oyster Cult symbol, they hopped on that bandwagon years ago
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

zzzzzzzz wrote:That looks like the Blue Oyster Cult symbol, they hopped on that bandwagon years ago
Other people here could probably tell you more, but I remember reading that this isn't exactly a coincidence. I didn't think the symbol I'd posted here was the alleged knockoff, though. They don't really look that similar...
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:This is actually more exciting. You get a chance to brand fresh and do something new. I'm really interested in seeing it.
I appreciate the interest! This is totally a lo-fi, fun-amongst-friends project, so don't get your hopes too high. I'll be sure to post whatever does materialize, though.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Green Chamber wrote:Image

they're certainly not dissimilar dude...
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

riley-o wrote:
Green Chamber wrote:Image

they're certainly not dissimilar dude...
Don't make me squat-thrust you into the gaping maw of unreason, Osbourne. Men are talking now, wait your turn!