Carmine Galante's murder

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Bored, Esq.

Carmine Galante's murder

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I recently read a book about Tommy Pitera, a mob assassin...in the book the author said the photos from Galante's murder were the most famous ever of a mob hit. Have you seen these before? I hadn't...

zombiehead
Patient Zero

Re: Carmine Galante's murder

Post by zombiehead »

thank god there was a drain right there
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Yeah.

He was killed with a shotgun. This was in broad daylight, in front of everyone there in the restaurant.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Yeah...the only bad thing to be for them is unreliable, undependable, flaky.
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

Well if they exhibit no control they must be psychotic, meaning stupid, too pussy to handle murder cause it makes them COO COOO, there's such a taboo on it now, people aren't trained to kill at a young age, age of the warrior long gone, now look, too many wimpy rat ass people and too many cops to protect them
Turd Murder
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Turd Murder »

This hit, if I am not mistaken, was discussed in detail in Sammy 'the Bull' Gravano's autobiography. And wasn't this the hit that the Iceman took credit for? So, it's kinda famous. I never seen the photos before.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Turd Murder wrote:And wasn't this the hit that the Iceman took credit for?
Yes. It was done by a team of men...they were led by a guy named Indelicato. This is the guy my book was about, Pitera:

His nickname was "The Vampire." They think he might have killed up to a hundred people...
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

That looks familiar enough that I'm willing to say it was re-created in one movie or another. For some reason Ghost Dog springs to mind, but I doubt that's it. I don't think it was supposed to be an actual adaptation of events or anything, more likely whoever set up the scene used those pictures as reference...
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Let's not overlook the fact that Galante died with a cigar in his mouth. The guy corpsed out with class.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Green Chamber wrote: For some reason Ghost Dog springs to mind ...
"He's a nigger!"

Great movie.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

Ghost Dad wrote:Let's not overlook the fact that Galante died with a cigar in his mouth. The guy corpsed out with class.
smoked whilst smoking

META
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

krudmonk wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:Let's not overlook the fact that Galante died with a cigar in his mouth. The guy corpsed out with class.
smoked whilst smoking

META
Yeah, when the police arrived on the scene the cigar was still lit and smoking...

RE: the lives of these guys...what's shocking to me (I guess) is how brutal and short they really are. Pitera had an associate named Billy Bright that was a witness to Pitera's murder of a small-time gangster wannabe who was angry about Pitera muscling in on a marijuana ring he had help set up with a guy named Harrigan. They agree to a meeting and as this guy, Reiter, drove up in his car Pitera walked over to him and shot him point blank in the face with a shotgun.
The shotgun sounded like a cannon, a thunderous roar. The double-O buck blew much of Reiter's face, neck and collarbone into oblivion. What was left of his face was a sorrowful sight. With what was left of his countenance, he looked at Michael Harrigan and said in a weak voice with blood bubbling from his mouth, most of his teeth missing, "I thought we were friends."

"If we were friends," Michael Harrigan said, "I wouldn't need him." As he said this he pointed to Pitera...
So Bright was just there as a witness...he didn't do anything, really. Reiter had a brother, however, who was in prison already and when Bright was later convicted of something unrelated to this and put in the same prison (really bad luck), Reiter the Elder went to the Aryan Brotherhood and paid them $5000 to kill him. He was cornered in the yard by two huge AB members who both had life sentences and they stabbed him to death right there with shivs.

Pitera cut Reiter up in pieces and bured him in Staten Island. They didn't find his body until later, because Pitera's second in command Gangi gave up the burial site as part of a plea agreement. Also buried there was Gangi's girlfriend...who Pitera killed and dismembered right in front of him, daring him to do something about it...
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Pisscubes wrote: I've read the Ice Man book twice and don't believe half the shit in it.
That's the problem with reading books about psychopaths/murderers...they lie about everything.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Pisscubes wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Pisscubes wrote: I've read the Ice Man book twice and don't believe half the shit in it.
That's the problem with reading books about psychopaths/murderers...they lie about everything.
He says he was in on Paul Castellano's murder but Sammy the Bull never once mentions him as one of the guys in on it in his book.
That murder came up in the book I was reading. When they later determined that Gotti had to be taken out they respected his #1 assassin, Lino, so much that they decided to kill him first just to get him out of the way. Lino often turned to Pitera for contracts, I'm thinking they would have killed Pitera also...he was lucky in going to jail at the time he did. Well, lucky in a very narrow sense...

But yeah...I don't think Kuklinski was involved in any of this.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Pisscubes wrote: Speaking of taking out someone's fiercest enforcer before you take them out-- I always find it funny how much the mob guys ended up modeling after The Godfather. In so many books I read, the real life gangsters loved that movie so much they really took not just lessons from it (killing Luca Brasi before going after Don Corleon) but dress, speech patterns, etc.
Yeah. There's a funny scene in The Sopranos when Carmela and her friends are doing a "100 greatest movies" project, watching all the classics, and the next movie on their list is The Godfather. They all look at each other like, "Do we really need to watch this one?"

Speaking of TV, though, I hope this series is good:

http://www.hbo.com/the-sopranos/index.h ... lk-empire/
Whiffleball Ace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Whiffleball Ace »

Bored, Esq. wrote:Image
Looks like he didn't even get through the salad.
I wonder if he was like starving and ordered some big ass dish of rissotto and was just salivating as he thought about it while picking through some shitty salad. BAM!
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Whiffleball Ace wrote: I wonder if he was like starving and ordered some big ass dish of rissotto and was just salivating as he thought about it while picking through some shitty salad. BAM!
The murder was done pretty brazenly. In broad daylight, in the middle of the day. The hit team drove up to the restaurant, got out of the car, walked through the building to the back, shot him, walked back, got in the car, drove off. Lots of people recognized them but no one was going to say anything to the police...

Because Galante was in the back garden he didn't hear the people running out of the place inside. He totally taken by surprise...but he was also sold out by one of his bodyguards. The guy who tried to protect him was blown away too...