Do any of you read books from your computers?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Re: Do any of you read books from your computers?

Post by chris narcosis »

I need to slouch
Morpheus
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by Morpheus »

No chance. I have 3 pdfs on my computer and they're used only because the search function makes it easier to find references. I could never read a whole book on the computer, I'll always need a physical copy.

My books are on the shelves left to right in author alphabetical order in sections. Two case for novels, one for Philosophy etc. Novels per author in the chronological order of their publication. Texts are in subject area i.e. Poetry and again in author alphabetical order and chronological publication including where there are several translations of any particular text.

I can do all this even though I buy secondhand. It would be much easier if I still had an account at a bookshop and collected each authored new novel or text as it came in.

You'll find the same author on different shelves because they write poetry and prose or because they write science and novels.

Seriously dedicated readers will always want a physical book. If you're surrounded by books you are constantly drinking in the details. I walk to the kitchen and I've passed Peter Carey's Jack Maggs and I've though of Australia, Oscar and Lucinda, Ned Kelly other Australian authors, etc. And that's just one stream of thousands relating to one author book. I'm surrounded by thousands of books. They are literally the wallpaper and they improve my mind and my literacy at every moment. The connections are limitless.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Hell no. I don't know why some people seem to think this'll catch on. And I don't know anyone who does it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Teufel
Olde Timer

Post by Teufel »

Comic books, yes. Novels, no.
Teufel's Tomb » Facebook » Last.FM
Junie Browning wrote:Do you know who I am? I will kill you and rape your family!
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

I am waiting for the iPad.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
gasoline y2k
Fearless Undead Machines

Post by gasoline y2k »

The information is the same. The sooner that one can wrap his mind around that the more accepting of digital book media one can be. I will say this: the only reason I prefer regular, paperback sized books is the ease of operation and the fact that they don't make my eyes hurt.

To those that need 'the real thing' - how about a 4x5" (or whatever 'regular' book size is to you) openable tablet. Run on AA, hold more than you can read. A book-pod. It can even have a real paper cover. Would you go for that? Or does it have to be paper?

I am 50% through "The Idiot" on my phone, and can't see myself picking it back up. Just too much on the eyes. But I would love to have something that could hold all the texts I would need without the eye strain. Imagine the space it would free up.

EDIT: also, need to be able to make / view notes on the page. Paperback, I use the margins. I write all over my shit.
xbox: chatt3rtooth
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I have programming/application manuals on my computer that I refer to...but I can't read a whole book on my computer.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I've tried reading books on the computer... it fucking sucked. I think the only way I'd be comfortable reading an e-book was if I used a Kindle or something similar. Even then I would miss the feel and smell of real books...
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

gasoline y2k wrote:The information is the same. The sooner that one can wrap his mind around that
Not really the point.
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Comics most of the time.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
gasoline y2k
Fearless Undead Machines

Post by gasoline y2k »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
gasoline y2k wrote:The information is the same. The sooner that one can wrap his mind around that
Not really the point.
I think that absolutely is the point. If they can make digital comfortable, then digital is better for both space and ease of information reasons. Download a textbook vs. order and wait? Want that out of print edition? How about all the media that is crumbling in libraries?
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

gasoline y2k wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Not really the point.
I think that absolutely is the point. If they can make digital comfortable, then digital is better for both space and ease of information reasons. Download a textbook vs. order and wait? Want that out of print edition? How about all the media that is crumbling in libraries?
Ugh...
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
gasoline y2k wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
Not really the point.
Ugh...
Quite ironic coming from the guy who listens to music exclusively from a laptop.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Krieg wrote: Quite ironic coming from the guy who listens to music exclusively from a laptop.
I don't. Even if I did (I don't have a laptop anymore, for one thing), it wouldn't be pertinent or applicable. C'mon, man...
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
Krieg wrote: Quite ironic coming from the guy who listens to music exclusively from a laptop.
I don't. Even if I did (I don't have a laptop anymore, for one thing), it wouldn't be pertinent or applicable. C'mon, man...
books -> e-books
albums -> mp3s

Same thing.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I read one or two of the Gunslinger books (longer ones) off my computer at my old job. I was supposed to be working and Alt-Tab back to excel or whatever was possible and easy, hiding a real book wouldn't have worked.

I read one or two parts of Song and Ice and fire off my fricken nintendo DS.
kale
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Krieg wrote: books -> e-books
albums -> mp3s

Same thing.

:drooly:
gasoline y2k
Fearless Undead Machines

Post by gasoline y2k »

neckbeard wrote:I read one or two parts of Song and Ice and fire off my fricken nintendo DS.
I'm on the third book. Dark wings, dark words. :awesome:
gasoline y2k
Fearless Undead Machines

Post by gasoline y2k »

Bored, Esq. wrote:
albums -> mp3s

Same thing.

:drooly:
Really? What if you wanted to study some shit that is in, exclusively, a library in Venice, falling apart from existing so long. Few high quality pictures, and bam. You don't have to go there. What is bad about this?
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

i can. i prefer a book, and will sometimes print and make one.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
metal5411
I hate my life.

Post by metal5411 »

Krieg wrote:
Bored, Esq. wrote:
books -> e-books
albums -> mp3s

Same thing.
That is such a bad analogy.
krudmonk wrote:Just fuck a robot that looks like her. It's Japan, retard.
monsterod wrote:Look, I'd rather be riding a rocket-propelled wild boar through space with a bottle of Maker's getting a blowjob from Mrs. Snozzberries. But at this point, I'd be satisfied with a brisk trot down the street from a common sow.
The Wages of Ben
INSIDE FISH STICKS, OUTSIDE TARTAR SAUCE

Post by The Wages of Ben »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Black Jacques wrote:fuck that man. I'm not messin' with no giant corn...
dreweq wrote:clasping em like they were pages of the pelican brief she was gonna use to solve a fuckin nancy drew murder mystery or something.
ImageImage
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

albums -> mp3s

Same thing.
That's the stupidest fucking thing I've heard all day. I think you just blew your entire reserve of smug cred.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I wonder which way uses more energy.

Print & transportation vs Download and electricity
kale
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I basically see electronic book readers, digital texts, etc. the same way I view Twitter. Stupid, useless new technology pushed onto bored people with too much money and made to seem "necessary" through advertising. They invent a new product and then go back and try to create a demand for it...instead of the other way around. With digital texts, also, you simply have a new business model enforced by giant corporations who are always looking for ways to cut costs and increase profits. I like regular books just fine and I'll keep my old school library, thank you. Don't come crying to me when you can't find some great "obscure" text because the people who serve you pap-product decided it wasn't in the interest of the majority to produce it.

Fucking morons...