Post albums you don't like that everyone else says rules

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Post albums you don't like that everyone else says rules

Post by spacehamster »

Ten bucks says I made this post earlier in this thread, but everytime someone talks about how great Slaughter of the Soul is and how it's somehow a defining moment for Swedish Death Metal, I die a little inside. SotS was the album where At the Gates, previously a weird and original band, decided to go completely vanilla and just do a watered-down version of what Entombed and Dismember had already been doing for years. I very clearly remember the day I went to the store all excited to pick up the new album from this band I liked that had decided to come back for another one, but I listened to it first and didn't even bother buying it. I'll never understand what people like about this thing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

The only album of theirs I really like is Cleptocracy
Ill body
/
Ill will
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 am Ten bucks says I made this post earlier in this thread, but everytime someone talks about how great Slaughter of the Soul is and how it's somehow a defining moment for Swedish Death Metal, I die a little inside. I'll never understand what people like about this thing.
I'm not saying I beat off to it like it's some kind of religious experience, but saying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.

I also refuse to defend this album because it needs 0% help from me.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

it doesnt work as death metal
doesnt really work as proggy skronky shit either
its not bad but it aint that good either
the production is cool though so its pleasing to scrutinize ?

:tdown:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

hipster holocaust wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 amsaying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.
I don't understand why people who claim to like 90s Death Metal don't notice how painfully derivative SotS is. It's not like early the first two Entombed and Dismember albums are some sort of obscure prog shit that was impossible to get into.

But if you're saying that SotS is the castrated, vanilla, sanitized-for-your-protection version of early 90s Swedish Death Metal and therefore popular, hey, I can get behind that observation.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
aeser
git help.

Post by aeser »

hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

spacehamster wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am
hipster holocaust wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 amsaying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.
I don't understand why people who claim to like 90s Death Metal don't notice how painfully derivative SotS is. It's not like early the first two Entombed and Dismember albums are some sort of obscure prog shit that was impossible to get into.

But if you're saying that SotS is the castrated, vanilla, sanitized-for-your-protection version of early 90s Swedish Death Metal and therefore popular, hey, I can get behind that observation.
:beer:
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
buenoallthetime
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by buenoallthetime »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am
SotS is what brought the more thrashy and melodic(incessant syncopation) Gothenburg sound to the forefront vs. the heavier more traditional style death metal sound of Stockholm. I actually kind of hate SotS because of all the bands that came to be because of it but when I first heard it I was obsessed. So, I still have a certain amount of respect for what they were doing there even if I never want to hear that album again.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

buenoallthetime wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am SotS is what brought the more thrashy and melodic(incessant syncopation) Gothenburg sound to the forefront vs. the heavier more traditional style death metal sound of Stockholm.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

buenoallthetime wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am So, I still have a certain amount of respect for what they were doing there even if I never want to hear that album again.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I guess it was also one of the first main albums that opened the door to more extreme music so I'll always have a soft spot for it.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

I too can't listen to Obscura
Image Certified Poster
godofdeadlydeath
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

I think FWTH and Coloured Sands are much better albums because they still sound like songs and have great riffs. I get why Obscura is influential or whatever, but I don't think it's a great album to listen to.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

sots and obscura are both the best
formerly ghost boner
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

I instantly loved Obscura.

My mom likes SOtS.
Ill body
/
Ill will
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Even though some people think your mom is a poser she should still post here.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

cxwx wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm My mom likes SOtS.
I rest my case.

I can't really get all hot and bothered about people not liking Obscura. It clicked for me instantly as well, but the appeal is very... specific. So I can see how it's not for everyone.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

I listen to SOtS all the time
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

I love SOTS but I also find my self defending the early albums from people who are only fans of that one album as well. Its funny because ATG had already turned the corner when they put out Terminal Spirit Disease. SOTS just has way better song writing and better guitar riffs which ultimately is the only thing I personally care about in the realm of rock music. The early albums were fun but the we must be different gimmick didn't translate to better songs.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

when my gf puts on californication by the red hot chilli peppers i listen very carefully for the parts that everyone thinks destabilized the western canon of popular music forever and i don't see it tbqh
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

the haunted sucks though
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

zombiehead wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm the haunted sucks though
Agreed 100% the Haunted were so middle of the road and way to aggro/grove oriented. I get why the twin who wrote all of At The Gates music tried to distance himself from that style but it still bugs me how generic his song writing was in that band. I think there are 2 haunted songs I would consider as good songs.
godofdeadlydeath
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm when my gf puts on californication by the red hot chilli peppers i listen very carefully for the parts that everyone thinks destabilized the western canon of popular music forever and i don't see it tbqh
Uh, who thinks that? Sure, it was a huge album and really reignited their career, but is that album considered some classic in pantheon of rock albums? It's probably their best album but that's not saying much.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

i misunderstood this thread
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Skin Chamber

cue retard.
Jimm O' Lation
Kill Whitey

Post by Jimm O' Lation »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

Erosion of Sanity was the only album i could ever get down with.obscura is just a bunch of nonsense.