Post albums you don't like that everyone else says rules

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Post Reply
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 am

Ten bucks says I made this post earlier in this thread, but everytime someone talks about how great Slaughter of the Soul is and how it's somehow a defining moment for Swedish Death Metal, I die a little inside. SotS was the album where At the Gates, previously a weird and original band, decided to go completely vanilla and just do a watered-down version of what Entombed and Dismember had already been doing for years. I very clearly remember the day I went to the store all excited to pick up the new album from this band I liked that had decided to come back for another one, but I listened to it first and didn't even bother buying it. I'll never understand what people like about this thing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
cxwx
DO THE DEW!
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Location: The hook on which to hang your plagiarized blueprint for living

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:59 am



The only album of theirs I really like is Cleptocracy
featherboa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm
I got not-enough sleep last night because Crazy Town went late;
User avatar
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 17743
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Fart og

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am

spacehamster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 am
Ten bucks says I made this post earlier in this thread, but everytime someone talks about how great Slaughter of the Soul is and how it's somehow a defining moment for Swedish Death Metal, I die a little inside. I'll never understand what people like about this thing.
I'm not saying I beat off to it like it's some kind of religious experience, but saying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.

I also refuse to defend this album because it needs 0% help from me.
MeatGrease wrote:I think New Jersey has permanently fucked up my DNA
User avatar
FVBTVS
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14493
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am

never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

it doesnt work as death metal
doesnt really work as proggy skronky shit either
its not bad but it aint that good either
the production is cool though so its pleasing to scrutinize ?

:tdown:
Chad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm
cool dudes like us
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am

hipster holocaust wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am
saying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.
I don't understand why people who claim to like 90s Death Metal don't notice how painfully derivative SotS is. It's not like early the first two Entombed and Dismember albums are some sort of obscure prog shit that was impossible to get into.

But if you're saying that SotS is the castrated, vanilla, sanitized-for-your-protection version of early 90s Swedish Death Metal and therefore popular, hey, I can get behind that observation.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
aeser
Certified False.
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:12 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 am

Image

Image
User avatar
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 17743
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Fart og

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am

spacehamster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am
hipster holocaust wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am
saying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.
I don't understand why people who claim to like 90s Death Metal don't notice how painfully derivative SotS is. It's not like early the first two Entombed and Dismember albums are some sort of obscure prog shit that was impossible to get into.

But if you're saying that SotS is the castrated, vanilla, sanitized-for-your-protection version of early 90s Swedish Death Metal and therefore popular, hey, I can get behind that observation.
:beer:
MeatGrease wrote:I think New Jersey has permanently fucked up my DNA
User avatar
buenoallthetime
Hella Evil & Shit
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am

spacehamster wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am
hipster holocaust wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am
saying you don't understand the popularity of something with more traditional song writing, shiny production, and hook-y riffs is kind of silly.
I don't understand why people who claim to like 90s Death Metal don't notice how painfully derivative SotS is. It's not like early the first two Entombed and Dismember albums are some sort of obscure prog shit that was impossible to get into.
SotS is what brought the more thrashy and melodic(incessant syncopation) Gothenburg sound to the forefront vs. the heavier more traditional style death metal sound of Stockholm. I actually kind of hate SotS because of all the bands that came to be because of it but when I first heard it I was obsessed. So, I still have a certain amount of respect for what they were doing there even if I never want to hear that album again.
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 am

buenoallthetime wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am
SotS is what brought the more thrashy and melodic(incessant syncopation) Gothenburg sound to the forefront vs. the heavier more traditional style death metal sound of Stockholm.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 17743
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Fart og

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 am

buenoallthetime wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am
So, I still have a certain amount of respect for what they were doing there even if I never want to hear that album again.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I guess it was also one of the first main albums that opened the door to more extreme music so I'll always have a soft spot for it.
MeatGrease wrote:I think New Jersey has permanently fucked up my DNA
featherboa
Olde Timer
Posts: 5556
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am

I too can't listen to Obscura
let's overturn these tables disconnect these cables
This place don't make sense to me no more
copstache wrote: i cut my hand at work and just let it drip on my desk during a conference call
FVBTVS wrote:probably some punk broth
dames are lousy now mah i gotta bop peckahs
User avatar
godofdeadlydeath
DO NOT WANT.
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 pm
Location: NA, MA
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 pm

FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am
never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

it doesnt work as death metal
doesnt really work as proggy skronky shit either
its not bad but it aint that good either
the production is cool though so its pleasing to scrutinize ?

:tdown:
I think FWTH and Coloured Sands are much better albums because they still sound like songs and have great riffs. I get why Obscura is influential or whatever, but I don't think it's a great album to listen to.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

Image
User avatar
ghost boner
need...miss...want...
Posts: 8879
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: chug-a-lug house

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm

sots and obscura are both the best
formerly ghost boner
User avatar
cxwx
DO THE DEW!
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Location: The hook on which to hang your plagiarized blueprint for living

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I instantly loved Obscura.

My mom likes SOtS.
featherboa wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm
I got not-enough sleep last night because Crazy Town went late;
User avatar
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 17743
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Fart og

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Even though some people think your mom is a poser she should still post here.
MeatGrease wrote:I think New Jersey has permanently fucked up my DNA
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm

cxwx wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm
My mom likes SOtS.
I rest my case.

I can't really get all hot and bothered about people not liking Obscura. It clicked for me instantly as well, but the appeal is very... specific. So I can see how it's not for everyone.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
zombiehead
Patient Zero
Posts: 24703
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: ny

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm

I listen to SOtS all the time
User avatar
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:35 am
Location: Chuco Town

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I love SOTS but I also find my self defending the early albums from people who are only fans of that one album as well. Its funny because ATG had already turned the corner when they put out Terminal Spirit Disease. SOTS just has way better song writing and better guitar riffs which ultimately is the only thing I personally care about in the realm of rock music. The early albums were fun but the we must be different gimmick didn't translate to better songs.
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
One Of Many Accounts
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

when my gf puts on californication by the red hot chilli peppers i listen very carefully for the parts that everyone thinks destabilized the western canon of popular music forever and i don't see it tbqh
canon.docre wrote:I will not be seduced by the cheap showiness of nature.
FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am
tried to make an ideal wife. she had a burn in the center of her forehead..
User avatar
zombiehead
Patient Zero
Posts: 24703
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: ny

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm

the haunted sucks though
User avatar
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:35 am
Location: Chuco Town

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:13 pm

zombiehead wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm
the haunted sucks though
Agreed 100% the Haunted were so middle of the road and way to aggro/grove oriented. I get why the twin who wrote all of At The Gates music tried to distance himself from that style but it still bugs me how generic his song writing was in that band. I think there are 2 haunted songs I would consider as good songs.
User avatar
godofdeadlydeath
DO NOT WANT.
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 pm
Location: NA, MA
Contact:

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 am

Eight Bit Alien wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm
when my gf puts on californication by the red hot chilli peppers i listen very carefully for the parts that everyone thinks destabilized the western canon of popular music forever and i don't see it tbqh
Uh, who thinks that? Sure, it was a huge album and really reignited their career, but is that album considered some classic in pantheon of rock albums? It's probably their best album but that's not saying much.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

Image
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
One Of Many Accounts
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 pm

i misunderstood this thread
canon.docre wrote:I will not be seduced by the cheap showiness of nature.
FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am
tried to make an ideal wife. she had a burn in the center of her forehead..
User avatar
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 11479
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Skin Chamber

cue retard.
Jimm O' Lation
Methods for Attaining Extreme Altitudes
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 am

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 am

FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am
never been able to get into Gorguts - Obscura

it doesnt work as death metal
doesnt really work as proggy skronky shit either
its not bad but it aint that good either
the production is cool though so its pleasing to scrutinize ?

:tdown:

Erosion of Sanity was the only album i could ever get down with.obscura is just a bunch of nonsense.
Post Reply