who here owns the least physical music?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: who here owns the least physical music?

Post by DeadWalrus »

Barcass Grinder wrote:Not adequately explained. Sorry. Keep trying. Aren't LPs just a place to store music also? Fuck your record romance.
LP -> painting/lithograph

CD -> inkjet printing of a picture you found on the internet

CD's are literally valueless non-objects, LP's are (or can be) collectible artwork. I can make an exact copy of a CD with the shit in my house for less than a dollar in less than 10 minutes. Can you press vinyl in your house?
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Hahaha, awesomely stupid premise you've got there. Especially for digitally-recorded music that's been pressed to vinyl --> a lithograph of a web GIF?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Hotchka!
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Hotchka! »

i sold mine to pay the rent and used a friends computer to burn everything which i still have and i still have a bunch of cassettes but other than that i own 5 original cds that i didnt sell because theyre paper sleeve and no more vinyl at all

and i have a few soundtracks because they came with the dvds like jodorowsky boxset
Last edited by Hotchka! on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

^ ^ ^ this is a good point... why the hell are CDs not just flat? all that plastic... why?
You Killed Jesus
Keep it thick...

Post by You Killed Jesus »

Barcass Grinder wrote:I don't understand these "Fuck CDs, they mean absolutely nothing to me, but I'd never part with my vinyl ever" people. Someone explain this mentality to me.
This. I like my vinyl collection but I'll continue to get cds as they're way cheaper than vinyl is these days. Fuck paying $30-40 for a brand new record.
amos galore
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by amos galore »

You Killed Jesus wrote:
Barcass Grinder wrote:I don't understand these "Fuck CDs, they mean absolutely nothing to me, but I'd never part with my vinyl ever" people. Someone explain this mentality to me.
This. I like my vinyl collection but I'll continue to get cds as they're way cheaper than vinyl is these days. Fuck paying $30-40 for a brand new record.
I would like to say that I have STOPPED purchasing any vinyl. After moving cross-country 3 times with many boxes of vinyl, I just can't do it. Some of it is still in NC, too. I am getting rid of a few albums I have that I have absolutely no desire to keep and won't be pulling in big $$ for too much longer, so I'm trying to get on it.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

Necrometer wrote:^ ^ ^ this is a good point... why the hell are CDs not just flat? all that plastic... why?
The jewel case is sacrificial plastic designed to get crunched in the mail while the disc itself escapes relatively unscathed.

Anyway, all I have is physical music. I have no want for digital lifestyle. And even if I someday broke down and acquired an mp3 player that was capable of holding my entire music collection, I'd never get rid of my CDs. They'll survive when the EMP fries all your ipods beyond recognition. :awesome:
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Hahaha, awesomely stupid premise you've got there. Especially for digitally-recorded music that's been pressed to vinyl --> a lithograph of a web GIF?
not the point, the point is that any dumbass with a computer can make cd's therefore cd's are valueless.
E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

anyone can paint too
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

That is retarded. You might be retarded, at least temporarily.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
not E.E
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

i got rid of a good chunk of that junk and I never unpacked any cds since I moved last september.
kale
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

You Killed Jesus wrote:Fuck paying $30-40 for a brand new record.
i know that records have gotten more expensive because they are not worthless (unlike cd's) but where the fuck do you live that records cost $30-$40 each? everywhere I've been they are between $18 and $25 for most labeled releases and $12-$15 for indies.
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

LPs are always nicer, if only because I really do like bigger artwork. that's really it. i like big pictures and inserts and all the other cool shit you can shove inside a jacket. end of story. CDs are good too, but not as good as LPs and sitting in front of the record player and totally making out with a chick because you have a collection of wax. seriously, girls get horny over that shit.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

E.E 3.0 wrote:anyone can paint too
haha yeah paint me a perfect copy of this in less than 10 minutes for less than a dollar:

Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Went from 600 or so CDs to 50 when I moved here with 2 suitcases only.
Same with books.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

DeadWalrus wrote:
haha yeah paint me a perfect copy of this in less than 10 minutes for less than a dollar:
Hey brainiac, CD-Rs are not a "perfect copy", they don't have the same quality of art on them, and they won't play in my car's old-ass CD player. Sup.
E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

people trying to convince themselves that LPs are anything but novelty anymore is cute
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I'm re-dedicating my life to inventing a laser-driven vinyl burner that can cut a record from a Vinyl-R in the convenience of your own home.... then all the LPs will be worthless... this is going to rule...
amos galore
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by amos galore »

Necrometer wrote:
DeadWalrus wrote:
Hey brainiac, CD-Rs are not a "perfect copy", they don't have the same quality of art on them, and they won't play in my car's old-ass CD player. Sup.
My car only has a turn-table.
You Killed Jesus
Keep it thick...

Post by You Killed Jesus »

DeadWalrus wrote:
You Killed Jesus wrote:Fuck paying $30-40 for a brand new record.
i know that records have gotten more expensive because they are not worthless (unlike cd's) but where the fuck do you live that records cost $30-$40 each? everywhere I've been they are between $18 and $25 for most labeled releases and $12-$15 for indies.
Canada. I've been to record stores in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto over this last year and that's pretty much the average as of late. Then again who knows, maybe I'm just hitting the shitty ones in every town I'm in...
Last edited by You Killed Jesus on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

You can appreciate art, literature, and music without being a goddamn packrat. Physical space becomes a luxury at a point, too.

I might have terabytes upon terabytes of digital media, but it takes up something about the size of a case of beer and gives me more room and, more importantly, umm.... mind space.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

While I would love to get rid of a bunch of space and effort to keep track of that my cds take up, I just can't get rid of them. I have a tiny vinyl collection that I would prefer to keep as well.

Maybe I'm just being douchebaggingly nostalgic but when I think of growing up on music a large percent of my time, besides listening to the stuff, was spent exploring all of the album covers/inserts/etc. Yes, I am a huge victim of burning cds these days but it's just not the same. I remember going through my parents/uncles and aunts/associatied friend's collections when I was a kid and spending hours being entertained by the shit. My older cousins and later, older friends, who got me into all the shitty metal that I still love might not have kept me so interested without going through their collections. (God forbid) if I have kids or if any of my nieces and nephews ever get interested in exploring like I did as a kid, I hope they don't have to sift through their parents iTunes accounts. I just don't get wanting to get rid of the stuff....
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
Hotchka!
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Hotchka! »

Necrometer wrote:^ ^ ^ this is a good point... why the hell are CDs not just flat? all that plastic... why?
i kept the paper sleeves just because they wouldve given me less than a dollar for them. i just thought maybe you inferred i kept them because i appreciated the packaging.

mitb - thoughtless
party of helicopters
beastie boys - olio
zulu as kono - local
my lai - discography
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Hey brainiac, CD-Rs are not a "perfect copy", they don't have the same quality of art on them, and they won't play in my car's old-ass CD player. Sup.
you can print the art onto cds, you can print the sleeves on glossy paper and you are pretty much the only remaining human being in the western world who's cd player still won't play a burned cd, sure. you still can't press vinyl.
E.E 3.0 wrote:people trying to convince themselves that LPs are anything but novelty anymore is cute
compared to going all digital, sure, compared to cd's, nope.

also, caldwell's right, a wall of vinyl will get you laid, a wall of cds will get your wrist swole.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Right... an inkjet-printed CD-R is an exact copy... fuck me...