Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Black holes might be intelligent

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Bored666
Soul of the Martyr

Post by Bored666 »

Fields of Shit wrote:I remember reading the Elegant Universe I think it was, the part where Greene references some example Hawking said about time travel and black holes----being stationed in craft in front of a black hole at the spot right before the event horizon......how the force of gravity would theoretically be so intense that one would be travelling at light speeds. One could then return to Earth in the distant future, as an exponential amount of time relative to the black hole would have occured. I cannot even fathom how that work or what that would look like.

I have no great understanding of theoretical physics but I do often wonder about this stuff.
There are a lot of popularizations of theoretical physics out there on the market which explain all of this pretty well. This one starts out slow and then gets progressively weirder and weirder:

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Impossibl ... 830&sr=8-1

I mean...a lot of the writing outside of the science stuff is just hack work, it's like pulled off Wikipedia or something, but one can just skip over those parts. I esp. liked the sections about all the different kinds of engines that people have proposed for interstellar travel. He also talks (few times) about the very real/sobering fact that the end of ALL physics is the death of our entire universe and any life in it. The only way out of this is either a wormhole or the creation of an entirely new universe...he says in there that the energy needed to rip open the fabric of space/time and create a passageway into another universe would require a supercollider about 10 lightyears long. Ha!

But this book has a lot in it, it's pretty cool.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Bored666 wrote: I mean...a lot of the writing outside of the science stuff is just hack work, it's like pulled off Wikipedia or something, but one can just skip over those parts.
Michio Kaku really is the only physicist who I can listen to while he goes off on all of that sci-fi speculation. He's fantastic with the way he can bring higher-level physics into layman's terms, and I think he's always fascinating. He can get a pass for being a hopeless trekkie.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This whole thread:
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Please re-name thread to Galactic Space-Farts might be Intelligent
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

The Holographic Universe Theory says the universe might be 2D and what we see as 3D is just a gigantic hologram. So we are the shadow of something else.

http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

My sans-caffeine brain can't handle the 2D Universe this early. Right now it's somehow sounding just as plausible as the Great Green Arkleseizure.

I'll read (all of) that later.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid ... html?rss=1

New national space policy sets the date for a manned mission to mars by 2030 and a mission to a nearby asteroid by 2025.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

That somehow seems backwards. I like the idea of a moon base first, then Mars. It would give SCIENCE a better understanding on how to cope with the problems of isolation. Sort of a dry run before we go to Mars.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

http://www.gemini.edu/node/11486
FIRST DIRECTLY IMAGED PLANET CONFIRMED AROUND SUN-LIKE STAR

A planet only about eight times the mass of Jupiter has been confirmed orbiting a Sun-like star at over 300 times farther from the star than the Earth is from our Sun. The newly confirmed planet is the least massive planet known to orbit at such a great distance from its host star. The discovery utilized high-resolution adaptive optics technology at the Gemini Observatory to take direct images and spectra of the planet.
First reported in September 2008 by a team led by David Lafrenière (then at the University of Toronto, now at the University of Montreal and Center for Research in Astrophysics of Quebec), the suspected planetary system required further observations over time to confirm that the planet and star were indeed moving through space together. “Back in 2008 what we knew for sure was that there was this young planetary mass object sitting right next to a young Sun-like star on the sky,” says Lafrenière. The extremely close proximity of the two objects strongly suggested that they were associated with each other but it was still possible (but unlikely) that they were unrelated and only aligned by chance in the sky. According to Lafrenière, “Our new observations rule out this chance alignment possibility, and thus confirms that the planet and the star are related to each other.”

With this confirmation by Lafrenière and colleagues, the system, known as 1RXS J160929.1-210524 (or 1RXS 1609 for short), provides scientists with a unique specimen that challenges planetary formation theories due to its extreme separation from the star. "The unlikely locale of this alien world could be telling us that nature has more than one way of making planets," says co-author Ray Jayawardhana of the University of Toronto. "Or, it could be hinting at a violent youth when close encounters between newborn planets hurl some siblings out to the hinterlands," he adds.

With its initial detection by the team using the Gemini Observatory in April of 2008 this object became the first likely planet known to orbit a sun-like star that was revealed by direct imaging. At the time of its discovery the team also obtained a spectrum of the planet and was able to determine many of its characteristics, which are confirmed in this new work. “In retrospect, this makes our initial data the first spectrum of a confirmed exoplanet ever!” says Lafrenière. The spectrum shows absorption features due to water vapor, carbon monoxide, and molecular hydrogen in the planet’s atmosphere.
Since the initial observations several other worlds have been discovered using direct imaging, including a system of three planets around the star HR 8799 also discovered with Gemini. However, the planets around HR 8799 orbit much closer to their host star.

The team’s recent work on 1RXS 1609 also verified that no additional large planets (between 1-8 Jupiter masses) are present in the system closer to the star. Future observations may shed light on the origin of this mysterious far-out planet. In particular, in a few years, it should be to possible to detect a slight difference in motion between the planet and its star due to their mutual orbit. Co-author Marten van Kerkwijk (University of Toronto) notes that the difference will be “very small,” since the fastest possible orbital period is more than one thousand years. But he adds that by using Gemini it should be possible to measure a very precise velocity of the planet relative to its host. This will show whether the planet is likely on a roughly circular orbit, as would be expected if it really formed far from its host star, or whether it is in a very non-circular or even unbound orbit, as could be the case if it formed closer to its star, but was kicked out in a close encounter with another planet.

The host star is located about 500 light-years away in a group of young stars called the Upper Scorpius association that formed about five million years ago. The original survey studied more than 85 stars in this association. The planet has an estimated temperature of about 1800 Kelvin (about 1500 degrees Celsius) and is much hotter than Jupiter, which has a atmospheric cloud-top temperature of about 160 Kelvin (-110 degrees Celsius). The host star has an estimated mass of about 85% that of our Sun. The young age of the system explains the high temperature of the planet. The contraction of the planet under its own gravity during its formation quickly raised its temperature to thousands of degrees. Once this contraction phase is over, the planet slowly cools down by radiating infrared light. In billions of years, the planet will eventually reach a temperature similar to that of Jupiter.

The observations used the Near-Infrared Imager (NIRI) and the Altair adaptive optics system on the Gemini North telescope. Adaptive optics allows scientists to remove much of the distortions caused by our atmosphere and dramatically sharpen views of space. “Without adaptive optics, we would simply have been unable to see this planet,” says Lafrenière. “The atmosphere blurs the image of a star so much that it extends over and is much brighter than the image of a faint planet around it, rendering the planet undetectable. Adaptive optics removes this blurring and provides a better view of faint objects very close to stars.”
The result has been accepted for publication (see preprint here) in an upcoming issue of The Astrophysical Journal.

The Gemini Observatory is an international collaboration with two identical 8-meter telescopes. The Frederick C. Gillett Gemini Telescope is located at Mauna Kea, Hawai'i (Gemini North) and the other telescope at Cerro Pachón in northern Chile (Gemini South), and hence provide full coverage of both hemispheres of the sky. Both telescopes incorporate new technologies that allow large, relatively thin mirrors under active control to collect and focus both optical and infrared radiation from space.

The Gemini Observatory provides the astronomical communities in each partner country with state-of-the-art astronomical facilities that allocate observing time in proportion to each country's contribution. In addition to financial support, each country also contributes significant scientific and technical resources. The national research agencies that form the Gemini partnership include: the US National Science Foundation (NSF), the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), the Canadian National Research Council (NRC), the Chilean Comisión Nacional de Investigación Cientifica y Tecnológica (CONICYT), the Australian Research Council (ARC), the Argentinean Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET) and the Brazilian Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico CNPq). The observatory is managed by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) under a cooperative agreement with the NSF. The NSF also serves as the executive agency for the international partnership.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

hundreds of millions of earth like planets... in just the fucking Milky Way galaxy.
this makes me so happy I could cry.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
caldwell.the.great

maybe I'm not being clear enough... I don't want to understate what I'm feeling. I'm ecstatic about this. This is what it felt like the first time I realized how big the universe is - it's the same feeling I had when some inkling of the idea of infinity became clear to me. It's the same frightening, excited, pit-in-your-stomach-crossed-with-butterflies wonder I felt when I realized how practically impossible life on earth seemed... how impossible and unlikely life at all is...

fuck.
I'd go and do something like write or jump and scream and shout, but everything I could do would just fucking cheapen the feeling I have. So I'm going to sit here and get dizzy.
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

jakebonz@work wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This makes me so fucking happy that I'm tearing up...
fvkk
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

caldwell.the.great wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I'm just saying it could have resonated with you if you'd identified with Zaphod at that point. I'm just getting picky b/c Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my favorite things ever.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
And yet, you don't remember that Zaphod didn't experience the real vortex, but a VR version in a virtual reality that had been designed just for him? Shame on you...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
caldwell.the.great

hahaha

:cheers:

looks like it's time for me to go back and read it again.

Speaking of super large images....

http://www.universetoday.com/82391/the- ... hoto-ever/
According to the American Astronomical Society press release, the image has been put together over the last decade from
millions of 2.8-megapixel images, thus creating a color image of more than a trillion pixels. Just how does that relate? Even a large format professional CCD camera will only produce about 11 million pixels and really big screen to view – but this terapixel image is so big and detailed that it would take 500,000 high-definition TVs to view it at its full resolution. Can you imagine?! “This image provides opportunities for many new scientific discoveries in the years to come,” exclaims Bob Nichol, a professor at the University of Portsmouth and Scientific Spokesperson for the SDSS-III collaboration.

Where did this huge astrophoto come from? The new image is at the heart of new data being released today by the SDSS-III collaboration at 217th American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle. This new information, along with the previous data releases which it builds upon, gives astronomers the most comprehensive view of the night sky ever made.
caldwell.the.great

unrelated

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/communit ... 74169.html
Thunderstorms That Shoot Antimatter

When NASA launched the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope on June 11, 2008, the goal was to study some of the most extreme phenomena in the very distant universe — gamma-ray bursts, jets from supermassive black holes, supernova shock waves. Little did the Fermi team expect that its satellite would discover what lightning researcher Steven Cummer of Duke University is calling “One of most exciting discoveries in geosciences in quite a long time.”

Fermi has found that thunderstorms sometimes produce tight beams of antimatter that shoot into space. Antimatter consists of particles matching the properties of familiar particles such as protons and electrons, but with the opposite electric charge. When particles of matter and antimatter meet, they annihilate one another to produce two gamma-ray photons governed by Einstein’s famous equation E = mc2. In Star Trek, this interaction powers the starship Enterprise. As Cummer explained during a Monday press conference at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle, “The idea that any planet can produce antimatter and beam it into space in narrow beams sounds like science fiction.”
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
caldwell.the.great

Listening to Lustmord Where the Black Stars Hang, readin' 'bout the sun. Anyone have 3d glasses?

http://www.universetoday.com/82576/hole ... and-video/

Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Wank night's cancelled
caldwell.the.great

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chand ... 1-015.html
Just in time for Valentine's Day comes a new image of a ring -- not of jewels -- but of black holes. This composite image of Arp 147, a pair of interacting galaxies located about 430 million light years from Earth, shows X-rays from the NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory (pink) and optical data from the Hubble Space Telescope (red, green, blue) produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore, Md.

Arp 147 contains the remnant of a spiral galaxy (right) that collided with the elliptical galaxy on the left. This collision has produced an expanding wave of star formation that shows up as a blue ring containing in abundance of massive young stars. These stars race through their evolution in a few million years or less and explode as supernovas, leaving behind neutron stars and black holes.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

:ylt:
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I never knew about neutron stars... it's like the nucleus of an atom (the only part containing much mass) expanded to star-size. Whoa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star
A typical neutron star has a mass between 1.35 and about 2.0 solar masses,[1] with a corresponding radius of about 12 km if the Akmal-Pandharipande-Ravenhall equation of state (APR EOS) is used.[2][3] In contrast, the Sun's radius is about 60,000 times that. Neutron stars have overall densities predicted by the APR EOS of 3.7×10^17 to 5.9×10^17 kg/m3 (2.6×10^14 to 4.1×10^14 times the density of the Sun),[4] which compares with the approximate density of an atomic nucleus of 3×10^17 kg/m3.[5] The neutron star's density varies from below 1×10^9 kg/m3 in the crust increasing with depth to above 6×10^17 or 8×10^17 kg/m3 deeper inside.[6] This density is approximately equivalent
to the mass of the entire human population compressed to the size of a sugar cube.
[7]
A sphere with a 7-mile radius that weighs more than our sun...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Necrometer wrote:I never knew about neutron stars...
Shit, son, educate yourself!

Pre-order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Complete ... 000&sr=8-1
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

some fucking scientist