Horror books

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Horror books

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

the strain by guillimero del toro is pretty fucking good
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
DanBehavingBadly
O.G. Interwebber

Post by DanBehavingBadly »

Not fiction, but Maury Terry's "The Ultimate Evil" gave me fucking nightmares as an adult. It links the Manson family with the Son Of Sam and the Process Church. Fucking murderiffic insanity.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Most of the stories in Books of Blood I + II are pretty good, as far as I remember...

also, Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon were fantastic. More suspense than terror inducing, but great none the less.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Double Anal
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Double Anal »

lovecraft
neckbeard wrote:It depends on poop and sweat
Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

Try some Jack Ketchum, particularly Off Season. Its a pretty standard cannibal folk killing people tale, but its pretty intense and you can read it in a day or so.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

if you just want a good gorey romp, i'd suggest some early, early poppy z. brite. it's nothing special, sort of the hard-rock-candy of splatterpunk stuff, but it scratches that itch when i get it.

of course you can't have a problem with homo-sex if you're going to read it.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Thomas Ligotti is pretty much my go-to guy for modern horror if you haven't read him. Mostly short stories. Teatro Grottesco was the last one I read and it actually left me unsettled about the ultimate fate of any human endeavor. It made me not want to create. The Nightmare Factory, Noctuary and Shadow at the Bottom of the World are all awesome collections with a little bit of overlap between all of them, but all are out of print and pretty pricey, so hit the library. Haven't read his novel My Work is Not Yet Done yet, but it seems pretty available, as does Teatro Grottesco. To be fair, he is very repetitive in his themes, hell maybe even theme, but he does it so well that it draws me in every time.

My main book-trading friend is about to pass me a guy named Laird Barron. Apparently his work combines elements of noir, westerns and Lovecraftian horror. He's a certified strength trainer, a weird martial artist and a three-time Iditarod racer if his bio isn't just a bunch of made-up bullshit, and he's got an eye patch. So I'm psyched.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

Jack Ketchum, John Shirley, Rex Miller, R.F. Gonzalez, Ed Lee (though more gory and funny than scary), Brian Keene, Robert Devereaux
Bentley LIttle
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

12 Months of Mao wrote:Thomas Ligotti is pretty much my go-to guy for modern horror if you haven't read him. Mostly short stories. Teatro Grottesco was the last one I read and it actually left me unsettled about the ultimate fate of any human endeavor. It made me not want to create. The Nightmare Factory, Noctuary and Shadow at the Bottom of the World are all awesome collections with a little bit of overlap between all of them, but all are out of print and pretty pricey, so hit the library. Haven't read his novel My Work is Not Yet Done yet, but it seems pretty available, as does Teatro Grottesco. To be fair, he is very repetitive in his themes, hell maybe even theme, but he does it so well that it draws me in every time.

My main book-trading friend is about to pass me a guy named Laird Barron. Apparently his work combines elements of noir, westerns and Lovecraftian horror. He's a certified strength trainer, a weird martial artist and a three-time Iditarod racer if his bio isn't just a bunch of made-up bullshit, and he's got an eye patch. So I'm psyched.
The last few stories in Teatro Grottesco fucked my shit up.
fvkk
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

all of these suggestions so far are really giving me the creeps...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

TheDOAD wrote:That guy sounds like the fucking man. Let us know how it is.

Ive read almost every King book and tons more than once. Ive read some lovecraft. Whats a good place to start with him I have the dream cycels? The collectionof short stories. Some rueld. Some bored me to tears.
A few of my favorites:
Rats In The Walls
The Call of Cthulu
Haunter of the Dark
The Lurking Fear
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Not scary, but a real fun horror novel is Joe Lansdale's The Drive-In.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.

Post by Scarlet Bro Hansen »

TheDOAD wrote:That guy sounds like the fucking man. Let us know how it is.

Ive read almost every King book and tons more than once. Ive read some lovecraft. Whats a good place to start with him I have the dream cycels? The collectionof short stories. Some rueld. Some bored me to tears.

Nothing in lovecraft is really going to be "action packed" except the Horror At Redhook which was oddly frenetic from what i remember.
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

IFL
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

House Of Leaves