Nerdly Board Games?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Re: Nerdly Board Games?

Post by a world of no »

lords of waterdeep is tedious eurotrash. really look into it a bit before dropping money on it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

netrunner was the best ccg ever! this is going to rip tons of ass as an lcg. there's a guy in france that has been looking to completely reprint all of the original cards and sell them non-profit, as it looked as if wotc was never going to do their own reprint. he was in contact with richard garfield about it, and he was game for a while there, but then shit got stuck up or something due to legal issues. i'm guessing this release is why.

fuck this... i'm just going to sell most of my boardgames and play netrunner and mtg from here on out.

ImageImage
:mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman:

More info and card images:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... 207&esem=1
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

since they released the rules for infiltration i've lost interest. feels incomplete.

and this new netrunner should be 2 player from what i've read.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

absolutely. why stop at one?

by the way, anyone interested in buying some boardgames? i may unload a few soon. if enough people here are interested i'll give first dibs before auctioning off elsewhere.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

electronicham wrote:
a world of no wrote:absolutely. why stop at one?

by the way, anyone interested in buying some boardgames? i may unload a few soon. if enough people here are interested i'll give first dibs before auctioning off elsewhere.
Do you have HeroQuest?
nope.

tentative list:
at the gates of loyang
eaten by zombies! (+ we have the bomb promo)
a game of thrones lcg (base set x2)
rune age
space alert
yggdrasil

all are in excellent shape. one of the game of thrones sets is unopened, and rune age is opened, but unplayed and unpunched.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

For real, Netrunner was probably the coolest thing WotC ever put out. Hammy, it's pretty much straight out of Neuromancer. Fuck, that RULES.
fvkk
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

game was bad fucking ass. since you like pen and paper roleplaying you should check out Cyberpunk 2020, which was the property they adapted it from. probably the best cyberpunk system out there, mechanics kicked the holy shit out of shadowruns.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Cyberpunk 2020 was based on the Neuromancer world. Netrunner is a great game (and I've never been a big Magic fan), very tactics-based. I'm wondering what the box contains...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

THE KILL wrote:Yeah, if I remember correctly, Cyberpunk 2020 was based on the Neuromancer world. Netrunner is a great game (and I've never been a big Magic fan), very tactics-based. I'm wondering what the box contains...
there's not a whole lot of details just yet, just that it's basically the original with new artwork and a few of the kinks worked out. it's an lcg (living card game) this time around, so if it's like fantasy flights other lcg games they'll release a new fixed "chapter pack" of 60 cards (3 copies of 10 different cards) each month from which to build decks along with the initial core set. they'll probably release big box expansions down the line as well for individual factions. it's a good system, as you know what you're getting in each pack, as opposed to the crap shoot you get with ccg.

card images, updates, and lots of speculating can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... -netrunner

Edit: some discussion about differences in this version and the original:
* Based on analysis from countless games / tournaments played over the years, there'll inevitably be some tweaking of card costs and abilities. Depending on how cynical you are, some of this will be to invalidate the use of original cards with the new game and require the purchase of the new version. But there is no doubt that the original game had some flaws and mechanics which are in dire need of an update.

* Thematically, the new game uses FFG's more Blade Runner-esque Android universe (instead of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG), which takes into account the memetic technological changes over the past 20 years (i.e. the ideas of BBS's and newsgroup taunting might be replaced by "forums" and "chat trolling"). Mechanically this will also come in the form of "faction affiliations" for certain cards, which may affect how many can be used in a deck, or the costs/effects associated with those cards (i.e. a Haas-Bioroid deck may have access to abilities / discounts / cards that other decks do not).

* An almost guaranteed hard limit placed on the number of copies of any given card in a deck - this was not present in the original rules, which lead to some interesting but broken deck concepts.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

a world of no wrote:
THE KILL wrote:Yeah, if I remember correctly, Cyberpunk 2020 was based on the Neuromancer world. Netrunner is a great game (and I've never been a big Magic fan), very tactics-based. I'm wondering what the box contains...
there's not a whole lot of details just yet, just that it's basically the original with new artwork and a few of the kinks worked out. it's an lcg (living card game) this time around, so if it's like fantasy flights other lcg games they'll release a new fixed "chapter pack" of 60 cards (3 copies of 10 different cards) each month from which to build decks along with the initial core set. they'll probably release big box expansions down the line as well for individual factions. it's a good system, as you know what you're getting in each pack, as opposed to the crap shoot you get with ccg.

card images, updates, and lots of speculating can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... -netrunner

Edit: some discussion about differences in this version and the original:
* Based on analysis from countless games / tournaments played over the years, there'll inevitably be some tweaking of card costs and abilities. Depending on how cynical you are, some of this will be to invalidate the use of original cards with the new game and require the purchase of the new version. But there is no doubt that the original game had some flaws and mechanics which are in dire need of an update.

* Thematically, the new game uses FFG's more Blade Runner-esque Android universe (instead of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG), which takes into account the memetic technological changes over the past 20 years (i.e. the ideas of BBS's and newsgroup taunting might be replaced by "forums" and "chat trolling"). Mechanically this will also come in the form of "faction affiliations" for certain cards, which may affect how many can be used in a deck, or the costs/effects associated with those cards (i.e. a Haas-Bioroid deck may have access to abilities / discounts / cards that other decks do not).

* An almost guaranteed hard limit placed on the number of copies of any given card in a deck - this was not present in the original rules, which lead to some interesting but broken deck concepts.
Cheers for the info - yeah I agree, that FFG system sounds a lot better than having to buy packs which usually results in you having the same cheap useless cards ten times. Re: the forcing people to buy new cards, well nobody keeps you from playing the old system, so that point is kind of silly...

The one big problem with these kinds of games is that you have to find someone who will play with you; if there was a comfortable online version of this I'd probably spend money on it, but the way things look now nobody will play with me.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

you might be surprised how easy it would be to find players in your area, unless you live in bumfuck nowhere. netrunner has enough of a history that most card game players will have heard or it, or played it in the past. i'm sure they'd be interested in giving it a go.

at the very least you could get together a few friends interested in playing and go in on a communal set to use. that's how a lot of people casual play other lcg like a game of thrones and the call of cthulhu. that's how i'm planning to play, because the guys i regularly play mtg with are crusties that are more interested in dropping their $ on tattoos, beer, and adderall than on games. (one of them just traded me about $50 worth of magic cards for a beat to shit vomit remnants shirt i have: score)
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

a world of no wrote:you might be surprised how easy it would be to find players in your area, unless you live in bumfuck nowhere. netrunner has enough of a history that most card game players will have heard or it, or played it in the past. i'm sure they'd be interested in giving it a go.

at the very least you could get together a few friends interested in playing and go in on a communal set to use. that's how a lot of people casual play other lcg like a game of thrones and the call of cthulhu. that's how i'm planning to play, because the guys i regularly play mtg with are crusties that are more interested in dropping their $ on tattoos, beer, and adderall than on games. (one of them just traded me about $50 worth of magic cards for a beat to shit vomit remnants shirt i have: score)
lol :tup:
as for the rest, Ulm isn't exactly a big town, but I'll think about it. Right now a friend of mine and I are kind of busy working on a dungeon crawl game and also finding a job. We're planning on translating it into English one day... :fp:
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Played Arkham and Mansions the other day.
We destroyed on Arkham and had our asses handed to us in Mansions.

That is all. Carry on.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

does anyone have any of the mansions expansions? if so, what do you think of them?
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Our buddy got a bunch of them... but we have yet to play them.
I will report back once we do.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

:tup:
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Played Cosmic Encounter last week.

Also jumped in on an Apocalypse World campaign but our GM is AWOL. Sadness prevails.
And nobody wants to play Pathfinder lately. I think m'lady may GM a Shadowrun campaign to fill the void.
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

You should try AW.
We had a blast. It's more about storybuilding than mechanics. Which means more action less math.

I've only played it once, so we'll see how it progresses... but yeah, I'm missing Pathfinder.
I bought our group another Beastiary and they we promptly stopped playing. BOOOOOOOOO.

Also acouple weeks ago we played this:
I had heard good things about it, but i wasn't that into it. It's stacked towards the Cylons pretty heavily and I spent most of the game in the Brig.

For a similar you don't know who the bad guys are type of game I prefer the simplicity of this:
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Assplay!!! wrote: Also jumped in on an Apocalypse World campaign but our GM is AWOL. Sadness prevails.
And nobody wants to play Pathfinder lately. I think m'lady may GM a Shadowrun campaign to fill the void.
My group is about to play Apocalypse World for the first time tonight. Any advice? I'm playing an Angel and a Hocus.
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
Assplay!!! wrote: Also jumped in on an Apocalypse World campaign but our GM is AWOL. Sadness prevails.
My group is about to play Apocalypse World for the first time tonight. Any advice? I'm playing an Angel and a Hocus.
I've only played once so far, so I can't offer too much help.
I'd just say take the time before you head into it to have a good idea of what your characters personaiity is like.
I was a cult leader but hadn't put too much thought into the kind of cult he ran until i got into the middle of it and just started kinda rolling with it. I wish I had gone into it with a firmer idea of what i wanted him and his cult to be exactly.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Assplay!!! wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
I've only played once so far, so I can't offer too much help.
I'd just say take the time before you head into it to have a good idea of what your characters personaiity is like.
I was a cult leader but hadn't put too much thought into the kind of cult he ran until i got into the middle of it and just started kinda rolling with it. I wish I had gone into it with a firmer idea of what i wanted him and his cult to be exactly.
Our session was excellent. I played a cult leader named Gardner. I just riffed. Believes in a Sky Butcher. God and Jesus were just step kids partying in the mansion while step dad was asleep. Then he woke up. My cult is all about making us rich, and fucking by bonfire. We make and sell weird jewelry and pass it off for magic, then blow town in our school bus before people can ask for their money back. My high priest is played by Peter Stormaire. My cult enforcer is played by Ian McShane. The hottest cult slut is played by that gal wearing glasses with her titties out by the horse pen, a rad photo posted in the infapuation thread, who I named Lark.

I'm also playing a second character, a medic. She rides in an ambulance with a biker gang. Her name is Rhinestone and she's played by Sherry Moon Zombie, and has an 8-year-old kid named Kitty Cat.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

electronicham wrote:I think my only shot at gaming up here is playing Netrunner through Vascal with Sadler
awaiting the release. lately though it's been all mtg...
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

I still haven't found any locals on board to play Netrunner. Unforgivable...

I'm bumping this thread thanks to two Kickstarter projects I got behind. I can't wait to play these!

BOSS MONSTER:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bro ... -card-game

6P CARD GAME (the real name is just too stupid):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/six ... ian-combat

The second one is actually a little low on funding, so it's not guaranteed, but I hope it pulls through.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Played this last week.
It's pretty similar to dominion. Didn't change my world but it was fun enough I suppose.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

electronicham wrote:Custom Arkham Horror material.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Post stolen from a post in the FFG Forums
More significantly, if you're tight on funds, grab some of the custom material out there! Here is a small list you should seriously consider downloading:

Simple Additions

These links require no extra material to play. You can download them, print them out and you're ready to go.

FFG Free Material: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/7 ... cient-ones

16 Custom Investigators: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50107 ... estigators

Nyarlathotep Heralds: http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt30 ... ?start=all

Large Expansions

These expansions are "big box" expansions. They're probably the best bang for your buck, containing new boards, new cards and new challenges. Whilst that sounds like a lot of work remember that Arkham is modular so you can often include some cards and disregard others. For instructions on how to manufacture the boards, read this excellent article: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/832 ... for-arkham

Lovecraft Country Horror: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/6 ... -and-board (See my sig for more details)

Vermont Horror: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee ... for-arkham

Arkham Nightmare: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/796 ... ion/page/1

Board Expansions with Scenarios

These expansion include a new board for use with a specific scenario. As such the replay value may be impacted, but they may be worth downloading nonetheless.

The Haunted House: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/4 ... nted-house

The Masks of Nyarlathotep: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/821 ... nload-from

Koth of Hyboria: http://plaidscape.net/downloads/arkham/ ... Images.zip

Expansion Specific Material

These expansions preusme that you own at least one other expansion, either Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (for the first two) or Innsmouth Horror (for the last one.

The Gilman Memorial Exhibit: http://cgjennings.ca/eons/samples/gilman.html

Curse of the Gold Scarab: http://megaupload.com/?d=W0LT60Z0

Dark Corners of this Earth: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67259 ... -the-earth
:mastoman: :tup: