Nerdly Board Games?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Re: Nerdly Board Games?

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Games I've enjoyed: Empire Builder (railroads and crayons, shit yeah); Tigris & Euphrates; Puerto Rico.

Yes, I play some nerdy-ass board games.

:fonz:
Stefani Sadler
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by Stefani Sadler »

Toilet Fleet wrote:Games I've enjoyed: Empire Builder (railroads and crayons, shit yeah); Tigris & Euphrates; Puerto Rico.

Yes, I play some nerdy-ass board games.

:fonz:
you mean highfalutin board games.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

More like the THE BEST board games. Tigris & Euphrates is a pretty good game, and its interest curve sharpens significantly once you've got the mechanics down by rote.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Pisscubes wrote:
Idget Child wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:So, as I've reported before, only my girlfriend will play my nerd game with me.

I always let her be the heroes in Last Night on Earth cause the game is skewed toward them if you ask me.

She's won every time we've played.

Until FRIDAY.

Finally, the zombies triumph. 8)
I find this hard to believe. I see zombies win much more, and not just because I have seen some less tactful heroes in some games.

I think the scenario can make a big difference, too, like playing the basic scenario where only two heroes dying leads to a zombie victory.
First off, the humans get TWO dice. Next they get ranged weapons that can kill zombies dead. And then I think they get the more effective cards.

But it don't matter none... I killed 3 of her 4 heroes and then TIME RAN OUT. 8)
Sure, but unless you get time to search for weapons and actually find them, then you're lucky to just fend off zombies. Keep in mind that zombies still draw up to four cards each turn. I've had enough savvy players throw out actions to give their zombies more dice or to make me re-roll to pretty much kill off a hero of mine in a battle that I initially WON. I think both players are balanced out enough, but, in my personal experience, zombies have a better early game advantage while heroes are better off later on once they have grabbed a few items for themselves.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Also, while I'm in this thread and not the other one that might as well be the Arkham Horror thread, I got to try Forbidden Island for the first time today, which was pretty fun. Weird to play a co-op game for a change, but pretty interesting for a simple and quick game (about 30 minutes). A friend of mine also picked up Yikerz! recently. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's an abstract strategy game involving magnets [insert hot now ICP joke here]. Both of these games are really easy to travel with, too.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

It's aight.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

When I was a kid playing soccer with my dad, he would let me score goals on him over and over until I started to really believe that I was beating him, and that I had surpassed him in the game. Then at the last minute he would trounce me mercilessly just to show me how it really worked. I hated him so much for that at the time, it seemed incredibly cruel. But now I think it was probably a good idea.

I know soccer isn't a board game, but I guess I'm posting this so that you understand that games are for showing children that at any moment you can rip them apart and eat them instead of going to the grocery store for spaghetti.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

When I was in high school my friend and I designed a Communist Monopoly game, with actual "Communal Property" cards and everything. It was red, star-shaped, and had Che instead of Uncle Moneybags. You couldn't make any choices, only roll the dice, and the game went on until you were eventually assigned to re-education camps or escaped to freedom. It was so awesome.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I don't really know anything about the new World of Darkness, but OLD World of Darkness is so fucking awesome I don't know what to say...
fvkk
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

I've been with my brother all week which means endless games of Dominion.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Finally got around to playing Last Night on Earth... :tup:

It's a pretty easy game to learn on the fly, and the mechanics are interesting enough where it never really gets stale. The notion of zombies using strategy seems a bit counterintuitive, but as it's mostly just rush tactics, it's more simple nuance than macro schemes (e.g., how to approach heroes with range weapons). I also enjoy that the game is effectively biased against the living, so actually accomplishing a hero objective is an accomplishment.
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

Anyone play this yet? We've run through it about 5 or 6 times, its fucking great. Sort of a condensed, dice and cards based Arkham Horror. Takes about an hour or so but there's tons o replay value and its fun as hell with a decent sized group.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

yesh. of the many games i've acquired over teh past couple of months that one hits the table the most.

2nd most played, because the wife enjoys it a lot.
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

I picked up D&D The Legend of Drizzt board game the other day. I don't play role-playing games and I wanted to lift the burden off my imagination by playing this setup instead. I'm having plenty of fun with this game.

This isn't my copy - just some other guy's from Board Game Geek.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

i've been wanting to pick up one of those for a while now. nice paint job on that one though.
BarkingLocust
DO THE DEW!

Post by BarkingLocust »

Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

DOAD, you gotta get Elder Sign. I've played all the Lovecraft/Fantasy Flight stuff and I think I've had the most fun with Elder Sign. Its reasonably simple (at least compared to something like Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness) and if you are totally pressed for time you could probably run through a game in an hour and a half. I've played it at least 20 or so times and it hasn't lost much of its initial appeal. It could use an expansion but its still quite new; hopefully something will materialize this year.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

elder signs is basically a pared down version of arkham horror. lots of fun, plays an hour or less, and is a really good price. you can get it on your iphone or android for about $5, too. worth it.

earth reborn is amazingly awesome, but really, really involving the first few plays. lots of rules, details, and shit, but the scenarios are set up to be teach you along the way. it's basically a boardgame version of x-com, if that means anything to you. definitely worth a purchase, but it's only really playable as a 2-player, and you need an opponent that isn't easily bored or distracted, and is willing to put in the effort.

mansions of madness is great, but limited as far as available scenarios. not a whole lot of replay value once you go through them all, but each does have three variations, so... 5 distinct stories for a potential of at least 15 semi-unique games? Only problem with that is once you play a particular scenario variation you know where the important clues are located and what you have to do to get them. also, i've heard nothing good about any of the expansions.

the other games you posted i hear great things about, but never played any of them. recommendation based on your choices: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... strophobia
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

now i can recommend some card games... race for the galaxy, a game of thrones lcg, the lord of the rings lcg, rune age, san juan, eaten by zombies, to name a few i enjoy. you play dominion?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

game of thrones card game runs long though. 2-3 hours depending on how many people are playing, which is damn long for a card game. other games i mentioned run 10-45. dominion is fun, and easily gotten at a barnes and nobles or something. get dominion intrigue if you can find it. works better as a base set the the regular dominion imo.
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

a world of no wrote:game of thrones card game runs long though. 2-3 hours depending on how many people are playing, which is damn long for a card game. other games i mentioned run 10-45. dominion is fun, and easily gotten at a barnes and nobles or something. get dominion intrigue if you can find it. works better as a base set the the regular dominion imo.
I play Dominion with my brother all the time, I can't even keep up with the expansions they have at this point.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Holy fucking shit... if you are ever in Calgary FUCKING GO TO SENTRY BOX!!!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW