Rate the last series you watched.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Rate the last series you watched.

Post by spacehamster »

Binge watched the Punisher in its entirety over the last two days, I guess as a palate cleanser after Arrow? Anyway, certainly far and away the best out of the Marvel TV shows, but I thought that last episode was a bit silly. Probably the only time in the entire show that it felt like a garden variety comic book adaptation.

Also SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I kind of ruined the ending for myself by looking up who "William Russo" is in the comics and then it just kinda became obvious what would happen to him. Maybe that's why I thought it felt forced and comicbook-villainy, I dunno.

Also, bonus points for taking the Karen Page character from Daredevil and making her far more interesting and believable within the space of, what, maybe three episodes that she's in.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

hyperviolence wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:56 pmBlack mirror season 4 - 5/10

1st episode is a lot of fun but it's all downhill after that, at least until the last episode which is far from good but pulpy enough to be enjoyable. Episode 4 is the san junipero of the season, meaning it's a thoroughly mediocre sci fi romance that everyone is praising because it's uplifting or something.

thankfully there are no episodes as terrible as waldo moment or white bear, so there's that
what a bummer!

I just came in here to post about the first episode, which is indeed killer. I'm OK with the series being uneven, the good episodes make worth it for me.

I was just thinking about that Waldo episode - even post-Trump, I feel like the story just isn't that strong.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Ray Donovan Season 5 - 8/10

Pretty fucking dark.

I really liked the Mark Hammil looking guy they had playing the anger management councillor.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i'm not watching punisher i dont care what you guys say
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:lol:

watch that star trek episode of black mirror instead...
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm Binge watched the Punisher in its entirety over the last two days, I guess as a palate cleanser after Arrow? Anyway, certainly far and away the best out of the Marvel TV shows, but I thought that last episode was a bit silly. Probably the only time in the entire show that it felt like a garden variety comic book adaptation.

Also SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I kind of ruined the ending for myself by looking up who "William Russo" is in the comics and then it just kinda became obvious what would happen to him. Maybe that's why I thought it felt forced and comicbook-villainy, I dunno.

Also, bonus points for taking the Karen Page character from Daredevil and making her far more interesting and believable within the space of, what, maybe three episodes that she's in.
The more I think about it the more awesome it was. It was like what every Punisher comic strives to be but has failed at on some or many levels (barring the best Punisher MAX books).

You’re right that they finally managed to make Karen Page interesting and relevant beyond cardboard love interest turned clucking, disapproving mom to the hero (which, to be fair, she still somewhat was here).

I absolutely loved the last episode, beyond the fact that I thought they could have dragged that plot arc out for the first half of season two and had Russo’s alter ego be the antagonist of season 3, but what do I know. Despite being a Punisher fan since my youth, I luckily didn’t put 2 and 2 together on that one since I’m terrible with names, and that wasn’t his backstory at all in the comics (neither was anybody’s of course, but it was still the reason I didn’t realize what was happening until it happened, and then I was like OH SHIT OH SHIT ORIGIN STORY. I get your criticism that it felt comic book adaptiony but I loved how fucking gritty and savage that scene was.

I don’t know what it was about this series that made it so much less cloying and silly than the other Marvel shows (don’t get me wrong, I still enjoyed them all to varying degrees); I think how raw they made all of the violence was a big part, but the dialogue between romantic interests was also so much more believable and less painful.

I seriously think it was the best season of a show I’ve watched in a long time.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

:lol:
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Futurama Seasons Six and Seven - 8

that bullshit Simpsons/Futurama crossover - 5
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:33 pmI loved how fucking gritty and savage that scene was.
Well, yeah, it did at least manage to keep the tone of the rest of the show in terms of how the violence was depicted.
the dialogue between romantic interests was also so much more believable and less painful.
Also the interactions between Frank and Micro. I think those are probably the best example of what's good about the dialogue in this show, actually. Clearly the idea was for Micro to be sort of the sarcastic geek that they could bounce Frank off of for comic relief, but then the way it's handled is just so much more... I dunno, mature, maybe, than the way these things are usually done. It just kind of proved that you can have funny dialogue in a show about superheroes and not do it like Joss Whedon. And the same way, a lot of the other characters' interactions just came across like actual grownups having actual conversations. The show manages to take itself seriously and not fall flat on its face somehow. Imagine if whoever wrote Iron Fist had tried that.

I also have to say, as someone who (as I'm sure I've mentioned more times than anyone want to hear it) never thought the Punisher was a particularly interesting character, this show proves that you can absolutely do good Punisher stories, it's just harder because you have to do First Blood and not make it look silly.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 pm
The Bill wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:17 am Happy! has been pretty decent thus far. Maybe second best show of the Fall/Winter. Fair warning as it seesaws between realistic and cartoonish out of nowhere, sort of Army of Darkness.
im not really all that into it. ill still watch until the end (apparently episode 7 is really fucked up) but im hoping it gets better
I like it, but then again I feel TV is pretty terrible this year outside of The Punisher, so maybe it being judged on a curve.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

The Punisher - 9/10 Would've been a 10 if not for that final episode. Frank letting Billy live just seemed so out of character... yeah, I know why it was done, setting up future season(s) and all, but still...

Ash vs Evil Dead - Seasons 1& 2 - 10/10 Captures the manic lunacy of the movies perfectly. Will watch again.

Red vs Blue - Seasons 1 thru 13 - 8/10 For a long while Netflix was trying to get me to watch this web series recut as 13 "movies." And for a long while I ignored the suggestion, dismissing as some stupid Halo bullshit. But curiosity got the best of me, and I'm glad it did. It's animated using the Halo multiplayer games, but brother, this ain't Halo. It's a comedy series focusing on two teams of lovable losers fighting a "war" they cannot understand. The first five seasons are just a series of gags with a minimal story of sorts, and the following seasons are more story driven, with a greater mythology tying them all together. There are a couple more seasons out there for the viewing, but I think I'll ignore them. The final scene of season 13 put such a perfect exclamation point on the entire series, there's really nothing more that needed to be added.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

The Deuce is a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Maggie G is on fire on both sides of the camera, James Franco playing twins is impressive a lot less punchable than I thought (t)he(y) would be, and Method Man fuckin kills it. Also a pleasant surprise casting got some pretty dope lookin honeys for people who are supposed to be playing grimy dumpy whores :tup:
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Punisher - 1-3 episodes 10/10... 4th was so boring I'm not watching anymore...
SKI DOO
git help.

Post by SKI DOO »

Ken Burns - Vietnam --- 10/10

USA!
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Twin Peaks: The Event Series - 10
CROSTY
Better at internetting than you.

Post by CROSTY »

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: 8/10
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

pro Waco.
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

Devilman: Crybaby - 10/10

Big Mouth - 9/10. laughed to the point of nausea in many spots, but the mentally challenged gym teacher character was really overused. Mr. Pickles has the same problem with the sheriff.

Spawn - 7/10. shit came up on Amazon Prime and i realized i never watched seasons 2&3. holds up pretty well. kinda wish they dug a little deeper into the mythological aspects of the story, but the conspiracy stuff and the gritty street crime elements work really well.

Happy! - 8/10. i really like how they expanded from pretty slim source material, especially since the added elements are in line with much of Grant Morrison's other comics (particularly the Filth)
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Foot Foot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am Spawn - 7/10. shit came up on Amazon Prime and i realized i never watched seasons 2&3. holds up pretty well. kinda wish they dug a little deeper into the mythological aspects of the story, but the conspiracy stuff and the gritty street crime elements work really well.
Haha. I think I have that on VHS somewhere. If it's on Amazon Prime I should probably watch it again. I remember it being pretty much the best thing to come out of the Spawn "franchise", including the comics.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

hyperviolence wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:56 pm Black mirror season 4 - 5/10

thankfully there are no episodes as terrible as waldo moment or white bear, so there's that?
I just watched the third episode, crocodile, with the pizza truck accident - and that was soooo bad. one of the worst by far.
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:25 pm
Foot Foot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am Spawn - 7/10. shit came up on Amazon Prime and i realized i never watched seasons 2&3. holds up pretty well. kinda wish they dug a little deeper into the mythological aspects of the story, but the conspiracy stuff and the gritty street crime elements work really well.
Haha. I think I have that on VHS somewhere. If it's on Amazon Prime I should probably watch it again. I remember it being pretty much the best thing to come out of the Spawn "franchise", including the comics.
i'd agree with that.... though that Iced Earth concept album gets some comedy points.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

top of the lake season two - 10 fucking skulls
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

Necrometer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 am
hyperviolence wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:56 pm Black mirror season 4 - 5/10

thankfully there are no episodes as terrible as waldo moment or white bear, so there's that?
I just watched the third episode, crocodile, with the pizza truck accident - and that was soooo bad. one of the worst by far.
seconded, fucking awful :lol:
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:rhug:

did anyone try that PKD-based show on amazon: electric dreams?

first episode sucked SO hard, and it's the best rated on imdb so I'm bailing. why did they film a first draft? they're like "oh, you thought that total recall remake was bad? check this out..."
Chigurh
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by Chigurh »

Big Little Lies - 5/10