Rate the last series you watched.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
User avatar
kevin hash
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: atlanta georgia

godofdeadlydeath wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:48 am
Rectify Season Three - 9/10. I fucking love this show. Sucks that it's ending but the writing, the acting, the cinematography, it's so good.
This show rules. I'm on season 4. Depressing as fuck.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:
User avatar
MPD
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 2446
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

Stella Shorts - 10
User avatar
kevin hash
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: atlanta georgia

Rectify S1-S4

it's a 9. Fuckin solid.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:
User avatar
BUSINESS
Rectal Anarchy
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:33 am

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Posts: 9624
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

4 episodes in and Lovecraft Country is decidedly not Lovecraftian at all. It’s pretty bad really. Some 7th grader watched Goonies and House 2, and wrote a detective story after. His liberal green haired severely over weight aunt from Seattle then snuck into his room at night and poorly shoehorned in SJW issues. Finally, some hermaphrodite at HBO bought the story rights and randomly stuck in a chick with a dick into it for no good reason.

Once Hannibal, Fargo, and True Detective first came around I really thought cable TV shows were dominating movies in terms of quality. Yet, after this and Westworld... no. Just no!
User avatar
MPD
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 2446
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

BUSINESS wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:24 pm
vague interest?
User avatar
BUSINESS
Rectal Anarchy
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:33 am

MPD wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:17 pm
BUSINESS wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:24 pm
vague interest?
Only saw this one episode and I'm hooked. It's Ridley Scott with his Sci-Fi AI tropes. I didn't really have any idea going in but it's worth checking out.
User avatar
ThePhillyExperiment
Supreme Hatred
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

The Bill wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:14 pm
4 episodes in and Lovecraft Country is decidedly not Lovecraftian at all. It’s pretty bad really. Some 7th grader watched Goonies and House 2, and wrote a detective story after. His liberal green haired severely over weight aunt from Seattle then snuck into his room at night and poorly shoehorned in SJW issues. Finally, some hermaphrodite at HBO bought the story rights and randomly stuck in a chick with a dick into it for no good reason.

Once Hannibal, Fargo, and True Detective first came around I really thought cable TV shows were dominating movies in terms of quality. Yet, after this and Westworld... no. Just no!
It's like a BET and Rachel Maddow version of Tales From the Crypt

And do they know any other white songs other than Marilyn Manson?

I think I may just stay to see the final train wreck: unintelligible actors, horrible sound editing, and nonsensical and unnecessary story line swerves. It's a shame because the first episode was pretty good.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
User avatar
ThePhillyExperiment
Supreme Hatred
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

The Boys Season 1 - 9/10 - So this is what Ultraman would be?
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
User avatar
FVBTVS
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 16434
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

ThePhillyExperiment wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 pm
It's a shame because the first episode was pretty good.
No it wasnt :awesome:
Chad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm
cool dudes like us
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

ThePhillyExperiment wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 pm
I think I may just stay to see the final train wreck: unintelligible actors, horrible sound editing, and nonsensical and unnecessary story line swerves. It's a shame because the first episode was pretty good.
That's what's killing me about this shit. I can totally ignore someone's political convictions in art or media... I have no real understanding of or take on the Spanish civil war, but I can still obviously appreciate something like Guernica by Picasso. If I were some kind of crazy racist, I think I'd still be moved by the human story in Schindler's List. The people who made those things GAVE A SHIT about what they were doing.

These woke idiots are a new fucking breed - I don't know what to credit it to exactly, but the things they make are really low-quality... even if there's great talent involved! If shit gets greenlit or bad creative choices are upheld simply because the relevant people involved are too scared to be seen disagreeing with the political messaging, I imagine it's very likely that GARBAGE like this will be the inevitable result. It's been very consistent and noticeable for a few years now.

It's almost as though a group of people who collectively decide that meritocracy is racist are at some sort of mysterious, severe practical disadvantage.
riley-o wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Capitalism may not be perfect but it’s pretty darn close.
User avatar
Toilet Fleet
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: You can find me in the tub, bottle full of Bud.
Contact:

I don't know that "I can ignore the politics of a piece that's political at its core" is a super slam dunk of a critique (while "I can enjoy the nonpolitical aspects of this genetically political piece" speaks to the quality of the craft, it's sort of weird to suggest that inherently political pieces should be judged by the same metric as pieces that aren't as overtly political (ignoring that being apolitical in art is a political statement itself!))

For me the show is only watchable because of the racial politics; the supernatural stuff is aimless and all over the map

EDIT: Put another way, got a sneaking suspicion people on this board aren't generally this critical about Verhoeven, whose work is equally political; so it's not just the politics that's at issue. Dissect that at your own peril.

Show is still mediocre overall
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

Are you saying that you don't believe that I can overlook political messaging that I don't agree with, or that there's something wrong with someone who could?
riley-o wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Capitalism may not be perfect but it’s pretty darn close.
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

Also I absolutely disagree that all art is political, that is a lie told by people who view art as either a resource to be exploited or an obstacle to be destroyed.
riley-o wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Capitalism may not be perfect but it’s pretty darn close.
User avatar
Toilet Fleet
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: You can find me in the tub, bottle full of Bud.
Contact:

I relish the opportunity to engage in full pHiLoSoPhY oF ArT discourse here but I'm sure most people would rather call me a homo and move on with their day; I do think that because art is (super arguably?) independent of necessity that its initial purpose for existing requires some binary discussion of the political: is it, or ain't it. Not even getting into the motivations for an apolitical piece presumes some degree of political background noise that cannot be ignored: notable example is patronage, where a rich dick could commission a work of their favorite hideous aunt that they nevertheless lust after. The picture of that wretched bitch may in and of itself derive from an apolitical drive to beat off in front of the fireplace, but the background of its origin is super political, in that a bunch of rich dicks had sufficient disposable wealth to commission etc.
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

You're just trying to retrofit the discussion to function inside your pre-built philosophical apparatus.

Are the pre-Christian emperors of Rome in fact Christian and living in Purgatory, because Christianity defines all men as either Christian or failed Christians?
Most things in the world exist independently of any particular political machine, no matter how hungry the machine is for everything not yet consumed.
riley-o wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Capitalism may not be perfect but it’s pretty darn close.
User avatar
Eight Bit Alien
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 am

1. I don't want to join this shitty snake-cult
2. The things which exist outside the snake-cult are not the obligate property of the snake-cult
3. This remains true even if the snake-cult has a pre-defined policy for the acquisition or destruction of matter, hearts and minds which exist outside of it
riley-o wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Capitalism may not be perfect but it’s pretty darn close.
User avatar
Toilet Fleet
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: You can find me in the tub, bottle full of Bud.
Contact:

Eight Bit Alien wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am
You're just trying to retrofit the discussion to function inside your pre-built philosophical apparatus.
I start from the proposition that art is a manifestation of intention that exceeds necessity. That's literally it!

Politics qua the contours of power within and across societies is coterminous with civilization. To the extent that civilization has permitted the development of the arts, art arose amidst the political. Put another way: if society can't be apolitical, then art cannot be either.

Your analogy to the Christian church is funny, because the influence of Christendom over Western art is arguably the superlative form of the common thread between politics and art—one that persists to do this day. Even the I-shidded-on-this-Parcheesi-board-and-now-it's-worth-$75-million irreverence and edgelord secularity of contemporary fine art is still presented to the masses in the context of museums and galleries: hushed, reverent spaces. It fuckin, sucks.
User avatar
ThePhillyExperiment
Supreme Hatred
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

HBO continues their tradition of shitty soap opera's from True Blood to new, socially relevant Lovecraft Country. Tune in Sundays!
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
User avatar
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe
Posts: 62671
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 am
Location: Feelin' fine.
Contact:

andrew: I’m 100% with you on the definition of art; with that as a foundation I’m inclined to carve out the actively/deliberately political aspects of artworks and deem those to be “not the artistic part”. a movie is necessarily less “pure” as a work of art when it has some product placement in it; I think the the same thing happens when a documentarian has a political agenda.

thanks to my sanely SJW girlfriend, I saw the first episode of lovecraft country. I’d be fine with it doing it’s anti-racism thing but I don’t think it succeeds there. cartoon white racists kinda reinforce the argument that today’s institutional racism is pretty much a-ok in comparison! and I’m not sure how the source material fared on this front, but the “horror” aspects were a total misfire for me. maybe this is a killer strategy to shit on his grave? seems like the show will certainly drive people towards his works so I doubt it’s a take-down...
Image
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
User avatar
Toilet Fleet
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: You can find me in the tub, bottle full of Bud.
Contact:

I don't hate that the most anxiety-inducing thing about the show isn't the supernatural dog-moles (???) or trans zombies (?????????) but just cops

But I don't like basically anything else about the show
User avatar
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000
Posts: 23628
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

those were not shoggoths
FVBTVS wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pm
from enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
User avatar
FVBTVS
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 16434
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm



:awesome:
Chad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm
cool dudes like us
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18573
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

The Watchmen TV show is awesome, and also very political and anti-racist.

"Keep politics out of art" is frankly too retarded for me to engage with, but I'll just point out that 99% of the time it comes sputtering forth from the mouths of right-wingers of the sort who don't understand why Trump playing "Fortunate Son" at one of his rallies is ironic.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18573
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Also, I guess since we now hate Robocop and Starship Troopers, as Andrew rightly pointed out, Pan's Labyrinth is also a shit movie.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Post Reply