Liturgy gets destroyed...

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Re: Liturgy gets destroyed...

Post by Cascade Whore »

chris narcosis wrote:OH LOOK AT THIS THIS THEN EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GANG OF xasthur fans WHO LIKE SNOW AND HELL AND MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGUING WITH ANOTHER GANG OF QUEERS THAT LIKE TO HANG AROUND SWIGGIN LATTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINNER IS THE MINGE POTTERS AND I CAN GUESS WHOS ONTOP THERE SHIT WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :mrgreen:
I finally figured out what your posts are like....it's like when Jamie Ludbrook was posting as "grindfather" but with english slang instead of australian and also crossed with Poochie the rockin dog.
Wank night's cancelled
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

Cascade Whore wrote:
chris narcosis wrote:OH LOOK AT THIS THIS THEN EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GANG OF xasthur fans WHO LIKE SNOW AND HELL AND MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGUING WITH ANOTHER GANG OF QUEERS THAT LIKE TO HANG AROUND SWIGGIN LATTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINNER IS THE MINGE POTTERS AND I CAN GUESS WHOS ONTOP THERE SHIT WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :mrgreen:
I finally figured out what your posts are like....it's like when Jamie Ludbrook was posting as "grindfather" but with english slang instead of australian and also crossed with Poochie the rockin dog.

WELL ILL BE A MONKEYS UNCLE IF I KNOW WHO THAT BUGGER IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT GOOD LUCK TO THE CUNT THATS WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome:
MeatGrease
[citation needed]

Post by MeatGrease »

Chris narcosis: always a delight

hey how do you feel about umesh? I would like for you to weigh in on the issue
Warning: this post may contain plagiarized text or language, some which may be above the poster's reading level.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

I've got Michael Gira on my facebook and he(or whoever runs his profile) seems to love this band. He should be ashamed of having any sort of appearance of praising this band.
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

pooptastik wrote:they live in a gentrified hipster infested part of brooklyn. they seem to have scared the niggers away...must be the high rent.
And what, pray tell, isn't black metal about scaring the niggers away? You guys aren't making sense.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
ratanda
How's them beans, ma?

Post by ratanda »

chris narcosis wrote:MINGE POTTERS :mrgreen:
:vuvu:
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Streven Adler wrote:faggotly retarded
:awesome:
ratanda
How's them beans, ma?

Post by ratanda »

spacehamster wrote:
pooptastik wrote:they live in a gentrified hipster infested part of brooklyn. they seem to have scared the niggers away...must be the high rent.
And what, pray tell, isn't black metal about scaring the niggers away? You guys aren't making sense.
I think Paulo was just describing something that happened and not making any comment on black metal. Quit reading into things, Mike.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

ratanda wrote:
spacehamster wrote:
I think Paulo was just describing something that happened and not making any comment on black metal. Quit reading into things, Mike.
It was a joke, Dan.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

MeatGrease wrote:Chris narcosis: always a delight

hey how do you feel about umesh? I would like for you to weigh in on the issue

SHIT MAN YOURE ASKIN THE WRONG GUV INNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT KNOW WHAT KINDA SHIT UMESH GETS UPTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DID HE CALL ME A PUFF OR SUMMAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :theylive: :theylive: :theylive:
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

HE SAID YOU WERE TRI-SEXUAL AND LIKED IT IN BOTH PIPES!!!!
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

soiled depends wrote:how is it that in a place as "tough" as NY, that assholes like this are not beat up all the time?

NY: your black metal prince needs to introduce you to nature blast beats...

"yes sir..."

:fp:
It has to be the Williamsburg thing. In a small town, I could see the high school seniors on the football or hockey team using these guys as practice for beating up freshman.
Haha,
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Bored013 wrote:the SF people were explaining that they had invented "American black metal." So...there's that.
I witnessed Deafheaven live

unforgettable embarassment for all
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Marissa was just telling me about this hipster American black metal stuff, I think she meant this band. Wow, after reading that manifesto, listening to the music, and that goddawful interview, I'm pretty sure this isn't even black metal. It's pretty much just an elaborate set up for a group of guys to position themselves as victims of a hate crime beating.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Bored013 wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:Marissa was just telling me about this hipster American black metal stuff, I think she meant this band. Wow, after reading that manifesto, listening to the music, and that goddawful interview, I'm pretty sure this isn't even black metal. It's pretty much just an elaborate set up for a group of guys to position themselves as victims of a hate crime beating.
Here's the thing, Matt, you're a fellow English major: when people reference Foucault, Lacan, Derrida, etc. and try to make it seem contemporary and avant-garde, don't you see that as being just a tad strange? We're talking about theory, in some cases, from 40 years ago or more.
It's just a practice that English and Philosophy grad students employ like a second language to immediately silence other people who don't understand the largely inflated and crappy ideas, and to impress each other so as to jockey in some elitist pecking order. He's being a douche applying the framework to his own art. Ha ha.

I'm one of those people who tend to conflate the artist and the art, so if there's good music played by known assmouths then it starts to spoil it for me. But with this band, the music isn't very good to begin with.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

And when did it become common knowledge that black metal is more extreme than all other metal?!

FUCK YOU, DEATH METAL AND GRIND IS WAY MORE EXTREME.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Though Death Metal is perhaps ...Too Extreme?

:drevil-moticon:
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Necrometer wrote:Deafheaven
I cant wait to see when this thread is made,
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:It's just a practice that English and Philosophy grad students employ like a second language to immediately silence other people who don't understand the largely inflated and crappy ideas, and to impress each other so as to jockey in some elitist pecking order. He's being a douche applying the framework to his own art. Ha ha.
i'd add that rather than just silencing other people who don't understand largely inflated and crappy ideas, that sort of language is used to circumvent actual arguments where they'd be forced to explain their positions in concrete terms. but i agree that it's all about a pecking order (that 99.9% people don't give a shit about).

what strikes me about liturgy is that they seem to want to defy categorization by emphasizing how much they aren't like black metal bands aesthetically, not realizing that their utter lack of gravity or solemnity as individuals is immediately noticeable in their music. i don't care if black metal is nihlistic or satanic or whatever it's characterized as by some people, but i do care when the performers approach it is as flippantly as any nowadays teenage deathcore band. that sort of attitude is blatantly obvious when watching that interview, where it's clear they spent more time rehearsing how they're going to explain their philosophy than writing riffs (which riley is totally right are the most generic black metal riffs mixed with that really simple dillinger-esque high-string/high-fret DUN-DUN-DUN, DUNDUNDUN shit).
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Spooky Apparition wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:It's just a practice that English and Philosophy grad students employ like a second language to immediately silence other people who don't understand the largely inflated and crappy ideas, and to impress each other so as to jockey in some elitist pecking order. He's being a douche applying the framework to his own art. Ha ha.
i'd add that rather than just silencing other people who don't understand largely inflated and crappy ideas, that sort of language is used to circumvent actual arguments where they'd be forced to explain their positions in concrete terms. but i agree that it's all about a pecking order (that 99.9% people don't give a shit about).
That's very true, theory gives us handy "idea words" packaged for easy use in discussion. But it's not the point when someone chooses to explicate any random work through a post-feminist queer theory lens, etc.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Liturgy's music is way better fwiw
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:
That's very true, theory gives us handy "idea words" packaged for easy use in discussion. But it's not the point when someone chooses to explicate any random work through a post-feminist queer theory lens, etc.
I have a filter to block out anyone who says 'ontology' in everyday conversation.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
ratanda
How's them beans, ma?

Post by ratanda »

spacehamster wrote:
ratanda wrote:
spacehamster wrote:
It was a joke, Dan.
I think I just got it.
worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

LOL

the article too, holy fucking :fp:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/arts/ ... &ref=music
He says it with his vocals, which are notionally the growls that predominate the music, though he delivers them gently, like a cat lapping up water. Mostly what he’s saying to purists is: Kiss off.
:fp: :fp: :fp:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the frontman and dogma director of Liturgy, the Brooklyn black-metal band, has a lot to say about the genre. He says it with his boyish mien, reminiscent of Shannon Hoon: soft, long hair; baby face; ever-present faint smile. He says it with his vocals, which are notionally the growls that predominate the music, though he delivers them gently, like a cat lapping up water. Mostly what he’s saying to purists is: Kiss off.

He’s also laid out a manifesto, “Transcendental Black Metal,” first delivered at a quasiacademic 2009 conference called “Hideous Gnosis” and later published in an anthology derived from same. In it he made an argument for a hybridized black metal, typically one of the most dogmatic sounds and scenes in popular music. The new sound is an “act of renihilation,” but “Spiritually, it transforms Nihilism into Affirmation.” (The capital letters are his.)

So how distinguishable would renihilation be from plain old nihilism? Some of the differences were clear Thursday night at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn, where Liturgy played in celebration of the release of its second album, “Aesthethica” (Thrill Jockey), a formidable, explosive, challenging record and one of the year’s most bracing.

Manifestos aside, Liturgy works from the familiar black-metal template: growls, speed, ferocity. Mr. Hunt-Hendrix does the singing, such as it is, and plays guitar along with Bernard Gann. Tyler Dusenbury plays bass, and Greg Fox is the drummer. For the duration of this show Mr. Hunt-Hendrix and Mr. Gann played with self-absorbed rigor and intensity, rarely letting up from the tremolo lines that are this music’s bedrock. Mr. Dusenbury wasn’t far behind, though often his bass had stretches of drowsy swing, giving the music a needed bit of wobble.

But it’s never stern. Liturgy’s black metal is almost cooling, full of ease. It’s not misguided at all to call this band luxurious, its music delivered not with aggression but with the ecstasy that comes with achieving a sort of platonic ideal. In moments during the show it felt ungrounded, for better and worse, lacking the focused, hefty center that makes “Aesthethica” — and its predecessor, “Renihilation” — so primal and satisfying.

If members of the black-metal faithful had their eyes closed, they might get a whiff of what sets Liturgy apart, but only a mild one. Liturgy has too much respect for the genre’s playbook to dispense with it altogether. Liturgy’s complicated place in the black-metal cult has as much to do with who consumes the music as who creates it, a product of metal’s emergence in the last five years as tastemaker music, another rock genre to be processed and analyzed by indie obsessives reconciling their id and superego. And to be sure, on Thursday there were things you might not see at a traditional black-metal show: young men with tote bags, a woman in pink pants and costume pearls, a small group of moshers going extremely unappreciated by the people surrounding them. Mr. Hunt-Hendrix, at least, gave the rowdy attendees a smile.

In his manifesto Mr. Hunt-Hendrix had something specific to say about drumming, suggesting that his new stripe of black metal trades the genre’s traditional blast beat for a burst beat, “a blast beat that ebbs, flows, expands and contracts,” replacing “death and atrophy with life and hypertrophy.” He added, “The burst requires total expenditure of power, and its very exercise fosters growth and increase of strength.”

It’s not clear whether Mr. Fox had a copy of the manifesto within eye range during this show, maybe he’d just committed it to memory. Whichever the case, his expenditure of power was total. It often felt as if the band, rather than falling in line with Mr. Hunt-Hendrix, was coalescing around Mr. Fox, who at times was playing directly, with gale force, and who was often taking unanticipated detours, breaking up the monotony, speeding up only to stop cold. He had his own sort of dogma; maybe he’s got a manifesto of his own in him somewhere.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES