Consolidated Comic Book Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: Consolidated Comic Book Thread

Post by james »

spacehamster wrote:It looks like ass, it makes no sense and it's boring as fuck.
Yes on all three. I had just hoped that the latter two were only because I didn't know what the fuck was going on or who any of the characters were. Sigh.

I don't want to inspire hope in you (life metal), but Grifter's new book comes out next week and Voodoo has one the week of the 28th. Each will have it's own writer/artist team distinct from Stormwatch, so who knows.
spacehamster wrote:If you have any interest at all in these characters, pick up Warren Ellis' early The Authority stuff. The first one ends with the "Spirit of the 20th Century", a chain-smoking British chick named Jenny Sparks, flying into space and killing God. It's... good stuff.
Will do! I actually have this, I've just never read it. Love Warren Ellis.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote: Yes on all three. I had just hoped that the latter two were only because I didn't know what the fuck was going on or who any of the characters were. Sigh.
Not really. They seem to have hit the reset switch anyway. Apollo, the white-haired guy they're trying to recruit, was a long-standing member of Stormwatch and later the Authority in the WS books, and he and the Midnighter (the guy who shows up and whose FUCKING COSTUME ISN'T SUPPOSED TO LOOK THIS FUCKING RETARDED) were lovers and had a long history together, here it seems they don't even know each other. It probably helps if you know who Jenny Quantum is, but that's about it.
I don't want to inspire hope in you (life metal), but Grifter's new book comes out next week and Voodoo has one the week of the 28th. Each will have it's own writer/artist team distinct from Stormwatch, so who knows.
Yeah, I know. I saw all of that stuff in Previews, looked at the towering stack of unread comic books next to my couch and whispered, "no."
Will do! I actually have this, I've just never read it. Love Warren Ellis.
Dude, if you like Ellis, you have to read that thing. I find Ellis to be a bit hit or miss myself, especially some of the stuff he wrote for smaller publishers reads like he wrote it drunk in one night, then sold it and never cared about it again. But The Authority is the angry, inspired, driven Ellis constantly trying to come up with the next completely ridiculous and over the top image like thousands of cloned Asian superhumans falling from the sky and shit like that. Plus it's drawn by Bryan Hitch before he got boring and formulaic.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

james wrote:I'm predicting that Animal Man is going to be the super-hit. That shit was just fucking awesome, it's everything I wanted. Will be following. Swamp thing was really good as well, and I'm assuming that the two will tie in to one another at least for the immediate future. I really dig the Frankenstein shit Morrison did with Seven Soldiers, and I liked the recent miniseries where he had a bunch of goofy monster pals. That all is making me think that this new push towards mainstreaming the supernatural/horror properties is going to pay off big time in jametown.
Animal Man was great. Going to read Swampy next...
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I watched that Wonder Woman pilot today. Now I mean I could watch Adrianne Palicki prancing around glaring at people all day long, especially if she's wearing spandex, but Jesus Christ, what an absolute clusterfuck of an unwatchable mess this is. Not that this is particularly surprising or anything, but it's actually worse than you'd think.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Cocaine Wolf
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Cocaine Wolf »

Thanks a ton for all the links, James. I had asked about DC comics in the other thread a while back as I was interested in reading them out for the first time, so this makes checking out what I might enjoy following a lot easier. So far I have picked up JLA, Men of War and Animal Man. I am thinking about getting Demon Knights today.
T O))) M
Streetcleaner

Post by T O))) M »

New York City, 2214: The streets are clogged with the Jelly-addicted and the homeless, while the elite cluster in glittering office towers. Among them: the ruthless head of an entertainment conglomerate who seeks revenge by giving a maniacal artist his ultimate desire: an alien.

Damon Eddington will shock the world and with his newest composition, the Symphony of Hate. Wrapped within its bizarre music can be found the most tortured of human sounds, combined with the razor-steel screams of a Homeworld alien. Yet the supreme cry continues to elude him and, obsessed with completing his musical creation and controlled by his need for the life-form's harshest voice, Eddington knows that the sound he seeks lies deep inside the ruthless creature he has named Mozart.

And he will stop at nothing to free it....
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Xasthur vs. Alien
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

WEEK 2 BITCHES

Adding new links to page 1
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Cocaine Wolf wrote:Thanks a ton for all the links, James. I had asked about DC comics in the other thread a while back as I was interested in reading them out for the first time, so this makes checking out what I might enjoy following a lot easier. So far I have picked up JLA, Men of War and Animal Man. I am thinking about getting Demon Knights today.
No problemo homie. So far all the superhero stuff kinda seems to suck dick, but I'm expecting good shit from the Vertigo and horror titles. Pretty interested in Demon Knights myself.
spacehamster wrote:I watched that Wonder Woman pilot today. Now I mean I could watch Adrianne Palicki prancing around glaring at people all day long, especially if she's wearing spandex, but Jesus Christ, what an absolute clusterfuck of an unwatchable mess this is. Not that this is particularly surprising or anything, but it's actually worse than you'd think.
Would you call it an enjoyable calamity, or would tracking this down and watching it just aggravate me?
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

So far the two titles that I've had on my pull list haven't disappointed me. Swamp Thing looks like it could shape up to be way better than the way Vertigo left it, and Batwoman started off very cool as well.

Now I'm just waiting for the second printing of Animal Man because that was the only title I didn't have in my pull that I regretted not getting.
http://failed.bandcamp.com
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:i would so slap on a strap on and rape his ass.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

james wrote: I'd never heard of the guy before, and 'Africa Batman' didn't really strike me as interesting.
I think he was part of the whole Batman Incorporated thing?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote:
spacehamster wrote:I watched that Wonder Woman pilot today.
Would you call it an enjoyable calamity, or would tracking this down and watching it just aggravate me?
Oh, it was entertaining in that trainwreck kind of way and pretty short, I don't regret watching it. There are even a few semi-cool moments like when she actually deflects bullets with her wristbands, stuff like that. If you don't have any potentially nerdrage-inducing emotional investment in the character, it's a reasonably fun watch.
Cocaine Wolf
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Cocaine Wolf »

Went to the comic shop today with every intention of buying Demon Knights. Damn shop owner didn't get any extra copies in to sell. They all went into hold files. I did however pick this up:

rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

Cocaine Wolf wrote:Went to the comic shop today with every intention of buying Demon Knights. Damn shop owner didn't get any extra copies in to sell. They all went into hold files. I did however pick this up:

I have that, but I haven't read it yet. Is it any good?

An another note, I went back and re read the Detective Comics issues with the Batwoman storylines, and it made me even more excited that it's finally out.

I read Detective Comics, Batgirl and Action Comics, and I liked all three. DC was definitely a little more gruesome than I expected, but it piqued my interest enough to add it to my pull. Now I'm just waiting on Catwoman, Batman and my 2nd printing of Animal Man.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

Well I guess I'm going to keep this alive...

Today:

Batman - I don't know yet. I liked it better than Detective Comics, but I'm not too sure where the story is headed. It seemed like they went to left field pretty quickly. The art is great, and I liked the look of all the villains, so I'm not too weary.

Catwoman - Looks like it's going to pretty much be a T and A fest. Example:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
She fucks Batman in the first issue.
That's cool with me though; something's got to replace Gotham City Sirens. 8)
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

I don't know if this applies here or not but here it is anyway; My local shop has a gallery space that holds themed shows. This season, in celebration of the Fantastic Four's 50th anniversary, they had local comic artists recreate all the pages including the cover in their style. Here's the link to the gallery page: http://www.greenbrain.biz/Gallery.htm

Mine was page 11:
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

Oh how I miss Secret Six
PSN- BroMan43
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

So even though no one posts in this thread anymore...

The only new book I read for a long time before this New 52 thing was The Spirit, so it's weird having all these new titles appear in my pull. I was very disinterested in new mainstream comics for a very long time, so the only stuff I read really was the Silver/Bronze age stuff I collect, and new small press comics and GNs. I've never been a Marvel fan really, so when DC announced they were starting all their series over at #1, I thought it would be a cool opportunity to try and get into new comics again.

So far I have been pretty pleased with all the stuff I've read, so I guess I was due for some disappointment. This week I read Firestorm, The Flash, and Superman. The Flash was pretty good and I will continue on with that one, but I can't say the same for the others. I will definitely not get Firestorm again. I didn't like any of the art that wasn't of the Firestorms in costume, so that's probably not a good sign that I'm going to care to read more. Superman on the other hand, I might keep reading. I don't know how long it's going to last, but I'll stick it out for a few more issues. I liked Action Comics enough, so that will probably be enough for me.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I'm down with Batman, Animal Man and Action Comics... I still haven't read Swamp Thing though
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

rape bear wrote:Well I guess I'm going to keep this alive...
The two comic book threads are relatively slow, but the quality is good, and that's perfectly fine by me.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

spacehamster wrote:
rape bear wrote:Well I guess I'm going to keep this alive...
The two comic book threads are relatively slow, but the quality is good, and that's perfectly fine by me.
Yeah, but I figured that people would at least post on Wednesdays when the new stuff came out. I don't have many comic friends, so I was hoping to have a little more convo.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Alright. I dig this. I've been put off by reading like 30 first issues in a month, but if my city needs me I will heed the call.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

james wrote:Alright. I dig this. I've been put off by reading like 30 first issues in a month, but if my city needs me I will heed the call.
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty daunting task. We should make a jame signal for when you are needed...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

rape bear wrote: Yeah, but I figured that people would at least post on Wednesdays when the new stuff came out.
I kinda can't do that because I'm in Europe, so I always get my stuff late, especially now that my store only gets deliveries every other week. Plus I really just go to there once a month to get my pull list haul. I haven't even read any of the new DC books yet. Just really psyched for Capullo drawing Batman, and... Wonder Woman, actually, because Azzarello writes it, and he's a fatherchuckin' god as far as I'm concerned.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by rape bear »

spacehamster wrote:
rape bear wrote: Yeah, but I figured that people would at least post on Wednesdays when the new stuff came out.
I kinda can't do that because I'm in Europe, so I always get my stuff late, especially now that my store only gets deliveries every other week. Plus I really just go to there once a month to get my pull list haul. I haven't even read any of the new DC books yet. Just really psyched for Capullo drawing Batman, and... Wonder Woman, actually, because Azzarello writes it, and he's a fatherchuckin' god as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, I will totally admit I'm very spoiled that my shop is literally right across the street from where I work.

Well, like I said, I'm not really reading anything besides DC books, but so far there have been quite a few that I've been interested in. Batman looks really kickass though, so I would look forward to that if I were you.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If Greg Capullo drew a comic book about old ladies sitting around knitting I'd buy it because he'd find a way to make it awesome. I'm probably a bit too gay for the guy at this point, but fuck it. I can't wait to get my hands on that Batman book and let the Capullo wash over me in an awesome wave.