The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote: Can't decide to join the Darkwraiths with my current NG+ guy or start a fresh character.
It's really convenient if you want to invade a lot because the Red Eye Orb gives you unlimited invasions, and the only downside is that you can't sell items to Frampt anymore. And Kaathe's dialogue adds an interesting wrinkle to the backstory. Dark Hand is kind of useless, but the armor set looks badass.

Question for PC supermacists - running this game with DSfix and on a proper monitor, do you get a lot of screen tearing? I have my PC hooked up to an HDTV, and I get some pretty distracting screen tearing when I pan the camera horizontally. Some games do this, most don't. Forcing Vsync in NVIDIA control panel didn't help. Ideas?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: ...you can't sell items to Frampt anymore.
You know, I was just about to ask if I can ever sell all this garbage I've collected. Like cracked shields and shit swords. I bought a bottomless chest because I was worried I was going to be over encumbered by a bunch of horse shit. Now that I double think about it, is there even an over encumber penalty in this game? I'm so used to Skyrim that I'm often flying blind in this game.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote: Question for PC supermacists - running this game with DSfix and on a proper monitor, do you get a lot of screen tearing? I have my PC hooked up to an HDTV, and I get some pretty distracting screen tearing when I pan the camera horizontally. Some games do this, most don't. Forcing Vsync in NVIDIA control panel didn't help. Ideas?
I had to experiment quite a bit with it to get things working optimally. Trying fucking with the separate resolutions. I had the same tearing issues until I found the right numbers. Set your native resolution and then try different in-game resolutions to see what works.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote: I had to experiment quite a bit with it to get things working optimally. Trying fucking with the separate resolutions. I had the same tearing issues until I found the right numbers. Set your native resolution and then try different in-game resolutions to see what works.
Thanks, I'll try that. Do you play windowed or fullscreen? Setting it to borderless window mode in the DSfix ini doesn't seem to do anything for me for some reason.

The Bill, you can lug around as much stuff as you want, it only matters what you have equipped. The only point of the bottomless box is really that you can get rid of all the stuff you don't want to have to dig through everytime you change your gear, but with all the crap you pick up, the inventory gets cluttered up again in no time. I've pretty much given up on doing inventory management at this point. Same with selling stuff to Frampt, the number of souls you get for all the cracked shields and broken swords just isn't worth the time you spend standing in front of him.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:
The Bill, you can lug around as much stuff as you want, it only matters what you have equipped. The only point of the bottomless box is really that you can get rid of all the stuff you don't want to have to dig through everytime you change your gear, but with all the crap you pick up, the inventory gets cluttered up again in no time. I've pretty much given up on doing inventory management at this point. Same with selling stuff to Frampt, the number of souls you get for all the cracked shields and broken swords just isn't worth the time you spend standing in front of him.
A RPG that's whatever about loot, huh?

I forgot to add, after the invasion vale lifted I did one last thing before I quit. I went back to those skeletons. And fucked them. It was a pure revenge thing. Went down there and just fucked them. Didn't explore or anything, just killed those four assholes, those four specific assholes.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
a world of no wrote: I had to experiment quite a bit with it to get things working optimally. Trying fucking with the separate resolutions. I had the same tearing issues until I found the right numbers. Set your native resolution and then try different in-game resolutions to see what works.
Thanks, I'll try that. Do you play windowed or fullscreen? Setting it to borderless window mode in the DSfix ini doesn't seem to do anything for me for some reason.
I have internal rendering set to 1920x1080. I'm also using a regular HD Tv as a monitor. Display width/height 0x0. This was where I was running into issues, putting a value for the display width. Caused tearing and strange blurring to shit in the startup menu. Framerate unlocked, no filtering, everything else set to max. borderless fullscreen enabled.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

this game with the black knights halberd in the early game is absolutely hilarious easy mode
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

The Bill wrote:I forgot to add, after the invasion vale lifted I did one last thing before I quit. I went back to those skeletons. And fucked them. It was a pure revenge thing. Went down there and just fucked them. Didn't explore or anything, just killed those four assholes, those four specific assholes.
I don't think that there's a single person that started playing and tried to go down that route that hasn't at a later point come back to fucking annihilate the shit out of those fuckers. It's a very cathartic moment for everyone.

You'll have quite a few more of those moments btw. Appropriately prepare your starfish.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

FVBTVS wrote:this game with the black knights halberd in the early game is absolutely hilarious easy mode
yeah, i fucked around with that in one build i abandoned pretty early on, but i leveled up enough so i could two-hand it and i'm pretty sure it took like 2-3 hits for each gargoyle....

goddamn, i'm so looking forward to finding a new weapon i've never used before, figuring out how to upgrade it, going back and destroying earlier enemies, etc. I NEED DARK SOULS 2
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah im str 22 and two handing it. back stabbed havel twice. killed the first capra demon in 8 seconds. its not even fun :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:
I have internal rendering set to 1920x1080. I'm also using a regular HD Tv as a monitor. Display width/height 0x0. This was where I was running into issues, putting a value for the display width. Caused tearing and strange blurring to shit in the startup menu. Framerate unlocked, no filtering, everything else set to max. borderless fullscreen enabled.
Changing the resolution in the game's settings menu fixed it, it's silky-smooth now. I, um, I'm gonna miss my platinum guy with basically all of the stuff on the PS3, but I don't think I can go back now...
The Bill wrote: A RPG that's whatever about loot, huh?
It's not that loot doesn't matter - all the best stuff is either found or crafted. There just isn't much of an economy. Demon's Souls didn't let you sell stuff at all, so it's an improvement, but it's still not that great. Especially since inventory management is a bitch as well.

What I really don't understand is why the bottomless box doesn't distinguish between different types of weapons and clothing. Stockpile Thomas' menu in Demon's Souls had the armors split into headgear, body, gloves and legwear and the weapons into all kinds of different categories, and it made things WAY easier to find.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: There just isn't much of an economy.
Sounds like this universe needs itself a war economy.

a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
a world of no wrote:
Changing the resolution in the game's settings menu fixed it, it's silky-smooth now. I, um, I'm gonna miss my platinum guy with basically all of the stuff on the PS3, but I don't think I can go back now...
:tup: Now go hit up the mod nexus and pretty shit up even further. Eventually you should try out Aggression and/or PermaGravelord mods. You need Cheat Engine to run them though.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
you can time the ghost blade attack by listening to the sound before it strikes.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

youre rocking any divine weapon shit? separating the skeltons and isolating him works best. skeletons kilt with a divine thing so they dont reassmble and then nito..?
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

you're not aggroing the big skeletons in the room, right? just stay in the immediate where you fall into the room and don't worry too much about the small skeletons. hit them if they're right up in your face, but you should try to get close to nito right away. he'll usually kill them over and over again.

he's weak to fire, so use a fire-based weapon and pyro the shit out of him. you can usually stay right by his side and he can't even hit you except for his explosive attack, which you have like 5 seconds to retreat from once he starts charging it up.

quelaag's furysword destroys him too. that's created with any +10 curved sword and quelaag's soul. for some reason he's one of the few bosses in the game i had no trouble with, and i think it was because of that sword + my super strong pyro stuff.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:Ugh. I'm so fucking sick of the run from the fire to Nito. It's not even HARD, it's just annoying.
You can laugh at me when it's my turn, but in the meantime I'm going to point & snicker at you for getting beat-up by a guy named Neat-o.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Tank it. Like SA said, if you stand close to him (slightly to his left), the only thing that can hurt you is the explosion attack. Stand there, hack away at him two-handed, when he charges up the sploshun, back away with your shield raised. Wear your heaviest armor, maybe cast Iron Flesh as well. You don’t need speed, you need to be able to take some damage from the skeletons so you can ignore them and cut Nito down quickly.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Do you have the silver spear by chance? You could have ended up with one in Anor Londo fighting the Silver Knights. You don't need faith stat to use it, and it's divine. If you have it, kill the fucking skeletons with it so they leave you alone (they won't respawn), and then switch to your katana and murder his ass. Listen for the scream to know when the blade dance is coming. Start fucking rolling away from wherever you're standing when you hear it, because that's where it's going to hit. But yes, flames do his shit in pretty quick. Lock onto him and keep at his back. If he starts to power up roll away from his back. Similar to the asylum demon, only he won't leap in the air and come down on you.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I got my first PSN and Dark Souls hatemail last night. Some sick fuck invaded me in Blighttown (why I went there on the PS3 version....:-?) so I hid in a corner and then Force spammed his ass off the ledge into the.depths below. His message? Simply "f u." No effort so I was a little disappointed.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:I got my first PSN and Dark Souls hatemail last night. Some sick fuck invaded me in Blighttown (why I went there on the PS3 version....:-?) so I hid in a corner and then Force spammed his ass off the ledge into the.depths below. His message? Simply "f u." No effort so I was a little disappointed.
I was gravelording in the butterfly/parish forest strip today and got invaded by the same guy 3 times in a row. He had a fucking lightning bandit knife that he repeatedly spammed me with. First two times I ended his ass quickly. 3rd time he fucking falls off the cliff near where the wolf ring is found above it. I wait to get the message that phantom has been defeated, but it doesn't come. I go back near the bonfire next to the forest door and wait. After another minute of no message I look down the side passage to the butterfly forest and see the motherfucker just standing there facing me. Then he suddenly warps right in front of me, not moving. I pull out my bow and lay a poison arrow in his ass and he disappears: "blahblahblah was disconnected". I shoot him a message asking how the fuck he survived that fall, because that's a goddamn instant kill. Right after I send it to him I see he's from Russia, so I figure I won't get a reply back in English. Several minutes later I get the reply: "many hp".

Fucker had to be hacking. I handed his ass to him twice in a row, and he comes back, taking almost no damage from a jumping R2 Shotel +15, and falls off the goddamn cliff and doesn't die. The fact that he lagspazzed seals it for me. I warped to the burg after that.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

wait what about the divine halberd too wasnt that a drop somewhere?
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

That sounds awful, streven. I think I've only ran into a hacker one time and.quickly quit the game after repeated strikes did no damage. Most people.on PC have been really friendly and I had a lot of fun during the gravelording event. Got enough souvenirs of reprisal to level up in the covenant. Gwyndolin is such a fruitcake.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

His first two invasions were back to back, and normal enough. He R1 spammed the first, and tried a bow a bit with the 2nd. The 3rd though he wasn't taking much damage at all(R2 shotel does damage through shields), and it was a good 5+ minutes after the last one. Well enough time to start a trainer/ce to give him extra points. He fucking backed off the of the cliff like a dumbass, and survived. I've fallen off at least twice, and I got kicked off once in pvp, and it's always an instant kill, like where you fucking die before you even hit the ground instant kill. So there's no fucking way that was legit.

That said, I've run across one obvious hacker that I F4'd out from, and another that was a known hacker (don't remember his name at this moment) that I black crystaled out of. It's rare. Very rare, for me at least. Now watch me get instacursed, stathacked, warped to ash lake on my next invasion. :?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Well, there's one argument in favor of the console versions...

That said, I guess I'll have to get DkS2 on PS3 and PC. I don't really see any other way. Besides, who knows if the PC version is actually good out of the box this time - I know they've promised up and down it will be, but what developer wouldn't say that? I know I'm actually glad I started the PC version this late, with all the mods out and polished to perfection.