The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by spacehamster »

At about my billionth try, I figured out that with the ring of fog equipped you can actually get past the sentinels outside the boss fog and they won't chase you up the stairs if you just stand right in front of the fog. So you can just stand there, gear up for the fight and... you know, pray for a summon sign to appear.

Or you can just sprint past them and go straight in, of course. Anyway, there's no need to fight them every time. And yeah, don't use that bonfire, obviously.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Four times the charm. Will give details tomorrow. But, I'll say right now the killing blow on Super Chunk was delivered via THE BOW! Hawkeye & Green Arrow are pussies.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I know everyone here (except Geoff) has been through it, but there's an extra spring in my step and swagger in my hips since last night when I did in Ornstein and Smough. I'm on the 360 with a silver account, no summoning other players for me. And while my time with them was short I grew to like those bastards. Even put a picture of them up on my iPhone

Started the night out by buying up some large arrows. Invaded Lautec. Put on the Hawk Ring and arrowed his dumb ass from afar. All too easy. I like the ring he dropped, though breaking when it gets removed sucks. It's glued to my finger for now.

I was going to take on O&S Friday, and just use the two hours I had to grind and get used to Q-Bert's Firesword, but that fog wall was just there, taunting me. I saw a summon link for Sol, damn, let's just go see what I'm getting myself into. I have to tell you, the internet got me nervous as fuck for this. I had massive anxiety going into the fog.

First Attempt: Spear Dude (Ornstein, right?) has a major hate on for me. Probably saw the Laurel and Hardy shot I gave him here. Sol distracts the big man, and I waste all my fire magic on slim till he croaks. Super Size Me was throwing me a good beating despite much dodging. Sol offered a few distractions, but I was never close enough to capitalize... ARROW! Sol didn't last too long. Hit him a few times, trying to keep a pillar between us, but alas about half way through his health he got me. Okay, I felt I did pretty well for a first try. Lessons learned, their lightning does too much damage. Changed into the Silver Knight Set. First time I've taken off the Gold Hem Set. And look! With that ring I just got I can actually move and roll without crashing into the ground like an obese kid thinking he's a pro-wrestler.

Second Attempt: This time I didn't want to waste my Pyro so early, so I took the Fire sword to Ornstein. I got too damn reckless, and just started hacking at him, without blocking. Worked fine, some what, thanks to a bump up in armor. Supper-Man goes after Sol... so I have arrows go after him. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot :?: :?: :?: No damage. It seems I lost the lock-on and was just firing off to his side. Arrows got his attention though. Plus, this time he ate his Count Chocula cereal because he bolted around the pillars like no one's business. I couldn't get up, couldn't get my sword out, couldn't heal. Dead!!! Dead before Sol, also forgot to grab my souls back, losing the 5 humanity I got from Lautec. :fp: That fight made me crazy, and I was definitely yelling at the TV whenever Super Smough was all over me.

I went up stairs and threw out the garbage. It got a cold last night, and when I got back in the house I noticed I was shaking. Shaking too much to just be from the cold. I think that last fight broke a few nerves. I told my wife I'll give it one more shot and then I'd go watch Community with her.*

Third Attempt: Forgot to un-Hallow so no Sol. Screw it, I didn't want to go all the way back to the bonfire. A lot more hectic without Sol, but I was doing alright, until I got impatient with Ornstein and just hacked away again without shield blocking. I also got sloppy and stopped following Smough's movement when I was getting Ornstein's health low. Killed Ornstein, and I just stood there waiting for the cut-scene to start BLAM! hammer to the back of my head... cut-scene... You Died! I noticed my talking to the TV was louder and angrier that time.

Fourth Attempt: "That last one didn't count, Sol is part of my present strategy, so I demand I give it one more try." Yeah, that could work in a court of law. Ornstein on my nuts again, but shield and patient fireball strategy this time. Mount Fatmore distracted by Sol, so I pounded him with all my fireworks. Sol's dead. Arrow! Arrow! Arrow! Sometimes he stays put a few seconds behind a pillars, sometime not. Lost the lock-on from time to time, but always remembered to check for it. Arrow! Arrow! Arrow! Fucker nails me bad though a pillar then runs up on me smashing. I yelled something that I'm sure wasn't English and did it in a sound that was a cross between a Godzilla roar & my three year old daughter throwing a fit. I cannot consciously duplicate this. Got away, took a swig of health, took two in fact (I learned that I wasn't getting much time to heal here so might as well be completely filled when I can) and suddenly being at full health again I got calm, and just fluidly moved about Arrow! Arrow! Arrow! Wait, his health is that low? Arrow! Can it be! Arrow! YES!!!!! I think I had the same emotional release that I did the first time I knew a girl was going to let me touch her bare tits.

Speaking of tits. Seeing those major melons after was worth the price of a few bouts of rage.

*I was tricked, she put on Grey's Anatomy.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That play by play was awesome.

Shit-- 4 tries? That's pretty fucking top notch The Bill. :beer:

Thank you, but no :beer: for me today :(

I have no problem not drinking on a work day, but knowing tomorrow is Saturday is killing me here.

Anyway just beat Undead Asylum 2 and I'm going to start doing "chores" now. Get that Pyro upgrade in Blightown, kill the Titanite Demons in Sen's, and possible farm some humanity in the Depths. Next week I'll visit the Painted World.

Oh, based on comments here I'm not give the thing to Kingseeker Frampt. See how all that goes.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Havel the Rock? More like Horrible the Rookie. Punked out that punk in two punk seconds.

Watching Dark Souls on Twitch because my boy wanted to see Ornstein & Smough ( I was boasting to him about it). Look at this idiot die over ten times thinking he's going to best them with that slow ass sword. Can't even kill one.

:awesome: I've became such an arrogant prick since Thursday night. Game seems easy right now. O&S leveled me up! I should proceed to the DLC soon. That'll learn me!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

And you wonder why I'm content with an XBOX Silver account. It's funny happening to another person, though.

Slaughtered Sif and a Hydra in the same play through with no bonfire rests between the fights. 8) Where is this Knight Astorias? They claim he's just as bad as O & S. I killed your puppy and defiled your woman's grave for a ring I'll never use. Come, Astorias, face the Hammer of Doom that is The Bill dropping an elbow on your chicken face.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Artorias is in the DLC.

And being trolled is important. It teaches you things about the game. I learned how to dead angle from guys who slaughtered me.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:
spacehamster wrote:Artorias is in the DLC.

And being trolled is important. It teaches you things about the game. I learned how to dead angle from guys who slaughtered me.
Well, I'd say there's not a ton to be learned from someone who pretends to be a vase in one of the most blood-boiling sections of the game, waits for you to ALMOST complete and then rains one-shot fire down on you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Evidently you learned that that spell exists. And actually, especially in DkS (not so much in DeS) where there are so damn many spells in three different categories and you're never going to be able to use them all on the same character until you level up to like SL 200, I do like getting to see the stuff I can't use. Or see people use things I have access to in different ways, for that matter. Oh, AND you learned what sounds like a great way to use the chameleon spell. Haw haw.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:Artorias is in the DLC.
I know where that chooch is hiding. I'm just pondering doing the Painted World first, as it would save me a back and forth to the basin, which is easy now but annoying.

I'm digging the Silver Armor, but was holding off on up-grading it, because I fear wasting souls/material only to find a better set. I won't ask about other sets except for Astorias' own set. I know I can get it there. Is it comparable to Silver. It looks pretty cool.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:I won't ask about other sets except for Astorias' own set. I know I can get it there. Is it comparable to Silver. It looks pretty cool.
Learn to use the Wiki, mang. Looky here.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/silver-knight-set
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/set-of-artorias

A quick look at the stats tells me I'd consider them about equal in terms of pros and cons, and in the end it really depends on what you want and what your equip load is. The silver set is quite a bit heavier, but it also has better overall defense and resistances. The only thing the Artorias set does better is its extremely high fire resistance, and that the whole set is a full four points lighter.

For me personally, the weight makes all the difference, but for the same reason I prefer the Dark set to the Artorias set; it has better defense and resistance on the whole and isn't significantly heavier. For my tastes, the silver knight set is too heavy for what it does. If I'm going to wear something that heavy, I'll go all out and strap on the Stone, Guardian or Black Iron set.

*adjusts glasses, glances lovingly at AD&D book collection*
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:I've never really watched many of these trolling videos but holy shit people are scumb bags :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's one dude who morphs himself into some harmless piece of set decoration right AFTER you get past the archers in Anor Londo but before you get to the bonfire and then just destroys whoever comes by with a fire spell that apparently just kills everything in a certain radius (never played as a caster, so I don't know what the spells are like). haha- dick for the sake of bein' a dick!
That's why people call them dickwraiths. The better the hatemail the bigger the boner.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:
The Bill wrote:I won't ask about other sets except for Astorias' own set. I know I can get it there. Is it comparable to Silver. It looks pretty cool.
Learn to use the Wiki, mang. Looky here.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/silver-knight-set
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/set-of-artorias

A quick look at the stats tells me I'd consider them about equal in terms of pros and cons, and in the end it really depends on what you want and what your equip load is. The silver set is quite a bit heavier, but it also has better overall defense and resistances. The only thing the Artorias set does better is its extremely high fire resistance, and that the whole set is a full four points lighter.

For me personally, the weight makes all the difference, but for the same reason I prefer the Dark set to the Artorias set; it has better defense and resistance on the whole and isn't significantly heavier. For my tastes, the silver knight set is too heavy for what it does. If I'm going to wear something that heavy, I'll go all out and strap on the Stone, Guardian or Black Iron set.

*adjusts glasses, glances lovingly at AD&D book collection*
I've been trying to avoid the Wiki, as I can't just look at one page. Yet, I did stumble on to all that earlier today. Poise is the thing that stops me from being knocked around, so Silver is looking pretty superior right now.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Yes. Keeps you from getting staggered. There's a ring to help boost that as well. I don't remember the breakpoints anymore, as my mind has gone full DS2, but I think as long as you can get >60 you're pretty ok for a few hard hits to the shield. Best tactic is to not get hit more than twice though, just in case.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

reading about all this equipment stuff... makes me reflect on how much I changed my weapons and gear in Dark Souls. in DkS2, I'm STILL using the same sword I found in the first two hours of the game. maybe this should go in that thread? oh well.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The Wolf Ring will raise poise by 40 it says. I must hunt down this ring as it is in the Basin.

That Astorias set looks cool, though. Will I trade up stats for vanity in a game like this?

Paladin looks pretty bad ass, as well.

Dark set should look cool in theory, like Skeletor, but ends up reminding me of nu-Misfits.

What to wear? What to wear? What to wear and look good wearing it?

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I took the chance and got hit with some spoilers, but I decided to watch some Dark Souls lore off Youtube. Totally worth it. Game seems better and less random now. I like the Vaati stuff. Any other recommendations.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I love Vaati's stuff, but I really wish he'd be a bit more clear about how he comes up with it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:I love Vaati's stuff, but I really wish he'd be a bit more clear about how he comes up with it.
Even if he's full of shit, it's shit that makes sense and flows well into the game. That's some shit I can get behind.

Can't do the DLC since I'm saving the Love... the thing for the other snake dude, like you dudes told Geoff to do. So, Duke's is shutdown for renovation. Painted World it is. Must say, I was expecting some dinky little bonus area. This thing is a full on chaotic shit storm, like Undeadberg on rancid cocaine. Didn't progress much as I just tried to get all the soul treasures.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

guardianoftheblind wrote:http://i.imgur.com/jmaJI1R.jpg

Yeah.... I don't get it. I can't place the hands. Looks like Dishonored graphics, quite frankly. Give me Andrew Ryan and we have something.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:It's Kramer.
Oh!

Meh!

The naked George Costanza portrait would have been better.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'm with Geoff. A peaceful land my ass. Plus, her tone was rude with me. I painted the Painted World with the furry bitch's lymphatic system.

Skeleton Wheel dudes weren't the worst, but still annoying. They belong in a Devil May Cry, rather than this game.

New Lorndo or Catacombs, hmm? I must stare into the Infinity Well & meditate on this.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Do New Londo.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You need to beat the Four Kings soon so you can talk to Kaathe and place the Lordvessel for him, and there's a yellow fog gate a bit beyond the Catacombs anyway that won't disappear before you do that.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

One of the first mods I ever installed was a Quake II mod that let me play as Darth Maul. Double lightsabre, force magic, and all that. I'd love to see a Star Wars mod for Dark Souls Image
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

The Bill wrote:I'm with Geoff. A peaceful land my ass. Plus, her tone was rude with me. I painted the Painted World with the furry bitch's lymphatic system.

Skeleton Wheel dudes weren't the worst, but still annoying. They belong in a Devil May Cry, rather than this game.

New Lorndo or Catacombs, hmm? I must stare into the Infinity Well & meditate on this.
no... why you kill her? :(

you haven't been to the catacombs yet? those wheels will get you yet!