The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Spooky Apparition »

a world of no wrote:The fact that DS2 is purportedly going to include a lot of the good mechanics from both games makes me very excited to see how it turns out.
like what from demon's souls? fill me in

in the other thread or you're going to get punched
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Oh you know, just rolled away from a taurus demon and tried to drink an estus, nothing happened. Rolled away again and my character proceeds to drink AFTER I PRESSED THE BUTTON 4 SECONDS AGO. This needs to be fixed, in a game that requires precise actions, lag spikes are a serious detriment.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

you need to draw them out and take them on one at a time. those fucking crystal goblin skeleton zombies do some massive damage if you they clean hit you.

Edit: And they have some wonky AI perception . They'll sneak up on you when you least suspect them to.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Seath is easy as fuck. Either arrow the fucker from afar or get up on his ass and hack away. Getting his tail though... that wasn't so easy for me.

Btw... you probably don't/didn't know this, but there's multiple bosses that give you fancy nice weapons and other things if you hack off their tails. Problem is that said boss tails are not easy to hack at.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

did you get the tail solo? if so, that's pretty good, sir cubes. I still remember one Sunday afternoon I rushed Seath like a dozen times and even with another person we couldn't get the tail (I blame those guys, of course). I gave up and got it on my second playthrough.

so you've just got the demon ruins/lost izalith left now, right? for optional stuff, have you gone into the great hollow (sorta cool) or the painted world (really cool and worth doing)?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

a world of no wrote: Btw... you probably don't/didn't know this, but there's multiple bosses that give you fancy nice weapons and other things if you hack off their tails. Problem is that said boss tails are not easy to hack at.
A-ha, so it was because I was attacking red dragon's tail. I wasn't 100% why I suddenly had the Drak.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

holy shit looks who else recently retried (after initially hating it) and fell in love with dark souls.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Dark-Souls
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

a world of no wrote:holy shit looks who else recently retried (after initially hating it) and fell in love with dark souls.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Dark-Souls
at least the fucker can admit he was wrong :tup:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Image :awesome:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

a world of no wrote:D'sSs is a bit easier than I remember it, but then I've put over 500 hours into DS, which is (despite what some people want you to think) more difficult. The fact that DS2 is purportedly going to include a lot of the good mechanics from both games makes me very excited to see how it turns out.
I think whichever game you start with is the more difficult one. DsS is much more obtuse with the upgrades and those crystal lizards are such a pain with having to warp back to the Nexus to reset the world. I like that both games have similar "The real DsS/DS begins here" bosses in Flamelurker and Smough & Orstein.

Less than 3 weeks!!!
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I think the thing to understand, really, is that for all the hubbub about how hard these games supposedly are, the difficulty isn't the point at all, it's just one of the ways, albeit a major one, that they generate their unique feel and atmosphere, and in the end that's what really sucks you in. You want to love their world and explore it, but it hates you and everything in it tries to kill you. I really fell in love with Demon's Souls when I realized that no other game, at least not in a long time, could create such an intense feeling of dread everytime I played it, yet I kept wanting to come back.

Yahtzee's review is great, and it's really nice to see he finally gets it. There's a lot to appreciate here for someone who hates exactly the kind of Hollywood-ization of games that Dark Souls completely refuses to play along with.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: And, yeah, the atmosphere is unparalleled. Everything in this world is sick, dying, insane or all three.
It's really amazing to me how they took this aspect of Demon's Souls and actually both improved it and managed to not make it feel like they're just repeating themselves - in both you're in a place that you can probably tell was beautiful once, but it's long since gone to shit, the king's insane, all the heroes are dead and zombies and demons are crawling around the decayed ruins of what may or may not have been a great civilization once. So even if you do win, you're about 100 years too late anyway.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:Opinion time: Hardest of the last four mandatory areas? (The places you have to go through to get to any of the final four bosses) I only have two left but am interested in which is going to be the biggest ball ball ball breaker.
New Londo Ruins by far for me. Every single playthrough, it almost makes me weep. I always die in the same spot, even though I know exactly what's coming and how to get past it - the bottom line is, I can only pull it off maybe one in five times at the most. I will gladly ramble about the details and spoil everything for you if you want.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Pisscubes wrote:Opinion time: Hardest of the last four mandatory areas? (The places you have to go through to get to any of the final four bosses) I only have two left but am interested in which is going to be the biggest ball breaker.
Hardest on first playthrough totally blind: Tomb of the Giants.

Hardest/most annoying on subsequent playthroughs: New Londo. I've gotten pretty good at just running through it now, but it's still... ugh. Plus I'm just terrible at fighting the Four Kings no matter how many times I do it. the upside is it has incredible atmosphere.

I really like Archives and Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith isn't too hard if you're powerful enough, it's just not very interesting IMO.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:Opinion time: Hardest of the last four mandatory areas? (The places you have to go through to get to any of the final four bosses) I only have two left but am interested in which is going to be the biggest ball ball ball breaker.
New Londo Ruins by far for me. Every single playthrough, it almost makes me weep. I always die in the same spot, even though I know exactly what's coming and how to get past it - the bottom line is, I can only pull it off maybe one in five times at the most. I will gladly ramble about the details and spoil everything for you if you want.
This one. After "opening" the area though it's a little easier. I used to get my ass handed to me by one particular set of enemies here, but then I spent hours farming them for certain materials, so now I can backstab and parry/riposte their shit with my eyes closed. Dark Silver Tracer one shot, skelefagets!
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

That's so weird, since going through it the first time and dying a few times mapping it out, i've never had any problems with the new londo ruins. The ghosts are all pretty weak and slow, and once you unlock the second area it's super easy to get to the boss fight.

Currently, Tomb of the Giants for me. I hate all the things in it and love very little and still manage to fall off cliffs regularly. Then Duke's Archives, then Demon's Ruins, then New Londo. I think the first time through it was all a nightmare :lol: :lol: but Demon's Ruins was the part that stressed me out the most.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Anor Londo is the part i dread most on all my playthroughs though, if i skip the platforming in blighttown and the frogs in the depths.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

for a dex build, the dark silver tracer is THE SHIT. that might be my favorite weapon in the game actually.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Spooky Apparition wrote:for a dex build, the dark silver tracer is THE SHIT. that might be my favorite weapon in the game actually.
It's only good for p/r and bs, or just R1 spamming for toxic buildup. Normal damage is pure weak. Gold Tracer does far better straight damage, and is great in PvE, but thanks to noobs spamming the fuck out of it in PvP anyone that invades regularly can parry punish the fuck out of you. Very predictable moveset.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

once you unlock the second area it's super easy to get to the boss fight.
Yep, if you don't want to do any looting, you can just sprint straight to the boss fog without touching anyone. Tussling with the Darkwraiths is fun, though.

The spot where I always die is almost at the end of the first run, at the stairs going off to the left from the aqueduct, down to the building where Ingward's on the roof. You can't just run straight into the building (at least not from NG+ onwards) or you'll get swarmed and stunlocked, so you have to draw the ghosts out one at a time, and I always manage to fuck it up somehow. Either my transient curse runs out just as I'm being attacked by two of them at once or I fall off a ledge, or I get ganged up on despite putting 100% focus into not getting ganged up on. I've screamed and punched couch cushions so many times. So many times.

Demon Ruins
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
kind of loses its terror once you realize that you can just drop off the ledge straight to the bonfire and sidestep all of the capra demons that way.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

a world of no wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:for a dex build, the dark silver tracer is THE SHIT. that might be my favorite weapon in the game actually.
It's only good for p/r and bs, or just R1 spamming for toxic buildup. Normal damage is pure weak. Gold Tracer does far better straight damage, and is great in PvE, but thanks to noobs spamming the fuck out of it in PvP anyone that invades regularly can parry punish the fuck out of you. Very predictable moveset.
oh shit, I was thinking of the gold tracer... stupid multiple DLC tracers. I stuck with that for PvE once I got it. If I loaded up my character right now (not going to happen, I've retired Dark Souls) I'd probably still have it equipped.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

gold tracer is fucking awesome. i used to cosplay as ciaran and wreck the shit out of stuff with it, but then i started gettting parried all the time.

dark silver tracer has the highest critical damage in the game though. put on the hornet ring and you're 1-shotting shit everywhere.

speaking of cosplay pvp. about a month ago i noticed that my dex/darkmoon build looks almost exactly like dusk of oolacile, so I geared up all her shit, with catalyst, and invade fuckers. I flip around in my little dress and make fuckers think i'm going to black magic them, only to switch out to a great scythe and shotel duel wield. not very original, but i like to think that during the time i'm prostrating and bowing at them that they're switching up rings and shit to counter magicks. lel... darkmoon dusk has base intelligence, stupid invader/e.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I don't know about all that stuff, but based on the cover, Thor & Dr. Strange are having a hell of a time with the Green Goblin.

Lich, man. Always my favorite undead monster.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i heard they scrapped a ton of shit in 4th edition and are trying to go back to the AD&D type ways..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

riley-o wrote:Anor Londo is the part i dread most on all my playthroughs though
Hardest part of the game with the hardest boss, no question. Currently doing everything I can in my current playthrough except deal with those two fuckheads.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Oh sup jeff. Just get behind a pillar, theyre not that bad
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?