The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: I don't appreciate black colored magic cannon balls being cast at me from the unknown. We'll stop here for now.
Crest Shield for teh winz.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I swear to fuck The Bill... you compare this game to fucking Skyrim one more time and I'm going to have to foe your 12 year old MGL ass.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Manis the Hands of Fate and Seathe the AIDS Dragon exterminated with extreme prejudice and bigotry. Say what you want about The Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, and the Abyss, but I hated the Crystal Cave the most. They just had to had those time consuming claims to boot.

I'm reaching end game and it makes me a little meloncoly. It's like I have one more day on vacation and then I have to pack up to return home.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:The Bill-- dude, you have an entire SEQUEL that's even bigger than the first one ahead of you!

I honestly can't tell you how cool it was that I finished DS1 just in time for DS2.

I'm now looking back and realizing that I have played almost NOTHING for MONTHS other than Dark Souls games.

I actually started an essay the other night when I couldn't sleep about how Dark Souls may have ruined games for me-- if I finish it maybe I'll post it somewhere for other nerds.
Actually, I have an entire prequel (sort of) I'm going to play first. Let those FROM dudes patch it up. Also, do I dare wait for DLC news? DkS1 DLC was totally worth the wait to play it as a whole encompassing thing. Any how, after this game I am taking a break and play some other games I won't get obsessive over.

P.S. Wasted my time creating a few Boss Soul weapons only to find I don't meet the STR, INT, nor Faith requirements. Goddamnit!!!!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

There are other games?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
spacehamster wrote:There are other games?
We all know what a Bioshock Butt Boy I am. So the only real diversion I tried was when the second chapter of the DLC came out a week or two ago.

I don't know if it's the quality of the DLC or just what Dark Souls has done to me, but it just all seemed so pointless, on rails... obvious. :cry: :cry: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
The very beginning of Bioshock BAS 2 was such a blast of fresh air compared to the doom & gloom world of DkS. I was truly digging it, but then came the misery. I really stopped because it became stealth focused, and I wasn't about to put Dark Souls on pause so I could sneak around like a bitch... as a bitch. Once I kill Zeus, though, I'll re-start it.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

Pisscubes wrote: I finished DS1
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:
:invcross: :tup:

I can't even remember how many times I played through TW2 anymore. Six, probably? Anyway, I've probably said it before, but I'm sorta glad TW3 got pushed to next year. God knows I'll be sinking hundreds of hours into that game. And besides, I'm sure they did it for the right reasons.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Pisscubes wrote:
We all know what a Bioshock Butt Boy I am. So the only real diversion I tried was when the second chapter of the DLC came out a week or two ago.

I don't know if it's the quality of the DLC or just what Dark Souls has done to me, but it just all seemed so pointless, on rails... obvious. :cry: :cry: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
I'm no game doctor, but my prognosis is that your affliction may be better understood and treated if you try something other than some fairly shitty DLC created by a skeleton crew of a dissolved company.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
guardianoftheblind wrote:
Pisscubes wrote: I finished DS1
:lol:

OK-- you're right. Still have to go back and finish the DLC, though I got about halfway through. Still, you get my meaning.
Be a man. Be a Klugman, and solo Artorias, like your friend The Bill did.

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Stray Demon part 3 & Fire Centipede extinguished. Honestly, I have no idea what was happening during the Centipede fight. He jumped up on the land and obscured the camera the entire time. I just spammed the attack button and used the flask till it died.

I was expecting Lost Izalith to be something else instead of lava land. While resume tomorrow.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos were just piss poor design. Bad level, shame! They must have let the interns take a crack at it. Anyway, The Great Lord of Cinder was crushed my the new Dark Lord, in one magnificent try. I suppose I should have built stuff and upgraded before I ended it, but I doubt I'll play the 360 version again. May even sell it back. But not yet.

I just played through Undead Asylum, once again.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Angkor Wat influence on Lost Izalith is amazing but it definitely needed more time in the oven. The concept of Bed of Chaos is great too but actually playing it is pretty awful.

Funny thing when people bitch about Dark Souls II being bland or uninspired in the beginning while praising DS as "perfect."

If Pisscubes doesn't solo Artorias, I may have to defriend him on PSN.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I really don't understand why everyone hates Lost Izalith so much. Sure, the giant t-rex butts in the lava are annoying (and apparently they respawned originally, and that was patched out before I even got there), but you can avoid that entire part If you take the chaos covenant shortcut.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Seriously man, it's a top 5 boss battle in the Souls games. Doing it solo is the only way.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Do it, Geoff!
Last edited by The Bill on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:Seriously man, it's a top 5 boss battle in the Souls games. Doing it solo is the only way.
Plus, I don't think he has any exploits. Even O & S had the pillars to help you. Just you and Artorias.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:I really don't understand why everyone hates Lost Izalith so much. Sure, the giant t-rex butts in the lava are annoying (and apparently they respawned originally, and that was patched out before I even got there), but you can avoid that entire part If you take the chaos covenant shortcut.
The dinosaurs didn't really bother me, although it was a bit boring having to rinse & repeat my bow attack to clear out the ones in my way. Having to trek through lava, even with the orange ring was annoying. As for the shortcut, well, I only did that once but the Titanite Demon would have taken longer to kill than the galant run past the statues and lava.

After I beat DkS I went upstairs and proudly told my wife.

"Is that what that yelling was?"

(No, that was the Bed of Chaos)

"Good, you're done."

No praise or congratulations. Even though I beat the game human, I had never felt more Hollow.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

pisscubes wrote:
:cry: This from the woman who once digitally stimulated you in front of a console. :cry: *

*The Bill has already told this story many times on this board
When we were first going out I got her to play HALO co-op with me ONCE. We ended up dry humping while playing. So, (A) it proves women change after marriage/children and (B) I can never hate HALO.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

got bored with the ds2 dlc and came back to S+O on ng+ trying to kill S first. for what actual meaningful or lasting divine purpose i do not know for sure..

its fucking misery. i have choked a handful of times when he's 2-3 hits away. without solaire i would be nowhere at all. so many fucking cheap, janky, homing one hit deaths.. :(

i'm down to 30 something humanity.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote:got bored with the ds2 dlc and came back to S+O on ng+ trying to kill S first. for what actual meaningful or lasting divine purpose i do not know for sure..

its fucking misery. i have choked a handful of times when he's 2-3 hits away. without solaire i would be nowhere at all. so many fucking cheap, janky, homing one hit deaths.. :(

i'm down to 30 something humanity.
What's the issue? Assuming you can kill Smough and just get stuck at Super Saiyan-Stein, here's what I do:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Same thing as if you kill Ornstein first, really. If you can get one of the broken pillars between yourself and him, he'll either try to walk straight towards you, essentially getting stuck on the pillar, or walk around it, in which case you just keep circling. Then you use the recovery periods between attacks to do damage.

The attacks go through the pillar and have massive range, as you've no doubt noticed, so you still have to be very careful and you only get a very short window to do damage between attacks (don't bother with heavy equipment, make sure you're fast), but it becomes more manageable because you and the boss are both basically standing in place and all you have to do is watch him.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i finally did it btw

and four kings after that

:twisted:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:This isn't to say DS2 is a worse game but I don't think there is any question now that it's the easier of the two after playing them side by side.
I wouldn't say that. You know the mechanics and have put a lot of hours into the series. Dark Souls II was my friend's first foray in the series and his reply to my text about the DLC: "I beat it so I can this. Fick that game."
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

after kinda re-basking in the glory of part 1 i'm kinda more in the camp that its a superior game in almost every way. i do like that some aspects of the game systems are less needlessly opaque to the player and certain things are streamlined or tweaked. thats all really cool but for me all of the major story beats and world design is really just about perfect. perfect. and i still haven't touched the dlc..

best game ever made.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR