The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:World of NO had the best answer for me: Tank him with armor you can't usually use. I put on all of Havel's stuff and just marched right up, unlaoded all my fireballs and then slashed at him until death. I didn't even dodge his power magic attack thingy-- just took estaus after each one.

Gravelord Nito is no more.

No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave manlord.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:Well, there's one argument in favor of the console versions...

That said, I guess I'll have to get DkS2 on PS3 and PC. I don't really see any other way. Besides, who knows if the PC version is actually good out of the box this time - I know they've promised up and down it will be, but what developer wouldn't say that? I know I'm actually glad I started the PC version this late, with all the mods out and polished to perfection.
All systems have hackers. I've heard some particularly nasty stuff about PS3 twinks lately. Main difference is that xbl, psn handle it if you flag them. gfwl doesn't do a motherfucking goddamn thing.

I'm still debating with myself on whether to hold on to my ps3 preorder and get the PC one when it comes out or just get PC, because it's rumored to come out day after, or at least within a week. If I had a date I'd be able to make a decisions, but then that's how they get you.

And I'm sure Durante will come up with a fix for the PC no matter what, just to give it the extra bells and whistles that DSfix allows for DS right now.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

ive had maybe a total of like 12-15 dark souls pvp opponents and definitely had one hacker.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

You're fine.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

ok im impressed :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

not 100% sure, but AFAIK it's not possible to get cursed in the first fight with seath... right? I only ever wore high curse resistance stuff for the second fight and I don't remember the curse meter even showing up in the first fight
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

You don't get cursed, you just die. Maybe pre-patches you got cursed and killed at the same time? First time I entered that room, I smiled and waved my finger at the screen and muttered, "those sons of bitches." Goddamn I love a good in-game troll.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i was not the least bit amused
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Lure the two sword wielding ones either down the ladder or keep a pillar between you and the serpent mage while you take care of those two.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I've never been cursed in the game. I guess I have high curse resist armors? Never really looked into it. I never tank though, so I guess just stay away from the curse stuff?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

the fact that I could beat them to the ladder but then couldnt knock them off once they got to the top was :wank:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote: And I'm sure Durante will come up with a fix for the PC no matter what, just to give it the extra bells and whistles that DSfix allows for DS right now.
Well, good. All the more reason to hold off a bit on the PC version and get it when the mods are solid. I know how lame this is, but I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't platinum this one too, so I really don't see a way around getting both versions.

Speaking of which, I got the top ranked SweetFX presets from Nexusmods yesterday, and the color and lighting adjustments are pretty bonerific. I think it may be eating into my FPS a bit, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Will try the HD textures later tonight.
Pisscubes wrote:I'll be FUCKED if those three lizard men at the top of the ladder where you shut off the alarm just didn't kick my ass six times in a row. Motherfucker.
Snipe the regular ones with arrows (preferably poison if you have them) from the opposite platform on the way down. If you don't use poison arrows you likely won't be able to kill them, but they'll be aggro'd and climb down the ladder to where they're separated from the serpent mage and easier to fight. You only have to do this once.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
a world of no wrote: And I'm sure Durante will come up with a fix for the PC no matter what, just to give it the extra bells and whistles that DSfix allows for DS right now.
Well, good. All the more reason to hold off a bit on the PC version and get it when the mods are solid. I know how lame this is, but I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't platinum this one too, so I really don't see a way around getting both versions.

Speaking of which, I got the top ranked SweetFX presets from Nexusmods yesterday, and the color and lighting adjustments are pretty bonerific. I think it may be eating into my FPS a bit, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Will try the HD textures later tonight.
The best place for testing FPS is the chaos covenant bonfire in front of fair lady. When I had way too many texture mods I was getting massive drops there and the rest of the demon ruins. So much so that the game would shove me back to the main menu due to the shit framerate. I would fuck with mods, load up at firelink, and then warp to that bonfire. If shit stuttered and stopped then I knew I had more shit to tweak.

There was some really simple texture mod that really fucked shit up for me... I think it was an arrow retexture or something similarly insignificant. Terrible. Not sure exactly what mods I have working at the moment, but everything runs smooth and looks awesome, so no care. It's all just aesthetic shit anyways.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Was going to get back into Dark Souls... ...but my radiator might have killed my xbox... :|
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:
The best place for testing FPS is the chaos covenant bonfire in front of fair lady. When I had way too many texture mods I was getting massive drops there and the rest of the demon ruins.
I was just down there yesterday night after installing the HD textures and didn't notice anything, so I guess I'm good. The textures look eye-watering. The cracked walls in Sen's Fortress are unbelievable. Between this and the lighting tweak presets, I don't even want DkS2 to come out for another six months.

Okay, that's a lie, but you get the idea.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

spoiler because big, not real spoiler
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote: I was just down there yesterday night after installing the HD textures and didn't notice anything, so I guess I'm good.
Just went there again and it's definitely fine. There's loading hiccups occasionally when I sprint halfway across the game world in ten minutes, like taking the shortcut to the bottom of Blighttown via the Valley of Drakes, but that's hardly a problem.

Now ask me why I walked all the way to the Daughter of Chaos bonfire again. No, really, ask me.

See, I was getting ready to juice up my Pyromancy Flame for the Blubberball & Fuckstick bossfight when I noticed that Laurentius had disappeared. I hadn't used him since literally my first playthrough over 2 years ago, so of course I completely forgot that you can't talk to him about the Fair Lady's pyromancy or he'll go looking for her and die. Whoops. And here my PF's only at +2, so no Quelana either. Double whoops. So I spent about an hour grinding in Darkroot and then hiked all the way down to the Fair Lady, constantly terrified I'd die in Blighttown and lose an hour's worth of soul-grind.

Just when you think you've got this fucking game mastered (I spent a good hour going back through Sen's before that, looting everything and didn't die once), it kicks you in the balls, I swear.

Anyway, Tublord & Dogface are no more. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to beat the Ceaseless Discharge without Flash Sweat. And the Four Kings without Iron Flesh. Sigh.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote:spoiler because big, not real spoiler
:moreawesome: :moreawesome: :moreawesome:
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Hey would you fucking idiots use spoiler tags when talking about Dark Souls 2 for those of us who don't want to know about shit like that please
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote:Hey would you fucking idiots use spoiler tags when talking about Dark Souls 2 for those of us who don't want to know about shit like that please
This ended up being a real popular thread, and pretty useful for folks that have slowly found Dark Souls, like myself. Would a separate Dark Souls 2 thread be wise?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

if we can't even talk about general game mechanics because SOMEONE will get pissed, i have a feeling the dark souls 2 thread would look like this
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
canada sucks
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
now try to find where i insulted riley
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:i have a feeling the dark souls 2 thread would look like this
No, because then it would just be a given that Dark Souls 2 spoilers are in that thread, and Riley and I would not look at it until we've beaten the game for the first time.

In fact, I'm going to start one.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:
spacehamster wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:i have a feeling the dark souls 2 thread would look like this
No, because then it would just be a given that Dark Souls 2 spoilers are in that thread, and Riley and I would not look at it until we've beaten the game for the first time.

In fact, I'm going to start one.
Wait, huh? you and Riley didn't participate in this thread until you'd beaten Dark Souls? :?
Not exactly, but I'll stay the hell out of the DkS2 thread at least until the game's out, and I want to stay out of it until I beat it, but I probably won't. But it's nice to know I could. If it all gets mixed up with discussion of the first one here, it'll be impossibru to avoid spoilers.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I decided to restart Demon's Souls again after not having played it in years. I don't remember fucking shit. SHould be fun.

Most of the mechanics being implemented in DS2:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Riley needs to lay off the protein
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

D'sSs is a bit easier than I remember it, but then I've put over 500 hours into DS, which is (despite what some people want you to think) more difficult. The fact that DS2 is purportedly going to include a lot of the good mechanics from both games makes me very excited to see how it turns out.

That and DS was a rushed fucking game. I'm still pissy about that. DEVS SHOULD NOT RUSH A FUCKING GAME TO MEET A BULLSHIT FUCKING TARGET RELEASE DATE. I'll happily wait another few months for a complete fucking vision. Especially shit like this, because I sink a lot of my life into it, and it's retarded, but I don't care.