The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by The Bill »

I didn't mean to really play anything, but I just killed Mothra. Whoa is the lonely heart that master bates to violence.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:Wait-- seriously?? I'm in the fucking book now???

YOU SAW HOW SHE WAS DRESSED-- SHE WAS ASKIN' FOR IT
this is terrible... how could you kill her? :(
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I've killed her every playthrough. GIMME DAT TAIL BYITCH
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:Got invaded AGAIN by one of those "I move fine and I'll make you totally slow and defenseless dudes"-- that's such fucking bullshit. The guy was a terrible fighter, I had him on the ropes with no damage and then I step up and suddenly am in total slow motion and he, at regular speed just R2s right through my chest, jumps behind me as I can't move away and then backstabs me and that's it. Such bullshit. You can fight like a MAN!
If you see some fuck with a goddamn talisman in their hand and they begin to kneel to cast you start running away. If you get out of the aoe it won't hit you. Twop casters have no fucking balls. NO FUCKING MERCY!!

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:Wait-- seriously?? I'm in the fucking book now???

YOU SAW HOW SHE WAS DRESSED-- SHE WAS ASKIN' FOR IT
this is terrible... how could you kill her? :(
Really, Geoff. She told you you could just walk away.

And that this land is peaceful.

And its inhabitants kind.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: Would I have gotten anything, other than not being a dick, if I hadn't killed her?
Nah, there's a cutscene of you jumping off the cliff and then you spawn in front of the painting in Anor Londo, with all the guardians back to life, of course. They don't see you, though, and the first time you do it the game gives you a homeward bone so you can just warp out of there. The Painted World is a decent spot to farm soft humanity as long as Priscilla's alive and if you didn't get the Xanthous invasion, you've blown that, but that's it. The rare weapons trophy actually requires you to kill Priscilla.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

dude at 3:20 is a badass. check out that use of chameleon

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbY2VjoFOBI<
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

You may remember I only ever beat Artorias with a co-op helper, and I spent weeks complaining on here that he's unbeatable in NG+.

Consider me redeemed. Also, fighting Ciaran is pretty damn fun.

The bad news is that I spent like an hour trying to pull off a successful invasion with the blue and the red eye orb, and I got exactly one (1), in the Demon Ruins, which ended with the guy walking through the boss fog before I'd even seen him. Awesome. I may have to resort to the dumb forest covenant if I'm going to be getting any PVP in before DkS2 comes out. Sigh.

Also, fuck keeping this character at 125, I can't find anyone to play against anyway, so I might as well jack him up. Because I want to use the Abyss Greatsword. Because lol, front flip.

EDIT also, that guy in SA's video who baits his opponent into a backstab only to then switch rings and weapon and confuse the shit out of him is... I mean, damn.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

125 is the high end of pvp. try the butterfly forest/hidden bonfire outside the forest door. also, the burg and the forest are always hopping, as well as o-town. it usually takes me a good 20 minutes before the queue builds up well enough to get constant hits. blue not so much... red like a motherfucker.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:125 is the high end of pvp. try the butterfly forest/hidden bonfire outside the forest door. also, the burg and the forest are always hopping, as well as o-town. it usually takes me a good 20 minutes before the queue builds up well enough to get constant hits. blue not so much... red like a motherfucker.
Yeah, I dunno, I tried all of those places except Oolacile because getting there after killing Artorias was the last thing I did. Has it worked better for you if you repeatedly bonfire'd at the same place or do you warp around a lot? Basically what I've been doing is go to one area, hit the orb, kill everything in the immediate vicinity and keep hitting the orb everytime I get "failed to invade" until everything's dead, go back to the bonfire, repeat. I don't notice anything changing after doing that repeatedly. Maybe it's because I'm in Europe, but I don't get more invasions when it's the evening in my timezone, so I actually don't get the impression I'm only being matched up with nearby players.

I can't wait for f'n dedicated servers.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

What platform are you playing on?

I go to a place and sit, and wait. Sometimes I get invaded or invade almost instantly, but other times it takes 10-15 minutes for everything to get right, and then it stays pretty solid.

You may have network issues as well. I know that GFWL has connectivity problems on both PC and Xbox due to some routers blocking UPnP and NAT.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm on PC. And yeah, I stuck around the township bonfire for a while today, and after a slow start, I got invaded every five minutes. Then I left for a while, came back and it was dead again, though the bonfire kept going out with nobody showing up and I got lots of failed summonings from red signs. Weird. But I did have a whole series of good fights earlier, so I sure had fun tonight. I'm actually getting pretty decent at the PVP, and that makes this... the only online game I don't suck at, basically.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:I'm on PC. And yeah, I stuck around the township bonfire for a while today, and after a slow start, I got invaded every five minutes. Then I left for a while, came back and it was dead again, though the bonfire kept going out with nobody showing up and I got lots of failed summonings from red signs. Weird. But I did have a whole series of good fights earlier, so I sure had fun tonight. I'm actually getting pretty decent at the PVP, and that makes this... the only online game I don't suck at, basically.
Do you have the dried finger from painted world? Hit that shit after an invasion and it significantly shortens the wait for the next. Otherwise you have a wait 5 minutes for pvp connection to respool.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote: Do you have the dried finger from painted world?
Shit, I totally forgot about that. Thanks.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Too bad the whip is so weak. I'd totally go full Castlevania on this game if it wasn't so.

Are large Titanite slabs easy to get. I feel I may have used mine up rather foolishly.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wait, not slabs. Large chunks.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:Wait, not slabs. Large chunks.
Wut? No such thing. There's shards, large shards, and chunks. Plus green shards and chunks in three colors for some of the special upgrades. See spoiler.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
If you're talking about chunks, they're pretty rare until you unlock the endgame, at which point they become extremely easy to farm. Shards, large shards and green shards can all eventually be bought from merchants.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh thanks. It must be (hopefully) large shards, then. I wasted them all on my outfit, which I've since replaced recently with found loot.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

spacehamster wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Nice, thanks dude.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

That upgrade summary is from Wikidot. If you guys don't mind looking stuff up and you're not using that wiki... you really should.

Today's hard-earned lesson: Some motherfuckers are really good with a greatsword. I would've thought that doesn't work.

I gotta say, though, that one of the more fun aspects of PVP is seeing everyone else's playstyles and learning from them. I feel like a complete idiot for not doing this much earlier, but in all honesty, PVP in DeS was always kind of like what Streven described a few days ago, so I was never interested. It made me feel like Geoff - it was like playing Tekken online where I'd lose and not even remotely understand what the other guy just did, except that he hit me first. I don't know what they changed in DkS to make it work better, or maybe it's just me, but lagstab spammers notwithstanding, I've never played ANY competitive online game where I felt like I had a better understanding of what's going on, and if I lose, I know what my mistake is. It's just so. Much. Fucking. Fun.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Welcome to the dark side. Keep in mind that even lag stabbing isn't really the fault of the stabber. They don't notice that their connection is shit and giving them an advantage.

Your next step is making builds specifically for PvP. I've got... 5? I deleted a few. 2 were legit, but after spending days farming and cranking shit for crap I just CE for a fuckton of souls from the beginning, level up at firelink, and playthrough until I get the weapons/armor/spells I need and start fucking fighting. Don't fucking stat hack though. There's a new watchdog program on PC that a lot of people are using to ban people that alter their stats unnaturally. Most of the CE I've used are fucking terrible at changing stats, and they never end up legit. If you "cheat" do it legit, as in mass up on souls and level/farm like a man.

And before anyone gives me shit about it, I'm not going to spend weeks building up a faith build when I could do it in a day or two, only to later find that it sucks balls. Once you start to PvP a lot, you come up with awesome ideas, and you want to fucking try them out without investing a huge chunk of your life into it. It's about the fighting, not the PvE anymore at that point. Besides, 99% of the PvP community do it, and it's fully accepted for the most part, so long as you don't fucking stat hack, or hack cheat in general (curse weapons, stat draining, etc).
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'll probably get more into trying out different builds in DkS2, though. With that just around the corner, I expect 1 to be a wasteland soon. I hope I can get some time in this weekend, but then it's probably bye-bye and I'll just clean out the bossfights for this playthrough.

Totally don't see an issue with just modding your save to give you more souls either, by the way, you're just skipping the time it takes to grind, not creating anything that otherwise isn't possible. And let's face it, if you've played through the game enough times, it's really just saving time, not something you might not be able to pull off otherwise.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'm not sure I did this, but once you Raw a weapon, can you un-Raw it? I know I did something really stupid Sunday. I've been so bummed that I did that, that I haven't played it since. I have this problem with games from time to time. I've re-started whole games from scratch because I did something minor but it buzz killed me. I won't restart this game, but still :?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

you can undo any weapon upgrade. Andre should be able to do it for you.

Raw is the worst...
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The golem is off to the right in the very first area after you take the elevator up. Kind of hard to miss lol.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele