The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Necrometer »

seriously, did either Mike or Grant beat that first dummy boss when you first ran into him? of course you didn't... now shut up
jakebonz@work wrote:Oh, come on...I can make it through the game without dying once.
since I understand this to be a learned thing (i.e. nobody on Earth did or could sit down and play Demon's Souls all the way through without dying on their first go) is there going to be some magic lost in playing the sequel? you already know how to survive in that mode of gameplay, so theoretically ... there might be some people who play Dark Souls through without dying?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

In theory, I'm guessing it could be possible. Being slow and deliberate with every single thing you do is probably the right way to do things. Thorough examination of your surroundings, as well as taking time to simply stop and look around. Keeping your speakers turned up to listen for something very large and very nasty approaching. Farming easier areas for souls and healing items while practicing your combat techniques for harder enemies.

I'm sure a seasoned Demon's Souls player could do it. VERY unlikely, but possible.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Fuck, would there even be a way to prove it? I think that guy would have the biggest e-baming nuts ever put forth...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:seriously, did either Mike or Grant beat that first dummy boss when you first ran into him? of course you didn't... now shut up
No. I'd be surprised if anyone has. But what the fuck does that have to do with whether or not "stay out of harm's way and strike every chance you get" is somehow a retarded and/or unrealistic boss strategy? AGHAGHAGHAGHAGH. Look, I know the point you're really making is that you're mad at this game because you don't understand it and it kicked your ass, but could you at least try to be semi-coherent? On second thought, I really need to take Grant's advice.
jakebonz@work wrote:In theory, I'm guessing it could be possible.
I hear there's lots of traps again, though... Demon's Souls already had some fairly cheap ones, if we're honest, although I guess it's true that pretty much all of them are theoretically predictable, but you always sorta realized that with hindsight.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Necrometer wrote:Fuck, would there even be a way to prove it? I think that guy would have the biggest e-baming nuts ever put forth...
I know for a fact From Software was able to keep track of how many times people died in Demon's Souls. I'm guessing it would be possible for them to track who completed the game without dying...but the only realistic way of proving it would probably have to be some sort of video or maybe a King of Kong-style event with referees and shit.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Yeah Jake but even keeping track of deaths, one could do a new install for a second playthrough, right? There's no great way to verify that. I would love it if some self-proclaimed bad-ass WAS bold enough to set up a "perfect playthrough" with refs and everything looking over his shoulder... just to die in 5 minutes.
spacehamster wrote:
Necrometer wrote:seriously, did either Mike or Grant beat that first dummy boss when you first ran into him? of course you didn't... now shut up
No. I'd be surprised if anyone has. But what the fuck does that have to do with whether or not "stay out of harm's way and strike every chance you get" is somehow a retarded and/or unrealistic boss strategy? AGHAGHAGHAGHAGH. Look, I know the point you're really making is that you're mad at this game because you don't understand it and it kicked your ass, but could you at least try to be semi-coherent?
OLD MAN KEEPS QUOTING CLOUD

all I was ever trying to say is that the game really caught me off-guard because a seemingly obviously painful thing (getting stepped on by massive spiny trollfeet) turns out to be harmless... and you know this, yet you're mad... now transpose my words into your special brand of herp derp speak and the circle will be complete
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

spacehamster wrote:I hear there's lots of traps again, though... Demon's Souls already had some fairly cheap ones, if we're honest
i just want to quote this because of how far you jumped down my throat when i said the exact same thing
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i'm just pleased that i'll be able to play dark souls with my noob xbox controller and i wont have anyone to bitch to when the game sodomizes my mouth and eyesockets and leaves me for another younger prettier girl.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

I hope they turf that blacl/white world stuff or at least do a heavy reworking of it.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

they did. it says so in the link that andrew posted that i didn't read because i dont want anything spoiled.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

:ylt:
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

spacehamster wrote:Anyway, what's everyone's plan concerning walkthroughs and wikis this time? I've kinda resolved to at least try to do my first playthrough without any outside help, but early reports indicate that it's just as cryptic as Demon's Souls was, so I guess we'll see.
i guess the previously physical strategy guide that comes with the collector's edition is now digital, so i'm hoping i can control+F anything that stops my progress, or just ask in here since i assume a few of you guys will be ahead of me.

i'm a little concerned about missing out on/not fully understanding some of the game's intricacies, like world tendency and upgrading in demon's souls... but mostly i'm just fucking excited. the review previews (?) basically confirm what i hoped, which is that it's demon's souls but even more difficult and massive.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote:
spacehamster wrote:I hear there's lots of traps again, though... Demon's Souls already had some fairly cheap ones, if we're honest
i just want to quote this because of how far you jumped down my throat when i said the exact same thing
I'm pretty sure we were talking about boss encounters and not traps (how far did you get again? I don't recall there being any of the sorts of traps I'm referring to in the early levels), but if I did say that... okay, fine, retracted.
Spooky Apparition wrote: i'm a little concerned about missing out on/not fully understanding some of the game's intricacies, like world tendency and upgrading in demon's souls... but mostly i'm just fucking excited. the review previews (?) basically confirm what i hoped, which is that it's demon's souls but even more difficult and massive.
All of this +1, yeah. I'm really trying not to get too hyped up for this game, and I keep telling myself there's no way I'll love it as much as I love Demon's Souls, but absolutely everything I've seen and read so far has been exactly what I wanted to hear. And if it really is that good and I miss out on something on the first playthrough, it's not really a problem because it's not like I'll only play it once.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

BTW, I played a bit of Demon's Souls today, and it's flat-out amazing to me how many people seem to still be playing. Bloodstains and messages everywhere, and when I revived before the Old Monk, I immediately found two blue soul signs and the phantom was a real player twice in a row. :tup:
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

yous got a chunk of dragonstone? :lhug:
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

fallbacktostone wrote:dark souls with my noob xbox controller
Seriously considering the 360 version just so I can use that controller. Anyone ever try one of those adapters to use a 360 controller on a PS3 system? Probably a waste of money.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

also considering switching my preorder for just that reason
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Schwartz wrote:yous got a chunk of dragonstone? :lhug:
Probably. What version of the game do you have?
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

spacehamster wrote:BTW, I played a bit of Demon's Souls today, and it's flat-out amazing to me how many people seem to still be playing. Bloodstains and messages everywhere, and when I revived before the Old Monk, I immediately found two blue soul signs and the phantom was a real player twice in a row. :tup:

I was playing last night for the first time.

It's gonna take me awhile to figure this game out...
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote:
Probably.
Correction: I can definitely spare a Chunk of Dragonstone. If you have the American version of the game, PM me.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

spacehamster wrote:
spacehamster wrote:
Probably.
Correction: I can definitely spare a Chunk of Dragonstone. If you have the American version of the game, PM me.
yep I do, I think I need 2 to upgrade to a full dragon long sword but I've killed millions of fat ass bear bugs and taken all of the chunks in the lava and can't for the live of me get any more. Does anyone know if you have to have a certain amount of luck to get the bear bugs to drop something different?

also have the same question about the geckos dropping pure moonlightstone, because that is pretty gay that you can only get that stone from geckos
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Magick Sam wrote:I don't think it's luck so much as world tendency actually
Yep. Luck only improves drop rate, not quality. World tendency improves drop quality.
Sir Schwartz wrote: also have the same question about the geckos dropping pure moonlightstone, because that is pretty gay that you can only get that stone from geckos
Ha. Just be glad you're not looking for a pure Bladestone...

You want to spend a couple of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes and then suicide in body form until world tendency is black. There's a finite number of Geckos, though, so you may already be SOL. It'll still work for the bear bugs, though. I'd only do this if you're planning on stopping after the first playthrough, though, the Dragon Long Sword will soon become useless in NG+ because it doesn't have stat scaling, and you'll have spent all this time farming for nothing.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

welp I've exhausted all the Ephemeral Eyes in the game besides the one you can buy, I've made it to the last King in Boletaria before the end but I keep keeping crushed with such low HP and then the 15 minute trek just to get back to him is pissing me off

So here goes nothing again...
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

apparently I was playing too much last night because on my firs try today I slayed the Old King without getting hit once.

Sir Schwartz has defeated all demon's in a record time of 59 total hours.

I will maintain that this time is really good if you subtract the 10 hours where the game was on but I was too busy weeping
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

The Demon Souls Thread
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do