The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

The Dark Souls Thread

Post by jakebonz@work »

Yeah, it's a bit early, but fuck it. The game will be awesome.

However, if you happen to get your hands on a copy early, I would suggest you DON'T play it online:

http://www.incgamers.com/News/29047/fro ... ls-players
From Software is killing early Dark Souls players
21 Sep 2011 at 16:39:34 by John Robertson

Yes, you're reading that correctly.

From Software, developers of Demon's Souls and it's upcoming 'spiritual successor' Dark Souls, are taking a characteristically uncompromising approach to players who have managed to get their hands on the game early.

Like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls comes packed with a mechanic that allows players to invade other's worlds. From Software are using this feature to send out maxed-out characters into the early-adopters games and systemically killing them off.

The tragic element in all of this is that it's the Japanese retail stores that are at fault, some releasing the game early ahead of tomorrow's official launch.

Screenshots (like the rather fuzzy one above) show characters at the maximum level of 145 and packing the top-level 99 for all of their stats being used as invaders. We're currently in the process of reviewing Dark Souls, roughly 35 hours in and we're at level 29... just in case you thought From Software's tactics weren't all that harsh.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by fallbacktostone »

that is fucking amazing and terrible :mastoman:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

As if I didn't already love this game way too much for something I've never played.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

I was waiting to read 'bout some krunk 69in action.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

fallbacktostone wrote:that is fucking amazing and terrible :mastoman:
I'd love do be in on that developer's meeting:

"Hmm...people are playing the game early...what's the most dickheaded way we can stop them without turning off the servers or banning people?"
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

jakebonz@work wrote:
fallbacktostone wrote:that is fucking amazing and terrible :mastoman:
I'd love do be in on that developer's meeting:

"Hmm...people are playing the game early...what's the most dickheaded way we can stop them without turning off the servers or banning people?"
i can't think of anything funnier and more to the heart of the game itself than that. i envy whoever the employees are that get to do the cleaning up.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

i will support this thread eventually, even if it makes Torsion mad
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

i convinced two of my ho-hum-i'm-so-over-games friends to pre-order dark souls through sheer contagious enthusiasm & salesmanship.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i'm not watching or reading anything else about it until it's in my machine

i preordered it for ps3 but i don't really have any particular reason why. does it matter at all? because i assume that you probably won't get to choose who you play with again
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Two more weeks... :cry:
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

copstache wrote:i'm not watching or reading anything else about it until it's in my machine

i preordered it for ps3 but i don't really have any particular reason why. does it matter at all? because i assume that you probably won't get to choose who you play with again

I've heard the 360 version is a port so you'd be getting the lead version with the PS3.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

wait is that article really telling me that first dummy/impossible boss from Demon's Souls was killable? fuck my life, I'm only playing art games from now on

hahaha watching some youtuber do it now - you can just hang out by his feet? no fucking wonder that game never made any sense to me...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

so what happens if you beat that original boss ?
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

you get a mere 500 souls!

some commenter said you go to a room with beaucoup treasure and THEN you die but he may have been a trickster
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: hahaha watching some youtuber do it now - you can just hang out by his feet? no fucking wonder that game never made any sense to me...
Yeah, imagine that - a boss strategy that involves staying out of harm's way. Makes, like, no sense at all.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

it's unrealistic as hell... I thought we were beyond shit where you just roll around with no remnant of a fourth wall

his toes are even spiky

everyone stupider than MIKE go to 5:50 to see what happens next... it's pretty funny actually:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:it's unrealistic as hell... I thought we were beyond shit where you just roll around with no remnant of a fourth wall
So what's your complaint now, that the strategy is to get so close that he can't hit you with his axe or that the dodge roll is overpowered? Make up your mind.
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

I found Demon's Souls on Craigslist for $15. So, I'm gonna buy that and have it beat in two weeks! Plenty of time to be ready for Dark Souls
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Stop quoting him, spacehamster. It's painful reading any posts about Demon's Souls not making any sense.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

CoconutBackwards1 wrote:I found Demon's Souls on Craigslist for $15. So, I'm gonna buy that and have it beat in two weeks! Plenty of time to be ready for Dark Souls
There are detailed walkthroughs for nearly every scenario in the game in the Demon's Souls thread. Good Luck!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote:
Necrometer wrote:it's unrealistic as hell... I thought we were beyond shit where you just roll around with no remnant of a fourth wall
So what's your complaint now, that the strategy is to get so close that he can't hit you with his axe or that the dodge roll is overpowered? Make up your mind.
"roll around" = "walk" or "move" in USA slang
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

Hahah. Thanks.

I'll look into them. I was kidding about me beating the game in two weeks. I'm guessing this game is gonna beat me into submission.
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Oh, come on...I can make it through the game without dying once.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:Stop quoting him, spacehamster. It's painful reading any posts about Demon's Souls not making any sense.
I'm tryin', man, I'm tryin'.

Anyway, what's everyone's plan concerning walkthroughs and wikis this time? I've kinda resolved to at least try to do my first playthrough without any outside help, but early reports indicate that it's just as cryptic as Demon's Souls was, so I guess we'll see. I just think with hindsight that there are some really cool things in Demon's Souls that would've been even cooler if I'd discovered them myself.