The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Spooky Apparition »

you get demonite titanite from them, which is used to upgrade certain weapons.. mostly weapons made from boss souls, I think?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote:you get demonite titanite from them, which is used to upgrade certain weapons.. mostly weapons made from boss souls, I think?
Let me guess. I'm going to need those if I want to fully up-grade a weapon, because they don't sell them. Well, I guess when the game lets me teleport it's on my to do list. Image
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

You only need Demon Titanite to upgrade boss soul weapons, and there's a respawning (though also harder to kill) titanite demon elsewhere in the game that's easier to get to. Don't worry about that. But do go back for the ring of steel protection and the flame stoneplate ring.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Also, now that we're at the end of the Dark Souls 1 era, when's the last time anyone has heard from Jakebonz, he of the multiple Demon's Souls platinum trophies? I looked at his PS3 trophies once, and it looks like he never even finished this one. What happened? Did he get burned out on the game? Why has the master abandoned us?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

I sent Jake a message on PSN and told him to make a triumphant return here, and he did post a little bit a few months ago. he's still on PSN from time to time, but who knows why he bailed on Dark Souls.... or us :(
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Aside from the fact that I miss the dude on here, I'm kind of curious if he had similar issues with DkS as me initially, his perception obviously having been even more warped by playing too much Demon's Souls, and just never got over them.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Just smacked around gwyn for the last time : (
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Last night was the first time I didn't feel challenged as much as annoyed. Two stupid silver knight snipers took me forever to get passed only for me to get killed from behind moments before I could activate a bonfire. Had to do it all again. Also, I'm having a hell of a time with the silver knights unless I pyro them. Worst of all, I killed a Titanite Demon only to also die and now whatever he dropped is gone. So I'm out 2 demon titanites. I quit after that.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Anor Londo archers? Pht. Nobody dies at the Anor Londo archers. If that shit gave you trouble, give up and play Farmville instead.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
True version: if you got past those fuckers on your second attempt, then kudos to you, sir. That part is probably to blame for more broken controllers than most of the rest of the game.
For silver knights in general, either use a greatshield or learn to parry. Most of their attacks will bounce off a greatshield (eagle shield if you don't have the STR to carry any of the others), giving you time to counter. And parrying works well because their attacks are very telegraphed, and you don't need a lot of room, which takes the terror out of the encounters in narrow areas. Backstabs work well too.

Welcome to Anor Londo, The Bill. This city will either grow hair on your balls, or it will eat you. If you make it past the bossfight, you'll probably finish the game.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:The Anor Londo archers? Pht. Nobody dies at the Anor Londo archers. If that shit gave you trouble, give up and play Farmville instead.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
True version: if you got past those fuckers on your second attempt, then kudos to you, sir. That part is probably to blame for more broken controllers than most of the rest of the game.
For silver knights in general, either use a greatshield or learn to parry. Most of their attacks will bounce off a greatshield (eagle shield if you don't have the STR to carry any of the others), giving you time to counter. And parrying works well because their attacks are very telegraphed, and you don't need a lot of room, which takes the terror out of the encounters in narrow areas. Backstabs work well too.

Welcome to Anor Londo, The Bill. This city will either grow hair on your balls, or it will eat you. If you make it past the bossfight, you'll probably finish the game.
Well, with the archers I was pinned down and played a very slow game with peek-a-boo arrows until I got impatient and made a mad dash for them. I thought they would be chumps up-close. Whoops! Second time took forever but I finally wittled one down to death, and the other dude was easy since he deiced to fire into a wall, while I arrowed him in the crotch. Then a silver knight ran up on me at the bonfire before I saved the game. :fp: Had to do the whole archer thing over. Tedious.

As for the Silver Knights. I have a +3 Black Knight Shield. Great shield? Do I have one? Wait, I found Havel's set last night. Parry? I don't think I've parried once yet in the game thus far :shock: / :oops: I've gotten this far with my magic bombardment, arrow cheap shot, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time style melee strategy. I've maneuvered to their backs (and other enemies' backs) but I swear the game doesn't always back-stab when I tell it to. I must be doing something ever so slightly wrong.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

What I really need is a merchant. My arrows are starting to run a little low. I saw once there were fire and poison arrows I could buy. Anyhow have a positive experience with those, or do they do negligible damage to tougher foes?
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

The Bill wrote:What I really need is a merchant. My arrows are starting to run a little low. I saw once there were fire and poison arrows I could buy. Anyhow have a positive experience with those, or do they do negligible damage to tougher foes?
Arrows are a bad idea unless you can snipe from far away, especially early in the game. That shouldn't be your primary weapon.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:What I really need is a merchant. My arrows are starting to run a little low. I saw once there were fire and poison arrows I could buy. Anyhow have a positive experience with those, or do they do negligible damage to tougher foes?
If you have the stats to use a bow effectively, it can be very handy. I've never used fire arrows extensively in DkS, but poison arrows can get you out of some fights because you can just poison enemies and then wait for them to croak. The only downside to using a bow is that it requires both hands, so if you suddenly get attacked and have to switch back to your shield, you'll end up fumbling the controls in a blind panic. They're definitely most useful for sniping, but I use them in regular combat too.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Yeah, I'm pretty good with the bow, Captains. Killed most of the bosses with it so far. Yet, shield carriers or monsters that get in your face are bad news for it. Dark Souls A.I. can actually be pretty damn thick at times, the bow makes them pay for that.

Maybe I should create a lightning bow, and equip it with poison arrows. WHOA!!! :bean:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
The Bill wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty good with the bow, Captains. Killed most of the bosses with it so far. Yet, shield carriers or monsters that get in your face are bad news for it. Dark Souls A.I. can actually be pretty damn thick at times, the bow makes them pay for that.

Maybe I should create a lightning bow, and equip it with poison arrows. WHOA!!! :bean:
If you're using the bow that much then, yeah, by all means-- go get that shit!
Did some quick research, and it seems that +15 is way better than creating a lighting or fire bow. Also, a composite bow (which I have yet to find) is a great close quarters bow. Remember when I was loaded and bought 999 arrows? Was drunk The Bill on to something?

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Lightning and fire upgrades aren't worth it in the long run because they remove stat scaling.

Personally, I find that the longbow is more versatile than the composite bow. Even at closer ranges, the slower drawing time has never been a problem for me, and it's far better for sniping - the composite bow has the shortest range out of all of the bows. Longbow + feather arrows + hawk ring = shooting fleas off of dogbutts from a mile away.

And of course Dragonslayer Longbow for the heavy artillery stuff and knocking annoying enemies off ledges from a distance.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:Lightning and fire upgrades aren't worth it in the long run because they remove stat scaling.

Personally, I find that the longbow is more versatile than the composite bow. Even at closer ranges, the slower drawing time has never been a problem for me, and it's far better for sniping - the composite bow has the shortest range out of all of the bows. Longbow + feather arrows + hawk ring = shooting fleas off of dogbutts from a mile away.

And of course Dragonslayer Longbow for the heavy artillery stuff and knocking annoying enemies off ledges from a distance.
Hawk Ring? I don't want that. Wanting something is childish. I NEED that.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If you have access to lightning upgrades, you can also get the hawk ring.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
It's in a chest tucked away behind the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo. Just walk behind him and you'll find it.
What I've learned today: With some decently timed healing, NG+ Manus can still be tank'd with Eagle Shield + Iron Flesh. But my little cheese trick with the Elizabeth's Mushrooms for Kalameet that worked just fine and dandy the first time? Yeah, not so much. Gonna have to do this one properly.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spacehampster.... Mike...

I could kiss you right on your face mouth. Great Shield was a game changer. At first I was bummed because my strength was no where near Havel's requirement. Then I saw I had the Eagle Shield. I'm slightly perturbed that it only blocks 95% of damage, but finally not getting knocked around like an assshole was huge. Leveled that mother up to +5, and away I went.

Then I found the blacksmith and up'ed the Bow to +10. Created Quigley Down-under's Firesword, and up'ed the Ugi Katana and Scimitar to +10. Bought 999 regular arrows. Bought some large arrows (I want more, will grind for next time)...

While I was looking through my junk I saw that I had the Great Chaos Fireball. No recollection of getting this. So, leveled up my attainment to see that I still would have to level up one more time to get a new slot. :x Those souls should have gone to Vital instead. Fuck! Dumped two other Pyros to fit the new spell in. I like it though. Fling! KA-BLEWY!!!

Time to see what's what with The O & The S, buuuuuuuuut, it's getting late and as per my agreement I would watch one show with the lady I bang. Next time, assholes! Yet, dark eye cringing or blinking, what? I invade some assholes who shred the fuck out of me. :shock: Lautec? Name is familiar. Did I save this asshole from jail once? Hard Boss fight before a hard boss fight. I have some meditating to do.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

:tup: :lol:

If nothing else, I'm glad this has apparently taught you that you need to look at your equipment and try stuff. You've still got some tough bossfights ahead of you, and gear is key.

Anyway, I think that 95% damage reduction is actually still pretty damn high given that the eagle shield has a strength requirement nowhere near the other greatshields and otherwise has the same effect, not to mention pretty good lightning defense as well. Since I didn't bother to learn how to parry for a long time, it was hard to justify carrying around any other shield - just turtle up behind the eagle shield, counter, bam, dead. Now I basically don't use it because it's ugly and parrying is more fun.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I swear I've never really seen what this Orstein and Smough look like. I know the names well enough from this and the general games thread. Hell, I remember people beating hard parts of other games and claiming it as that game's Orstein and Smough. I just had to look:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
What a bunch of assholes. Looks like Laurel and Hardy up in this piece. WILL YOU!!!!

That's right I'm talking shit. They can't handle none of me.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

You're now required to film yourself during your first 20 attempts at O&S. No need to do screencapping, we already know what's happening there.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

this is my favorite O&S rage vid. maybe I've already posted this here, can't remember. seems like this guy tries to fight them like... 40 times?

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3AY-ZNsmI<
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Aaah. Sympathy LOL is good LOL.

Of course The Bill won't be able to summon anybody because DkS is a ghost town right about now. I mean, just thought I'd point out the obvious here.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

hah, yeah good luck with that Bill. just don't use THAT bonfire like that fool did and have to make that long journey every time :lol:

I like how that dude's breaking point seemed to be when he couldn't even get to the boss fog without losing most of his health. that's happened to me more than a few times where I start getting so pissed that I get sloppy and start getting killed by regular enemies... that's usually when I hang it up for the night.