The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by The Bill »

a world of no wrote:It's insanely easy to pull off though, especially with the great scythe. I just unlock and jump/run to the side of the opponent and R2. That particular fight was a pretty lucky one, and the parry was easy because he was freaking out R1 spamming. I was laughing like a retard the entire time.
Yeah? Hows well does that shit work with the in-game enemies. You dead angle those O & S bosses that people have so much trouble with?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ornstein yes. I usually don't lock on to those two during the dual duel. Great scythe recks shits hard.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Good for you!

Now get to finish half of the game in NG+ to access the DLC.

You will end up doing it before DS2... You can try not to, but you won't be able to not do it, so go ahead and start now!
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Your confidence level is too high. I hope you're playing human for invades, son. That's your real experience.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Yep. He hasn't been humbled by Artorias, Kalameet or Manus yet. :awesome: Walk on home, boy.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Welcome to the Gentlemen's Club of Slayers of Gwyn, Geoff. Now do it in NG+. And talk to the other primordial serpent, if you like invading. Cuz... you know there's two, and Frampt's been lying to you, right?

Meanwhile, I met my first Vagrant today.

At the goddamn top. Of the goddamn ramp. Leading up to the goddamn archers. In goddamn Anor Londo. Geronimooooooooooooo...
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Getting summoned I think only depends on level, I was getting summoned into peoples NG+ battles with O&S on my first playthrough simply because I was level 100 at the time.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:+NG +NG +NG
AGHAGHAGAGHAGH. Basic RPG nerd terminology. Get it right. Thank you.

Anyway, the other penalty for invading is that people can indict you, which opens you up for invasions from players in the Darkmoon Blade covenant. And that's the only type of invasion where the invader's SL can be way, way higher than yours.

If you're going to do more of this, you don't want to just run out of cracked red eye orbs, join the Darkwraith covenant and get the regular red eye orb, that one's not a consumable.

Getting in that covenant:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
When you get the Lordvessel, don't go talk to Frampt. Instead, keep it (you can still warp, so it doesn't really matter) and go kill the Four Kings. After you kill them, another primordial serpent will appear in the Abyss, and ask you to place the Lordvessel for him. He will let you join the Darkwraith covenant, and after you level up a bit by sacrificing humanity, you get the red eye orb. And some interesting lore tidbits, and a badass set of armor later.
Or just go to popular invasion hotspots in human form and wait to be invaded. That way you also don't lose any souls if you lose the fight, making it a great way to rack up souls quickly.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Geoff, read Mike's spoiler. Not only does it allow you to join the dickwraithe covenant and fuck with everyone, but it gives you a different...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
GAME ENDING
DON'T
TALK
TO
FUCKING
FRAMPT!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:Geoff, read Mike's spoiler. Not only does it allow you to join the dickwraithe covenant and fuck with everyone, but it gives you a different...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
GAME ENDING
Zuh?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I thought the two endings played out depending on whether you light the bonfire at the end or just walk out the door, no matter what you did with Frampt and Kaathe. I haven't consciously tested it myself, but it's what the Wiki says - if you walk out the door without lighting the bonfire, you get the Dark Lord ending even if you've never talked to Kaathe. Obviously that ending is what Kaathe wants you to do and the other is what Frampt wants, but you can do what you want. I thought.
Anyway, Geoff, if you're at all interested in the story, doing the Darkwraith covenant storyline is really worth it. It's hard to find, but not hard to do.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

No, you're correct, but most poeple aren't aware that they can make that choice until they talk to Kaathe, which many people don't even know exists unless they get lucky and avoid Frampt before 4Kings.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Yeah, it's all pretty much like the most cryptic parts of Demon's Souls... even after talking to Kaathe, I don't think it's clear that there's a choice at the end, much less what you're supposed to do.

And as much as I appreciate that, I don't think burying the red eye orb under what is probably the game's best-hidden storyline is a great idea. Not exactly conducive to lots of online activity, anyway.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

pretty much every covenant has an item that lets you "invade" endlessly. At least forestbros, dorkbros, dickwraithes, and gravelords do, sort of. Talk to Kaathe and join up and you get the red eye orb, which is as endless invade as you get.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Also, big PvP event today (probably going on right now) and tomorrow.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comme ... _march_89/
For those that haven't heard, there is going to be a massive PVP event THIS WEEKEND March 8-9 to send off Dark Souls 1 with a momentous bang. Hearing the overwhelming outcry of the populace, I think we should all organize this event about the Kiln of the First Flame. Here are the details:

-2 waves per day: 1 @ 10 am (CST) and another @ 6 pm (CST)
-Recommended SL: 100-130 (125 is best)
-Where? The Kiln of the First Flame
-All covenants are allowed to participate
-No restrictions on equipment/spells. Just don't hack
-No restrictions on gameplay.
-All gaming platforms welcome
-Indict, indict, indict.

There is no theme for this event, it's really just "come as you are," but I do really want to see a lot of cosplaying, mainly for that little extra nostalgia. If you can, do it. I want to see a lots of solaire's, smough's, artorias', and whatever other character/enemy you want. Not in any way compulsory, but I'm sure it would make everyone's day to see so many familiar faces.

Obviously you will need to give yourself time to prepare if you are not already prepared to enter the Kiln. Hopefully this will not only encourage more people to finish that last play through, but also give us a big open venue for some PVP mania. So whether you are a sunbro, darkwraith, or even a regular host, all are encouraged to get in on this celebration. I'm really exited about this and hope you all will come out in force to see this wonderful game off and celebrate the beginning our adventures in Dark Souls 2. See you then. Praise the Sun!

March 8th and 9th - Wave 1:
8 AM (PST) /
10 AM (CST) /
11 AM (EST) /
4 PM (GMT)

March 8th and 9th - Wave 2:
4 PM (PST) /
6 PM (CST) /
7 PM (EST) /
12 AM-Midnight (GMT)
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

spacehamster wrote:Yeah, it's all pretty much like the most cryptic parts of Demon's Souls... even after talking to Kaathe, I don't think it's clear that there's a choice at the end, much less what you're supposed to do.
yeah it wasn't to me. i was like "oh cool bonfire" game over..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Hellkite Dragon becomes borderline unkillable in NG+ because he can regenerate health. I think I may have killed him with the dragonslayer bow once, but I'm not even sure anymore. The wiki says you can kill him with melee. I say I get stomped and tail-swiped to death in ten seconds when I try that.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

It's doable on ng+ with melee. Run up the stairs and hide from the fire breath in the corner, wait for him to jump down. Whack him a couple times in the foot (was using uchi +15 two handed) and run back down the stairs. Took about five minutes.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:Also, big PvP event today (probably going on right now) and tomorrow.
Agn. Well, I'll be prowling the Kiln two hours too early with an SL 145 character. Best I can do. Sigh.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
a world of no wrote:Also, big PvP event today (probably going on right now) and tomorrow.
Agn. Well, I'll be prowling the Kiln two hours too early with an SL 145 character. Best I can do. Sigh.
I got one character as far as bed of chaos before having to go to band practice. haven't touched since... missed it all. won't play again until tuesday. goodbye for now, dark souls. i'll be back one day. :invcross:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Man, it took the Iron Golem to bring me back down to Earth.

Friday, I did real well in Sen's Fortress... was doing real well in Sen's Fortress until I got too damn drunk again. And started falling off all the ledges. Only positive is I guess I grinded enough to buy a bunch of large shards and up one of my swords to +10 and my bow to +8. Then I ran around lost for a while. Then I threw up, but I'll tell that story in my general games thread. Oh, there was a basement with a couple of crippled demon statue monster things (like the thing between the blacksmith and Darkroot Garden) should I go back to mess with that? That looked like a nightmare, and I have no other reason to ever step foot in that place again.

So, Sunday I started up again. Was able to walk in a straight line. Kicking all the knights' asses, until the Golem. I was knocked off the roof and dodged right off the roof so many damn times. I was on a pretty good roll with the bosses till that. Finally got the fuck, but if I didn't have my pyro I'd be fucked. Anor Londo reminds me of Cloud City from Empire, nice change of pace after the Fortress, Blighttown, and Depths.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I don't remember there being anything worth going after at the bottom of Sen's Fortress. There's some good loot elsewhere, though, like two of the most useful rings in the game.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:I don't remember there being anything worth going after at the bottom of Sen's Fortress. There's some good loot elsewhere, though, like two of the most useful rings in the game.
The armor ring, lightning spear, and item dropping ring are all I remember getting. Anything else didn't standout. Maybe some wizard clothes. I don't know, I was falling off ledges the whole time.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote:I don't remember there being anything worth going after at the bottom of Sen's Fortress. There's some good loot elsewhere, though, like two of the most useful rings in the game.
The Titanite Demons are down there and a ladder to one of the giants.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:
The Titanite Demons are down there and a ladder to one of the giants.
Yeah, those assholes. Any real reason to kill them? That looked grizzly down there, and I'd rather not have to lurk around Sen's again for where it find it.